Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,154 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University (76991 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / 12 Things Successful Nigerians Never Reveal About Themselves / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Amadaz(m): 2:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
There are plenty more still
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2014
mecussey: These are the ones you know, go to Onitsha, almost all the millionaires their are illitrates. They own half of the properties at Alaba international market. I would say they are successful.

illiterates? no
They can read and write.
non graduates? yes

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Sunday17: 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2014
Not everybody is destined to make it through school
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by timilehing(m): 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2014
Different pattern for different people. What will work for me may not work for you
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Mobsync(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2014
Bossforeva: yea into electronics engineering, dropped afterwards

Pennywise:

But he left without a degree!!!

Wow! I didn't know. Thanks.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by ayojohn4real: 2:27pm On Oct 01, 2014
No mention this young successful farmer wetin this people give you for campaign..?
Justice629: Olorogun Michael Ibru:
Michael Ibru is the founder of Ibru Organization which is one of the largest conglomerates in Nigeria and head of one of the richest family in Nigeria. He is a prominent Nigerian businessman who has only a school certificate to his name, he graduated from Igbobi college in 1951.

Razaq Akanni Okoya:
A Nigerian billionaire industrialist, he is the founder of Eleganza Group which has a marketing span across West Africa. The lack of a proper education was not a barrier to Razaq Okoya in his quest for success. He had his only formal education at Ansar-un-deen primary School, Oke popo, Lagos.

Orji Uzor Kalu:
He is the billionaire founder of SLOK Holding as well as the founder of Daily Sun and New Telegraph Newspapers. He was rusticated from the university for participating in a students’ protest. The university later reconsidered its decision and he was called back but he rejected the offer and ventured into entrepreneurship instead.

Michael Collins Ajere (Don Jazzy):
don jazzy the prolific music producer and C.E.O of Mavin Records, Michael Collins better known as Don Jazzy is one of Nigeria’s successful Nigerians that didn’t need education to attain greatness. He was ranked the second most bankable artiste in Africa by Channel O and Forbes Africa, interesting to note is that he dropped out of Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma in his first year.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Consultville(m): 2:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
But do you know how many billionaires attended great schools.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Parisbee5(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2014
@Op This doesnt sound rational at all. Agreed they had no varsity degrees, but have u ever wondered why they will pay through their noses to send their wards to the University?. Chai!! If education is costly try ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Pyroxene: 2:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
Apart from university there are other sources of education oooo, polytechnics, monotechnics, college of educations, technical colleges,secondary schools, primary schools, I believe these people must have aquired one of these. We even have informal education too......a well taught primary school child is already well equipt to face life as far as I am concerned. He can get a blue collard job and excel beyound d skies and even have conglomerates.......... So what's the fuzz about university education jor

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by mecussey(m): 2:34pm On Oct 01, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

illiterates? no
They can read and write.
non graduates? yes

Ok..but this is logic...the topic says those that never graduated.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by kay29000(m): 2:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
People are fighting OP because of this topic...they feel these are just the ones that got lucky, and that they are a larger fraction of people who never went to the University that are living in poverty. Well, my Dad didn't go to the University, but he rose high in one of the banks still standing in Nigeria right now in the 80-90s. Guaranteed that things have changed, but I still strongly believe that proper secondary school education is enough for anyone to be super successful in life, as long as he knows what he wants to do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by MrWhoKnows(m): 2:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
[quote author=]have u counted d number of people who never went to the university and are wretched out in d streets??

[/quote] what about the millions of graduates combing the streets looking for nonexistent jobs??
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
kabba7:

Most rich and educated Nigerians are actually fraudsters many made money stealing government money .

Education is good but dont guarrantee being rich .

thank you very much.
Living on corrupt government policies doesn't make you a good entrepreneur
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by jtroy(m): 2:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
I think the morale of this article is education shouldnt be a barrier to one's success. What u cant make up with your head u should make up with ur mind.
This is also telling people that there is chance for those whose parent couldnt pay for their education.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by dammytosh: 2:44pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

Don jazzy cant make music without some software developer
Coscharis cant sell cars without the engineers who made the cars
Famfa oil cant do business without the oil engineers
Mercy Johnson cant have Big braests without Dr 90210 tongue tongue

etc etc etc

I will rather go to school

I guess the poster is stylishly considering dropping out.

NO TRY AMMMMMM
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 01, 2014
If you like no go sch... Guess you are looking for a way to justify your inability to finish cheesy
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Many graduates are also living below the poverty lines

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by dammytosh: 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
kay29000: People are fighting OP because of this topic...they feel these are just the ones that got lucky, and that they are a larger fraction of people who never went to the University that are living in poverty. Well, my Dad didn't go to the University, but he rose high in one of the banks still standing in Nigeria right now in the 80-90s. Guaranteed that things have changed, but I still strongly believe that proper secondary school education is enough for anyone to be super successful in life, as long as he knows what he wants to do.

Do you want to compare the education standard that produced your dad with the one we have now.

A secondary school holder in this modern Nigeria can not rise an inch in any bank. The person will either be a cleaner or a security guard at most. This is simply a fact.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by kay29000(m): 2:48pm On Oct 01, 2014
dammytosh:

Do you want to compare the education standard that produce your dad with the one we have now.

