Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,271 members, 7,818,929 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (19633 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by coolviv: 3:14pm On Sep 27, 2014
50calibre:

You're bleating like a sheep!!

After saying all these nonsense, you're going to wait for a man to come and marry you, if no one comes, you remain single

And when a man comes to marry you, you'd abandon everything & follow him, you'd drop your name & adopt his, you'd become his possession and when the time comes, you'd spread your legs wide for him, 9 months later, you pop out little humans who will bear his name.

Looool seems like men & women are not so equal, are they?

Hmmm, and after saying all these 'sense', you will still go and look for a woman to marry so that society does not call you gay or impotent.

And after you marry, you pray that she gets pregnant so that you won't be called infertile and can have children who will bear your name and increase your worth among your peers.

Your wife bears your name but can always leave and bear another man's name, the children bear your name but may not be yours and if they are can always decide to change their name when grown: daughters will, sons might.

Loooool, seems to me that society equalizes us all..

4 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 27, 2014
Big ups to the guys who support feminism because they are not in any way intimidated by women. It shows how educated and well bred you are. When you see real men who have high regard for their mothers and sisters,you'll just know.

respect.

4 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Stillfire: 6:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: @carefreewannabe ............ I thank you for acknowledging that men are NATURALLY more violent than women, thereby proving my point that since men are more violent than women, women have to be NATURALLY submissive to balance the equation(more reason why Bible wants us to love our women in order that they may not feel bad about their natural disposition.)
I also want to thank you that since you acknowledge that we are more violent(we have higher testosterone) , it is also logically right to say WE ARE NOT EQUAL. ThAnKs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Violence is a trait that reduces humans to the basis of animals. Since women possess the ability of restraint and self control, and are not easily given to violence but would rather dialogue (women possess advanced communication pattern), this puts women at a higher status of all living beings in the universe. Violence is a beastly character for lower animals, otherwise lions would rule the world.

5 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: @carefreewannabe ............ I thank you for acknowledging that men are NATURALLY more violent than women, thereby proving my point that since men are more violent than women, women have to be NATURALLY submissive to balance the equation(more reason why Bible wants us to love our women in order that they may not feel bad about their natural disposition.)
I also want to thank you that since you acknowledge that we are more violent(we have higher testosterone) , it is also logically right to say WE ARE NOT EQUAL. ThAnKs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Where in my post did I say that I agree with you? grin
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by okotv(m): 6:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Where in my post did I say that I agree with you? grin

chai
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by okotv(m): 7:00pm On Sep 27, 2014
Stillfire:

Violence is a trait that reduces humans to the basis of animals. Since women possess the ability of restraint and self control, and are not easily given to violence but would rather dialogue (women possess advanced communication pattern), this puts women at a higher status of all living beings in the universe. Violence is a beastly character for lower animals, otherwise lions would rule the world.
who is dragging position with women
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 7:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
Stillfire:

