Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,969 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22203 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by prowlG: 8:01am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths is so important, it is used in almost all areas
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Eberex(m): 8:04am On Sep 22, 2014
You are talking like you are not a Nigerian. Do you think an Art student cant end up working in a science-oriented company? Our field of study doesn't really affect where we work, hence Mathematics is important to all students.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by InvertedHammer: 8:04am On Sep 22, 2014
/
Arts students no dey count money?

If an Arts student becomes a CEO, wouldn't he/she be reading Accounting and Financial reports?

Or do you think Arts students are not going to excel in life beyond pepper and tomatoes sellers?

\

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Chrisx1x(m): 8:05am On Sep 22, 2014
For those who are asking if maths is important,uhmm what can i say.
Maths explains many things around us.its applications are diverse
pls let me use this medium to advise u that u cnt escape it,when u get to d higher institution,u wil stil do some maths related course and if ur foundation is weak,then u wil find things very diffucult than u ever imagined.

I wonder what u are going to tell ur kids if they bring some maths prob for u to solve and u culdnt do it
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 22, 2014
jantavanta:

Maths, like Physics, is not taught in a culturally relevant context.

Very true. All science subjects in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Phemmmy(m): 8:06am On Sep 22, 2014
Art is Geometry.
And Geometry is a branch of Mathematics.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: so does English- the many angles of it.

Literature encourages more of a deeper thinking than Maths. With Maths there's a laid down procedure, with Literature, you have to explain a poem or a story in relation to the events of your society in YOUR OWN WORDS

Without maths you'd have been limited to sharing everything you write via photocopy. You wouldn't be able to share this opinion of the language that gave us the internet
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by kamo2930yahoo(f): 8:12am On Sep 22, 2014
Maths is boring to most Arts students. I had to copy and paste during my WAEC before I had a credit. It wasn't funny cos I knew I won't be admitted into any university without Maths.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by surestsam(m): 8:13am On Sep 22, 2014
dhammyg:
I DISAGREE.THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO ENHANCE DEEP REASONING MATHS &LITERATURE ARE ONE OF THOSE TWO.AND SINCE ARTS STUDENTS ARE ALREADY DOING LITERATURE WE SHOULDN'T BE BURDENED WITH MATHSangry

IF U DOUBT WHAT AM SAYING ABOUT LITERATURE GO AND STUDY LITERATURE 4 A WHILEwink
please, explain what u are doing in literature... To me... That course abi na subject is meant for lazy piple.. How can u b comparing resonin level of math to literature? Even in d primary skool days there was notin like literature reasoning... We only have Quantitative and Verbal reasoning.. Of which quantitative use to b more challenging

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Is this really to be discussed? How can an individual not see the importance of mathematics or at least arithmetics in our everyday lives?!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Acecube(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2014
As an artist... though not really active as just happens to be a talent. You need to be able to calculate the dimensions of things though unconsciously in Art schools in France u do anatomy(study of human structures or body) the main reason for this is for u to know how large a head should be relative to other body parts (isn't that maths) .. Even Da Vinci was a mathematician his work depicts far more than just paintings but numbers, dimensions... though his shapes were atheistic but it's still math... There was a thread on individuals with high IQ two things were common with most of them.. they were good at chess and Mathematics... Me I'm a mathematician first before you can start saying... writer,comedian,rapper,singer,anatomist,medical student, chess-novice, footballer... lolz

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by patwilly(m): 8:27am On Sep 22, 2014
abvictory: Tell your friend to study harder
lol. Engr. prof. abvictory.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by jerry26: 8:34am On Sep 22, 2014
maths is a language of communication.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by brilapluz(m): 8:34am On Sep 22, 2014
Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha
whoever invented maths came with two packages:theory and practical...tot our fathers and forefathers the importance of BOTH....but in our own wisdom,we systematically left out d practical aspect hoping d smart or bright students will understand and adapt while d others are left wit d tinking dat maths is extremely difficult 4 dem,so dey run away....just my opinion

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mstik(f): 8:36am On Sep 22, 2014
The question should be, why are they so scared of Mathematics? Why is English Language also compulsory? After all, I speak good enough English and I do not need to know about clauses, phonetic symbols, sentence construction and other 'irrelevant' things I'm being taught.
Mathematics is a universal part of human culture. It helps to develop a well rounded student.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Jhayeahsam01(m): 8:37am On Sep 22, 2014
to know the amount of colour needed to paint dr art work...
to calculate the length of the sketch material...
to know the amount of price goods will be sold....

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Mbkite(m): 8:39am On Sep 22, 2014
I suggest dey even include Further Maths. #Persönal opinion
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by safarigirl(f): 8:40am On Sep 22, 2014
oyb:

Without maths you'd have been limited to sharing everything you write via photocopy. You wouldn't be able to share this opinion of the language that gave us the internet
without English you wouldn't have been able to even express yourself on the internet to start with grin
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by safarigirl(f): 8:42am On Sep 22, 2014
mstik: The question should be, why are they so scared of Mathematics? Why is English Language also compulsory? After all, I speak good English and I do not need to know about clauses, phonetic symbols, sentence construction and other 'irrelevant' things I'm being taught.
Mathematics is a universal part of human culture. It helps to develop a well rounded student.
lol...are you sure you speak good english? Do you get ALL the pronunciations correctly? Or do you just speak the Nigerian version of English and term it 'good English'?

