Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master (29846 Views)

Buhari Presented With His National ID Card (Photos) / Kachikwu Sanctions NNPC Staff Over Scandalous Project Exposed By PREMIUM TIMES / ”APC To Release Scandalous Documentary Against President Jonathan" FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 29, 2014
obiscolly:
Only an eediot like you isn't bothered about security when you use your ATM but come on public platforms to display your ignorance and stupidity. Who processes your ATM transactions? Isn't it MasterCard and Visa? U must be a pathetic joker to think they don't have your data...

The write up never even said MasterCard is storing sensitive data. They're just handling the transactions carried out with card. Illiterates like you with no common sense just spewing trash everywhere..

Cold blooded retardd!
Nobody asked for a Mastercard powered National ID Card, ain't it? Please use your brain and argue reasonably.

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by bongolistik(m): 10:55pm On Aug 29, 2014
Urine: Reading some comments here, you have to wonder if people actually have working brains. How can a sovereign government willfully hand over data of its citizens to a foreign organisation? How in this world does that make sense? I know most folks have inferiority complex issues but this is simple and straightforward you keep Nigerian data on Nigerian soil. As a Data Analyst this decision baffles me, in the past few months why has Germany and China being extra sensitive about their data falling into foreign hands? Folks are getting dumber by the day in this country.
and u dat is talking i gues if i check ur walet nw, i wil see mastercard in dier. So dint u sell ur own self 2 mastercard? Why is it nw paining u dat goverment did same tin dat u wr already doing?
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by bongolistik(m): 11:01pm On Aug 29, 2014
enigmaotr:
Nobody asked for a Mastercard powered National ID Card, ain't it? Please use your brain and argue reasonably.
and who told u dat? So which one did u demanded 4? I gues none. Get it in2 ur head dat d card is multi purpose nd dat is y matacard came in. Tel us nw, is dier any nigerian card technology dat can handle it d way mastercard already does. I gues if i check ur walet nw., i wil see matercard. Y nt throw it away

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by victorv12(m): 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2014
Americans are too smart! They know Nigeria is a terrorist state...For them to prepare themselves for the future generation of upcoming terrorists from our country, they use this opportunity to collecting our data.
And the funny thing about it, our mumu government paid them for it.

Nigeria leaders are useless!

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 29, 2014
bongolistik: and who told u dat? So which one did u demanded 4? I gues none. Get it in2 ur head dat d card is multi purpose nd dat is y matacard came in. Tel us nw, is dier any nigerian card technology dat can handle it d way mastercard already does. I gues if i check ur walet nw., i wil see matercard. Y nt throw it away
National ID Card should be just that and nothing else. Do you understand that now?
So you'd expect me to submit my ID Card to any Government Authority for any purpose if my financial details are linked to it? Do you know you may be mandated to make photocopies of your ID card sometimes? Please, I need a photocopy of your ATM Card for demonstration if you don't know the difference between ID cards and ATM cards

5 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by obiscolly(m): 11:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
enigmaotr:
Goat! Read my earlier posts. I clearly stated that integrating a payment function in the I.d card wasn't necessary. The bone of contention here is whether MasterCard is handling our biometrics storage..and the answer to that is a big NO!

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by moshoodn(m): 11:13pm On Aug 29, 2014
This is outrightly wrong!
Its a fiasco!

You don't brand the identity of a nation with a company somewhere beyond the Pacific..

I think the card should rather be called a Nigerian transaction card instead of an Identity card.

Our identity is our flag and our coat of arms.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by arresa: 11:13pm On Aug 29, 2014
all4naija: Nigerians are probably scared because they know they are mostly scams. If you don't have anything involving scam in nature you don't have to be afraid of the security plan. I think it is a good idea the mastercard take care of such electronic project for their good experience.

Giving out ID cards with data and bio-metrics is not rocket science and it's not foreign to us in Nigeria.

1. Our National Passport is Bio-metrics based with stored personal data and we didn't need MasterCard to do that for us.

2. Lagos state's ID and registration program is also Bio-metrics based and they didn't outsource the process to any foreign entity or sell off Lagosians and their data to commercial banks. It's fully funded by the people of Lagos and it's free..

