Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,816 members, 7,813,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (19620 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
okotv: am watching...remember

How could I forget? cheesy

Till the end of September.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 9:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
carefreewannabe:

@bold

Oh, yes. I am very happy, too. cheesy
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by okotv(m): 9:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
cococandy: I don't want to go into this argument.
If you want to know the origin of feminism,it started from very long ago when women were greatly marginalized. So a movement for equal rights for women as accorded to men started and this movement is what is known today as feminism.
True women are still marignalized in some parts of the world like ours wink here.

I think it is ignorant to try to dissociate feminism from equal rights.
Y'all should stop the minsinformation and Nigerian/African men should stop crying more than the men who live in the saner climes where feminism is widely recognized.

Sometimes I wonder why an African based man tears his cloths over feminism when the stuff hardly even affects him.
What would they do if they find themselves in the UK or US? Hang themselves undecided

And dude? Stop quoting me and focus on how to make your country better. Feminism isn't your problem.
You've got bigger problems
final quote on this issue...stop been deceived cause if feminism is practised in your so called saner climes doesn't make it all right...what we need in our country is good leadership and I want you to contest or stop complaining

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by okotv(m): 9:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
carefreewannabe:

How could I forget? cheesy

Till the end of September.
but you failed yesterday when you brought Nigeria down
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by cococandy(f): 9:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
You're the person I see complaining and crying here. Not me. wink
Buzz me if you need scented handkerchief to help your plight.
Goodnight.
okotv: final quote on this issue...stop been deceived cause if feminism is practised in your so called saner climes doesn't make it all right...what we need in our country is good leadership and I want you to contest or stop complaining

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by okotv(m): 9:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
cococandy: You're the person I see complaining and crying here. Not me. wink
Buzz me if you need scented handkerchief to help your plight.
Goodnight.
goodnight and greet oga for me ooo

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
emmyrichie: I think feminists are heartbroken cowards who are very much afraid of going through the previous bad experience they once had.

That's if you approach the century old topic with a frog perspective and a narrow mind. It is not just about male-female relationship, but the status and identity of a woman.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:38pm On Sep 25, 2014
Tallesty1: I wanted to pass when I saw the heading of this post because I hate Feminism but on a second thought I decided to give reading it a shot. This Emma Watson is making sense in a way but using feminism instead of "Equal Rights Movement" Is Where she got it wrong.

This two bodies claim to fight for thesame thing but they are not thesame.

The Equal Rights Movements wanted things such as the right to vote and more equality in the work force, a law against domestic violence, maternity leave, equal pay and a law agains sexual harassment and sexual violence.

Feminism is a movement started by men hating, lazy, angry and demonic women.(sorry I'm loose with words sometimes). Feminism arose from the extreme fustrations of women who wanted additional and unnecessary freedoms like abortion, etc.

Ever wondered why Woman A's feminism is not always Woman B's feminism?? That is because they confuse equal right movement with feminism.

I hate feminism because it has failed to acknowledgment that there is any inequality that oppresses men, and they are hell bent on keeping this oppression.

I hate feminism because they tend to want equality only when it benefits them. Their money is their money but their husbands money is for the two of them yet they claim equality. To hit a woman is wrong but to hit a man is self defense.

I hate feminism because they actively seek to overthrow any vestige of male dominance in society, to the point of opposing the biblical roles of husbands and wives, defending abortionon demand, and promoting lesbianism.

I hate feminism because it is based in arrogance, and it is the opposite of the call to the born-again believer to be a servant.

I hate feminsim because they are breaking up the traditional role of the woman in a family and society. It also causes confusion among men and women as to where they stand in the family that's why you hear people say my husband is the head and I'm the neck. I could go on and on but lemme stop here.

To The Christian Feminist. Please think twice. Feminism is from the pit of hell. God outlines the roles of women and men as different but equally as important. He created us different physically, emotionally. Men and women can never be equal. You can say 2 + 2 = 5 if you want to, but the truth is intolerant... 2 + 2 will always equal 4. Don't allow end time teachers to tell you otherwise.

While equal right movement is fighting for all of us, Feminist is attacking men, marriage and promoting lesbianism and being single.

The tussle for power in marriage is completely unnecessary. And before you start thinking that Tallesty likes to oppress women, lemme clear you. NO he doesn't. Tallesty believes in equality as much as anyone, but WITHIN the teachings of the Word of God.

