Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (62481 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by alaladakosta(f): 8:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sanchez01: Lol... You sure have a point and I must confess that your points are well placed. However, I must point out to you that I have always wanted to practice objective journalism which seems to be a mirage in our beloved country. I rounded off my first degree in June. I guess you understand that the financial aspect is not there yet. The argument here is not whether the West is not better than Nigeria; but that running to the West should not be the last resort, particularly when such persons have little or no educational background cum skills to help them scale through.
Goodnight smiley

Bro, talk true make them help u. Drop your pride man. From your post all I can see is a desperate boy. Condemning what is better than yours

7 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by UnimkeAk(m): 8:03pm On Sep 27, 2014
An0nimus: The grass is always greener on the other side.smiley

Seems greener.

Long time manh!
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by WhyAWhy(m): 8:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
majekdom2: I can't answer that for you .... its no theories bro . do you read ? if yes , do you read through biographies of successful people ? if yes , you will always find the zeal right from childhood... I know you might say travelling abroad is some zeal too .... yea , but not blaming it on a failed government you understand now ?

You were very close to making sense
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by 01mcfadden(m): 8:07pm On Sep 27, 2014
bebe2:

see my brother, its not like that,

no one wants to leave their home and settle outside.

maybe u r financially stable so a job with UN is not a big deal but for others like
you, that could be the ticket out of absolute porverty.

if u and those around u are comfortable, have u ever sat down and wondered about those young children
you see under the bridge? or those old pple u see looking hungry or that disabled person being wheeled about
looking for money?

you may have be desensitised to these issues but for pple who visit nigeria, these are raw experiences because you
tend to forget after awhile how things are in naija until u get home again.

personally, i cant take it. it breaks my heart.
imagine living in a country for 10yrs without seeing a single mad person, then u land in your country and there it is in front of you,
a brother wit matted hair, filthy torn clothes, eating out of the gutters. from there on my mind don spoil.

thats somebody's son or brother or even a father, they havent committed any crime, its sheer badluck dat they have mental illness and nobody seem to care. its beyond me dat pple can see dat everyday and still think its ok , and hail politicians who are clearly embezzling the money meant for the vulnerable in the society.

the west is not heaven but i bet its close.

just one example,
i was very ill last night, severe stomach, at about 3am i couldnt bear it any so i called an ambulance.
within minutes a motor bike came with paramedics and started taking my blood pressure etc in our living room, few minutes later an ambulance came, the motor bike guys handed over and left and the ambulance took me to the hospital.

then i compare that wit my experience in nigeria when my nephews were sick, and u wonder if na God really create all humans.

the morale of the story is, dnt knock it till u ve tried it.

it may not suit u but for me and many others, the west is home for now.

gd night smiley

Bartender,pls give this man a crate of gulder.
You said my mind!
#Jamming hands together for you!

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by oathman(m): 8:07pm On Sep 27, 2014
nobody fit tell me nt to port, even jonah no fit angry angry

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Yemlizzy(f): 8:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
Some people would do anything to go abroad,different stroke for different folks anyway.

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by parrotibaba(m): 8:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
safarigirl: which politician spoilt Nigeria? It's foolish Nigerians that spoilt and are still spoiling Nigeria.

You should all be ashamed that less than 3% of Nigerians have put 97% of us in bondage. Really, it's pathetic.

Look at this 4,000 NYSC payment, do you realise if everyone agrees not to pay a dime, they'll cancel that thing? But no, Nigerians can sabotage themselves, a bunch of eediots will go and pay and the rest will have to follow suuite.

When that immigration stampede happened, there were enough people in the Abuja centre to march to aso rock and begin a revolution, but what happened? They all went home and thanked God they were alive to go on another job search tomorrow.

A courageous journalist exposed TB Joshua's condemnable act of bribery and Nigerians condemned the fellow and made shameful, eediotic excuses for the TB Joshua fellow, in a sane country, that man ought to be in jail facing murder and man-slaughter charges, not getting condolences from your president

The problem with Nigeria is it's people, the same people that want to run away and reap where they didn't sow- enjoy the benefits of good governance where the people demanded it, and until you all demand good governance, you'll continue to wallow in your self-pity and run away.