3. Lagos state is in total control of the database, no any bank or any other entity.

4. MasterCard is a US company functioning under US laws and regulations so in case of any dispute or fallout with Nigeria, we are in line for targeted sanctions including economic sanctions meaning your Identity cards or the attached payment system are rendered worthless. They did this t the Russians a few months ago and Visa and MasterCard had no choice but to obey the laws and commands of the US.

Now, Russia is scrambling to set up their own payment system..

5. This ID scheme was cooked up in a Quid pro quo fashion meaning give me this and I'll give you that. Give me 170 million ew customers and I'll give you bio-metrics ID database...

We basically surrendered not only our sovereignty and basic government function, but the government also made tens of millions of Nigerians MasterCard customers without their consents.

6. MasterCard spends tons of money every year to attract thousands of new customers, but they not only scored tens of millions of new customers, they have free access to their data and info about every Nigerian and because this is a commercial entity, they are definitely going to mine the data for maximum profit here and elsewhere.

Ordinary Lagos state is doing the same thing in Lagos with ease, with no PPP and they are in total control of the database, so why must the federal government with all the Oil wealth batter off so much and something so big and Nationalistic to foreign banks for common bio-metrics ID card?

10 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Memyselfu2009(m): 11:14pm On Aug 29, 2014
Malakh: dem go get am,its a matter of time
them go get what have u ever visited rural rural community before.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
obiscolly:
Goat! Read my earlier posts. I clearly stated that integrating a payment function in the I.d card wasn't necessary. The bone of contention here is whether MasterCard is handling our biometrics storage..and the answer to that is a big NO!
You're the goat here if you don't know Mastercard should have no business whatsoever on matters concerning our National Identity. Whether they have access to our data or not.

4 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by daveP(m): 11:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
(somewhere in a block section in CIA base in Washington)

Chief Officer on International relations: I propose all toast to achieving the collation of data of 170million niqqurs. Now that was easy folks. (raises a glass of expensive wine) a toast to f00ls.... To f00ls

(all personnel in the block raise their glasses of wine and chorus together)

All: to f00ls!!! ( clashing of glasses and smiles, amidst laughter)

grin grin

( the above is entirely fictional and should not be taken so serious)

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
undeniableGrace: Sentiments should be put out of this. All around the world, key business modules work best on Public private partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the operators for thinking really smart.
Clearly, you've never left your village.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
ZKOSOSO:
I see nothing wrong in this arrangement! Mastercard is global brand in the payment system industry.
OP is likely a pro-Islam with premordial hate for USA/Israel and their corporations who are hypocrically quick to collect AIDs and military assistance from the same nations. Yeye!!
ROFLMAO You've just willing volunteered yourself for slavery and you don't even know it.

Why are you Africans so slow, mentally?

5 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:23pm On Aug 29, 2014
ryom: I marvel at these comments. Its either a display of utter naivety or stupendous ignorance. Where do people think the data base of their electronic records are held anyway? Do you have a mobile phone (especially a smartphone), an email address, an ATM card and the like? Do you hold an international passport? Travelled abroad, especially to any of the so called first world country? Drive a car manufactured 2010 and beyond? Then they already have the records. This card favours you by consolidating your information in one place at your point of access; but them? They already have the information if you have done any of the bit I mentioned earlier! Looks like a lot of folks are in deep slumber!! Its too late to want to be anonymous. Like a boss of mine once said, ''its not about being raped (figuratively), its about making the experience as pleasant as possible.''
As an American, I bet you anything that aside from the fact that a background check had to be done when I had my job with the Govt, no other entity on earth has my biometric info, yet you clownish Africans are willingly giving it up for free and for no reason.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
undeniableGrace:

They should understand that good ideas have never worked because Government money is involved and this encourages corruption which kills the deal even before it commences. Bringing in investors to partner on projects removes or minimises corruption and this makes the project to thrive. Nigeria has no system of her own to perfect the act of data storage
Private business should not be in charge of Govt business. Theres no reason why a private financial institution from a potentially economically hostile country should be handed the biometric info of all adult citizens of your country. To think otherwise is to acknowledge idiocy.