It is sin in the heart that causes inequality. It is sin that causes men to treat women in ways that are meant to demean or objectify them. And it is sin that seeks counterfeit solutions to counteract these inequalities. The only true cure for inequality is obedience to God’s Word. If men and women would walk in obedience to God’s Word then their won't be a need to for feminism or equal right movement.

This is a red herring argument. You create a fictitious division within feminism and lavish it with praises (Equal Rights Movement). At the end of the day, one would discover that the so called Equal Rights Movement proponents were actually feminists. The best step is to address the real grievances which a persistent social injustice on women.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
Opiosko: Honestly i don't see any new idea here. Feminism should not be a man hating revenge mission...we have been shouting that since... No sex is greater or better than the other one but we have our natural predefined roles for both sex. Feminism is confused idea for confused people.

How do these roles look like? who writes them out?

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:47pm On Sep 25, 2014
curiouslad: My only gripe with feminism is that some feminazis think it is a holy jihad against the male gender. undecided

A man is no more equal to a Female any more than a Apple is equal to an Orange.

Equal rights? Yes.
Equality? NO.

You leave a lot unsaid. What is the difference between equal rights and equality. Isn't equality the basis for equal rights ?? Please educate us further.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:50pm On Sep 25, 2014
QAPHAYNE: If this is her definition of feminism then its the same as human rights. If its the same why now go under a different name? Let's stop deceiving ourselves, feminism is a movement of man haters who feel its time men where made to pay for there dominance since time. And nigerian ladies will gladly wip out the feminism card when its time to choose between career and family, but when its time to pay for dinner they submit to male leadership. Every democratic constitution has paved way for equal rights there is no need for feminism. Feminism has and is destroying marriages, most of the proponents of this movements are either women from dysfunctional homes where male leadership lacking, sexually and serially abused and feel men anywhere is a threat to women every where. Am not against equality, am against deception. God bless the african woman.

But you want the man above the woman in the home as the smallest social unit right? Isn't it a contradiction of principles to have a woman as a president above all the men in their homes and her man in her home??

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 9:54pm On Sep 25, 2014
Saltlight: All of you who are seeing and fighting against the many wrongs in the world today may be doing it the wrong way.

In the case of unequal rights for the female gender or gender abuse, you are all seeing the truthfulness of what Jehovah God explained to Eve that their disobedient course would lead to.
Because of our first parents disobedience(choosing to guide themselves outside of God) men and women from then on have been experiencing many societal ill. Concerning the case of unequal rights God explained to Eve: "...and your longing will be for your husband, and he will dominate you." (Genesis 3:16 the Bible)

This is not to say that God is approving of it. No. But that is the unavoidable consequence of Adam and Eve's disobedience to Jehovah God.

So in essence, being a part of the UN(which is a human organization) or deploying millions of men and women cannot solve the problems of unequal rights.

What can solve it then? Jesus answers: "You must pray, then, this way: 'Our Father in the heavens,... Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.'" (Matthew 6:9,10. Bible). It is only when God's own government(not human's) comes and take charge of this world affairs that all these problems will completely be eradicated.

To learn more visit http://www.jw.org/en/

The above is a justification.

Which can be used to support genocide and other evils.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
Misogynist2014: Will you shut up! Who the fück do you think you are talking to? He is a man, his words are final, you have to obey. No one cares about what u think. Who has been deluding you that men are same as women, who? God has given us authority, its our moral right to integrate you guys to the world we toiled to build. If you are so crazy about equality, go and preach to ISIS. No matter how much you try to degrade the position of a homemaker, God prefers it to a business worth millions. Go the hell you came from and stop confusing women of value. #loveHomemakers

Let's see where we agree.

1. Most men in the world and in this present decade, like you believe men are not equal to women but superior even with divine authorisation.

2. Most men like you, believe a woman's identity and due to her inferiority, must revolve around the homemaker.

3. Homemaking is a "humble" position/level.

Now because of the above, Feminism is still relevant.

