Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,036 members, 7,841,942 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP (11191 Views)

I Did Not Award Any $2 Billion Contract For Procurement Of Weapons - Jonathan / Lagos Plans IPP For State Tertiary Institutions / Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Onuvicalliswell(m): 8:40am On Sep 05, 2014
unapologetic: ABAKALIKI — EBONYI State government, yesterday, signed $1.14 billion contract with foreign partners for the construction of the state’s Independent Power Plant, IPP.

The project, with the capacity of 2,700 megawatts, is expected to be completed within two years. At the ceremony which took place at the State Executive Council meeting at Government House, Abakaliki, the Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Nebo, said the project would boost industrial revolution of the state and the South East and enhance the development of other sectors of the economy.

The proposed power plant, which is jointly owned by Hodges and Bakers Field and Ebonyi State government at 80, 20 per cent share, would be constructed by a Korean firm.
The plant is to be located at West Bank of Cross River in Oferekpe/Akahuwhu Inyimegu in Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.
The Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Nebo, described the plant as the single largest power plant in the country.

Professor Nebo promised that the Federal Government would give the state necessary assistance to ensure that the project was actualised and commended Ebonyi State government for its visionary leadership.

Governor Martin Elechi said the project would increase the income stream of the state by N40 billion every year to accelerate the development of the state.
He commended the Minister of Power and development partners for their cooperation to ensure the realisation of the project.
Chief Executive Officer, Ebonyi Independent Plant, Mr. Terry Moreland, and the representative of the firm constructing the project, Mr. KES Sion, assured of their commitment to ensure the completion of the plant.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/ebonyi-signs-1-14bn-contract-construction-ipp/#sthash.C68kyhS5.dpuf
Onuvicalliswell: Its a nice one bt dis elechi is actually taking all d govment project to ikwo, like d federal uni, rice processin mill, n nw dis mega power station all in ikwo. while dre ar oda 12 local gov. Dat av nt even dream of any govmt asistant if nt emergency program like out break of guinea worm, cholera,floodings or wind disaster dat d govmnt can boost of. May God help ebonyi state
unapologetic: ABAKALIKI — EBONYI State government, yesterday, signed $1.14 billion contract with foreign partners for the construction of the state’s Independent Power Plant, IPP.

The project, with the capacity of 2,700 megawatts, is expected to be completed within two years. At the ceremony which took place at the State Executive Council meeting at Government House, Abakaliki, the Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Nebo, said the project would boost industrial revolution of the state and the South East and enhance the development of other sectors of the economy.

The proposed power plant, which is jointly owned by Hodges and Bakers Field and Ebonyi State government at 80, 20 per cent share, would be constructed by a Korean firm.
The plant is to be located at West Bank of Cross River in Oferekpe/Akahuwhu Inyimegu in Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.
The Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Nebo, described the plant as the single largest power plant in the country.

Professor Nebo promised that the Federal Government would give the state necessary assistance to ensure that the project was actualised and commended Ebonyi State government for its visionary leadership.

Governor Martin Elechi said the project would increase the income stream of the state by N40 billion every year to accelerate the development of the state.
He commended the Minister of Power and development partners for their cooperation to ensure the realisation of the project.
Chief Executive Officer, Ebonyi Independent Plant, Mr. Terry Moreland, and the representative of the firm constructing the project, Mr. KES Sion, assured of their commitment to ensure the completion of the plant.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/ebonyi-signs-1-14bn-contract-construction-ipp/#sthash.C68kyhS5.dpuf
lets see hw it goes
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Okijajuju1(m): 8:51am On Sep 05, 2014
[size=20pt]There is no evidence of the existence of a Hodges and Bakers Field Electric or anything else Company online anywhere in the world.. [/size]

So... Basically, Nigerians are clapping there hands as the Politicians just signed away our money to nobody. grin

Who is Hodges and Bakers Field?!

Where did they come from?!

What is their website?

Whats there experience history?

How did the Ebonyi State government enter into this deal?!

What are the terms and conditions of this deal?!

I suspect a big fraud here!

