Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ (24898 Views)

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force / Excuse Me God, Are You Partial? Must Read.. / Christians: Does God's Word Allow Divorce or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by ENDTIMES: 12:06pm On Sep 18, 2014
They are not the first that did it, they'll also not be the first to regret it.

They should change their currencies asap because it bears "IN GOD WE TRUST"...
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
hungryboy: a bigger fool is that man who worships a god who hardly answers his prayers

A question for you.....did your parents give you everything that you asked for when you were a child?

The answer of course is that they did not...they gave you what they thought you needed....not what you wanted.

Of course, at the time you did not see it....but years later, I am sure you understood why.

Your concept of God is that of an unlimited Father Christmas who would satisfy all your needs without allowing any bad thing to happen to you . That isn't how the relationship works.....or else you would be giving your children all they ask for without considering whether they need it now.

3 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by cococandy(f): 12:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
What league?
The league of those who don't judge unbelievers as evil people?
I'm the president.
Bizibi: u want to join to league.....u re welcome

1 Like

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
hungryboy: a bigger fool is that man who worships a god who hardly answers his prayers

Fool, You are praying for it not to rain today because you want to have an outdoor event, I am on the other side praying for it to rain today because I have fun running and playing in the rain. If God answers your prayer, I will say He is a bad God. If He answers mine, you will say He is a bad God.

Bottom line: Allow God to rule over the affairs of men with His infinite wisdom which is beyond human comprehension including useless people like your worthless self.

Let thunder blast you to pieces where you are. Foolish waste of precious space like you!

2 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Skeelzz(m): 12:17pm On Sep 18, 2014
Imagine nigerians talking about God...if a white man that is living a far better life than you is eliminating God,I wonder why you are still blindly praising a non existing God with all the chaos sorrounding you...where is the God

8 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 18, 2014
EUROBOMBER:

Fool, You are praying for it not to rain today because you want to have an outdoor event, I am on the other side praying for it to rain today because I have fun running and playing in the rain. If God answers your prayer, I will say He is a bad God. If He answers mine, you will say He is a bad God.

Bottom line: Allow God to rule over the affairs of men with His infinite wisdom which is beyond human comprehension including useless people like your worthless self.

Let thunder blast you to pieces where you are. Foolish waste of precious space like you!

Bros, you won't make heaven with all these your insults. undecided

Allow the supreme God to judge by himself.

4 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
FrancisTony:

Bros, you won't make heaven with all these your insults. undecided

Allow the supreme God to judge by himself.

Get off my face and get lost for ever....
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by drstone1: 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
ENDTIMES: They are not the first that did it, they'll also not be the first to regret it.

So HeLP US God especially here in africa. What a civilisation and modernity that now feels it is superior to the Divine and supernatural God just because of enhanced logic,human rationalism and scientific investigation.
They now feel that the wisdom of science which we all know are happenstance "DISCOVERIeS" was as a result of white human genius. I dey laff for wia I dey! It is time for God to use the. Base things to confound the so called wise again. Black retrogressive Africa- I can sense that your time has come again to leave the back to the Front where you once. Belonged. ".....and they that be last shall become FIRST again"
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 18, 2014
ENDTIMES: They are not the first that did it, they'll also not be the first to regret it.

Actually IN GOD WE TRUST has not always been in use on US monies...

From WikiPedia...

"In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 as an alternative or replacement to the unofficial motto of E pluribus unum, which was adopted when the Great Seal of the United States was created and adopted in 1782.

"In God we trust" first appeared on U.S. coins in 1864[3] and has appeared on paper currency since 1957. Some secularists object to its use.

It is also the motto of the U.S. state of Florida. Its Spanish equivalent, En Dios Confiamos, is the motto of the Republic of Nicaragua.

And furthermore....

In 1956, the nation was at a particularly tense time in the Cold War, and the United States wanted to distinguish itself from the Soviet Union, which promoted state atheism. As a result, the 84th Congress passed a joint resolution "declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States." The law was signed by President Eisenhower on July 30, 1956, and the motto was progressively added to paper money over a period from 1957 to 1966. (Public Law 84-851)[18] The United States Code at 36 U.S.C. § 302, now states: "'In God we trust' is the national motto."

In 2006, on the 50th anniversary of its adoption, the Senate reaffirmed "In God we trust" as the official national motto of the United States of America. In 2011 the House of Representatives passed an additional resolution reaffirming "In God we trust" as the official motto of the United States, in a 396-9 vote. According to a 2003 joint poll by USA Today, CNN, and Gallup, 90% of Americans support the inscription "In God We Trust" on U.S. coins.