You are right but apart from being violent, we posess greater intelligence, that is why we are above women. I also in my former post wrote that women are needed in minute quantity to balance the equation. Who told you violence and aggressiveness doesn't have its good part? Its just that the disadvantages overshadow the good part. Have you heard of Katherine the great, she also initiated war. Women also have testosterone(some as much as male) and can initiate war.
Differences between male and female
Aristotle believed that nature ordained not only physical differences between male and female but mental differences as well. By comparison to man, he argued, woman is "more mischievous, less simple, more impulsive ... more compassionate[,] ... more easily moved to tears[,] ... more jealous, more querulous, more apt to scold and to strike[,] ... more prone to despondency and less hopeful[,] ... more void of shame or self-respect, more false of speech, more deceptive, of more retentive memory [and] ... also more wakeful; more shrinking [and] more difficult to rouse to action" (History of Animals, 608b. 1-14). Moreover, in accord with his society's custom of allowing girls and women to eat only half as much as boys and men, he added that woman "requires a smaller quantity of nutriment" (History of Animals, 608b. 14) [ 2 ]Aristotle wrote extensively on his views of the nature of semen. His views on how a child's sex is decided have since been abandoned. [ 3 ]
He wrote that only fair-skinned women, not darker-skinned women, had a sexual discharge and climaxed. He also believed this discharge could be increased by eating of pungent foods. Aristotle thought a woman's sexual discharge was akin to that of an infertile or amputated male's. [ 4 ] [ 5 ]He concluded that both sexes contributed to the material of generation, but that the female's contribution was in her discharge (as in a male's) rather than within the ovary. [ 4 ]
His idea of procreation was an active, ensouling masculine element bringing life to a passive female element. [ 6 ]
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: You are right but apart from being violent, we posess greater intelligence, that is why we are above women. I also in my former post wrote that women are needed in minute quantity to balance the equation. Who told you violence and aggressiveness doesn't have its good part? Its just that the disadvantages overshadow the good part. Have you heard of Katherine the great, she also initiated war. Women also have testosterone(some as much as male) and can initiate war.
Differences between male and female
Aristotle believed that nature ordained not only physical differences between male and female but mental differences as well. By comparison to man, he argued, woman is "more mischievous, less simple, more impulsive ... more compassionate[,] ... more easily moved to tears[,] ... more jealous, more querulous, more apt to scold and to strike[,] ... more prone to despondency and less hopeful[,] ... more void of shame or self-respect, more false of speech, more deceptive, of more retentive memory [and] ... also more wakeful; more shrinking [and] more difficult to rouse to action" (History of Animals, 608b. 1-14). Moreover, in accord with his society's custom of allowing girls and women to eat only half as much as boys and men, he added that woman "requires a smaller quantity of nutriment" (History of Animals, 608b. 14) [ 2 ]Aristotle wrote extensively on his views of the nature of semen. His views on how a child's sex is decided have since been abandoned. [ 3 ]
He wrote that only fair-skinned women, not darker-skinned women, had a sexual discharge and climaxed. He also believed this discharge could be increased by eating of pungent foods. Aristotle thought a woman's sexual discharge was akin to that of an infertile or amputated male's. [ 4 ] [ 5 ]He concluded that both sexes contributed to the material of generation, but that the female's contribution was in her discharge (as in a male's) rather than within the ovary. [ 4 ]
His idea of procreation was an active, ensouling masculine element bringing life to a passive female element. [ 6 ]

And you are actually quoting this nonsense you found on wikipedia? grin grin grin
And you think it makes you look intelligent? It gives you authority?

The bold is the funniest part.

Aristoteles also argued that some people were naturally slaves. For him, you would also be a slave, a barbarian. grin

And you came here to "bully" or "flush out" who with this nonsense? grin grin grin

It can be at best considered cheap entertainment.

Try harder.

4 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 8:37pm On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

And you are actually quoting this nonsense you found on wikipedia? grin grin grin
And you think it makes you look intelligent? It gives you authority?

The bold is the funniest part.

Aristoteles also argued that some people were naturally slaves. For him, you would also be a slave, a barbarian. grin

And you came here to "bully" or "flush out" who with this nonsense? grin grin grin

It can be at best considered cheap entertainment.

Try harder.
Who told you I agree with everything he wrote. There are some undeniable points you can't deny. I'm sure you agree with the rest except the bolded tongue . How does black and women correlate(both are inferior) isn't it. Unlike feminists, I can't deny that blacks have not done enough to stand toe to toe with whites. You can't blackmail me. cheesy http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/famq/is-this-hate-speech/ This link got me cracking. Its so true, a must read!!! cheesy
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: Who told you I agree with everything he wrote.

Why do you quote everything then? grin

There are some undeniable points you can't deny. I'm sure you agree with the rest except the bolded tongue

You must be out of your mind now.

. How does black and women correlate(both are inferior) isn't it.

Do you yourself actually understand the nonsense you are writing? grin grin grin

Unlike feminists, I can't deny that blacks have not done enough to stand toe to toe with whites. You can't blackmail me. cheesy http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/famq/is-this-hate-speech/ This link got me cracking. Its so true, a must read!!! cheesy

Do you really think, I would click on any of your links?
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 9:53pm On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Why do you quote everything then? grin

You must be out of your mind now.

