Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22193 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by djeezy(m): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
ximarro: what level in the university did u encounter maths as a law student?
Law students will understand this........Anyway we have Binary in computer programming, we also have mathematical calculations in accounts. etc
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
You've seen a project paying x naira for a mural on the side of a building.

How are you going to calculate to see if it profitable?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by careema(f): 1:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
Iamsynord: Most students in Art class are generally not good in maths but they are forced to pass it after all..
I know of a Particular boy that had to rewrite waec 6 times just because of Maths despite having As and Bus in the other subjects..
This bring the question of whether mathematics is as important to arts students as it is to other class and that it should be scrapped from d core subjects that one must get at least C ,in our SSCE exams since Arts mainly as to do with talk ,writing and reading instead of the confusing algorithm, phytagoras, bodmas and solving evident in Mathematics..
What is your own view of this

I think the problem most art students have is their perspective. they have the mindset they dont need the subject so they tend not to take it serious. My younger brother is an example. me as a person dont believe in individual brilliance, collective failure. wich i notice happens to art student. My advice to all art students. YOu need the subject, forget the fact that its not useful. if you like get A1 parallel. without maths, nibilomakusi in mario's voice. grin.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by 2mNaira: 1:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha

People have beeb doing that for ages:
Two months salary - 3 Months Debt Payment= Total Available Money

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by LuckyLadolce(m): 2:07pm On Sep 22, 2014
lebesgue: I have nothing intelligent to add to this discussion. I'd like to apologize for taking up this space.
Gosh!! Am laffing to tears!! Kisses for u pls!
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by AONO: 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2014
ok oooooo
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2014
fuckluv: Why re-write WAEC 6 times just because of maths? That guy needs to be flogged.

On a lighter note, if you want to explore the "journalism field" for example, you just have to know "something" about "everything". Truly understanding numbers and being able to clearly convey their meaning to readers is a crucial part of being a journalist.

What if you want to report an election proceedings?
You should have a working knowledge of arithmetic, be comfortable with statistics and be able to calculate percentages, ratios and other relationships between numbers. You should also understand what margin of error in polling is, have a basic understanding of probability and be able to work with graphs and charts. And, most importantly, you should be able to use this knowledge to help your readers better understand the issues at hand.
i get but i think we only need to be tauht maths in primary skul and once we can calculate numbers dat shuld be d end but alas i am still looking for x and finding y divided by 2
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ketoprofen(m): 3:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
fuckluv: Why re-write WAEC 6 times just because of maths? That guy needs to be flogged.

On a lighter note, if you want to explore the "journalism field" for example, you just have to know "something" about "everything". Truly understanding numbers and being able to clearly convey their meaning to readers is a crucial part of being a journalist.

You should have a working knowledge of arithmetic, be comfortable with statistics and be able to calculate percentages, ratios and other relationships between numbers. You should also understand what margin of error in polling is, have a basic understanding of probability and be able to work with graphs and charts. And, most importantly, you should be able to use this knowledge to help your readers better understand the issues at hand.

unfortunately, maths doesn't end in arithmetics. try again
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ketoprofen(m): 3:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
mnairaland:

People have beeb doing that for ages:
Two months salary - 3 Months Debt Payment= Total Available Money

Even my illiterate grandma can calculate it without 2x -3y.
Truth is, maths is overated
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by TYAonline: 3:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
Training Substance Detector Dogs

DESCRIPTION:

This practical and thought-provoking video introduces Randy Hare’s revolutionary methods for training substance (drug, explosives, accelerants, biologicals) detector dogs.
It begins with a critical analysis and review of conventional detector dog training methods, and then presents the core ideas of the Hare Method: The handler is not the teacher, the dog teaches himself:
• The dog is not just taught what odors and stimuli to respond to; he is also explicitly taught what NOT to respond to.
• The dog is taught to ignore primary reward (ball) odors and stimuli unless they are encountered in conjunction with target odor. The balance of the video is devoted to a step-by-step guide to Randy’s methods for using his invention, the Hare Detection Training box, to achieve the detector dog trainer’s first three objectives:

1) Select a good detector dog prospect.
2) Teach target odor-reward association.
3) Condition the final response.

Video two of this series shows how to use Randy Hare’s ground-breaking methods to accomplish the next five learning objectives in the training of drug and explosive detector dogs.