4 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by tejpot(m): 8:51am On Sep 05, 2014
I have to comment. This is impossibly true or it has high chance of been a scam. There is no such company that can handle such amount of contract, in fact power contract with no functioning website. What's there track record? Zero! This is truly a scam. Don't be surprised if u wake up tomorrow and find Hodges and Bakers Field on the web.
Ebonyi state abi? No wonder.

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by millionboi(m): 8:55am On Sep 05, 2014
Must evri tin be Ikwo local Govt....ur own 2much
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Originalsly: 9:07am On Sep 05, 2014
Hmmm.....Hodges and Bakers Field....Korean......Kes Sion...their representative.....none of these names is Korean....but I know some people can explain. Joint venture....private company owning 80%....state 20%....is the company sowing 80% of the cost or would they be only reaping 80% at the completion of the project? How sucha massive project and no mention of location...what type of plant and all the basic information?...but then again this is not necessary since wayyy too many people sooo gullible.....they swallow anything that looks good without chewing....they love to leap first and look later. This project is all hot air.

2 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by fairheven: 9:12am On Sep 05, 2014
olushowunm: . This is "Dead-on-Arrival" project. Well, its not possible to construct 2700mw with $1.14billion! Its the biggest scam I ever heard of! 1Mw costs average of $1million and for Nigeria system, it should cost about $1.2m/Mw. So do the Arithmetic and you will know this is a scam!

To an extent,it depends largely on the source and method of generation,(like hydro,gasbased,coal-fired,nuclear an so forth) based on the same Nigeria system,wt u usually here is inflated cost of project
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by gemiclem(m): 9:13am On Sep 05, 2014
akwa ibom setting the pace for others since 100bc

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:16am On Sep 05, 2014
The investors into this project in the long run will experience profit maximization. Good initiative by the Ebonyi Gov and investment by the investors. These are the kind of projects in the east i wouldn't mind investing. kiss

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by ceejayluv(m): 9:16am On Sep 05, 2014
$1.14 billion for 2.7GW?? That's highly ambitious, if not unrealistic.

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by fairheven: 9:21am On Sep 05, 2014
msmon: Good development, this has been done in Ogun state years back.
Realy?wonderful,so were is the power?u mean ogun state has done 2000MW,an u still use candles and lantern?

2 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 05, 2014
adconline: How can a govt have a JV of $1.14bn with a fictitious company-hodges and bakersfield? What's their track record? This company doesn't even have a website.. Just Facebook. What's the name of Korean company to construct this project? Naija govt deceiving folks since 2000BC!
Thats the problem we have. They just have their surrogates to register a western sounding foreign name as company and finance projects 100% with state money only to convert 80% purpotedly for surrogate company that is owned by them. I wouldnt care much if and if this IPP can actually come online at stipulated time so the citizens can empower themselves. Humans needs are happiness and a few millions for a life time, but our greed has made us steal much more than we need. Most of Nigerian politicians are not humans, they are less than humanoid species and I pity them.

3 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by ducii: 9:40am On Sep 05, 2014
GoodNews Nigeria progressing we are getting there even though at a slow pace but getting there.

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by samseen02(m): 9:41am On Sep 05, 2014
raumdeuter: 6 months to leaving office, the sleeping governor signs a $1bn contract with a company that cant even boast of a website.

Every rundown blogger has a website

Ordinary website that can be done for $100.

Naija politicians no dey try at all, if dem wan chop our money dem no even dey pretend, To spend $200 do website out of the $1bn dey hard dem. So the maximum we can get from a company that won a $1bn contract is a facebook page.

Animal in human skin, Animal dey wear agbada, Animal dey put on suit o

Gbam! Lobatan...

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Okijajuju1(m): 9:52am On Sep 05, 2014
ceejayluv: $1.14 billion for 2.7GW?? That's highly ambitious, if not unrealistic.

I was going to say that as well!

Immediately I saw 1.1 Billion Dollars to build a 2700 Megawatt IPP, my Juju senses started tingling.. But then I saw Koreans and chillaxed a bit as those people are capable of changing Water to Wine.. But when I went online and googled the name of the company and didnt find it.. My juju senses started tingling even worse..

