Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,952 members, 7,814,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22160 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by shidof(m): 9:10am On Sep 22, 2014
marieolae: I was an art student and I always hated maths. I will never understand the use of it
Baby, ua really missing. math is fun, interesting nd may be bored nd challenging sometimes. proudly representing critical thoughts for critical minds
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Orikinla(m): 9:13am On Sep 22, 2014
There is no art without geometry and symmetry.
And you need mathematics to understand geometry and symmetry.
I have done paintings based on equations and one of the greatest artists of all time, Leonardo Da Vinci was a mathematician and his immense knowledge of mathematics made him a genius in fine arts.

Drawings and paintings are done with dimensions.

My own artworks even include science and medicine.
I studied the HIV for my oil on canvas painting on the Metamorphosis of the HIV in the T-Cell and doing it required mathematics as well.
The painting is now in the private collection of FHI of U.S.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by XKZ(m): 9:17am On Sep 22, 2014
Aren't you planning to make money? How are you going to count it?
Or do plan to be like one of those celebrities whose PAs, managers, agents etc ran underground?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 22, 2014
The importance is No KNOWLEDGE IS LOST.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 22, 2014
Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha
lol ...
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 22, 2014
iceberylin: Its barely important for Science Students...

Wonder when w'll stop searching for "X" embarassed
Lol. When you stop losing X
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by maggilove(f): 9:37am On Sep 22, 2014
I ran to art class because of maths and latéral studied English in the university. When i got to year two i took a compulsory course titled syntax, one way or the other u had to arrive back at the original sentence. Year three was worst, TGG(transformational générative grammar) na This one worst past. You av to follow a formula, we call it mathematics in English,it was hell for those of us who hated maths. I has a carry over in year three and mater has an E in year four.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by UjSizzle(f): 9:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Quantitative reasoning. I don't see how this is useless to anyone.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by djeezy(m): 9:38am On Sep 22, 2014
olashas:
grin grin. Yeah. In uni and in law school.
It's very annoying. Will go to law school soon and the thought of maths scares me.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Germeeu: 9:41am On Sep 22, 2014
Did u pple knw in some country mathematics is an Art subject?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by tpia1: 9:41am On Sep 22, 2014
ZUBY77:

Even in Most civilized nations, math is never compulsory.

Actually, it is, in university.

In nigeria, however, its not compulsory for arts students in tertiary institutions once you pass it in waec.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by tpia1: 9:43am On Sep 22, 2014
Germeeu: Did u pple knw in some country mathematics is an Art subject?

Its mandatory for everyone.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by pweetyz(f): 9:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Studying maths increases your intelligence quotient in general..it does'nt matter if you're arts or science inclined..this is because it challenges your brain which is a good way to boost your intelligence..scientists suggests that humans should play brain challenging games occasionally and if you've ever tried that..you'll notice that they are filles with calculations and other maths related stuffs
as someone noted earlier..maths also helps in our everyday life..someone might say that budgetting has to do with economics buh that is actually the mathematical aspect of economics
as a lawyer you also have to calculate your chances of winning a case if you use a particular point,witness or alibi..
mathematics is very important and should also be given the respect and attention it requires..if you should ask me..i'd say that students just hate it because the present day students are sorta lazy and don't want to get involved in anything stressful and challenging..its no fault of some people though cos i've seen really serious people not excel in mathematics..i recommend counselling for them..

p.s..i'm an art student buh had maths as my best subject from primary school till i graduated

hope i helped

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 22, 2014
surestsam: please, explain what u are doing in literature... To me... That course abi na subject is meant for lazy piple.. How can u b comparing resonin level of math to literature? Even in d primary skool days there was notin like literature reasoning... We only have Quantitative and Verbal reasoning.. Of which quantitative use to b more challenging
UR COMMENT REEKS OF IGNORANCE.I GUESS U'VE NEVER READ SOME POWERFUL NOVELS&POEMS BEFORE.THERE ARE SEVERAL BRILLANT ARTS STUDENTS.IF LITERATURE WAS FOR LAZY STUDENTS.THEN PEOPLE WILL NOT BE FINDING IT DIFFICULT.

CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN UR IGNORANCEangry
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Orikinla(m): 9:50am On Sep 22, 2014
Mathematics is necessary in every aspect of life, including the Art of Seduction and Sex.
The mapping of the geography of romantic landscape of searching for the right person to date and marry and the measurements of sex organs and orga-sms and family planning.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 22, 2014
To the arts students, mathematics is useless until they graduate and recurrently see mathematics questions in several Job aptitude tests which they need to pass to get considered for the job. My advice is that arts students should know basic arithmetic cause it may turn out helpful when they least expect it.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths teaches you a very important skill: Problem Solving! Maths teaches you how to think.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by fairheven: 9:59am On Sep 22, 2014
Our major problem with maths has to do with "bad tutors",in all my years of hard labour in school,i couldn't learn a tin in maths,when I came out of school,I met a friend who tot me maths in less than two months(wt I cudnt do in school hard labour)
*this happened because the person tot me as"a friend"and not as"a teacher-master"
*i culd relate to him freely and express myself without fear of prejudice..which often the case in our "consentration Camp" grin also known as schools. : cool
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by surestsam(m): 10:03am On Sep 22, 2014
dhammyg:
UR COMMENT REEKS OF IGNORANCE.I GUESS U'VE NEVER READ SOME POWERFUL NOVELS&POEMS BEFORE.THERE ARE SEVERAL BRILLANT ARTS STUDENTS.IF LITERATURE WAS FOR LAZY STUDENTS.THEN PEOPLE WILL NOT BE FINDING IT DIFFICULT.

CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN UR IGNORANCEangry
literature ma ass... As a science student, i'l stil write a good story for you.. But u cant just do wats meant for science without proper learning.. Many novelist today dint even study literature... If u find writing fictional stories difficult, i wonder wat wil hapun if u are to write a computer program... Compare dem..

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mansmith(m): 10:08am On Sep 22, 2014
its not relevant as the new law is that all of them should send me all their cash transactions
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Octaves(m): 10:09am On Sep 22, 2014
It's crucial in many aspects of life but people who want to study core arts courses like history, philosophy, religion, etc may be allowed with a D7 in maths
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by hillit: 10:13am On Sep 22, 2014
How Can one plus one put food on my table. This question has been disturbing me
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 22, 2014
surestsam: literature ma ass... As a science student, i'l stil write a good story for you.. But u cant just do wats meant for science without proper learning.. Many novelist today dint even study literature... If u find writing fictional stories difficult, i wonder wat wil hapun if u are to write a computer program... Compare dem..
ASSHOLZ WHO THINK STUDYING SCIENCE MAKES THEM BETTERgringrin

AS I SAID CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN UR IGNORANCEwink
WHY DO U THINK THERE IS A NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE IF IT IS AS SIMPLE AS U CLAIM tongue
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Inik(m): 10:20am On Sep 22, 2014
Mathematics helps in critical thinking and reasoning. We all can't do without it in our daily lives.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: Maths is important for critical thinking.

It exercises the brain and sharpen your thinking skills.
It helps us recognise patterns and to understand the world around us.

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

Here are some examples of what I
mean by numeracy:
(a) Being able to critically assess statistics.
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...
LOGIC AS A COURSE IS AS IMPORTANT AS MATHEMATICS.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mikron(m): 10:24am On Sep 22, 2014
maths is very i repeat very important in every course of study, dont ask me how.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by richol(m): 10:33am On Sep 22, 2014

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

mean by numeracy:
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...
Jnr secondary school
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by eleojo23: 10:34am On Sep 22, 2014
AKUNWATA1: LOGIC AS A COURSE IS AS IMPORTANT AS MATHEMATICS.
There is a subfield of mathematics called mathematical logic exploring the applications of formal logic to mathematics.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mytym(m): 10:35am On Sep 22, 2014

mean by numeracy:

This is very true.... a quote by Obafemi Awolowo from one law journal i had read butresses it.

Xcapist: Maths teaches you a very important skill: Problem Solving! Maths teaches you how to think.

pweetyz: Studying maths increases your intelligence quotient in general..it does'nt matter if you're arts or science inclined..this is because it challenges your brain which is a good way to boost your intelligence..scientists suggests that humans should play brain challenging games occasionally and if you've ever tried that..you'll notice that they are filles with calculations and other maths related stuffs
as someone noted earlier..maths also helps in our everyday life..someone might say that budgetting has to do with economics buh that is actually the mathematical aspect of economics
as a lawyer you also have to calculate your chances of winning a case if you use a particular point,witness or alibi..
mathematics is very important and should also be given the respect and attention it requires..if you should ask me..i'd say that students just hate it because the present day students are sorta lazy and don't want to get involved in anything stressful and challenging..its no fault of some people though cos i've seen really serious people not excel in mathematics..i recommend counselling for them..
p.s..i'm an art student buh had maths as my best subject from primary school till i graduated
hope i helped
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by surestsam(m): 10:35am On Sep 22, 2014
dhammyg:
ASSHOLZ WHO THINK STUDYING SCIENCE MAKES THEM BETTERgringrin

AS I SAID CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN UR IGNORANCEwink
WHY DO U THINK THERE IS A NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE IF IT IS AS SIMPLE AS U CLAIM tongue
NOBEL price ko.. NOVEL price ni.... What is their significance in d world.. What impact are they even makin or givin d world...? Bunch of olodos...
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 22, 2014
kayce911: PHILOSOPHY helps u think deeper
FIXED
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 10:36am On Sep 22, 2014
Dear Maths, i'm sorry that i cant solve your problem. I have other people's problem to solve. So, leave me alone.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarship Programme 2015/2016 Registration Begins / What Was Your Survival Job Oversea As A Student / FUNAAB Students Beat A Thief Who Stole Tecno Phone (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.