Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. - Politics (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. (1227726 Views)

Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? / Anambra State Light Of The Nation. Economic And Political Powerhouse Of Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (524) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by achi4u(m): 5:43pm On Oct 31, 2014
Chiwude:
Ebe ka nwa Igala Chino gawa ra. Chino nwa Igala putakwa puta. Asim afia adigo.
Lolx@Nwa si igala na kogi stategringringrin
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
Chino ge kwa nti ofuma. Ndi gi na ha sokwa megbisia nzuko Imo na Anambra aburozi ndigbo. Iheoma e ge mere anyi bu e choputa nzuko ndi ofe fukwara efu na nairaland. E fopu ta ya, gi wujuo ya foto ojo enwere na ala ndiofe n'ime ya. E ge me ihe ahu ngwa ra gi, Konmight, Vanbonttel, Tunde salami na ndiozo agaghi hapuru anyi nudo.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Ilovenigeria(f): 8:41pm On Oct 31, 2014
Chiwude:
Chino ge kwa nti ofuma. Ndi gi na ha sokwa megbisia nzuko Imo na Anambra aburozi ndigbo. Iheoma e ge mere anyi bu e choputa nzuko ndi ofe fukwara efu na nairaland. E fopu ta ya, gi wujuo ya foto ojo enwere na ala ndiofe n'ime ya. E ge me ihe ahu ngwa ra gi, Konmight, Vanbonttel, Tunde salami na ndiozo agaghi hapuru anyi nudo.
As old as you are, you no get common sense msteeew.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by tabletman1: 12:54am On Nov 01, 2014
vanbonattel:
yeparipa samboribobo
yeparipa samboribobo
More chorus
yeparipa samboribobo
yeparipa samboribobo grin
vanbonattel:
can you raise your voice grin
yeparipa samboribobo
yeparipa samboribobo grin
Lol...

This Guy is a clown gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 1:21am On Nov 01, 2014
FKO81:
Onitsha hotel and Convention center under construction.

Looking at the Onitsha Hotel building, at this stage of completion and they have not started landscaping speak volumes of the experience of the folks doing this.

I have also noticed that neither the Agulu nor the Onitsha hotels have any swimming pools being built now, which makes one wonder what type of 4 star hotel they are building and what makes it a resort? One hopes that swimming pools are part of these hotels and located behind the structure.

Similar hotels in other smaller African countries don't just have the landscaping done while construction have reached advanced stage, even their hotels rated as 3 star hotels are completely fitted with swimming pools as in the first picture below. In the second picture, the road and landscaping is already completed for the hotel and convention center still under construction! As Nigerians, we must learn to imbibe a culture of building standard structures with good landscaping in cities like Onitsha. Not just building standard hotels with proper landscaping only when it is in Lagos or Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 3:45am On Nov 01, 2014
More two star hotels in neighbouring African countries with good landscaping and pool areas

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by VAQAXY: 7:13am On Nov 01, 2014
It has pools at the two facilities in Agulu and Onitsha. Particularly Agulu Resort, it has its pool at the back overlooking the famous Agulu lake. See below the updates on the pool and landscaping already ongoing.

OreMI22:

Looking at the Onitsha Hotel building, at this stage of completion and they have not started landscaping speak volumes of the experience of the folks doing this.

I have also noticed that neither the Agulu nor the Onitsha hotels have any swimming pools being built now, which makes one wonder what type of 4 star hotel they are building and what makes it a resort? One hopes that swimming pools are part of these hotels and located behind the structure.

Similar hotels in other smaller African countries don't just have the landscaping done while construction have reached advanced stage, even their hotels rated as 3 star hotels are completely fitted with swimming pools as in the first picture below. In the second picture, the road and landscaping is already completed for the hotel and convention center still under construction! As Nigerians, we must learn to imbibe a culture of building standard structures with good landscaping in cities like Onitsha. Not just building standard hotels with proper landscaping only when it is in Lagos or Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 01, 2014
My brother you failed it, there is nothing like going to ofe thread to post pics when there is no ofe thread trending.
Its like waking up a deathman to kill him again.

Ofe dont have any thread and going to resurrect the stone dead ofe thread for mudfighting will kill this one.
The only thing is telling the mods to ban the wayward troll here.

Ofe have no thread

Chiwude:

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 01, 2014
BuddahMonk:
My brother you failed it, there is nothing like going to ofe thread to post pics when there is no ofe thread trending.
Its like waking up a deathman to kill him again.

Ofe dont have any thread and going to resurrect the stone dead ofe thread for mudfighting will kill this one.
The only thing is telling the mods to ban the wayward troll here.