How does a Korean firm have an American name?!

1.1 billion cant build a 2.7GW plant atleast not buy what we have seen with other IPP's in Rivers state and Akwa Ibom.

How do they intend to generate the power?! Is it Gas?! Is it a solar farm?! or is it a hydro powered turbine?! or a Nuclear reactor?!

This deal smells of fraud.. Ndi Ebonyi should exercise their Freedom of Information rights and demand to see the details of this deal as I think someboddy is about to fhuck them again for free.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by IGBOSON1: 10:07am On Sep 05, 2014
Daniel058: Gov..MARTIN Elechi~~OCHUDO!!,well done sir!. very soon ABAKALIKI will join the list of most popular cities in Ebonyi state...#NWA~ABAKALIKI~4~LIFE

^^^That's the spirit! grin

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Okijajuju1(m): 10:12am On Sep 05, 2014
adconline:
JVs can be formed, but by partners who have proven track record. JV equity from Ebonyi is about N40bn- 40% of their annual budget. It runs a budget of less than N100bn. Where is the money coming from? Who is backing the fictitious company? How come no Naija Banks,ADB, IFC, World Bank, GE, ABB are mentioned? Who are their technical partners?

Tell me you work for a financing company or Projects.

Brilliant line of questioning.
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by category(m): 10:25am On Sep 05, 2014
573V31D: What is dis disrespect about ebonyi all about...u all wil be d envy of ebonyi come 2017
It should be the other way round. Am sure you meant to say Ebonyi will be the envy of all. Just a lil correction any way...
By the way
*International market not yet completed
*Water project not yet completed
*State secretariat not yet completed (not too far from completion though)
*cement processing plant (don't knw wats happening to it)
*Enugu/Ogoja express way badly executed by d Governor's indeginous firm and that of his 'stubborn' deputy.
He should not start what seems to me as would be abadoned.

3 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Icecooljay(m): 10:34am On Sep 05, 2014
sample042: ...Another means of looting my poor state.

Though a good foresight bt why shld it be towards d end of ur tenure?

Ebonyians kaa!

Good foresight my ass!...dat state is d most backward state in the east, with more than 70% of the populace living in darkness. This project reeks of hungry politicians trying to steal more money before leaving office. How come the contracted company has no website or the project is not being supported by any Nigerian bank. Itz high time Nigerians start a revolution against all this day light looting of public funds by old greedy men who won't just die....God help us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by IzyLuv(f): 10:44am On Sep 05, 2014
ebolablast: o boy!!! see money!!!

First Ebola Case In Abakalaki,Doctors And Nurses Flee From Hospital..come see race na..chai see doctors dey run with their lab coat lwkmd
READ HERE http:///Gxzp

Onuku, wia u the patient??...
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by 573V31D(m): 10:49am On Sep 05, 2014
category:
It should be the other way round. Am sure you meant to say Ebonyi will be the envy of all. Just a lil correction any way...
By the way
*International market not yet completed
*Water project not yet completed
*State secretariat not yet completed (not too far from completion though)
*cement processing plant (don't knw wats happening to it)
*Enugu/Ogoja express way badly executed by d Governor's indeginous firm and that of his 'stubborn' deputy.
He should not start what seems to me as would be abadoned.
thanks for d correction...but u must also agree with me dat most comments here derails Ebonyi and its people. Why dat? Even from fellow igboites *sad*

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Originalsly: 11:25am On Sep 05, 2014
573V31D: thanks for d correction...but u must also agree with me dat most comments here derails Ebonyi and its people. Why dat? Even from fellow igboites *sad*
Why dat?...even from fellow igboites?...a bell should go off in your head warning that something must be really wrong with the project and you should try to see what they are seeing instead of blaming them for not supporting it. Just that they not burying their heads in the sand.

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 05, 2014
eaglechild: This is supposedly a good development.

