Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,610 members, 7,827,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22225 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 22, 2014
How Is Math Used in Art?
Math is used in art as geometric patterns, or to use the rules
of math to direct how the eye will travel. Math is used in art
to put things in perspective or to create a vanishing point.
You can find more information here: http://www-
history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/HistTopics/Art.html
Q&A Related to "How Is Math Used in Art"
How to Use Art to Teach Math and Science.
1. If you are teaching addition and subtraction, you can
use visual symbols. For example, if you are trying to
show that "8-4 = 4, have eight cutouts of apples. Pin
them to the
http://www.ehow.com/how_5727753_use-art-teach-
math...
How is Geometry Used in Art?
Geometry is used as a means of finding and measuring
perspective while painting or drawing landscape scenes.
It is also used while drawing lines and various organic
shapes.
http://www.ask.com/web-answers/Science/
Mathematics...
How to Use Excel for Retail Math.
1. Open Microsoft Excel. 2. Enter "Wholesale Price,
"Retail Price, "Sales Volume, "Markup, "Profit Margin,
"Total Sales" and "Net Profit"
http://www.ehow.com/how_12106236_use-excel-retail-...
How Do Lawyers Use Math?
Percentages One of the most common ways that
lawyers use math are percentages. For example, they
many need to calculate what the odds are they'll win a
trial. Divorce lawyers especially
http://www.ehow.com/how_4926151_lawyers-use-
math.h...
Similar Questions
How Is Math Used In Art?
How To Use Art To Teach Math?
How Is Math Used In Martial Arts?
What Type of Art Uses Geometry?
How To Use Rubber Art Stamps And Paper Punches?
How To Use Antique Plates For Wall Art?
How Does Cosmetology Use Math?
How To Use A Computer In A Math Career?
People Also Asked
How Do Engineers Use Math?
What is the answer to 3/20 changed into a decimal showing
the work?
How Many Million Are There in a Billion?
Fact Family?
What Is a Geometric Shape?
What Is a Cube Number in Math?
What Is the Value of 4?
What are the numbers called in an addition problem?
Quadrangle That Has 2 Pairs of Equal Sides but Is Not a
Parallelogram?
How to Approximate the Mean of Group Data?
Top Related Searches
How Is Math Used in Art in Different Cultures
How Is Math Used in Artwork
Relationship between Math and Art
How Is Math Related to Art
What Are Ways That Math and Art Are Related
Relation between Math and Art
How Is Geometry Used in Art
Mathematical Art
Math Used in Everyday Life
Role of Mathematics in Art
Wikipedia on Ask.com
Mathematics
Mathematics is the study of topics such as quantity
(numbers), structure, space, and change. There is a range of
views among mathematicians and philosophers as to the
exact...
Explore this Topic
How Does Math Relate to Art
Art and mathematics are related in that almost every artist
will use a geometric form at some point in their creating.
Artists also use measuring, calculations ...
What Is a Compound Shape in Maths
A compound shape in maths is an editable art made of two
or more objects, each assigned a shape mode. These shapes
create complex shapes by manipulating the shape ...
What Subjects Are Taught in Elementary School?
There are quite a few subjects taught in elementary school
depending on the grade. For lower grades it is spelling,
language arts, reading, math, science, social ...
About - Privacy - Careers - Ask Blog - Mobile - He

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by sambisa5: 7:06am On Sep 22, 2014
fuckluv: Why re-write WAEC 6 times just because of maths? That guy needs to be flogged.

On a lighter note, if you want to explore the "journalism field" for example, you just have to know "something" about "everything". Truly understanding numbers and being able to clearly convey their meaning to readers is a crucial part of being a journalist.

What if you want to report an election proceedings?
You should have a working knowledge of arithmetic, be comfortable with statistics and be able to calculate percentages, ratios and other relationships between numbers. You should also understand what margin of error in polling is, have a basic understanding of probability and be able to work with graphs and charts. And, most importantly, you should be able to use this knowledge to help your readers better understand the issues at hand.

i dey clap for you here.......you have said it all........

Give ur child a good foundation in mathematics and he or she will be ready to slove any maths problem anytime and day....

Many never had a good foundation in maths and that is what is bringing this thread

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 22, 2014
Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha

Well, that car or bus you drive in for example was designed using a lot of advanced algebra (calculus) to help make a better and efficent design.

And when you fly a plane...be thankful your pilot knows basic Cartesian coordinates...which involves maths.

That is where your 2x-3y=y comes in.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by tuffgongjo(m): 7:06am On Sep 22, 2014
bushdoc9919: I don't know much about the Arts...but some fine artists use mathematical concepts in their work.
Richard Sickert is a good Example of such.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by safarigirl(f): 7:11am On Sep 22, 2014
kayce911: Math helps u think deeper
so does English- the many angles of it.

Literature encourages more of a deeper thinking than Maths. With Maths there's a laid down procedure, with Literature, you have to explain a poem or a story in relation to the events of your society in YOUR OWN WORDS

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by perfectcrush(m): 7:11am On Sep 22, 2014
To know how to solve maths.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by linearity: 7:13am On Sep 22, 2014
What you are thought at that level is not Mathematics, is it called Arithmetic.