English is too vast and being that you're not English, you really won't be able to speak the language as good as you think you do
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by sunkuns003(m): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2014
iwakolewa: But I am of the opinion that maths should be a compulsory subject just like english,people need it without knowing they do,I was an art student,a brilliant one and I hated mathematics, and it's affected me a great deal,I hated all my maths teacher.....not knowing I might actually run into maths in the future again,and I did. I studied international relations, maths was part of the compulsory subjects listed for my admission requirements....thank God,I managed to get a pass,but even now at my age,when my younger ones used to bring their homework to me,statistics and co,I felt ashamed cos I couldn't help out.

And when I started work,I had to do a little bit of maths every day,so I had to get a maths tutor.

Please tell all these lazy Nairalanders who are saying that Maths is not relevant. Just imagine that someone who used to think like you (that Maths is useless) went and studied International relations (a pure arts course) in the University. Only to discover that she desperately need Mathematics for her to apply the course she had passed in the university, and went as far as contracting a Mathematics tutor when she had started working.
This should sound as a warning to you lazy ones to change your way of thinking and work hard now to save yourself some embarrassment in future. Mathematics is still the king of all subjects!

Just mention where it is not required and I will prove you wrong.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Timothy3113(m): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2014
I beg make person create a counter thread for these o. With eng. When i was young, when my dad taught me math, he told me math is the most simply subject. And i followed that ordeal.
For my first waec na B3 i get for math, F9 for eng. My second waec B2 for math oriyomi c6 for eng.
No matter what in math if you are critical thinker you no fit fail. But art related subject, dem be wasssh. My art friends, some of them are still taking gce. Looking for lit
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mstik(f): 8:45am On Sep 22, 2014
edited to 'good enough'
The question was directed to the art students who don't see why Mathematics should be compulsory. I also asked them why English should be compulsory.
It does not apply to me lol
safarigirl: lol...are you sure you speak good english? Do you get ALL the pronunciations correctly? Or do you just speak the Nigerian version of English and term it 'good English'?

English is too vast and being that you're not English, you really won't be able to speak the language as good as you think you do
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by noblenadis(m): 8:51am On Sep 22, 2014
DGKN: No use!
Basic Mathematics is great for Everybody.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by gnykelly(m): 8:51am On Sep 22, 2014
mathematics is general language just like English. you can't do without measurement in you work. or can you draw a human body and without their adequate proportion.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by prowlG: 8:52am On Sep 22, 2014
kamo2930yahoo: Maths is boring to most Arts students. I had to copy and paste during my WAEC before I had a credit. It wasn't funny cos I knew I won't be admitted into any university without Maths.

See confession.... Lolz
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by sunkuns003(m): 8:55am On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: lol...are you sure you speak good english? Do you get ALL the pronunciations correctly? Or do you just speak the Nigerian version of English and term it 'good English'?

Man note that the only importance of English language is solely for effective communication which can be achieved using other languages. The only universally understood language which is compulsory irrespective of your language is Mathematics. Once you understand English well and can effectively communicate with it, you don't need more of it. Most people that have the best technologies in the world did not develop it with English but Maths. Their respective languages are enough for them. But Mathematics is compulsory for them. Come to think of it, is there any country where Mathematics is not compulsorily studied? But I tell you, there are many countries where English is not needed and is not studied in school and their technologies and economies are very good.

To the lazy Nigerian student, embrace Mathematics so that we will all progress together in all aspects.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by kemiola89(f): 8:56am On Sep 22, 2014
To test their proficiency...
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by AZeD1(m): 8:57am On Sep 22, 2014
Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha
People use '2x-3y = y' everyday.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by marieolae(f): 9:05am On Sep 22, 2014
I was an art student and I always hated maths. I will never understand the use of it
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by safarigirl(f): 9:06am On Sep 22, 2014
sunkuns003:

Man note that the only importance of English language is solely for effective communication which can be achieved using other languages. The only universally understood language which is compulsory irrespective of your language is Mathematics. Once you understand English well and can effectively communicate with it, you don't need more of it. Most people that have the best technologies in the world did not develop it with English but Maths. Their respective languages are enough for them. But Mathematics is compulsory for them. Come to think of it, is there any country where Mathematics is not compulsorily studied? But I tell you, there are many countries where English is not needed and is not studied in school and their technologies and economies are very good.

To the lazy Nigerian student, embrace Mathematics so that we will all progress together in all aspects.
well for us who write, effective use of English is highly required. While Mathematicians couldn't be bothered by their communication skills.

English gives you a deeper sense of self expression, Maths puts you in a box. It all depends on where you're at and your interests. The only thing I use Maths for is word-count.

But this topic is on why arts students need Maths, not what Maths has done for this world.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by sunkuns003(m): 9:08am On Sep 22, 2014
gnykelly: mathematics is general language just like English. you can't do without measurement in you work. or can you draw a human body and without their adequate proportion.

I agree that Maths is a general (universal) language needed by everyone irrespective of your language or country but I do not agree that English is. It is only compulsory in some countries where it is spoken as official language. In most countries, it has substitute languages but Maths does not have any substitute. Mathematics is one and is used universally (the only universal language understood by all that know it). You can use it to communicate to a Chinese, Dutch, French or English people effectively without you understanding their languages. It is not same as English.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by safarigirl(f): 9:09am On Sep 22, 2014
mstik: edited to 'good enough'
The question was directed to the art students who don't see why Mathematics should be compulsory. I also asked them why English should be compulsory.
It does not apply to me lol
I'm an arts student. I don't totally suck at Maths but it's not my best subject.

And most of the calculations in Mathematics are of little or no importance to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2012: Stats And Figures. / Chioma Onuoha Admitted In Three Ivy League Schools / UI Lecturer Denies Giving Students $100 Each For Attending His Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.