Like Mandela said "the leaders are a reflection of their people"
chai!!! dis gal u v said it all! grin nothing more nothing less

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by actYourDreams: 8:14pm On Sep 27, 2014
Thank you OP for your thoughtful post.

Your post suggests you also once thought of traveling abroad. Or did you want to tell us you didn't apply for the UN offer? Were you just handpicked? If yes, then either someone you know was contributing to corruption in the country (for allowing someone who was never interested in a foreign post to be selected) or your case is just an exceptional one.

Next, traveling abroad or not should be a personal one. Everyone should have the right to decide where she or he wants to live to fulfill her or his passions. If she or he believes her birth country is not a good environment for her or his dreams, that individual has the right to artificially create an enabling environment for herself or himself. Especially when you know that a lifetime is 70 years on average and your birth country is not showing progressive signals.

Another concept I like to comment on is the concept of "making it". You typed "If you cannot make it in Nigeria, you may never make it elsewhere in the world". That may not be true. I agree that Nigeria is a land of opportunities. As you need to climb a tree to see clearly what is at the bottom, you may have to travel abroad for you to see clearly, appreciate fully and explore maximally the opportunities in Nigeria. Look around you in Nigeria, you may see that those making waves have once traveled abroad. Did you think of why?

I would suggest that to travel abroad to gain knowledge and experience that would make one contribute to the Nigerian society in any good way is not a bad idea. To want to travel abroad without a good and moral reason is terrible. And to encourage people to continually live till they die in a society filled with callous, inhumane, selfish and evil religious or political or civilian individuals is criminal.
Sanchez01: Somewhere in June, I declined a United Nations' offer of working as a Journalist/photographer abroad and I became a 'fool' in the eyes of people for not grabbing the opportunity. I have never considered travelling abroad though, and settling there for me is a big NO NO. Okay, maybe I could for my honeymoon, should I get married, that isgrin.

But on a more serious note, I have never fancied travelling abroad, largely because of the way most Nigerians idolize 'porting' to some so-called greener pastures when most of them have little or no sound educational background. I became the topic among some of my friends simply because I turned down a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Call me a bushman with a weird ideology. I believe whoever is capable of making it in Nigeria can do so anywhere in the world. Moreso, I believe I have a fair share to contribute to the growth of Nigeria rather than invest my energy in some other countries.

Few days ago, while I went for a haircut at a salon, my baby sister called to tell me of one of her friends who had sold all his properties to travel abroad, all in a bid to make it big. According to my baby sis, he had planned on going to Spain but failed after the boat he boarded capsized somewhere in Algeria or Morocco.

This was a young man who was good at what he does. I felt bitter at the salon and somehow I kept muttering to myself how a promising young guy as myself would choose to end his own life all in the name of travelling abroad.

Somehow, my words became the basis of a debate between myself and some guys at the salon. Unfortunately, I stood no chance as the odds was six guys to one.

The six who debated with me had one thing in common; they would sacrifice just anything to travel out of the country, even when it is certain that what would greet them over there remains unknown.

They complained of how backward Nigeria is and how other countries are doing fine, even South Africa!

One of them said, he knows he would end up taking care of the old folks and cleaning their poos wouldn't be a bother to him.

It was obvious I lost the debate in the midst of youths who think of nothing but living on the streets of Harlem and London with little or no plans.

Please understand that I'm not saying travelling abroad is bad. But must it be the last resort simply because you are hungry or jobless? Must it be the only idea in one's head when you are hardly educated

I could remember asking one of the guys at the salon a particular question; 'you claim the country is bad, if we all run abroad, who will fix Nigeria for us?' His response was quite shocking and unbelievable; 'see, Mr Nigeria, I don't care. My own be say make I just comot, no look back again. To sleep gutter for yankee better pass our own gutter.' I didn't find it funny at all. I thought about his statement after leaving the salon and it was obvious that most Nigerian youths would gladly jump at the thought of travelling abroad when they have no skills or talents to sustain themselves.