4 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2014
THEN BASED ON HER DEFINITION... HUMANISM IS THE RIGHT WORD NOT FEMINISM... angry angry
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Afrobasic(m): 11:12pm On Sep 25, 2014
Xsolutions: THEN BASED ON HER DEFINITION... HUMANISM IS THE RIGHT WORD NOT FEMINISM... angry angry

Agreed!!... I've come to despise that word #feminism, I see the proponents as man-hating-sadistic aliens angry angry grin
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by pweetyz(f): 12:01am On Sep 26, 2014
Well..i'm in support of emma's speech but the truth is that females can never be equal to the males,because we were created to be under them..and i'll prove this from the bible

in the book of proverbs 31:10-31..it is written that silence and humility should be the virtues that a woman possesses..it states that women are not to have authority over men as Adam was created first and as it was eve who was deceived and who broke Gods law...please read it up for a better understanding
in 1st corinthians 11..here God makes known man's superiority over the woman..he states that a woman reflects the glory of man..and that women where created from men and not men from women..also read up yourself
in 1st peter 3:1..the bible tells us that women are to be submissive to men and that they are also the weaker vessels..also read up

we also see what the bible states in our every day activities..in sports,the lighter javelin,discuss and shot put is given to them..they are also given lighter weights to lift whike working out and the best male in a field of sport is always better than the best female..and hefty activities are also reserved for the male sex

i don't really know much about feminist but i know what they fight for and also want them to know that according to the words of the bible and the nature of females..THERE CAN NEVER BE EQUALITY OF THE SEXES as God has placed the males above the females in every endeavour in life..
this however does not imply that women cannot excel exceedingly in their respective careers..
i am opposed to the unequal pay rate though..because it is injustice which God opposes as everyone should get what they duly deserve..if a woman should work as hard as a man does or even better..why not an equal pay or even higher
the male sex tends to take advantage of the females vulnerable nature which is just so wrong as the bible advises that men treat women with care because of their vulnerabilty
thank you
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kay17: 12:23am On Sep 26, 2014
pweetyz: Well..i'm in support of emma's speech but the truth is that females can never be equal to the males,because we were created to be under them..and i'll prove this from the bible

in the book of proverbs 31:10-31..it is written that silence and humility should be the virtues that a woman possesses..it states that women are not to have authority over men as Adam was created first and as it was eve who was deceived and who broke Gods law...please read it up for a better understanding
in 1st corinthians 11..here God makes known man's superiority over the woman..he states that a woman reflects the glory of man..and that women where created from men and not men from women..also read up yourself
in 1st peter 3:1..the bible tells us that women are to be submissive to men and that they are also the weaker vessels..also read up

we also see what the bible states in our every day activities..in sports,the lighter javelin,discuss and shot put is given to them..they are also given lighter weights to lift whike working out and the best male in a field of sport is always better than the best female..and hefty activities are also reserved for the male sex

i don't really know much about feminist but i know what they fight for and also want them to know that according to the words of the bible and the nature of females..THERE CAN NEVER BE EQUALITY OF THE SEXES as God has placed the males above the females in every endeavour in life..
this however does not imply that women cannot excel exceedingly in their respective careers..
i am opposed to the unequal pay rate though..because it is injustice which God opposes as everyone should get what they duly deserve..if a woman should work as hard as a man does or even better..why not an equal pay or even higher
the male sex tends to take advantage of the females vulnerable nature which is just so wrong as the bible advises that men treat women with care because of their vulnerabilty
thank you

The Bible is probably for stone age women like Eve. No offence.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Stillfire: 12:35am On Sep 26, 2014
pweetyz: Well..i'm in support of emma's speech but the truth is that females can never be equal to the males,because we were created to be under them..and i'll prove this from the bible

thank you

Hehehe, Next time kindly speak for yourself. If you were created to be under a man, that's fine. Just learn how to personalize your speech with the use of I.

And no, Eve was not created to be under a man. It was as a result of sin which led to curses this issue came about. You are actually under a curse. There's no need for the long epistle to curry favor the fact that you as a woman are under a curse. tongue

So if you allude to the man's superiority, does that mean you are inferior? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Misogynist2014(m): 12:40am On Sep 26, 2014
Kay17:

Let's see where we agree.

1. Most men in the world and in this present decade, like you believe men are not equal to women but superior even with divine authorisation.

