Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central (14553 Views)

Peter Obi's Anambra-Central Senatorial Campaign Poster (picture) / Anambra Central: Appeal Court Ruling Has Vindicated Me – Sen Chris Ngige / Uche Ekwunife Affirmed The Winner Of Anambra Central Senatorial District (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by siraj1402(m): 7:51am On Sep 19, 2014
THE 2015 race for Anambra central Senatorial seat is getting keener. A horde of aspirants are now on the prowl angling to snatch the seat from the incumbent Senator Chris Ngige of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
By Clifford Ndujihe
AMong the leading contenders are: Senator Ngige; National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh; a member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Uche Ekwunife; Leader of Nzuko Imeobi Idemili North and South, Dr. Obiora Okonkwo; former Secretary to the Anambra State Government, SSG (1999-2003), Prince Victor Ossy Ezenwa; Dr. Kodilichukwu Okelekwe; Mrs. Christy Okoye, Senator Annie Okonkwo and Mr. Sylvester Okonkwo.
Ngige
Senator Ngige, who is going for a second term in the Senate made his mark as governor of Anambra State for three years before he was thrown out of office by the law courts for election rigging. He is considered popular in Anambra central, which benefited immensely from his botched administration in terms of projects.
Having lost the last governorship election, the APC legislator, who has not indicated whether or not he is re-contesting, has however, said that most of those angling to stop him are political lightweights.
Umeh
Sir Umeh, whose reign as APGA national chairman saw the party winning electoral laurels such as two governorship seats, senatorial, House of Representatives and state assembly slots, while declaring his intention to run for the seat, said the state of affairs in the country now requires the Igbo, Anambra and Anambra Central to put their First Eleven forward. According to him, his experience as APGA leader and a delegate to the just concluded National Conference shows that much work is yet to be done and he is the most qualified person to execute the onerous duty for Ndigbo, South-East, Anambra and Anambra central. He is running on the banner of APGA.
Ekwunife
Hon. Ekwunife is one of the two women in the race so far. The ranking Rep is aspiring on the banner of the PDP the platform that gave her, her first mandate in the House. She left the PDP for the Progressives Peoples’ Alliance (PPA), contested the governorship and lost. She defected to APGA and retained her Reps’ seat. Now, she is back to the PDP from APGA. She believes that her popularity in Anambra central and PDP’s political muscle will see her through.
Obiora Okonkwo
Dr. Okonkwo is the leader of Nzuko Imeobi Idemili North and South, the apex socio cultural and political organization of Idemili in Anambra Central Senatorial District, Political and Economic Adviser to the Archbishop of Onitsha & Metropolitan of Onitsha Ecclesiastical Province; President and Founder, Nigeria – Belgium Business Forum (NBBF) Coordinator of the Anambra State Good Governance Forum (ASGGOF).
While declaring his intention to run on the plank of the PDP, he said: “We want to restore pride in the people, rebuild their confidence and make them believe again that power resides in them and in representing the people in the Senate, it will be with the awareness that power is in the hands of the people in which we shall demonstrate the will to deliver on the community charter of the senatorial zone, propagate quality representation anchored on accessibility, consultation, responsiveness and accountability to my constituents.”
Okelekwe Dr. Okelekwe, who boosts of knowledge of multimillion-dollar budgets and keen business experience from running his own flourishing business as C.E.O, wants to banish poverty from the zone through education.
The former governorship aspirant, who is aspiring on the platform of the PDP said: “I don’t believe that any individual should be denied the right to education on account of poverty. That is what drives me. That’s why I am contesting. I am not contesting for a Senate seat to indulge in primitive accumulation of wealth. Life is not about self. Life is about touching others. It is about living for others. That is why I am aspiring to go to the Senate.”
He said he wants to “get the people involved in the process of lawmaking. If I get elected as a senator, I will institute what I call monthly town hall meetings, which will rotate from one local government to the other. “In Anambra central, there are seven local government areas. We will use this mechanism to sound out the people, get their opinion and take into account their input in either proposing a new law or proposing an amendment to existing ones or moving a motion to draw the attention of government to certain areas.”
Ezenwa
Ezenwa, who was SSG under former Governor Chinwoke Mbadinuju and former chairman of Njikoka local council said he is disturbed by the high rate of unemployment in the zone.
Making his intentions known during a consultations meeting with his constituents and journalists at his Abagana country home, Ezenwa, said he was aware of other heavyweights in the race but that the odds were in his favour.
Gale of endorsements
Ahead of the polls, the polity is awash with a gale of endorsements for the aspirants. Umeh got the endorsement of Anambra Central Women Forum (ACWF), which described him as a man of action, principle and integrity, tested and trusted to effectively represent Anambra Central Senatorial Zone in the Senate. ACWF President, Mrs. Adanma Chukwuma, said the group is backing Umeh because “we cannot sacrifice effective representation at the altar of partisan politics.”
In like manner, Idemili Action Movement, IAM and a socio-cultural association, Nzuko Imeobi, have thrown their weights behind Dr Obiora Okonkwo and urged voters and stakeholders in the Anambra Central senatorial zone not to repeat the mistakes of the past in electing their representatives in 2015.
Making the calls at different for a recently, IAM Chairman, Dr. Uche Ezeliora and Nzuko Imeobi President, Chief Edwin Ekwuno said: “We don’t support parties, we support candidates and it is in this regard that we are supporting the various calls for change and adopting Dr. Obiora Okonkwo of the PDP as our choice for the senatorial seat in the Central. His track record is people oriented and he has shown a sense of service to the people, which we believe will lift the state of development in the zone if he gets to the Senate.”
Also, writing about the aspirants, Professor Ben Nna Okoye said given the protracted problems facing Anambra Central, the zone needs a disciplined, focused, pragmatic, logical, creative, organized, problem-solver as its senator. According to him Dr. Okelekwe fits this description because he is a skilled and competent leader who is widely admired for his civility, diligence and political acuity.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/2015-knife-edge-battle-anambra-central/#sthash.WlepCUVY.dpuf