4) Teach the dog to divert its attention from reward to target odor.
5) Establish a cue for search behavior.
6) Teach the “oral response.”
7) Develop the dog’s ability to complete prolonged searches.
cool Teach the dog to ignore distracters.

Contact Us:
www.tya.com.ng
Phone: 07035754077
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ugochuks95: 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
djeezy: Nice question. My hatred for maths propelled me to be an art student and subsequently law. I thought my mathematics nightmare days were over until I started doing it as a law student in the uni. I was so devastated and we kept asking ourselves why maths? When we got to the bridge we still crossed it.
.bro were u for read your law and which maths you do
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Olaone1: 4:04pm On Sep 22, 2014
Joavid: Maths is important. Whatever career you choose, you will need to apply your knowledge in maths.

I remember the way my breathing increased when I wanted to check my WAEC result.
God! My heart was pumping faster than normal, all because of maths result. As an art/social science student, I was pretty much confident about other subjects.
Then I saw C3 and I started laughing.

And just when i thought I had escaped maths/calculation in secondary school, am stuck with macro-economics.

Nothing more frustrating than drawing, erasing and re-drawing a graph.
How did you get this D3? Abracadabra? Did they reel off answers in your exam hall?

In maths, you need no soothsayers. And, you must have known the likely outcome if you indeed answered it without help.

To get D3, I reckon one must be far above average. Story for the gods? wink wink

Just prancing around cheesy
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by galaxy304: 5:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
QMark: improves your thinking capacity
literature will make u tink more rationally and in accordance with reality ...not maths DAT just gives on unnecessary headache....

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwakolewa: But I am of the opinion that maths should be a compulsory subject just like english,people need it without knowing they do,I was an art student,a brilliant one and I hated mathematics, and it's affected me a great deal,I hated all my maths teacher.....not knowing I might actually run into maths in the future again,and I did. I studied international relations, maths was part of the compulsory subjects listed for my admission requirements....thank God,I managed to get a pass,but even now at my age,when my younger ones used to bring their homework to me,statistics and co,I felt ashamed cos I couldn't help out.

And when I started work,I had to do a little bit of maths every day,so I had to get a maths tutor.
nne, i suggest maths should be banned. i wanted to study Electrical Engineering, was in Technical college then. i ran away due to maths and its siblings. became an art student. i just got an admission to study banking/finance. and am regreting why i didnt go for Office Tech. Management. we offer Business maths this semester and next semester, we graduate to statistic. am depressed now. i should have known this on time. now, it is late to purchase change of course form, cos' the exam starts next month.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Reality21(m): 5:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
No use.
Dats mah own view
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:54pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwakolewa: But I am of the opinion that maths should be a compulsory subject just like english,people need it without knowing they do,I was an art student,a brilliant one and I hated mathematics, and it's affected me a great deal,I hated all my maths teacher.....not knowing I might actually run into maths in the future again,and I did. I studied international relations, maths was part of the compulsory subjects listed for my admission requirements....thank God,I managed to get a pass,but even now at my age,when my younger ones used to bring their homework to me,statistics and co,I felt ashamed cos I couldn't help out.

And when I started work,I had to do a little bit of maths every day,so I had to get a maths tutor.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Princesschi(f): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2014
desdichando: Olodo...did u loook at d equation u just put down!na una type dey date teacher for sch!
Maths neeed imagination..x and y represents real variables and are used to stand for unknown quantities..if u had put '2x - 3y equal 60', it might mean that 2times hw many biros. - 3times hw many pencils will leave me a change of 60naira

u dint have to call me names. Na ur type too quote me and said something reasonable. U dont know me, dont ever "assume" on something about me. Thank u.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Kunlexic(m): 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
[quote author=]I no know

Naija guy banging 2 Ghana girls and he leaks the video online, download here

READ HERE http://l4u.in/AOPdc
[/quote]
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by olashas(f): 7:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
djeezy: It's very annoying. Will go to law school soon and the thought of maths scares me.
Don't get worked up. It's just in one topic in the course Law in Practice. Simple calculations in payments made to solicitors in leases and mortgages. You will be fine wink
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by logoscope(m): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
MicroBox: Mathis is a language we speak and use everyday , So why the ache.....
If 2X+10=16
Find the value of X
@OP that equation is just a simple language
Abeg Mathis is nothing but day-day language
@OP if consumption per day of my Diesel engine is 52ltrs
How many liters do I need to run my engine for 30days...??
True talk.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by davestead(m): 7:24pm On Sep 22, 2014
dhammyg:
I DISAGREE.THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO ENHANCE DEEP REASONING MATHS &LITERATURE ARE ONE OF THOSE TWO.AND SINCE ARTS STUDENTS ARE ALREADY DOING LITERATURE WE SHOULDN'T BE BURDENED WITH MATHSangry