Do you yourself actually understand the nonsense you are writing? grin grin grin

Do you really think, I would click on any of your links?

MEN ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN. AS SIMPLE AS A,B,C. STOP MAKING MOUNTAINS OUT OF MOLE HILLS AND ISSUES WHERE NONE EXIST(I CAN NEVER BE INTIMIDATED BY ANY WOMAN: I DO MY THING, YOU DO YOUR THING). AS FOR THE LINK, IT DESCRIBES HOW SHITTY AND HOPELESS WOMEN CAN BE.
"Poor women: so confused and so grossly incompetent. I suppose we should mourn for them as well".......Dick Masterson sad
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: MEN ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN. AS SIMPLE AS A,B,C. STOP MAKING MOUNTAINS OUT OF MOLE HILLS AND ISSUES WHERE NONE EXIST(I CAN NEVER BE INTIMIDATED BY ANY WOMAN: I DO MY THING, YOU DO YOUR THING). AS FOR THE LINK, IT DESCRIBES HOW SHITTY AND HOPELESS WOMEN CAN BE.
"Poor women: so confused and so grossly incompetent. I suppose we should mourn for them as well".......Dick Masterson sad

Even IF men were better than women, you would be the exception. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 10:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
LordReed:

Women are very famous for playing the victim even were no glass ceilings exist. I remember an incident, I was turning into an intersection on a two lane road and a woman was approaching on the right lane while I turned into the left. She starts horning and pulls up to me screaming how I cut her off because she's a woman. I looked at her amazed at not only the ignorance of driving rules but the classic "o spare me I'm a woman" ploy. It is repeated over and over again in this so called cry for civil rights and political leadership for women. You have the vote and opportunity to be voted for yet men have to roll over and play dead for you to take part in what is your right already? Why don't you go out and show that you are capable instead of playing the victim card? Have you contested for office and had your candidacy rejected based on sex? Have you proved yourself capable at work and had your career advance stalled because you are a woman? This is not what I see in the reality around me. In my workplace the women moan about how they are not given assignments but give them one and they start looking for excuses not to be diligent so who's fault will it be when they get passed up for bigger things? You don't want to get your hands dirty but you want to be seen as capable, no it doesn't work that way.

What you have said above has little to do with real issues such as political and social liberation. Who cares where you drive! And you mock/insult women by saying ALL women are not diligent.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 10:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: There is simply no way I can be more intelligent than every woman shocked shocked (Did you read that link at all? ). I know I can't win an arguement with a woman (due to emotion beclouding sense of reasoning (no common sense)), but I will surely argue to logical conclusion. sad
More daft assumptions and stereotypes.

4 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by LordReed(m): 9:13am On Sep 28, 2014
Kay17:

What you have said above has little to do with real issues such as political and social liberation. Who cares where you drive! And you mock/insult women by saying ALL women are not diligent.

I am showing you a prime example of how women try to play the victim card even where it is not evident they victims in any way or manner. How did you construe it to mean all women are not diligent? Is that what I wrote? See you doing the very thing I am talking about? Playing the "poor us women we've been insulted" card. All this emotional blackmail won't get very far, the gimmick is old and won't produce the kind of quality leadership you think women can display.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 9:28am On Sep 28, 2014
Kay17:

You write like someone suffering from psychotic disorders. cheesy
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 9:31am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

I am showing you a prime example of how women try to play the victim card even where it is not evident they victims in any way or manner. How did you construe it to mean all women are not diligent? Is that what I wrote? See you doing the very thing I am talking about? Playing the "poor us women we've been insulted" card. All this emotional blackmail won't get very far, the gimmick is old and won't produce the kind of quality leadership you think women can display.
Don't mind his insolence, he's just seeking for likes and followers from 'victims'.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 9:47am On Sep 28, 2014
I AM A VICTIM cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:58am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

LordReed: Women moan about how they are not given assignments but give them one and they start looking for excuses not to be diligent so who's fault will it be when they get passed up for bigger things? You don't want to get your hands dirty but you want to be seen as capable, no it doesn't work that way

So that was where you made the insult. Nonetheless, you seem top admit women are at a disadvantage in society because they deserve it due to their fragile and non diligent attitude, right?