Now ask the question again, if Art students should pass Arithmetic, which us defined as consisting of the study of numbers and their properties namely: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

If you carry any WACE syllabus, that is all that is required of you. You do not computability, you do not Complexity, you do not Algorithm, etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by kobonaire(m): 7:13am On Sep 22, 2014
Basic Math skills is a must, Otherwise the individual may sell his art for 100,000 kobos and be thinking he's rich - not that there's anything wrong in being a kobonaire wink

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by saintneo(m): 7:14am On Sep 22, 2014
Apparently, the question should be why is English compulsory? lol?

Sorry people, my case was different. In my secondary school days, I hated anything that made me write lots of words ...... CRK, English, Igbo, History most of all Literature in English. Anything mathematics, spatial, pictorial, logical was welcomed.

Glad, I have got the balance now.

My advice to those poor in mathematics, just believe that the next person is not better than you are, you just need to build on your speed. Our brains are wired differently.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by lawrenceunaa: 7:17am On Sep 22, 2014
it is bias for only science students to take maths.
The subject basis of all eductional discipline is maths and english undecided
An art student studying statistics, accounting and business ad means calculations right cheesy

Art student make live harder for themselves by saying maths isn't needed in their aspect but the end up studing what they hate
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Dear Maths,
It's hightime you started solving your own problems. You're growing up, you ain't a kid no more. You can do things by yourself.

Stop asking us to find your "X" she's not coming back and don't ask "Y" neither. Your wahala just too much.

Sincerely,
Amefrica.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by surestsam(m): 7:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Every literate shud know Statistics... Highly needed in life.. No matter how small, u'l always need to calculate.. What if u hapund to b d Lawyer of Bank? U have to know how d bank operates.. or u are a lawyer to an insurance company nd u dont know simple mathematics ...smh for dos shoutin 'its not needed' ...even berger dey calculated money

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by surestsam(m): 7:24am On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: so does English- the many angles of it.

Literature encourages more of a deeper thinking than Maths. With Maths there's a laid down procedure, with Literature, you have to explain a poem or a story in relation to the events of your society in YOUR OWN WORDS
abegi... No subject enhances Reasoning than Mathematics....

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by linearity: 7:27am On Sep 22, 2014
Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha

Without that 2x-3y=y your keyboard will not work, your PC will not work and we all be transformed to the Stone Age.

80% of Wall Street runs on Algorithm, street lights runs on Algorithm, your manufacturing plant runs on Algorithm, there are Pharmacies today that runs on Algorithm, large multinational companies run that customer service center on Algorithm, etc and what is Algorithm, you may ask? It is simply the step by step process if carrying out a calculation from the known to the unknown which is a branch of Mathematic, the same process used to calculate y above.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by surestsam(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2014
Even fine-artist now use modern technology to draw.. Most must calculate in pixels, percentages, centimetres nd d rest...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Barywhyte(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2014
Iamsynord: Most students in Art class are generally not good in maths but they are forced to pass it after all..
I know of a Particular boy that had to rewrite waec 6 times just because of Maths despite having As and Bus in the other subjects..
This bring the question of whether mathematics is as important to arts students as it is to other class and that it should be scrapped from d core subjects that one must get at least C ,in our SSCE exams since Arts mainly as to do with talk ,writing and reading instead of the confusing algorithm, phytagoras, bodmas and solving evident in Mathematics..
What is your own view of this

And whats so difficult in High school maths that an art student cant understand? You should pass all your nine subjects or smthing like that regardless of weather it is maths or English or whorever. Being an art student is not an excuse for failing maths. Yall all do maths everyday.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by safarigirl(f): 7:30am On Sep 22, 2014
surestsam: abegi... No subject enhances Reasoning than Mathematics....
whatever makes you feel better
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by henrystevo: 7:32am On Sep 22, 2014
So correct,so annoyin when parents emphsize on maths like it will take sm1 to Heaven undecided
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Padipadi(m): 7:34am On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: Maths is important for critical thinking
I disagree.
Critical thinking can also come from other subjects.
I d prefer that maths be taught as compulsory subject in secondary schools but it should not be mandatory to v credit in it at SSCE. Or possibly give art students who are gaining tertiary institution admission the grace of having at least a pass
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by olashas(f): 7:34am On Sep 22, 2014
djeezy: Nice question. My hatred for maths propelled me to be an art student and subsequently law. I thought my mathematics nightmare days were over until I started doing it as a law student in the uni. I was so devastated and we kept asking ourselves why maths? When we got to the bridge we still crossed it.
grin grin. Yeah. In uni and in law school.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Superstar007(m): 7:35am On Sep 22, 2014
I love mathematics smiley but Further maths shocked
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by searay(m): 7:35am On Sep 22, 2014
Its to to raise their BP as in if the will pass or fail. You guys know the rest. Sha I thanked the guy known as CACAS for helping me to pass calculus. God.punish myth 121
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:35am On Sep 22, 2014
We all need maths to excel. Even if you are an art student, knowing maths would make you better than your peers who don‘t know it. Drawings are usually in proportions and also deals with angles, thats why mathematicians like leonaldo dan vinci excelled in art.