However, I am wary of governors that suddenly wake up and start signing billion naira projects when they have a few months to go.
Ikedi Ohakim (former Governor of Imo state) comes to mind
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by ayooluniran(m): 11:44am On Sep 05, 2014
Elechi is from ikwo LG, two big projects have gone to ikwo...first d federal univ. and now d power project.

Funny enuf, d road to d university is so Bad....cos it was poorly constructed.....and I guess by M&J constructions.....when will laws be made against public officers establishing companies to enrich themselves.
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by tandj: 12:36pm On Sep 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by karpentar: 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2014
drsteroid: Few months 2 the end of his tenure,he is signing contract 4 construction of IPP..hope he isn't trying 2 cover up some mess in his govt,cos ebonyi is a state where there is full blown poverty.This is a gud news but I doubt all this governors signing million dollars contract b4 the end of their tenure..keeping fingers crossed

Just because, elections are few months away doesn't mean development should cease. My concern is, where is the firing gas for the turbines coming from? The report didn't say that and I find that strange.
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by adconline(m): 1:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
Okijajuju1:

Tell me you work for a financing company or Projects.

Brilliant line of questioning.
Nope! I'm just your regular NLer. We have to keep asking these questions. Thanks!
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by arresa: 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
Okijajuju1: [size=20pt]There is no evidence of the existence of a Hodges and Bakers Field Electric or anything else Company online anywhere in the world.. [/size]

So... Basically, Nigerians are clapping there hands as the Politicians just signed away our money to nobody. grin

What is their website?

Obviously, the so called partners doesn't exist at the moment, they are so far front companies still in development. Give them a few weeks or months, they'll come up with something with some cheap website to go with it...

About the project.

1. Why is one of the poorest states in Nigeria constructing a $1.14 billion IPP @ 2.700 MW, but the FG couldn't do the same thing with almost $20 billion down the drain under the same?

2. Where is the money coming from?

3. What other projects have the so called foreign partners completed elsewhere?

4. What's the end game? Are they going to build and create their own DISCO to sell electricity to the general public?

5. Is this like Akpabio's IPP fraud scheme where the state gets reimbursed for the cost of the project and the reimbursed funds disappeared into private coffers?

Fact remains that in Nigeria regardless of the privatization charade they have going on, the FG is still in charge of the transmission infrastructure meaning whatever you spend your money on to generate, you still have to feed it into the archaic and obsolete transmission lines that can not even effectively transmit whatever meager power generated all over the country.

By feeding the generated electricity into the transmission grid which you have to since you don't have your own transmission lines and by law you can not, it means your local population can not directly benefit from the IPP in terms of uninterrupted power supply.

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by unapologetic: 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2014
Okijajuju1: [size=20pt]There is no evidence of the existence of a Hodges and Bakers Field Electric or anything else Company online anywhere in the world.. [/size]

What is their website?

Some of our leaders are meant to spend the rest of their lives in Kirikiri

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by unapologetic: 2:09pm On Sep 05, 2014
karpentar:

Just because, elections are few months away doesn't mean development should cease. My concern is, where is the firing gas for the turbines coming from? The report didn't say that and I find that strange.

Are you insinuating that Governor was sleeping before now? This peak period should be meant for putting finishing touches on projects and not starting what he should have done a very long time ago.
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by unapologetic: 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
Billyonaire: Thats the problem we have. They just have their surrogates to register a western sounding foreign name as company and finance projects 100% with state money only to convert 80% purpotedly for surrogate company that is owned by them. I wouldnt care much if and if this IPP can actually come online at stipulated time so the citizens can empower themselves. Humans needs are happiness and a few millions for a life time, but our greed has made us steal much more than we need. Most of Nigerian politicians are not humans, they are less than humanoid species and I pity them.

They should all be deployed to Iraq
Re: Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP by Smooyis(m): 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
[b][/b]I hope the state govt has done a thorough job in the award of this contract. It is a commendable move worthy of emulation by other states across the federation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"My Agenda Is Simple; My Vision Is Clear" — Ize Iyamu / Peace Returns To Osun PDP As Party Elects Adagunodo Chairman / BREAKING: EFCC Arraigns Senator Peter Nwaboshi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.