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by LordReed(m): 10:15am On Sep 28, 2014
Kay17:

So that was where you made the insult. Nonetheless, you seem top admit women are at a disadvantage in society because they deserve it due to their fragile and non diligent attitude, right?

It is not an insult because that is reality. Will you give assignments to subordinates who are capable or to those who will not be diligent? Are you insulting a subordinate by not giving him/her assignments you know he/she will not carry out?

In my particular situation it is well pronounced because the women outnumber the men in my organisation by a factor of nearly 3 to 1 but when you want to count the effective workers the men suddenly leap up the statistics. I am not saying women everywhere are lazy, don't get it twisted. I am saying that when it comes to proving women are capable, you women do yourselves in by not utilising the opportunities at your disposal. Using my organisation as an example again, with women outnumbering men I thought I was going to be wowed by an organisation that has the balance in favour of women but no wow-factor is shown by the dominance of women in number.

EDIT: My point here is this. It is not until women are made leaders before they can show they are capable. Given the chance to grow into leadership positions women need to demonstrate that they are capable of doing the work. Men will not roll over and play dead simply because you clamour for leadership or play the "we are disadvantaged card".
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Brush1: 4:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
Opiosko: Honestly i don't see any new idea here. Feminism should not be a man hating revenge mission...we have been shouting that since... No sex is greater or better than the other one but we have our natural predefined roles for both sex. Feminism is confused idea for confused people.

Did you say naturally predefined roles?? a huge no. These were roles constructed and made operational by the society and that in any sense doesn't come across as natural. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Emmaomotob(m): 5:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
Brush1:

Did you say naturally predefined roles?? a huge no. These were roles constructed and made operational by the society and that in any sense doesn't come across as natural. Thanks.
Is it the society that says men should work in quarry? Is it the society that says men should mostly defend the country and still provide food and protection for their RIB BONE and children during war? Is it the society that says women should be emotional, which naturally enables them to care for their offspring and husband? Is it the society that says men should use their superior strength and intellect to fend for his family? Is it the society that eqiped men with high level of testosterone in order to face the daily aggression of life?Is it society that says women should play shit in football and have considerable poorer outcome in things they and their males compete in? Is it society that says men should have soft spot for women? Come off it! Its all the beautiful works of nature. No wonder the west is loosing their morals, since there are working against the immovable rocks of nature, which guarantees joy to male and his female. Nature, like God, don't force you, it is when you move against them that you know the consequences. Pride(positive) is to man, submissiveness is to woman.
If it were not so in animals, you might have been right. smiley

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 6:48pm On Oct 05, 2014
LordReed:

It is not an insult because that is reality. Will you give assignments to subordinates who are capable or to those who will not be diligent? Are you insulting a subordinate by not giving him/her assignments you know he/she will not carry out?

In my particular situation it is well pronounced because the women outnumber the men in my organisation by a factor of nearly 3 to 1 but when you want to count the effective workers the men suddenly leap up the statistics. I am not saying women everywhere are lazy, don't get it twisted. I am saying that when it comes to proving women are capable, you women do yourselves in by not utilising the opportunities at your disposal. Using my organisation as an example again, with women outnumbering men I thought I was going to be wowed by an organisation that has the balance in favour of women but no wow-factor is shown by the dominance of women in number.

EDIT: My point here is this. It is not until women are made leaders before they can show they are capable. Given the chance to grow into leadership positions women need to demonstrate that they are capable of doing the work. Men will not roll over and play dead simply because you clamour for leadership or play the "we are disadvantaged card".