If you are a lawyer you need maths to collect and process data. If the case has to do with finance, a lawyer that is good in maths can use simple percentages to decieve the other one who hates maths.

Also there is personal finance, one need to be able to prepare his budget, if one is abe to put his monthly expenditure in a pie chat and compare it with previous months, he would be better able to manage his finance than one who do not know the proportion of his income he spends in recharge card.

Everybody needs maths, those who say they do not need maths, if they are sincere, would remember the many times they would have been able to solve a problem if they had known maths. And the embarassment of calling a small child to help them do simple calculations. The more maths you know, the more productive you would be.

THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA EDUCATION SYSTEM IS THAT WE WERE NOT TAUGTH HOW TO APPLY MATHS IN OUR LIVES, WE WERE JUST TAUGHT HOW TO SOLVE MATHS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ruffhandu: 7:36am On Sep 22, 2014
linearity: What you are thought at that level is not Mathematics, is it called Arithmetic.

Now ask the question again, if Art students should pass Arithmetic, which us defined as consisting of the study of numbers and their properties namely: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

If you carry any WACE syllabus, that is all that is required of you. You do not computability, you do not Complexity, you do not Algorithm, etc.

Are you serious or just joking by the bolded?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by bist: 7:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Elusive9: Maths is boring.. No use undecided

More useful to the economy than ur lazy arss poo.sea!
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 22, 2014
I AGREE.I HATED THE SUBJECT IN SEC SCHOOL.BUT I STILL MANAGED TO PASS IT SHAundecided
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by eleojo23: 7:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Padipadi:
I disagree.
Critical thinking can also come from other subjects.
I d prefer that maths be taught as compulsory subject in secondary schools but it should not be mandatory to v credit in it at SSCE. Or possibly give art students who are gaining tertiary institution admission the grace of having at least a pass
You have a point.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by sunkuns003(m): 7:49am On Sep 22, 2014
I don't know why I had to come here. I have discovered that most of the NLs saying that Mathematics is not important to Arts students are those who have not passed their O'level exams. They don't even know their rights from their lefts. They really need proper orientation to get them thinking properly. Maths is critically important to everyone whether a student or not, an arts student or not. To me, if you are still thinking that you do not need Maths, then you need to go back to nursery school and start your reorientation from the scratch.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 22, 2014
surestsam: abegi... No subject enhances Reasoning than Mathematics....
I DISAGREE.THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO ENHANCE DEEP REASONING MATHS &LITERATURE ARE ONE OF THOSE TWO.AND SINCE ARTS STUDENTS ARE ALREADY DOING LITERATURE WE SHOULDN'T BE BURDENED WITH MATHSangry

IF U DOUBT WHAT AM SAYING ABOUT LITERATURE GO AND STUDY LITERATURE 4 A WHILEwink
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mrgreen4real(m): 7:54am On Sep 22, 2014
DGKN: No use!
If you are a business man it helps a lot
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by jantavanta(m): 7:55am On Sep 22, 2014
dcaliph: We all need maths to excel. Even if you are an art student, knowing maths would make you better than your peers who don‘t know it. Drawings are usually in proportions and also deals with angles, thats why mathematicians like leonaldo dan vinci excelled in art.

If you are a lawyer you need maths to collect and process data. If the case has to do with finance, a lawyer that is good in maths can use simple percentages to decieve the other one who hates maths.

Also there is personal finance, one need to be able to prepare his budget, if one is abe to put his monthly expenditure in a pie chat and compare it with previous months, he would be better able to manage his finance than one who do not know the proportion of his income he spends in recharge card.

Everybody needs maths, ........m

THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA EDUCATION SYSTEM IS THAT WE WERE NOT TAUGTH HOW TO APPLY MATHS IN OUR LIVES, WE WERE JUST TAUGHT HOW TO SOLVE MATHS.

Maths, like Physics, is not taught in a culturally relevant context.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by khadaffi(m): 8:00am On Sep 22, 2014
fuckluv:
What if you want to report an election proceedings?
You should have a working knowledge of arithmetic, be comfortable with statistics and be able to calculate percentages, ratios and other relationships between numbers. You should also understand what margin of error in polling is, have a basic understanding of probability and be able to work with graphs and charts. And, most importantly, you should be able to use this knowledge to help your readers better understand the issues at hand.
I beg to differ on this stuff you wrote here. A primary school graduate who is able to pass the common entrance with his/her brain should be able to perform those mathematics because basic maths is what is required for those. I believe what the OP is talking about here is mathematics from the sss1-3 and university when there is already a clear distinction that the individual is either an art or science student. In this instance Maths is totally not Needed in anything art if we want to be sincere because it is expected that every student by now is already familiar with basic maths

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Valuable Is Online Degree? / University Of Ibadan Distance Learning Latest News / Project Topics And Materials In Medical Laboratory Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.