The rest of what you wrote is rubbish so I won't reply to it.

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
SirShymex:

Before I proceed: just so you know, I don't have a problem with a central database of Nigerians kept solely by the Nigerian government, for national security. However, what I've got a problem with, is the fact that a foreign company is involved and, the whole process involves biometrics sharing, tied to biometric electronic payment, and also the inclusion of a company's logo on what should be solely a Nigerian thing. Once you start doing that, you have effectively nuked the national security by leaving the people at the mercy of external threats.

Anyway, I'll deal with what you posited in each paragraph by numbering my reply.

1). Are you in the IT field? If you're, then you should know keeping biometrics on a chip is one of the easiest ways to have your identity stolen by just about anyone. There are very cheap equipments out there that can easily copy everything on a chip, and clone it as well. Heck, even RFIDs are pretty much easy to hack into these days with portable equipments. So, the identity theft claim is just a lousy one, to be honest.

2). Why can't Mastercard start with Americans? At least, it's an American country - and once it works there and the yanks willingly accept intrusion into their lives by a private company, Nigeria can take the bait then. Heck, is there any bank card in America where biometric is used for electronic transaction?

3). How would they be able to do that when once they sign up for the ID cards, they automatically become a client of mastercard? Heck, the company's logo will also be on the card.
I can see your point concerning the logo but, that doesn't nullify the fact that it is the most safest forms of security available today. You don't have to play down on that important part of biometric identitification. I don't think it is going to be mandatory for people to have their financial records link to the their credit cards. For your information, Master card is a private company like Microsoft, Apple,etc we all utilized for daily routines in many government sectors around the globe. There is no need of trying to tie it to the American government when it is not. You are looking at it from another perspective, which I have no problem with though.

1) Sure, I am. There is hardly any modern person that doesn't have one or more idea about information technology in this contemporary time. You make it look as if it is very easy to breach biometric identity card. In fact, it is safer more than many other forms of security identifications you might want to propose.

2) You don't say something like that to support your point because Master card is a private company. Not for the reason it is not responsible for USA identity card doesn't mean it is not qualify to take up the deal in the another country - when it is proficient in coming with a better security system. It is not fair of you to use that to support your opinion here. You can't say because Linux is not used in the government sector in Finland the German Munich municipality cannot use it yet it is proposed for that German municipality. That is what private company is all about. It is not about government of country of origin but doing business for recognition(as in brand), profit and provide satisfaction for the people or customers.

3) Is it mandatory that your financial records are tied to master card? Looking at it from a reasonable point of view, you don't expect every Nigerian who is going to carry the national IDs to have their finance link to it. If it is, then there is no need to be scared.In the case you lost the card it is just going to be as you lost your credit card and that would be the responsibility of the master card company to sort out with your insurance company. As for the logo the government should allow the public to speak their minds on whether to have it on the ID card or not. I think that doesn't really deface the ID card in any way. Just that there is so much nationalistic believe by too many people here. Let's hope they will remove the logo to be on the fair side of the discussion.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Revolva(m): 11:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
wow cant wait to get my own cos i applied ...for it at nims ikeja..wow mastercard ok na here we go

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:31pm On Aug 29, 2014
bongolistik: and u dat is talking i gues if i check ur walet nw, i wil see mastercard in dier. So dint u sell ur own self 2 mastercard? Why is it nw paining u dat goverment did same tin dat u wr already doing?
Did Mastercard collect fingerprints or retina scan before issuing him a card? Illiterate village idi*ots like yourself and your President will be the death of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 29, 2014
arresa:

Giving out ID cards with data and bio-metrics is not rocket science and it's not foreign to us in Nigeria.

1. Our National Passport is Bio-metrics based with stored personal data and we didn't need MasterCard to do that for us.

2. Lagos state's ID and registration program is also Bio-metrics based and they didn't outsource the process to any foreign entity or sell off Lagosians and their data to commercial banks. It's fully funded by the people of Lagos and it's free..

3. Lagos state is in total control of the database, no any bank or any other entity.

4. MasterCard is a US company functioning under US laws and regulations so in case of any dispute or fallout with Nigeria, we are in line for targeted sanctions including economic sanctions meaning your Identity cards or the attached payment system are rendered worthless. They did this t the Russians a few months ago and Visa and MasterCard had no choice but to obey the laws and commands of the US.