If we all think of leaving the remains of Nigeria behind just because she is bad, question is; who will repair what is left of her

Most countries all over the world will have Nigerians to thank for their growth and economy. Yet, ours still stay the way it is. It is high time we understood that life itself is not a unicorn on a rainbow. If you cannot make it in Nigeria, you may never make it elsewhere in the world.

10 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by emzeelee: 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2014
Op. U are gud . What must of the youth forget is dat outside there is not as easy as they think. Over there u cannot stay in front of ur compound and "FRY AKARA" cos u wud be taxed heavily for it buh here in naija u can do anytin u like and atleast make an earns meet.

#iLOVEnaija

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
Silkmoth33:
Its better to b a liability there where hope still dey say dem go turn u to asset.
Dan to remain here and die unremembered.

That is a very wrong mentality bro,
having spent some times in the states, i will say nigeria is a very flexible country with lots of untapped potentials.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by nony0631: 8:20pm On Sep 27, 2014
I guess you are very much in nigeria when some youth lost their lives in the name of writing immigration exam. I want to believe you are in nigeria when about millions all over nigeria trooped out in mass to write that exam. Pls I don't want to insult you but if don't no what to post here, better shut the fuckup

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by actYourDreams: 8:20pm On Sep 27, 2014
No one asks how the OP got her or his so-called offer. Did she or he just get the offer from the blue moon? Or she or he actually applied? If it was the former case, then OP is contributing to the corruption in the land or OP is not just telling us the full story. If it was the latter case, then OP once had the thought of traveling and he or she would not just tell us why she or he declined the "offer".
pansophist: @OP
Count yourself lucky to be in a position that rejecting a job offer from UN (which will be an escape route outta naija, dreams of the millions) means nothing to you.

My elder brother's friend lost his mum to a little sickness that would have been cured if she was in a good environment even Ghana. She lost her life because there was no electricity with a stupid escuse that the Generator is not working. Put yourself in his shoes and tell me if you wont wish naija was better.

Probably you havent experienced the bitter scourge that most Nigerians experience. Judging life from the yardstick of money only is very flawed and idiotic. How do you enjoy life without electiricty? okay lets assume you have money to buy generator, do you enjoy the noise and the deadly smoke it generates? do you enjoy the fact that your neighbour sleeps in the dark and his child is at risk of motor accident when they go to school alone every morning? do you enjoy the fact that you have to apply for visa everytime you want to travel out for a genuine reason? can you rely on the emergency response of the health officials if you have a minor accident? do you trust the police? do you enjoy the traffic and the litters on the streets? probably you havent experienced life abroad, you wont be saying all this.

As for people looking down on you simply because you reject an UN offer, how are their circumstance? that can be an escapism out of poverty and a direct upliftment to their offspring and family. Migration has also been a core characteristics of the human nature, if anyone choose to migrate, its their choice and their life.

Once again, be happy you got it all good.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by dober(m): 8:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
Why wouldn't they wanna travel?
To get admission na war, to graduate na something else, to get job na spiritual something. Average standard of living: very poor.
In my own opinion, this country is messed-up for the common man..
You only have something to contribute to our nation, Nigeria when you have the resources to do so. Otherwise, your ideas may die with you. Nigerian cemeteries are the richest, we get a whole lot of people die with their ideas everyday just because of Lack of opportunities.
I rest my case.

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bebe2(f): 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
01mcfadden:
Bartender,pls give this man a crate of gulder.
You said my mind!
#Jamming hands together for you!

Hahaha ,
I beg make am white wine.
I be woman shocked

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by cooltony09: 8:24pm On Sep 27, 2014
Wa de se ori ire oo with this your comment..someone will just sit down after finishing a plate of rice and will think all is well with the nation.The way people abroad are treated anytime they come back home is enough reason to port by force..Bro Nigeria don't judge another person's action to port based on your own opinion..I'm sure if seun was in the USA,he'd be a rival to Zuckerberg,if not better than that
justwise:

Its interesting that in a country of about 150 million people you managed to count just few who made it legitimately without going abroad. How about the rest?

