Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,406 members, 7,812,199 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University (76992 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / 12 Things Successful Nigerians Never Reveal About Themselves / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by femmy2010(m): 1:23pm On Oct 01, 2014
I guess what the OP was trying to buttress is the fact that you don't have a University Certificate doesn't mean you shouldn't thrive hard to attain success in your chosen field be it Carpentry,Music,catering,panel beating and any other form of trade.
Going to school is great, it might not easily put Fried rice,salad,fried Turkey etc on your table but it gives you a slight edge in any life endeavor you decide to follow.
Their is this general scramble for certificate and certification among Nigerians that makes many even buy it thus unable to defend it.
Each young individuals should follow their dream as long as it is one that would give them an honest return and has a potential to take care of their born and unborn kids and avoid heading the wrong route due to a society worship of Certificates .
If you have a knack for school then embrace education wholly if not learn a trade as early as you can. Either way you do make it as long as you put God first.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by agarawu23(m): 1:24pm On Oct 01, 2014
iamsegsy: why not give us millions of successful people who went to school and get dis crap outta here...... dis are d kinda things that discourages youth from studying hard.... they all wanna be lyk wizkid,davido....it might work for them but not for all

u should encourage us not discourage us...
my dear friend, in Nigeria today, Jackpot money is d best but education is important and nt everybody will succeed with certificate.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by menesheh(m): 1:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
kunlesehan:
What a powerful independence day message this is.
are you quoting ironically or what?

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by AspDrone(m): 1:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
icekidgodfrey: And the aim of this post again is to...?

See, things like this mislead our youths, now everybody thinks they can be musicians. Not everybody would make it through the fast track! The number of touts is increasing, I fear for the next generation
Dey dia dey fear..wish I can be in the next generation...this generation has been poisoned by our old leaders and are still ruling.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by chamboy(m): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
If u do blood money, theft, Fraud, Oil Buckery, all na steal Success for naija.... Nigerians n that Money Success Believe
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
thank u ops, bt i will still prefare school... aint go to school because of richness alone
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by kunlesehan(m): 1:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
menesheh: are you quoting ironically or what?
a thousand likes for your question.
However, the answer lies in your perspectives and it's therefore relative. Lol
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by daben1(m): 1:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
Jesus!!! Even Alakija too never attended university?
God show me the money please!!!
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by rattlesnake(m): 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2014
hifaif:

What you ended up saying is that no man is an island.

Moreover, 3 out of the world's top ten famous software engineers have no degree.

John Carmark pioneered Adaptive Tile Refresh (used in Command Keen)

Ulf Michael Widenius wrote the MySQL Server and Maria DB fork

Jamie Zawinski contributed significantly to Mozilla and XEmacs.

They were engineers with no degree.
wth is DB fukc undecided
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Mention(m): 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2014
gebest: those dat made it without education are few, but those that made it with education are too numerous to mention.
True Talk

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Pennywise(m): 1:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
NwaAnambra: Arthur Eze, G.U.O, Bishop Okonkwo, Sir Emeka Offor, Chikason, Seaman, Fenabros limited and so on

Op should squeeze and throw that list away. It means nothing. But I am sorry I have to say I am very disappointed in this Alakija woman. Now that she made the money why doesnt she go back to school to remove the stigma? And you never see her without reading glasses. Who signs her cheques?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Samuel124(m): 1:48pm On Oct 01, 2014
http://2goface.com/invite?ref=samuel124 Hello everyone, i have found a great site to get free airtime,and connect with student. i have tried the website and its working. Just visit this link : http://2goface.com/invite?ref=omololly #2goface
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by emmanuelogbe(m): 1:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
Why do I get this feeling that it is only in Nigeria that we don't value education? Having a degree may not necessarily determine your tomorrow, but it gives you an edge over others in the future. It commands respect from the society, and it also defines you. There are lots of people in school today who should not even had bothered about going to school because, they are not receptive to the purpose of formal education. They just don't want to learn. Their only purpose is to experience that form of education. I'd advise such persons to go into trade or learn a vocation. For those who realise their areas of interest in time, it is a great opportunity for them to begin to explore their potentials.
But then, you must understand that there is no one formula to success. What works for one may not necessarily work for you. Even education comes in quality. Not everybody can become an entrepreneur. In as much as you advise people to go into trades and vocation, we need people in the society who can contribute their quota to societal development. People who are trained formally to be professionals in the field. In as much as we need entrepreneurs in the society, we also need Academicians, Actuaries, Doctors, Lawyers, Economists, Accountants, Pharmacists, and so many others. How would you become any of the above professionals without a tertiary education? Look at those in the oil and gas sectors, banks, military, civil service commission, telecom, insurance companies, hospitals and others; how do you expect to thrive successfully in such organization without tertiary education? I know a lot of people who work in some of these places without their degree but are in regrets and are striving with so much effort to get their first degree.
The bottom line is this, know what you want in life and pursue it. Do not try to generalize because you see that things aren't going well with others because, you don't know the story and situation surrounding them.
No matter how you look at it, Education is indispensable and Tertiary Education is very important.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Pennywise(m): 1:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
Mobsync:

Seun went to OAU

But he left without a degree!!!
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by mrlaw93(m): 1:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
wetin concern me.. Iya ngozi give me more parcel. Na igbo sure pass
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by JuanDeDios: 1:52pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

Don jazzy cant make music without some software developer
Coscharis cant sell cars without the engineerw who made the cars
Famfa oil cant do business without the oil engineers
Mercy Johnson cant have Big braests without Dr 90210 tongue tongue

etc etc etc

I will rather go to school
It's good to go to school but your argument above just reinforces what the OP is saying - your engineers, software developers, breast enhancers, etc, are going to end up working for and being controlled by those who didn't to go school.