Now, Russia is scrambling to set up their own payment system..

5. This ID scheme was cooked up in a Quid pro quo fashion meaning give me this and I'll give you that. Give me 170 million ew customers and I'll give you bio-metrics ID database...

We basically surrendered not only our sovereignty and basic government function, but the government also made tens of millions of Nigerians MasterCard customers without their consents.

6. MasterCard spends tons of money every year to attract thousands of new customers, but they not only scored tens of millions of new customers, they have free access to their data and info about every Nigerian and because this is a commercial entity, they are definitely going to mine the data for maximum profit here and elsewhere.

Ordinary Lagos state is doing the same thing in Lagos with ease, with no PPP and they are in total control of the database, so why must the federal government with all the Oil wealth batter off so much and something so big and Nationalistic to foreign banks for common bio-metrics ID card?

Thank you for your post. Which company handled those biometric identifications? Are those in line with identity theft regarding transaction with a foreign company(credit card)?I read Nigerian money is printed in foreign country so expect those things you talked about to be handled in one form or the other by private company.

Thank you once again.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:38pm On Aug 29, 2014
all4naija:

2) Not for the reason it is not responsible for USA identity card doesn't mean it is not qualify to take up the deal in the another country - when it is proficient in coming with a better security system.
[/i]
Sorry, there's NOTHING like a USA identity card. We're not that fo*olish. We love our freedom, thank you very much.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: Sorry, there's NOTHING like a USA identity card. We're not that fo*olish. We love our freedom, thank you very much.
I never said it is called national ID card. We are just assuming! That is I am responding to his statement accordingly. It is the social security card and it is the same thing as most national identity cards.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by kenability1: 11:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
That means say Verve, Visa and Mastercard way banks de issue out we no go use am again na america do dem even Facebook, Tiwter,Yahoo,google etc because our data de inside, 2me d mastercard with D national ID card kolabo Is A GOOD DEVELOPMENT
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:44pm On Aug 29, 2014
ryom: Where do people think the data base of their electronic records are held anyway? Do you have a mobile phone (especially a smartphone), an email address, an ATM card and the like? Do you hold an international passport? Travelled abroad, especially to any of the so called first world country? Drive a car manufactured 2010 and beyond? Then they already have the records. Like a boss of mine once said,
So, your Yahoo email, bank, Samsung phone, Car ect all have your biometric info. The problem with Nigeria is too many dummies thinking because they can write and read means they know what the hell they're talking about. Nobody is talking about "electronic" information, After all, we're in the digital age. What we cautioning you on is the idiotic idea of putting your biometric info in the hands of a foreign entity.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by arresa: 11:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
all4naija:

2) You don't say something like that to support your point because Master card is a private company. Not for the reason it is not responsible for USA identity card doesn't mean it is not qualify to take up the deal in the another country - when it is proficient in coming with a better security system. It is not fair of you to use that to support your opinion here. You can't say because Linux is not used in the government sector in Finland the German Munich municipality cannot use it yet it is proposed for that German municipality. That is what private company is all about. It is not about government of country of origin but doing business for recognition(as in brand), profit and provide satisfaction for the people or customers

The US Government can not prevent MasterCard from selling their products to dummies outside the US, but the US government still by their regulatory laws regulates MasterCard activities not only within the US, but also in Finland, German and Nigeria.

The US through economic sanctions can mandate MasterCard to stop their activities in Nigeria and MasterCard must obey just like they did in Russia.

3) Is it mandatory that your financial records are tied to master card? Looking at it from a reasonable point of view, you don't expect every Nigerian who is going to carry the national IDs to have their finance link to it. If it is, then there is no need to be scared.In the case you lost the card it is just going to be as you lost your credit card and that would be the responsibility of the master card company to sort out with your insurance company. As for the logo the government should allow the public to speak their minds on whether to have it on the ID card or not. I think that really deface the ID card in any way. Just that there is so much nationalistic believe by too many people here. Let's hope they will remove the logo to be on the fair side of the discussion.