2 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
drstone1:

So HeLP US God especially here in africa. What a civilisation and modernity that now feels it is superior to the Divine and supernatural God just because of enhanced logic,human rationalism and scientific investigation.
They now feel that the wisdom of science which we all know are happenstance "DISCOVERIeS" was as a result of white human genius. I dey laff for wia I dey! It is time for God to use the. Base things to confound the so called wise again. Black retrogressive Africa- I can sense that your time has come again to leave the back to the Front where you once. Belonged. ".....and they that be last shall become FIRST again"

Honestly, it is so irritating. God is so patient and loving to allow human beings that He created and gave His breath of life to point thier useless fingers at Him and say all sorts of rubbish.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by hungryboy(m): 12:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
EUROBOMBER:

bros are you telling me that god is baba ijebu?, so prayer is now a lottery abi, God will rather answer a chelsea fans prayer that the should win swansea rather than protect his people at T b Joshua's synagogue from dying in that guest house collapse abi?

2 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 18, 2014
The same Whites that brought the message of God to Africa are the same ones now saying there is no God undecided If they like believe, if they like dont believe. shey when everybody don die and there is no second Chance that's when they'll start saying had I known. Science caused all this sha...
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by hungryboy(m): 12:36pm On Sep 18, 2014
bushdoc9919:

A question for you.....did your parents give you everything that you asked for when you were a child?

The answer of course is that they did not...they gave you what they thought you needed....not what you wanted.

Of course, at the time you did not see it....but years later, I am sure you understood why.

Your concept of God is that of an unlimited Father Christmas who would satisfy all your needs without allowing any bad thing to happen to you . That isn't how the relationship works.....or else you would be giving your children all they ask for without considering whether they need it now.

my parents are not and don't claim to be omnipotent, omniprescient and omniscient

3 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2014
hungryboy: bros are you telling me that god is baba ijebu?, so prayer is now a lottery abi, God will rather answer a chelsea fans prayer that the should win swansea rather than protect his people at T b Joshua's synagogue from dying in that guest house collapse abi?

Was it God that brought down the building? Why must all your anger be directed at God? A grown man will go out, seize a woman by force and rape her with his clear mind and people will be shouting “Where is God! Where is God!”

Young men will go out after carefully strategizing, carry guns, attack people, dispossess them of their valuables and kill people and some will be shouting “Where is God!”

We all should be responsible for our actions that is why God has given us common sense and a conscience. Check now and you may discover that sub-standard materials were used to construct that building or the foundation was not solid and deep enough to carry that number of floors. When will human beings stop being angry at God and start taking responsibility for their actions? When?

If you are hungry Mr hungryboy, go and get a job or find some small business to do instead of sitting there being angry at God. All your anger against God will not better your life in any way.

Now fvck off my face.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
hungryboy: my parents are not and don't claim to be omnipotent, omniprescient and omniscient

But when they did not give you all that you wanted...they did exercise some wisdom in not giving you all you needed.

Same thing with God. God is not the father christmas you think he is. We Christians say that prayer is communicating with God. We tell God what we want and God, in his wisdom decides how the prayer will be answered....and sometimes no is a good answer....because it leads to something better.

And a lot of the crisis in this world is man's responsibilty. You asked someone why God did not save the people trapped in the Synagogue building. In essence.,....you want God to hide the evil done (bad construction work)....by saving the people inside the building. God does not hide evil. And God has given us free will...to choose between good and evil. Of course he expects us to choose good...but too often we choose evil leading to disaster.

Now here is an answer to question 2....the supererogation problem.

Well, this actually runs up against a philosophical problem known as 'supererogation'. It’s a common scenario one considers: "given some situation X, couldn't God have improved it incrementally by at least 1% more? And if He could and didn't, doesn’t this say something negative about God?" The supererogation problem arises in such an arguement when it becomes obvious that that statement may be too vacuous/vague to stand as an argument. For example, if X humans are good (in the biblical system), can't God improve the universe incrementally by making just one more person (one more instance of goodness), giving an even better X+1 persons? And then, if X+1 persons are good, couldn't He make X+2, etc, etc, etc…you see the problem? Some goodness-sets are not bounded in themselves but only by other constraints (e.g., resources to sustain population, overcrowding psychological problems). But, one might ask, why can't God also make the Earth bigger, and make the resources more abundant? He could, and then the infinite regress would continue--increase the population by 10% more, inflate the earth by 10% more, increase the natural resources by 10%…and on and on and on and on…

[b]Philosophers know that such arguments are too questionable/slippery to work either positively (e.g., God, who already made a lot of people, could have made one more person but didn’t--therefore He is not really interested in maximum goodness), or negatively (e.g., God, who already prevents a lot of crime, could have prevented one more crime but didn't--therefore He is not really interested in minimizing evil). These arguments don’t work because they do not have a 'context' in which to bound the infinite regress.