The fact is that if you're a Bill Gates, Orji Uzor Kalu or Seun Osewa, wasting time on a degree is just going to hold you back and clip your achievements. But we're not all Gates, Kalu or Osewa so school is okay for many.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Dcmg(m): 1:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
Rastamann: Are you using this forum to discourage people from getting a good education?
Yes not all those that got education makes i in life, what proportion of those with education make it in life compared to the proportion that had no education.

Guys, get the education and wait for the opportunity....Abraham Lincoln
Did Abraham Lincoln go to School?But he was one of the greatest president america has ever had.
Why do you guys believe education is all about schooling?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by JuanDeDios: 1:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
bolukaz: 8 succesful people alone? Why not take a short trip around your hood and observe scores of uneducated people living 'just' around the poverty line, these people just happened to get a 1-in-a-million chance of making it big in an education-driven society
No society is entirely university-degree driven and no society can live without its educated professionals. The fact is that if success to you equals making lots of money a degree is the last thing you need.

By the way, we can just equally "observe scores" of graduates who are poor in Nigeria.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by micolaj: 1:58pm On Oct 01, 2014
pls don't brainwash d youth, everyone is unique in his or her own way nd whether u like it or not education is the pillar of any DEVELOPED nation, hw many LIONEL MESSI CHINESE pple get? or if dey giv u Visa 4 deir u no go go?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: wth is DB fukc undecided

Find out yourself. That is how you learn to do great things. Not just by getting a degree.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Bosville(m): 2:00pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dnt knw Y soMepeople reason meekly....it's only a fooL that will protest against d post up there...d msg depicts discovering your real self...
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by JuanDeDios: 2:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
NwaAnambra: Arthur Eze, G.U.O, Bishop Okonkwo, Sir Emeka Offor, Chikason, Seaman, Fenabros limited and so on
Some of the names you listed here are very coarse and I would not use them as examples of anything positive. I kind of admire GUO. I don't know the last three but Arthur Eze and Emeke Offor are just lipsrsealed
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
micolaj: pls don't brainwash d youth, everyone is unique in his or her own way nd whether u like it or not education is the pillar of any DEVELOPED nation, hw many LIONEL MESSI CHINESE pple get? or if dey giv u Visa 4 deir u no go go?

The OP said '...who never went to a university'

You can be educated without going to a university. In fact, education is relative.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Funpeter: 2:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
madridfc: cool
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by bigtt76(f): 2:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
It is posts like this that make our recent WAEC and NECO candidates be failing woefully......cause they no longer see the need to pass. They all looking to hammer without hard work. grin
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Lawalemi(m): 2:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
I always have my reservation on Alakija's success. I comes to me as breakthrough secured through crooked means
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by geophyscist: 2:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
sexzskil: It is either this op has no hope of going to a university or failed badly while there.
don't say so,my grandfather(pdp chieftain) slogan says education is necessary but not compulsory to determine your success in life.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by synergycom19: 2:07pm On Oct 01, 2014
iamsegsy: why not give us millions of successful people who went to school and get dis crap outta here...... dis are d kinda things that discourages youth from studying hard.... they all wanna be lyk wizkid,davido....it might work for them but not for all

u should encourage us not discourage us...
Add Bill gates and many others to the list
God doesn't usually bless EDUCATED people because they are too often PROUD and claim stupid wisdom
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by micolaj: 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
hifaif:

The OP said '...who never went to a university'

You can be educated without going to a university. In fact, education is relative.
k
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 01, 2014
emmanuelogbe: Why do I get this feeling that it is only in Nigeria that we don't value education? Having a degree may not necessarily determine your tomorrow, but it gives you an edge over others in the future. It commands respect from the society, and it also defines you. There are lots of people in school today who should not even had bothered about going to school because, they are not receptive to the purpose of formal education. They just don't want to learn. Their only purpose is to experience that form of education. I'd advise such persons to go into trade or learn a vocation. For those who realise their areas of interest in time, it is a great opportunity for them to begin to explore their potentials.
But then, you must understand that there is no one formula to success. What works for one may not necessarily work for you. Even education comes in quality. Not everybody can become an entrepreneur. In as much as you advise people to go into trades and vocation, we need people in the society who can contribute their quota to societal development. People who are trained formally to be professionals in the field. In as much as we need entrepreneurs in the society, we also need Academicians, Actuaries, Doctors, Lawyers, Economists, Accountants, Pharmacists, and so many others. How would you become any of the above professionals without a tertiary education? Look at those in the oil and gas sectors, banks, military, civil service commission, telecom, insurance companies, hospitals and others; how do you expect to thrive successfully in such organization without tertiary education? I know a lot of people who work in some of these places without their degree but are in regrets and are striving with so much effort to get their first degree.
The bottom line is this, know what you want in life and pursue it. Do not try to generalize because you see that things aren't going well with others because, you don't know the story and situation surrounding them.
No matter how you look at it, Education is indispensable and Tertiary Education is very important.

You said people shouldn't generalize but you are doing the same thing.

Tertiary Education is a waste of time to some people.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by abiola708(m): 2:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
this can never happen to all
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

Don jazzy cant make music without some software developer
Coscharis cant sell cars without the engineers who made the cars
Famfa oil cant do business without the oil engineers
Mercy Johnson cant have Big braests without Dr 90210 tongue tongue

etc etc etc

I will rather go to school
. And still come back to serve them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative? / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.