Normally, people people sign up to obtain MasterCards and you give them your consents when you sign the application form, but in this case, the FG automatically sing you up without your consents and it doesn't matter if you like MasterCard or not..

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 11:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
all4naija: I never said it is called national ID card. We are just assuming! That is I am responding to his statement accordingly. It is the social security card and it is the same thing as most national identity cards.
I never said you did, I quoted you exactly with your words. And, you might be "assuming", I am not. A social security card does not require a fingerprint or any biometric info if you were born here, see?

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: So, your Yahoo email, bank, Samsung phone, Car ect all have your biometric info. The problem with Nigeria is too many dummies thinking because they can write and read means they know what the hell they're talking about. Nobody is talking about "electronic" information, After all, we're in the digital age. What we cautioning you on is the idiotic idea of putting your biometric info in the hands of a foreign entity.
How are you so called biometric passport identified in foreign countries? Your information are stored on the e-passport and can be retrieved at the ports of entry. It is not so much different. Please, you are becoming overly exaggerating the whole thing.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
all4naija:
I can see your point concerning the logo but, that doesn't nullify the fact that it is the most safest forms of security available today. You don't have to play down on that important part of biometric identitification. I don't think it is going to be mandatory for people to have their financial records link to the their credit cards. For your information, Master card is a private company like Microsoft, Apple,etc we all utilized for daily routines in many government sectors around the globe. There is no need of trying to tie it to the American government when it is not. You are looking at it from another perspective, which I have no problem with though.

1) Sure, I am. There is hardly any modern person that doesn't have one or more idea about information technology in this contemporary time. You make it look as if it is very easy to breach biometric identity card. In fact, it is safer more than many other forms of security identifications you might want to propose.

2) You don't say something like that to support your point because Master card is a private company. Not for the reason it is not responsible for USA identity card doesn't mean it is not qualify to take up the deal in the another country - when it is proficient in coming with a better security system. It is not fair of you to use that to support your opinion here. You can't say because Linux is not used in the government sector in Finland the German Munich municipality cannot use it yet it is proposed for that German municipality. That is what private company is all about. It is not about government of country of origin but doing business for recognition(as in brand), profit and provide satisfaction for the people or customers.

3) Is it mandatory that your financial records are tied to master card? Looking at it from a reasonable point of view, you don't expect every Nigerian who is going to carry the national IDs to have their finance link to it. If it is, then there is no need to be scared.In the case you lost the card it is just going to be as you lost your credit card and that would be the responsibility of the master card company to sort out with your insurance company. As for the logo the government should allow the public to speak their minds on whether to have it on the ID card or not. I think that really deface the ID card in any way. Just that there is so much nationalistic believe by too many people here. Let's hope they will remove the logo to be on the fair side of the discussion.

What's the correlation between a private logo on an item that should solely be the property of Nigeria and Nigerians, and identity theft security? - I'm lost, expatiate further on that. Also, Microsoft, Apple, Mastercard, Visa and all the other American multi-nationals are just "private" on the outside - they're all connected to the US government since most of them are often used by the yanks in waging economic wars against other countries. You don't sell your people out to companies like that for porridge, and there should be limit to whatever information about national security that you give out as a sovereign country.

Also, this is the whole concept of the scheme again from Mastercard's website: “MasterCard has pioneered large scale card schemes that combine biometric functionality with electronic payments and we want to capitalize on their experience in this field to make our program rollout a sustainable success for the country and for the continent.”
http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-to-power-nigerian-identity-card-program/

^^^You should be able to discern what's in bold since it's self-explanatory.
1). My grouse isn't with biometric identity card technology per se. It's with biometric data sharing with a foreign company and the audacity of whoever sanctioned the idi.otic idea to do so without Nigerians having a say. Also why must the scheme involve biometric electronic payment - and also a private company's logo on what should be an item of national pride? Must every darn thing be privatised in that cesspit?

2). I asked you because I know Americans won't allow that based on the Bill of Rights. That's just common sense which isn't common to most Africans.

3). Read this link: http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-to-power-nigerian-identity-card-program/ After reading it, go on google and search for: "biometric electronic payment." And educate yourself about what the whole scheme is about. Also, isn't it shocking that Nigeria, a country stuck in the medieval ages, is just about the only country with a scheme like this?