6 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by jamillion: 8:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
Av u made some findings abt d name mentioned? Do u think dey come frm a wretched backround like most nigerians, incase u dnt know in dis country only d influence once make it ....
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 27, 2014
op i know your type.
say whatever you like to make yourself feel better.

6 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bebe2(f): 8:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
I used this medium to pray and wish all aspiring migrants well. May God grant u ur heart desire.

N wen u enter, ur priority shud be getting legalised .

Once u get ur papers ur problems are half solved.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by fr3do(m): 8:29pm On Sep 27, 2014
Emotional but destructive comments on the first page, with the way majority of our people reason, will we ever escape from this vicious circle?

There is too much poverty?
Invest in agriculture.
reduce the way you buy imported goods.
Produce something and sell.
patronize local goods.
Try as much as possible to be involved in a microcredit scheme (communities should set up such schemes).
Frown on the little corruption around you albeit you gain or lose from it.
Love your country.

Imagine if all the money that is spent on cars, phones, electronics, clothes and other imported consumer goods are circulated amongst Nigerians.

I weep when I hear people are hungry, can't they farm?!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by 01mcfadden(m): 8:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
bebe2:

Hahaha ,
I beg make am white wine.
I be woman shocked
oh!
Ayam sorry ma'am.
Oya order whatever you want....the bill is on me!

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ISpiksDaTroof: 8:34pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sanchez01:

Few days ago, while I went for a haircut at a salon, my baby sister called to tell me of one of her friends who had sold all his properties to travel abroad, all in a bid to make it big. According to my baby sis, he had planned on going to Spain but failed after the boat he boarded capsized somewhere in Algeria or Morocco.

So a man with a lot of Properties---instead of using it as proof of ties to his country at the Embassy then traveling respectably---- sold it all and boarded a makeshift boat heading to Europe in a move that could've cost him his life?

Why do I smell major bullshit in this part of your story?

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by thecurriousmind: 8:37pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sanchez01: Not really though. I understand the situation clearly and I might take the job someday though. Thanks.
It is not well placed, to assume poverty as bad/ or evil. Poverty may be a chastisement to enable us learn the lesson of patience and acceptance. I know a lot of people that complained about this pre supposed vice and are dead even dwelling in it. I guess what the essence of living may be, is making choices that makes us happy. Even while been in state of the so- called poverty. We could get happiness no mater where we are located, and at any point in space and time. Be it abroad or naija... grin.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by xp17(m): 8:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
safarigirl: you apparently know nothing if you assume you'll just travel out and a job will be waiting for you no matter how degrading.

I'll have you know that even the citizens of wherever you're travelling to would also be interested in that shiiit cleaning business you were hoping to snag....

Whatever money you'll make there will be taken away from you in the name of tax. Nigerians don't even know how good they have it here. You watch a few American movies and you think going abroad will be awesome. Na when dem ship your dead body come Naija na that time your relatives' eye go clear.

Only a lazy man will be poor in Nigeria, people in this country run businesses and make up to 100,000 naira per week, some per day even, when they've settled all bills, they cart home at least 2 million naira quarterly.

Seun, Linda Ikeji and co didn't make their money abroad. Banky W, tiwa Savage, seyi shay, Don Jazzy had to leave foreign lands to come and make money here. You never ask those oness wey go come back wetin make them return, you wan go.

I wish you adieu and make sure some red-neck racist c?nt doesnkt end you while you're hustling there
your match is baseless, if you wanna match, you do with folks in the same discipline.like,
seun with bill gate,
ikeja with larry page,
banky w with jayz,
t y savage with beyounce,,
Don jazzy with master P.
then you will see how clueless you reasoning is.

starting up a business in nigeria is very difficult, in case you don't know, except you are talking about low risk business with little or close to nothing profit. your so called country careless wether the business fails or not. should you risk a big business and flop, which insurance is gonna restitute you for those loses? in that your country, except you lick the folks in govt assesss , you are more likely to fail 20times than to hey ones in your business.
you are still a kid who knows close to nothing.