2 Likes

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Abbey2sam(m): 7:57am On Sep 19, 2014
He who the cap fit

may the luckiest man win
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Saheed9: 7:57am On Sep 19, 2014
I can bet it the guy above me did not read b4 commenting

5 Likes

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by natureblack(m): 7:57am On Sep 19, 2014
I give this to Ngige

1 Like

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by TreasuredGlory: 7:57am On Sep 19, 2014
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by rahztafari(m): 7:58am On Sep 19, 2014
front page... ... ...

1 Like

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by LEOSIRSIR(m): 7:58am On Sep 19, 2014
Too much am still reading while commenting
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by kultimate009: 7:58am On Sep 19, 2014
Hmmm
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by ibe9ja: 7:59am On Sep 19, 2014
Summary pls
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by kurajordan(m): 7:59am On Sep 19, 2014
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by ebufrae(m): 8:00am On Sep 19, 2014
:PWetin concern me tongue
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by 01mcfadden(m): 8:00am On Sep 19, 2014
Let the citizens decide
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by ebolablast: 8:00am On Sep 19, 2014
dat 1 concern em
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Dannyset(m): 8:01am On Sep 19, 2014
Anambra need a discipline, focus, pragmatic, Bishop, Pastor, Evangelist, Herbalist, bla bla....funny.
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by scofieldsimba(m): 8:01am On Sep 19, 2014
In politics,the best candidate don't usually win,rather the most popular
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by stevolinkon40: 8:01am On Sep 19, 2014
Reading
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 19, 2014
okay
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by asadike(f): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2014
Ar u a learner? Umeh wil win malam ngige hands down.

7 Likes

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by gift01: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2014
I came here to read comments but space bookers won't let sensible analysts comment on how it affects their constituency. Well, am also guilty of this same offence

1 Like

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by DikSin(m): 8:11am On Sep 19, 2014
I'ma tell you, like Wu told me
Cash rules everything around me
Dollar-Dollar Bill yo! (Dollar-Dollar Bill yo!)

Now I thank God I'm not a Nigeriancheesy DikSin Ft. ForkinBoyzgrin
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by lordinoh(m): 8:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Imagin seeing that long red igbo cap in the senate
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Whoever has the interest of the masses should win.

That's my prayer!
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by sirjohnson(m): 8:17am On Sep 19, 2014
Political instability oooo
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by gift01: 8:18am On Sep 19, 2014
looking4job: HELLO NAIRALANDERS,

PLEASE SAVE A BROTHER. SAVE A SOUL. I'M FRUSTRATED AND SINKING IN ABJECT POVERTY. I NEED A JOB URGENTLY AND I WILL SINCERELY APPRECIATE ANY FORM OF HELP RENDERED TO ME CONCERNING GETTING EMPLOYED. IF YOU'RE IN POSITION TO HELP WITH ANY USEFUL INFORMATION, KINDLY PM ME. GOD BLESS YOU ALL
You don't need a job. Those who need jobs have gone out to hustle and not looking for charity on Nairaland. There's no free food anywhere even in a place called Freetown

1 Like

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Bobbystanley(m): 8:21am On Sep 19, 2014
All are fighting for their pocket.

Imagine if there were to be no gain in politics.
Would they open their mouths and say they are fighting for the interest of their people?

Ndi ara!

2 Likes

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by condralbede(m): 8:22am On Sep 19, 2014
Saheed9: I can bet it the guy above me did not read b4 commenting
Summarise the thread for us plz....I didn't read it too.
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by ChinoElects: 8:22am On Sep 19, 2014
APGA all the way..

5 Likes

Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Lilimax(f): 8:24am On Sep 19, 2014
Every body wants to get there whether by hook or by crook embarassed.

BTW, I learn't it was Uche Ekwunife that tared all my village roads and converted
it to small London smiley
May God bless her.
Re: 2015: The Knife-edge Battle For Anambra Central by Tconphils(m): 8:29am On Sep 19, 2014
whatever

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Farooq Kperogi Raises Alarm Over Threat To Life / 17 Sacked, Suspended Nigerian Ministers Since 1999 / Jonathan Receives Farm Tools As Gift From Gbong Gwom Of Jos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.