Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,992 members, 7,825,069 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22208 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
Most students in Art class are generally not good in maths but they are forced to pass it after all..
I know of a Particular boy that had to rewrite waec 6 times just because of Maths despite having As and Bus in the other subjects..
This bring the question of whether mathematics is as important to arts students as it is to other class and that it should be scrapped from d core subjects that one must get at least C ,in our SSCE exams since Arts mainly as to do with talk ,writing and reading instead of the confusing algorithm, phytagoras, bodmas and solving evident in Mathematics..
What is your own view of this

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by CharlieMaria(m): 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
OK. STC.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by DGKN: 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
No use!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ZUBY77(m): 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
Actually you have to look at it from a broader perspective.

Many students here has no business being in schools.

There must be something they are good at and must be encouraged to pursue that line but in a society where every mother or father wants to brag that "my son is a doctor or or lawyer" This is what we get.

Even in Most civilized nations, math is never compulsory. But here, we made a foreign language compulsory and made foreign religion compulsory to some level too.

How can you grow when you are busy promoting others.

35 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by eleojo23: 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths is important for critical thinking.

It exercises the brain and sharpen your thinking skills.
It helps us recognise patterns and to understand the world around us.

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

Here are some examples of what I
mean by numeracy:
(a) Being able to critically assess statistics.
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by lebesgue(m): 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
I have nothing intelligent to add to this discussion. I'd like to apologize for taking up this space.

52 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by SafetyFirst(m): 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Let me read the post well first
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by QMark: 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
improves your thinking capacity

21 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by djeezy(m): 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Nice question. My hatred for maths propelled me to be an art student and subsequently law. I thought my mathematics nightmare days were over until I started doing it as a law student in the uni. I was so devastated and we kept asking ourselves why maths? When we got to the bridge we still crossed it.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Baawaa(m): 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
For measurements,very very important

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Olarewajub: 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Any kind of knowledge is extremely significant.

11 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by iceberylin(m): 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Its barely important for Science Students...

Wonder when w'll stop searching for "X" embarassed

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by habex050: 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths is if no use but you just have to get the basic knowledge in it just in case
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by kayce911(f): 6:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Math helps u think deeper

14 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Elusive9(f): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths is boring.. No use undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Swagavillage(m): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2014
I no know

Naija guy banging 2 Ghana girls and he leaks the video online, download here

READ HERE http://l4u.in/AOPdc
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by fuckluv(f): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2014
Why re-write WAEC 6 times just because of maths? That guy needs to be flogged.

On a lighter note, if you want to explore the "journalism field" for example, you just have to know "something" about "everything". Truly understanding numbers and being able to clearly convey their meaning to readers is a crucial part of being a journalist.

What if you want to report an election proceedings?
You should have a working knowledge of arithmetic, be comfortable with statistics and be able to calculate percentages, ratios and other relationships between numbers. You should also understand what margin of error in polling is, have a basic understanding of probability and be able to work with graphs and charts. And, most importantly, you should be able to use this knowledge to help your readers better understand the issues at hand.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Andy790(m): 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
Lame question....
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by datguru: 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
Make them no turn dummy totally na

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by daben1(m): 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
It has to be looked into...
Like seriously when i was in secondary i found it very funny when arts students are doing mathematics
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by keandre: 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
wait..
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Datas121(m): 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
No knowledge is a waste
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by dljbd1(m): 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
Question for the gods!
Mk e grad cm tel workforce or dragnet wtn dy em mind... grin
Tell them you're not a science student and therefore you don't fu€k!n& need maths. I can't wait to see how that turns out cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 22, 2014
But I am of the opinion that maths should be a compulsory subject just like english,people need it without knowing they do,I was an art student,a brilliant one and I hated mathematics, and it's affected me a great deal,I hated all my maths teacher.....not knowing I might actually run into maths in the future again,and I did. I studied international relations, maths was part of the compulsory subjects listed for my admission requirements....thank God,I managed to get a pass,but even now at my age,when my younger ones used to bring their homework to me,statistics and co,I felt ashamed cos I couldn't help out.

And when I started work,I had to do a little bit of maths every day,so I had to get a maths tutor.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Heyliesha(m): 6:40am On Sep 22, 2014
Lazy man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Oceemo(m): 6:40am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths in Nigeria has no use since we are not using it for anything other than in calculations. So for me I aint give a hut about maths. cool
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Iykebestbt(m): 6:40am On Sep 22, 2014
it is a Brain sharpener..makes one a fast thinker

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2012: Stats And Figures. / What Was Your Survival Job Oversea As A Student / Chioma Onuoha Admitted In Three Ivy League Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.