2. Most men like you, believe a woman's identity and due to her inferiority, must revolve around the homemaker.

3. Homemaking is a "humble" position/level.

Now because of the above, Feminism is still relevant.
Immediately I read your post, I immediately checked your profile, my guess was good. The thoughtless statement came from an atheist. You sounded even more domineering than I ever will. You made the arguement and found the solutions shocked , then why did you quote me? To make me read your "intelligent" post or to show me how brilliant you are.
I asked an atheist one day, if big bang can explain the existence of magic, which I know it can't. If it is then true that magicians like Chris Angels can make mockery of the foundational scientific Laws(which are true but only in the physical and natural realm). Is it then safe to use science without accommodating the spiritual realm in the explanation of our universe? The fööl chickened away from the simple question, so would deluded and proud people like you. You will never learn until it is late.
Yes men are superior to women, yes women are superior to men. Just the way a white cloth can boast of being lighter than black is the same way a black cloth can boast of being darker than white, but both are not equal, neither is one superior to one another, if all conditions are kept constant.
But conditions are not constant in our world. The properties men have are much more needed in our daily activities and that of women are highly regarded in the home. The YORUBA knew these properties and decided to make the best use of it.
They appointed the Iyalode(women leader) in the palace in order to hear the feelings of women, and also made the position of queen highly regarded e.g. A proverb goes thus: There is no honour for a King with no queen. They made sure they completely alienated men from certain works, though they knew they could do it as good as women. E.g. Selling farm produce of their husband, selling of cooked foods, shelling of palm oil e.t.c. They made giving birth to a child look like discovering gold e.t.c. Women traded a lot and amazingly,they were allowed to keep their profit and own property. Any man that räpëd a woman is castrated or if its a stranger, he is banished from the land. If as a couple, you fight one another, your family intercedes and all is brought to calm. In fact, men respected women and women respected themselves.
It is this piece of intellectual idea that has made feminism loose so much attention in SW Nigeria, you can confirm it on television, women call their hubby 'my owner' and instinctively kneel down. Almost all modern Yoruba women don't see anything wrong in this, the worst you can see is that women must put something on table(which is good).
The problem with feminism is that 99.9 % of women are naturally submissive. The reason why feminists are so aggressive and cold is not because of men but because they are trying to use it to cover the submissive part of them(I challenge you to tell me a feminist with an unharming smiling face you see on happy school girls). Chimamanda Adichie is a naturally submissive woman, that is why she can't let go of the idea of changing to her husband's name, because deep inside her, she wants to.
Chat with a feminist on Nairaland, she starts high and all of a sudden, she becomes low and begins to ask you why you had to say something abusive to her(as if looking for consolation or apology), you get to feel a little bit sorry for talking to a woman like that, but you behave like a man and continue like nothing happend.
I know a lot of women are being genuinely oppressed, I feel sorry, but oppression cuts across both genders and everything can be settled under HUMAN RIGHTS, without trying to ignite any gender to being ashamed of their natural behavior. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Kidash(m): 12:43am On Sep 26, 2014
DailyNews: plz are u a Nigerian Forgive me for asking pls. Nigerian women have been holding top positions to date. Nafdac, ministry of petroleum, hr nlng, ambassadors, senators, reps, deputy governors, one time governor, military chiefs, police spokesperson, etc.

Go to most corporate orgs in Lagos and see young ladies holding key positions.

If u study hard and distinguish yourself, my sister u will get to d top in Nigeria irrespective of your gender; in fact u can become the president if u work towards it in Nigeria.

Nigeria no longer descriminate against women!

If a male MD at company A says u must sleep with him to get hired, fire him asap and go to company B, C, D, etc and I assure u that if u are good, u will get good job on merit.

Women have no limitation in Nigeria. In fact as a lady in Nigeria, u stand better chance of making success than a guy. But the problem is our Nigerian sisters want everything free or on pity n consideration that they are female...isn't that cheating? Why not compete with the guys and beat them hands down and be proud than cuttting corners, only to cry fowl later, y
.....quite reasonable...but if you have been current enough you would recall that once upon a time there was once a male minister of women affairs...and i belive where the mentality of been served came in to play during the pre-colonial era when the men get to serve their masters and return back to be served by their wifes..so after such the men took up authorties in the countries political system and women who dared to join were tagged as prostitutes...fron the year 1966-1975..women were never seen in any axise of politics...or were they no females on earth by then?..to me i think the male counterparts were scared of a victorious compitition...women became a little bit recognised in the socitey during Gen. Yakubu gowon regime and that of Murtala mohammed from 1976-1977...and during Obasanjo's regime a 50 persons committe was formed without a single female included...like what the hell who cares about them..they are just care givers and home makers...and if you must still know its only the Jonathan administration that gave women at least 30% in politcs thats why you get to see women in position...and thank God youv'e recorgnised how good they have been..and young man thats because some female stood up and said we want to be seen,heared and given e.g queen Amina of Zazau... Because of your lack of exposesur i belive you dont know that in some parts of Nigeria the female counterparts are not given the right to education because it is belive that a female child cant continue the linage of the family...and presently i belive your sister and mum now opperate a bank account instead of their local asusu thats because the W.I.N(women in nigeria) opined for it...so young man if we can get 30% what then happens to the remaining 20%...? # radical femminist am proud to be#

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by pweetyz(f): 12:47am On Sep 26, 2014
Stillfire:

Hehehe, Next time kindly speak for yourself. If you were created to be under a man, that's fine. Just learn how to personalize your speech with the use of I.