Instead, discussions focus more on notions of 'constrained optimality' or 'best-of-all-possible-worlds". Such notions presume some given situation, with some given boundary principles. For a whimsical example, God could, upon each sale of a person into slavery, turn that person into a butterfly so they can fly off in freedom. Or, God could, upon each sale of a person into slavery, kill the purchaser with some horrible death (or turn them into a frog). But real-world discussions have to operate on the basis of the givens (e.g., poverty occurs, dependency is a familiar part of life--given the parenting process, some individuals have/retain more resources or skills than others), and then ask--"what is the best way to solve for all the simultaneous constraints?" One hopes that the solution is 'aimed high' (e.g., provision & protection for those who need it, escape and exit for those who need that, flexibility in the arrangements, emphasis on human worth in ALL "transactions" and resultant states, prescribed tenderness for clients and feedback mechanisms for the patrons, community benefits instead of corrosiveness because of the institution, etc), so that the inevitable failures of us humans will yield a 'net higher' result that we would have achieved shooting for something incrementally better.

So, its not that easy to say that what we have in the OT is NOT the 'perfect-enough' solution to the multiple-variable problem, because of the constraints of multiple value targets, and multiple levels of sensitivity of the human heart to others, and the different levels of selfishness and avarice in human society. If a solution set--again, given the situation of that history and the status of the participants--is (1) significantly better than all historical alternatives, and (2) still upholds ethical ideals which would clearly be present in any superior-enough-to-be-from-God system, and (2) cannot be significantly improved by systemic changes (theoretically)--and these proposed improvements could be 'tested' to see what side-effects might be co-generated [the cure being worse than the disease, or ecosystem 'tweaking' which throws the system into a worse state], then one would have to come up with a real data-advancing argument (and not just a supposition--"SURELY a perfect God could improve it?"wink to make this into a real argument.

[/b]
And, it is irrelevant to the objection/discussion here to argue that a perfect God would have made a different situation (as a way to preclude the problems addressed in the biblical servitude laws). To argue that God should not have allowed poverty, war, misfortune, locusts, predators, etc is an altogether different argument than our subject of slavery. As such, as much merit as that argument could have, and as much attention as it deserves (I have tons of pages on the Tank devoted to the various forms of that question), it is irrelevant to our question here: "given the situation/context, is OT slavery legislation below par for a good-hearted and omni-competent God?" Without (a) a clear description of what God should have done differently in this given context, (b) a strong defense that this proposed set of operations is 'worthy of a deity', and (c) some evidence/argument that these alternative approaches would have not have produced worse problems somewhere in the overall system, then the argument that "God could have done better" is speculation at best, and meaningless at worse (under the supererogation problem).
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Truckpusher(m): 12:46pm On Sep 18, 2014
Why is an American news making front page here?

I bet you guys that most Americans can't find Nigeria on a map.

Why is Nairaland always brnging this kind of junk news into a forum where we should be talking about our own problems.

Why is it that Nigerians always go gaga over anything about a people that do not give a rat asss about them?

Have you seen how they treat Nigerians like trash in their embassy and and even on arrival in their own airport yet we listen to every news they've got about themselves.

Is Nigeria one the states that makes up the US? undecided

MOD; attention abeg carry this shiit go throwaway for water side. angry

3 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by klarke(m): 12:50pm On Sep 18, 2014
Skeelzz: Imagine nigerians talking about God...if a white man that is living a far better life than you is eliminating God,I wonder why you are still blindly praising a non existing God with all the chaos sorrounding you...where is the God

You are mistaken. Did u say they are living far better life? physical possession or well being does not in any way mean that one is living a better life. We as humans are not just physical beings, we are spiritual being living in a physical body and have a soul or u can call it mind. You cannot conclude that one is living a better life by looking at the physical body alone. What goes on in (or the state of) the mind and the spirit of the man of is of great importance if you want to know the person's state of well being. That will explain why suicide rate is so high amongst them and you begin to wonder why a human being will decide to take his/her own life.
You want to know where God is? But u already know the answer. Take a good look at yourself, the complexity of your body... Have u asked yourself how your heart works, if it stops pumping for even a minute you be become a heap of flesh and bone. Look arnd u, the nature, up in d sky, deep inside ur heart, u'll see God. Stop deceiving urself. U know what, God still loves u very much, though u keep on rejecting Him. While u are still living & "while d sun still shines", accept His love.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by 5minsmadness: 1:07pm On Sep 18, 2014
Even if they start saying 'so help me devil' some Nigerians will still foolishly follow them.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 18, 2014
blackorpheus:

Ode leeyi sha..
The 'God' concept is too unimaginable for your 'something'-billion-cell brain to comprehend.
What men do not comprehend, they dispute.
Ode.
Man is mortal. He will die. And, turn to manure for cemetery grass.
All in the presence of the Mind that designed the universe.
God just dey laff una.