FYI, the taxation is in standard and the govt tries to close the gap between the rich and the poor. personally, I'm highly taxed, that is because I'm single and I make above the poverty level. meanwhile, some families get back all their taxes at the end of the year, either because of the family size or low income earners, and some are even topped up by the govt.

isn't it nice when you turn 62, you start receiving social security benefit ? those are from the taxes you paid whilst working, so taxes isn't a lose case.

isn't it superb to have a govt that will Care for you, if you have some kinda disabilities?

see, sometime ago, I was putting in some gas in my car, mistakenly, I had some gas splashed in my eyes, as i was struggling, some folks held my hands into the mall .about 5mins later when I opened my eyes, behold the medical emergency team had been there since taking care of me. on my mind , when these people take come self?

Nigeria is very sick, personally, I don't think I'd last 6 months there without being rushed to the hospital. I hate unkempt environment. I hate to hear senseless comparison.

black monkey pain pass red neck (@safarigirl)

@ op, good luck for turning down the offer. I assume the likes of your father could be the reason people are moving outta the country.

21 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by fr3do(m): 8:39pm On Sep 27, 2014
alaladakosta:

Bro, talk true make them help u. Drop your pride man. From your post all I can see is a desperate boy. Condemning what is better than yours

This is not pride but dignity.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 27, 2014
safarigirl:
Seun, Linda Ikeji and co didn't make their money abroad. Banky W, tiwa Savage, seyi shay, Don Jazzy had to leave foreign lands to come and make money here. You never ask those oness wey go come back wetin make them return, you wan go.

I wish you adieu and make sure some red-neck racist c?nt doesnkt end you while you're hustling there
i never thought of replying but your comment forced me to.Do u know the kind of hell we face in this country...What do u call a situation where a boy who is fatherless struggled to make distinction in Civil Engineering,in his first year in the University,he was called to come and write a scholarship exam;on getting there,he and his colleagues were told that they are not eligible to write the exam that year.He was given #500 to travel back to where he is schooling(the transport is #6,000 to and fro) few months later they went on 6months A.S.U.U strike.If u were in his shoe wont u leave this country at any slight opportunity? *sobs*

10 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by lymelyte(m): 8:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
Nigeria don tumble grin. Ladies and gentle men, if you by any chance have any means to travel out of this country,please and I repeat PLEASE do not hesitate.
A country where humans are treated like animal is not worth dying for.

I have never seen such a lawless nation as nigeria. The laws were created for everyone but you see and find out that a lot of people are above the law. It is really pitiful indeed.

9 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chinkichun: 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2014
An0nimus: The grass is always greener on the other side.smiley

False.
The grass is greener where you water it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ghananotnaija(m): 8:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
chinkichun:

False.
The grass is greener where you water it.

Amen brutha!
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
A family friend called me yesterday to seek my advice.
Something about moving to Nigeria to change Nigeria's political system.
Mind you, the girl was born and raised in America.

My point, when we don't get both perspective, our decisions/judgments are often biased.

Anybody that wants out of Nigeria, go for it. Come as a student if need be and you're never too old to go to school.
Do what you must to escape that jungle.

7 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by fr3do(m): 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2014
justwise: [b]

What is wrong with traveling abroad to get that skill and stay there to live and work? Why should it bother you when people decided on their own, with their money and resource to travel abroad for better life?

No one will arrest anyone for not being patriotic.
But think, the place you are running to is another man's country.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by r33d(m): 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2014
bebe2:

even without degree,

just be able to read and write.

u go still see ur level work.

there is a standard of living, if ur job doesnt earn u dat, the govt will top it up.

I respect ur opinion, madam.
Nigerian Government is so far apart from its citizens.
Maybe, if they could listen to their plight.
These negativity will all change

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

How Do I Apply For Philippines Visa / Can This Happen At Nigerian Embassies? / 32-yr-old Man Who Pretends To Be 81 Nabbed While Trying To Get Into US (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.