And no, Eve was not created to be under a man. It was as a result of sin which led to curses this issue came about. You are actually under a curse. There's no need for the long epistle to curry favor the fact that you as a woman are under a curse. tongue

So if you allude to the man's superiority, does that mean you are inferior? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
..UHMM..hi..i don't think this calls for the use of ill words okay..you should never call another human cursed especially someone you do not know in any way..it is simply barbaric and uncalled for..i spoke strictly on the bible and quoted the verses so you can go read it yourself..maybe u're not a christian cos if you are then you would know that the bible cannot lie..i disn't personalise it cos it wasn't personalised in the bible

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by elipheleh(m): 12:51am On Sep 26, 2014
babygirlfl: Nice speech. The only problem is that some people will rather give feminism another bad definition to make it look bad.

Being sensitive is not by force. Men are not created with that weak nature. See wahala..!
So feminism seeks to promote women to be strong and encourage men to be sensitive,emotional,and weak?

Make everybody dey in lane o.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by pweetyz(f): 12:55am On Sep 26, 2014
Kay17:

The Bible is probably for stone age women like Eve. No offence.
..None taken..i doubt that though cos it is stated in both the old and new testaments and i don't think the bible fades..
stillfire Eves sin was not the main reason..if you read those bible passages..you'll see that it was mostly the because she was made out of man..
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by kobikwelu(m): 12:57am On Sep 26, 2014
As far as these Feminists display double standards on issues..I will never take them serious.

These misguided lots scream to be treated like men, yet when they are held to the same standards, they cry ("don't you know that she is a woman")...

They want to be treated like men, but look for maternity leave
They want to be treated like men, yet want to be able to leave the office early to take care of their family back home
They believe a woman can be violent towards a man but not really violent "because she is a woman"

You don't have to be a feminist to be a successful, strong and independent woman.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Stillfire: 1:02am On Sep 26, 2014
pweetyz: ..UHMM..hi..i don't think this calls for the use of ill words okay..you should never call another human cursed especially someone you do not know in any way..it is simply barbaric and uncalled for..i spoke strictly on the bible and quoted the verses so you can go read it yourself..maybe u're not a christian cos if you are then you would know that the bible cannot lie..i disn't personalise it cos it wasn't personalised in the bible

Lol, why do you take offense? I'm only reiterating the bible and giving you some background on the original reason every Christian woman should know. As a Christian you should know that the woman was cursed to live in subordination to the man. The Christian woman like yourself exercises the curse that was dealt to her at the garden of Eden. So my dear, if you don't know, now you do. grin

My second question was
Since you allude to the superiority of the man, what does that make you? Is it not inferior?

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Stillfire: 1:07am On Sep 26, 2014
pweetyz: ..None taken..i doubt that though cos it is stated in both the old and new testaments and i don't think the bible fades..
stillfire Eves sin was not the main reason..if you read those bible passages..you'll see that it was mostly the because she was made out of man..

This was Eve's curses from God.