Awon ode.

I believe in God and a christian too.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by amojis(m): 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2014
Hmmm....smbdy will soon sue d US Government fr still usin the word 'God' in their country's motto and currencies to assert his right as a citizen who doesnt blv in such
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by ayorins(m): 1:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
hungryboy: How many who utter those words has god helped?,
i bet majority of american airmen who lost their lives in iraq and afghanistan uttered those words

Nonsense
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by funshyboi(m): 1:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
01emek: I was supposed to be the 9th to comment but only to sumit my comment and saw my self at number 21th and i asked '' where are we running to fellow Nigerians ? cry

All i could say for now is ''SO HELP ME GOD''. Amen.
sorry man,it does happens to me before, so next time u use a comma or hyphen to book a space and later on you come and post. That's it
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:32pm On Sep 18, 2014
Khalessi: America was built on a Godly foundation. Now all that is lost.

Yeah right!

They massacred the Indians on a 'godly' foundation abi?

Don't forget your fore-fathers that were made to pick cotton against their will.

America is just like any other empire.

5 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Same thing with God. God is not the father Christmas you think he is....

Yes, you're actually right. God is Father 'Every-Second'.

Santa ain't got a thing on Him.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by funshyboi(m): 1:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
klarke:

You are mistaken. Did u say they are living far better life? physical possession or well being does not in any way mean that one is living a better life. We as humans are not just physical beings, we are spiritual being living in a physical body and have a soul or u can call it mind. You cannot conclude that one is living a better life by looking at the physical body alone. What goes on in (or the state of) the mind and the spirit of the man of is of great importance if you want to know the person's state of well being. That will explain why suicide rate is so high amongst them and you begin to wonder why a human being will decide to take his/her own life.
You want to know where God is? But u already know the answer. Take a good look at yourself, the complexity of your body... Have u asked yourself how your heart works, if it stops pumping for even a minute you be become a heap of flesh and bone. Look arnd u, the nature, up in d sky, deep inside ur heart, u'll see God. Stop deceiving urself. U know what, God still loves u very much, though u keep on rejecting Him. While u are still living & "while d sun still shines", accept His love.
thumbs up
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by chidooh1: 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2014
American wahala
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by champman(m): 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2014
Apatheist: After an airman was unable to complete his reenlistment because he omitted the part of a required oath that states “so help me God,” the Air Force changed its instructions for the oath .

Following a review of the policy by the Department of Defense General Counsel, the Air Force will now permit airmen to omit the phrase, should they so choose. That change is effective immediately, according to an Air Force statement.

“We take any instance in which Airmen report concerns regarding religious freedom seriously,” Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said in the statement. “We are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure our Airmen’s rights are protected.

“The Air Force will be updating the instructions for both enlisted and commissioned Airmen to reflect these changes in the coming weeks, but the policy change is effective now. Airmen who choose to omit the words ‘So help me God’ from enlistment and officer appointment oaths may do so.”

The issue gained national attention in early September after a letter from the American Humanist Association outlined the case of an airman stationed at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada who was unable to complete his reenlistment after striking out the phrase in question on a form. The AHA said it was prepared to sue on religious freedom grounds unless the airman was allowed to reenlist without saying the phrase.
The requirement, the AHA argued, violated the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

The issue drew attention to a previously unnoticed rule change: The rules governing the Air Force’s enlistment oaths used to include a note stating that “Airmen may omit the words ‘so help me God,’ if desired for personal reasons.” That exception quietly disappeared in October 2013, after which the Air Force required the inclusion of the full oath for any enlistment or reenlistment.

Now, the airman’s paperwork “will be processed to completion,” the Air Force statement said.
“We are pleased that the U.S. Department of Defense has confirmed our client has a First Amendment right to omit the reference to a supreme being in his reenlistment oath,” Monica Miller, an attorney with the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center, said in an emailed statement.
www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/09/17/the-air-force-will-now-allow-airmen-to-omit-so-help-me-god-from-enlistment-oaths/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost
it's non of our concerns
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by AreaFada2: 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2014
Ok let them put Sango, Amadioha, Sopana, Eziza or any such one they like na. shocked
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by kellyJames5(m): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2014
This must a celebrating news for the Atheists and their likes
But all I have to say is;if America likes,let them even ban all the religious affiliated institutions and doctrinations....it does change any thing about God!!!!!
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by epospiky(m): 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2014
SO HELP US GOD

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Facts About Forgiveness / 7 Things You Can Never Change Until You Change Yourself / Who Is The Son Of God And The Son Of Man To The Grail Message.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.