A secondary school holder in this modern Nigeria can no rise an inch in any bank. The person will either be a cleaner or a security guard at most. This is simply a fact.

Hmm! That's the bitter truth.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by vislabraye(m): 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Many graduates are also living below the poverty lines

But education has helped more people come out of poverty in Nigeria.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by sexzskil(f): 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
WHAT THIS SHORSIGHTED OP FAILED TO MENTION IS THAT, ALL THOSE ''UNEDUCATED'' SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE HE LISTED WILL HANG THEMSELVES TO SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO THE BEST SCHOOLS IN THE WORLD. NEXT TIME, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

EDUCATION IS TOTALLY INDISPENSABLE! UNIVERSITIES HAS BEEN IN EXISTENCE FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN IMAGINED, IT IS BECAUSE IT HAS A COLOSSAL USE. MY 2 KOBO.

MIND U, THE BIGGEST CELEBRITIES IN THE WORLD TODAY WHO WERE DROP OUT ARE STILL YEARNING FOR SCHOOLING. ALL NAIJA SO-CALLED CELEBS WHO WERE ALSO DROP OUT ALL SEEK TO GO BACK TO THE UNIVERSITY. INCASE U DON'T KNOW, 2 FACE IS ASPIRING TO STUDY LAW, 9ICE WANTS GO TO SCHOOL IN MINEAPOLIS, ETC, ETC. THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST RELAXED SINCE THEY ARE MADE MEN, NO! THEY STILL WANT 2 GO TO SCHOOL.

FACT REMAINS; '' EDUCATION IN A SCHOOL IS THE BIGGEST LEGACY YOU CAN PASS ON TO YOUR WARDS''.

3 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
Which polytechnic did you attend? When the op said university then he meant including the others, all na sch...
Pyroxene: Apart from university there are other sources of education oooo, polytechnics, monotechnics, college of educations, technical colleges,secondary schools, primary schools, I believe these people must have aquired one of these. We even have informal education too......a well taught primary school child is already well equipt to face life as far as I am concerned. He can get a blue collard job and excel beyound d skies and even have conglomerates.......... So what's the fuzz about university education jor
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2014
vislabraye:

But education has helped more people come out of poverty in Nigeria.

you mean schooling?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
tebirim: If you like no go sch... Guess you are looking for a way to justify your inability to finish cheesy

take it or leave it.
Many graduates are living below poverty lines and are underemployed.
now, that's rubbish
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by MrWhoKnows(m): 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
kay29000: People are fighting OP because of this topic...they feel these are just the ones that got lucky, and that they are a larger fraction of people who never went to the University that are living in poverty. Well, my Dad didn't go to the University, but he rose high in one of the banks still standing in Nigeria right now in the 80-90s. Guaranteed that things have changed, but I still strongly believe that proper secondary school education is enough for anyone to be super successful in life, as long as he knows what he wants to do.
I wish they would listen.Just a little loan to an enterprising individual with basic skills and he ends up creating jobs for those same "clueless" graduates.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by steve308(m): 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
And this should not be encouraged. Education is key to life
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
As if the few successfuls justify the number of those who are actually successful after graduating from college, or even significant to the many wretched people who didn't go to college. Better go to school!...else even garri, you no go see chop

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2014
obisage:
I agree with u. but honestly, if our youths can pay the level of attention and enthusiasm they pay to university education to vocational training, believe me, we won't have the level of unemployment we have in Nigeria today. very few of them go to school to study what they have passion for. everybody goes to school to have good certificate to get a job.

JOB CREATED BY WHO
by the so called "uneducated" people, when they were busy wasting time in the university.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 01, 2014
Bossforeva: Seun too. Entrepreneurship is the surest way forward
Why is anybody not mentioning the name of King Sunny Ade?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by vislabraye(m): 3:02pm On Oct 01, 2014

When U mentioned your dad, I thought you were going to say he is an entreprenor. Who will employ you as an SSCE holder in this day and age ?

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by sexzskil(f): 3:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
IF THE OP HAD SAY FORMAL EDUCATION IS ALMOST USELESS IN NIGERIA AND THIIRD-WORLD COUNTRIES, I WOULD HAVE GAVE HIM A BIG KUDOS! IT IS ONLY IN THESE FVCKED COUNTRIES YOU CAN SEE OVER 85 PERCENT OF GRADUATES LOOKING FOR JOB LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW. MORESO, OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM IS REALLY FVCKED!
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by snowserve(m): 3:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
INDEPENDENCE CELEBRATION PRICE SLASH!!!

Snowserve Consults offers you an opportunity to transform your cv into a professional self-marketing tool for just #1000!!!
This offer includes 2 FREE EBOOKS by seasoned authors on how you can effectively use LinkedIn to secure your dream job. Grab this offer by sending your current cv to snowserve@gmail.com ,Offer lasts till 10th October 2014.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by psalm121vs1: 3:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

Don jazzy cant make music without some software developer
Coscharis cant sell cars without the engineers who made the cars
Famfa oil cant do business without the oil engineers
Mercy Johnson cant have Big braests without Dr 90210 tongue tongue

etc etc etc

I will rather go to school
bill gates dint graduate...Henry ford dint go to school..the first cardiosurgeon dint go to college...not to discourage u anyway..just know what u want and be the change u want..no excuse

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative? / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.