To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

For God to have uttered these words as curses to the woman, it means his original plan was not for the husband to rule over the woman. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Emmalot121(m): 1:09am On Sep 26, 2014
Misogynist2014: Immediately I read your post, I immediately checked your profile, my guess was good. The thoughtless statement came from an atheist. You sounded even more domineering than I ever will. You made the arguement and found the solutions shocked , then why did you quote me? To make me read your "intelligent" post or to show me how brilliant you are.
I asked an atheist one day, if big bang can explain the existence of magic, which I know it can't. If it is then true that magicians like Chris Angels can make mockery of the foundational scientific Laws(which are true but only in the physical and natural realm). Is it then safe to use science without accommodating the spiritual realm in the explanation of our universe? The fööl chickened away from the simple question, so would deluded and proud people like you. You will never learn until it is late.
Yes men are superior to women, yes women are superior to men. Just the way a white cloth can boast of being lighter than black is the same way a black cloth can boast of being darker than white, but both are not equal, neither is one superior to one another, if all conditions are kept constant.
But conditions are not constant in our world. The properties men have are much more needed in our daily activities and that of women are highly regarded in the home. The YORUBA knew these properties and decided to make the best use of it.
They appointed the Iyalode(women leader) in the palace in order to hear the feelings of women, and also made the position of queen highly regarded e.g. A proverb goes thus: There is no honour for a King with no queen. They made sure they completely alienated men from certain works, though they knew they could do it as good as women. E.g. Selling farm produce of their husband, selling of cooked foods, shelling of palm oil e.t.c. They made giving birth to a child look like discovering gold e.t.c. Women traded a lot and amazingly,they were allowed to keep their profit and own property. Any man that räpëd a woman is castrated or if its a stranger, he is banished from the land. If as a couple, you fight one another, your family intercedes and all is brought to calm. In fact, men respected women and women respected themselves.
It is this piece of intellectual idea that has made feminism loose so much attention in SW Nigeria, you can confirm it on television, women call their hubby 'my owner' and instinctively kneel down. Almost all modern Yoruba women don't see anything wrong in this, the worst you can see is that women must put something on table(which is good).
The problem with feminism is that 99.9 % of women are naturally submissive. The reason why feminists are so aggressive and cold is not because of men but because they are trying to use it to cover the submissive part of them(I challenge you to tell me a feminist with an unharming smiling face you see on happy school girls). Chimamanda Adichie is a naturally submissive woman, that is why she can't let go of the idea of changing to her husband's name, because deep inside her, she wants to.
Chat with a feminist on Nairaland, she starts high and all of a sudden, she becomes low and begins to ask you why you had to say something abusive to her(as if looking for consolation or apology), you get to feel a little bit sorry for talking to a woman like that, but you behave like a man and continue like nothing happend.
I know a lot of women are being genuinely oppressed, I feel sorry, but oppression cuts across both genders and everything can be settled under HUMAN RIGHTS, without trying to ignite any gender to being ashamed of their natural behavior. smiley
Help me tell cococandy babygirlfl and carefreewannabe. God bless your MOTHER.
Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Emmalot121(m): 1:12am On Sep 26, 2014
pweetyz: ..None taken..i doubt that though cos it is stated in both the old and new testaments and i don't think the bible fades..

Leave him and let him continue to bask in his state of self delusion and fantasy. Try this beautiful Christian website www.jesus-is-savior.com/

1 Like

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by texanomaly(f): 2:00am On Sep 26, 2014

thank you

Does your "proof" apply to everyone, or just those who believe the Bible?

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 26, 2014
Emma speaks well... and probably means well too. However, the word feminism has been irrevocably branded "men-hate". So feminist have to look for another word or -probably an acronym- to replace the word.

Then "Gender Equality" is a phrase that should be discontinued. "Gender Respect" or "Gender Regard" should be promoted.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 26, 2014
Nigerian men and the abnormal sense of self worth they get from their gender...some men are actually begining to see the essence of feminism..buh sum insecure men will always live to oppress the feminine gender in their undying quest for superiority...

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson by pweetyz(f): 7:58am On Sep 26, 2014
Stillfire:

Lol, why do you take offense? I'm only reiterating the bible and giving you some background on the original reason every Christian woman should know. As a Christian you should know that the woman was cursed to live in subordination to the man. The Christian woman like yourself exercises the curse that was dealt to her at the garden of Eden. So my dear, if you don't know, now you do. grin

My second question was
Since you allude to the superiority of the man, what does that make you? Is it not inferior?
..OKAY..now i fully understand what you meant..
this is rather a tricky question but no..i refuse to be inferior
the bible is just an ambiguous book and it takes the special grace of God to be able to comprehend its teachings
it however is not congruent to our thoughts and mindset
but i think there are some forms of fixed inferiority of the female sex that God has
already placed aside such as in the field of sports
well..i personally think the bible simply wants us to humble and pure of heart
this doesn't mean that our male counterparts should take advantage of this and denigrate us..it simply means that they should treat us with care and respect as God directed

in the end i don't believe i'm inferior to men..but that i should give them their due respect as God has placed them above us in some ways but i still don't think that both sexes can be made equal because the God who created us placed the male sex over the female..i believe both sexes can reach an equipoise

In Eves case however..it is made known in the bible that she was placed under Adam from the moment she was made from him

texanomaly..the bible references applies to those who believe in the bible as they live by its principles and would understand it better but the other reference applies to everyone i.e the sporting activities..it is simply inevitable

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. / World’s Oldest Mother Gave Birth At Almost 70 / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.