IF U DOUBT WHAT AM SAYING ABOUT LITERATURE GO AND STUDY LITERATURE 4 A WHILEwink
My dear, believe me, I did Literature in Secondary school as a science student, agreed it was sorta hard and undeniably ambiguous to an extent, but when I read deeply into it, I got the hang of it and I actually started enjoying it. But those Mathematical "word problems" eeeeh, I had to think and think and even nearly swallowed my pen before I started getting the touch of reasoning towards offsetting them...so believe me, I know where you are coming from, but let's not be deceived, Maths is still the best at logical reasoning!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by davestead(m): 7:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
Mbkite: I suggest dey even include Further Maths. #Persönal opinion
WAEC has started including further Maths like Cordinate geometry, matrices, differenciation and integration and its applications in SSCE syllables. Get any latest New General Mathematics and confirm this.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by naturalwaves: 7:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
lebesgue: I have nothing intelligent to add to this discussion. I'd like to apologize for taking up this space.
Lebesgue the maths genius! How are you?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
SkinnyDude:
nne, i suggest maths should be banned. i wanted to study Electrical Engineering, was in Technical college then. i ran away due to maths and its siblings. became an art student. i just got an admission to study banking/finance. and am regreting why i didnt go for Office Tech. Management. we offer Business maths this semester and next semester, we graduate to statistic. am depressed now. i should have known this on time. now, it is late to purchase change of course form, cos' the exam starts next month.

That's what is good for you. tongue tongue
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Contumely: 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
Germeeu: did u have anybdy presently or graduated from law school.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Sunshinelady(f): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: Maths is important for critical thinking.

It exercises the brain and sharpen your thinking skills.
It helps us recognise patterns and to understand the world around us.

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

Here are some examples of what I
mean by numeracy:
(a) Being able to critically assess statistics.
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...
. Tank u very much. As for me maths was my best subject in school
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Sunshinelady(f): 9:11pm On Sep 22, 2014

. 1000likes. U culdnt hav said it better
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Sunshinelady(f): 9:24pm On Sep 22, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, that car or bus you drive in for example was designed using a lot of advanced algebra (calculus) to help make a better and efficent design.

And when you fly a plane...be thankful your pilot knows basic Cartesian coordinates...which involves maths.

That is where your 2x-3y=y comes in.
am sorry if I ever lookd down on NL. Didn't knw dere were so many brilliant pple on here! Kudos 2u 4 sayin dis. Many pple kip askin d ignorant qstion 'y do we have to find 'x''. If only dey knew d importance of findin 'x' and 'y' in maths
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by EmmyDe25(m): 10:42pm On Sep 22, 2014

Interesting.I'm impressed being a somewhat practicing journalist seeing the above caption 'knowing something about everything, and everything about something'

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by jireh250: 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
No worry nau, you go know the importance when you fail many Job aptitude test, where science and arts students are faced with same questions!
Maths and English are key in every endeavour.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mytym(m): 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
In his book "Thoughts on Nigerian Constitution"1966, pg 76 thereof, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, SAN. GCFR opined inter-alia thus:
"If we had our way, we would insist that no one without a good knowledge of Mathematics, or Logic and Methodology, and Psychology,in addition to his professional qualifications, should be elevated to the bench. The rigorous mental drill which these disciplines enforce; the tidiness of mind and precision in thought and presentation which the study of Mathematics, Logic and Methodology provide; and the breadth of outlook and a deep comprehension of the 'the complex of human passion' which psychology imparts all these, among other things, are a sine qua non of any healthy trial or adjudication of dispute. The court, as an organ of the State is sui generis..."

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Was Your Survival Job Oversea As A Student / Absu Admission 2011/2012 Update / Maryleen Uluaku Ndubuaku Graduates With Distinction From UK University Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.