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 11:54pm On Aug 29, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: I never said you did, I quoted you exactly with your words. And, you might be "assuming", I am not. A social security card does not require a fingerprint or any biometric info if you were born here, see?
Lol... There is even a plan to make it biometric as regard the immigration reforms. I see nothing, bro. All I can see is that it remains the card for identification.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 12:01am On Aug 30, 2014
all4naija:
How are you so called biometric passport identified in foreign countries? Your information are stored on the e-passport and can be retrieved at the ports of entry. It is not so much different. Please, you are becoming overly exaggerating the whole thing.
Can you just stop talking about what you obviously know absolutely NOTHING about?! I just renewed my passport a few weeks ago and all I had to do was mail in my old passport, passport photographs, and my birth certificate. No fingerprints or biometric info required.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ISpiksDaTroof: 12:03am On Aug 30, 2014
all4naija:
Lol... There is even a plan to make it biometric as regard the immigration reforms. I see nothing, bro. All I can see is that it remains the card for identification.
Maybe in your country, not in mine. A billion September 11's can happen everyday for the next 50yrs and we will not surrender our fingerprints or biometrics to the Govt for identification. Nor would we even accept that the entire country will be under one "National I.D card".

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by obiscolly(m): 12:05am On Aug 30, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: I never said you did, I quoted you exactly with your words. And, you might be "assuming", I am not. A social security card does not require a fingerprint or any biometric info if you were born here, see?
Oyibo-miss-road. Why are you so interested in the affairs of Nigeria if you truly American. Nairaland is a Nigerian forum, so we'll appreciate you get your filthy a$$ out of here and stop spewing trash. No one gives a damn if your surname is Obama.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 30, 2014
SirShymex:

What's the correlation between a private logo on an item that should solely be the property of Nigeria and Nigerians, and identity theft security? - I'm lost, expatiate further on that. Also, Microsoft, Apple, Mastercard, Visa and all the other American multi-nationals are just "private" on the outside - they're all connected to the US government since most of them are often used by the yanks in waging economic wars against other countries. You don't sell your people out to companies like that for porridge, and there should be limit to whatever information about national security that you give out as a sovereign country.

Also, this is the whole concept of the scheme again from Mastercard's website: “MasterCard has pioneered large scale card schemes that combine biometric functionality with electronic payments and we want to capitalize on their experience in this field to make our program rollout a sustainable success for the country and for the continent.”
http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-to-power-nigerian-identity-card-program/

^^^You should be able to discern what's in bold since it's self-explanatory.
1). My grouse isn't with biometric identity card technology per se. It's with biometric data sharing with a foreign company and the audacity of whoever sanctioned the idi.otic idea to do so without Nigerians having a say. Also why must the scheme involve biometric electronic payment - and also a private company's logo on what should be an item of national pride? Must every darn thing be privatised in that cesspit?

2). I asked you because I know Americans won't allow that based on the Bill of Rights. That's just common sense which isn't common to most Africans.

3). Read this link: http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-to-power-nigerian-identity-card-program/ After reading it, go on google and search for: "biometric electronic payment." And educate yourself about what the whole scheme is about. Also, isn't it shocking that Nigeria, a country stuck in the medieval ages, is just about the only country with a scheme like this?
You have said all these things before. It is like we are repeating ourselves. It is a private company and there are terms and agreement to that. It is not easy to released secret information by copmanies to foreigne government as you are trying to make it looks like. Unless they are willing to give it out on excuses that their security system has been breached.

I don't so much see anything wrong in it having master card on board with Nigerian ID card. If Nigerians feel it's a wrong notion to have this done then they are possibly going the wrong way to modernize. There is even a plan to have the social security card in the USA biometric.

E-payment is evolving rapidly in Asia yet Nigerians are complaining here. It ease the process of transaction. The identification part of the card is not going to be handled by master card but by the Nigerian government. Why don't you look at it from that perspective?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Hoodlums Attack Atiku’s Wife In Ibadan / Ali Datti-Yako Plans Defection To APC / Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.