I didn't see this post, but fortunately I have stumbled on it. I'm struggling very hard to understand the goal of this post because you carefully mentioned that your experience is not the general case. Hence it is useless for the purposes of this discussion. Women are handicapped by gender, just like slaves are economically handicapped. Laws and customs constitute the pillars for this victimisation, not biological traits. It is not a woman's anatomy that deprives her from 'leading' men into prayers, nor depriving her from driving, nor having a high power career at the expense of family life, nor owning properties nor voting nor stereotypes you canvass etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 6:59pm On Oct 05, 2014
Emmaomotob:
Is it the society that says men should work in quarry? Is it the society that says men should mostly defend the country and still provide food and protection for their RIB BONE and children during war? Is it the society that says women should be emotional, which naturally enables them to care for their offspring and husband? Is it the society that says men should use their superior strength and intellect to fend for his family? Is it the society that eqiped men with high level of testosterone in order to face the daily aggression of life?Is it society that says women should play shit in football and have considerable poorer outcome in things they and their males compete in? Is it society that says men should have soft spot for women? Come off it! Its all the beautiful works of nature. No wonder the west is loosing their morals, since there are working against the immovable rocks of nature, which guarantees joy to male and his female. Nature, like God, don't force you, it is when you move against them that you know the consequences. Pride(positive) is to man, submissiveness is to woman.
If it were not so in animals, you might have been right. smiley

I will list out each faulty assumption you make;

1. Women are not rational

2. Women can not fend for their families

3. Women are intellectually inferior to men

4. Women are physically weak

5. Women cannot play football

6. Testosterone makes one human being more superior than others

7. Women do not have a soft spot for men

All these assumptions (rickety) form the foundation of a moral system which you glorify and sadly lament its collapse. It has to collapse because it has no bearing with reality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by LordReed(m): 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2014
Kay17:

I didn't see this post, but fortunately I have stumbled on it. I'm struggling very hard to understand the goal of this post because you carefully mentioned that your experience is not the general case. Hence it is useless for the purposes of this discussion. Women are handicapped by gender, just like slaves are economically handicapped. Laws and customs constitute the pillars for this victimisation, not biological traits. It is not a woman's anatomy that deprives her from 'leading' men into prayers, nor depriving her from driving, nor having a high power career at the expense of family life, nor owning properties nor voting nor stereotypes you canvass etc

Understand my point. Women need to stop feeling like victims where they have opportunities to make a difference. In Nigeria there is no law against women running. for political office, there is no workplace that pays women less than men for the same job. If you are going keep going on about how women are degraded when you have no barrier when are you going to show you can do it? Men will not stop being men in order for you to become the shining stars you are, it is your work that will stand you out.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2014
LordReed:

Understand my point. Women need to stop feeling like victims where they have opportunities to make a difference. In Nigeria there is no law against women running. for political office, there is no workplace that pays women less than men for the same job. If you are going keep going on about how women are degraded when you have no barrier when are you going to show you can do it? Men will not stop being men in order for you to become the shining stars you are, it is your work that will stand you out.

As I said earlier there are still barriers. Our customs relegate women to a secondary role to men. Women are taught and made to believe men are superior to them through our traditional institutions namely family.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by LordReed(m): 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
Kay17:

As I said earlier there are still barriers. Our customs relegate women to a secondary role to men. Women are taught and made to believe men are superior to them through our traditional institutions namely family.

You will agree with me that some of these customs are loosing ground. Based on that more and more women are seeing that their roles as mothers and wives need not limit their abilities to succeed. What I want to see more of is women leaving this "oh pity us we are women" when it comes to the doing. You can't have that attitude and expect men to take you seriously.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:38pm On Oct 06, 2014
LordReed:

You will agree with me that some of these customs are loosing ground. Based on that more and more women are seeing that their roles as mothers and wives need not limit their abilities to succeed. What I want to see more of is women leaving this "oh pity us we are women" when it comes to the doing. You can't have that attitude and expect men to take you seriously.

As long as that is not a general trait in women, I think that point becomes moot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. / Nigerian Ghost Stories (pressing Someones Neck At Night) / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.