Ofe have no thread

Ok. Was just looking for an avenue to keep Chino busy, rather than him helping ndi ofe destroy the Imo thread.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by vanbonattel: 11:17am On Nov 01, 2014
Chiwude:
Ok. Was just looking for an avenue to keep Chino busy, rather than him helping ndi ofe destroy the Imo thread.
this place can be peaceful
no name calling and accrimony

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
VAQAXY:
It has pools at the two facilities in Agulu and Onitsha. Particularly Agulu Resort, it has its pool at the back overlooking the famous Agulu lake. See below the updates on the pool and landscaping already ongoing.

The Agulu hotel has provision for a rather small pool but none for the Onitsha hotel.

Actually, my point is why can't we simply provide a swimming pool as part of the requirement for any hotel that is above 3 stars? In poorer African countries, their hotels and the environment around the hotels puts Nigerian hotels in the same category of being referred to as a motel. We apparently don't build our hotels expecting holiday makers and tourists to stay, it's strictly about building a restaurant for the dishes and rooms for sleeping in the suites that is required for a hotel, in our mindset.

See a Ugandan 3 star hotel in the second picture below. Notice that in spite of being a cheap hotel with "poor" physical structure, they still have an olympic sized swimming pool and a childrens' pool in the pool area behind the hotel. The entire pool area is adorned with a lot of palm trees to make it very relaxing for guests. Many Nigerian "5 star" hotels will struggle to match such pool area. We simply don't believe building swimming pools are essential components of modern hotels.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by IGBOSON1: 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
OreMI22:

The Agulu hotel has provision for a rather small pool but none for the Onitsha hotel.

Actually, my point is why can't we simply provide a swimming pool as part of the requirement for any hotel that is above 3 stars? In poorer African countries, their hotels and the environment around the hotels puts Nigerian hotels in the same category of being referred to as a motel. We apparently don't build our hotels expecting holiday makers and tourists to stay, it's strictly about building a restaurant for the dishes and rooms for sleeping in the suites that is required for a hotel, in our mindset.

See a Ugandan 3 star hotel in the second picture below. Notice that in spite of being a cheap hotel with "poor" physical structure, they still have an olympic sized swimming pool and a childrens' pool in the pool area behind the hotel, which is adorned with a lot of palm trees to make it very relaxing for guests. Many Nigerian "5 star" hotels will struggle to match such pool area. We simply don't believe building swimming pools are essential components of modern hotels.

^^^Bros, you're flogging a dead horse! I've long accepted that Nigeria doesn't do aesthetics and landscaping! A few states make a half-hearted attempt at it, but you can tell it's just a token and shoddy attempt! The only place you'll see an effort made is in Abuja and some highbrow areas in some state capitals (like Independence Layout in Enugu)! Though Akwa Ibom and Cross River states are trying small!

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by VAQAXY: 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2014
There is no way they will complete the facility without a 5 star swimming pool. By the time they finish these two facilities/landscaping in Agulu and Onitsha..it will be more or less like Dubai in Nigeria. The work is still ongoing..

OreMI22:

See a Ugandan 3 star hotel in the second picture below. Notice that in spite of being a cheap hotel with "poor" physical structure, they still have an olympic sized swimming pool and a childrens' pool in the pool area behind the hotel. The entire pool area is adorned with a lot of palm trees to make it very relaxing for guests. Many Nigerian "5 star" hotels will struggle to match such pool area. We simply don't believe building swimming pools are essential components of modern hotels.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 8:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Bros, you're flogging a dead horse! I've long accepted that Nigeria doesn't do aesthetics and landscaping! A few states make a half-hearted attempt at it, but you can tell it's just a token and shoddy attempt! The only place you'll see an effort made is in Abuja and some highbrow areas in some state capitals (like Independence Layout in Enugu)! Thouly gh Akwa Ibom and Cross River states are trying small!

You are absolutely correct. It is so very disheartening. We like pretending like we want to copy "Dubai" while we haven't even reached Botswana or Abuja standard talk less of South Africa. The worst thing is that when you raise such issues about aesthetics, you are deemed "elitist" or defeatist that is why you can't see we are developing "Dubai" and you are discouraging us grin grin grin grin grin grin
Let me just state at this juncture that there is no one more interested in developing the SE than me. I just know we simply cannot afford to implement Dubai nor Qatar or Saudi standards. But we can do better than many other African countries currently out performing us. Even when their projects cost a fraction of what we quote as the cost of these projects.

I intentionally don't compare any South African facility to Nigeria's because of the normal excuses that SA is developed and blah, blah, blah, but I know if "poorer" African countries such as Uganda, Burundi or Rwanda can do it, there is absolutely no excuse why we cannot.

[size=18pt]For those always claiming they are building "Dubai" standard hotels in Awka and Onitsha, these are hotels in Dubai you are purportedly copying. Tell me how what you are building in Agulu or Onitsha resembles any of these.

Why can't we be real to ourselves for once?
You'd rather deceive yourselves quoting "Dubai" all the time, than face reality and aim for Abuja or Botswana standard which is more realistic.
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by VAQAXY: 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
I have come to one conclusion- you have a good heart!

OreMI22:

Let me just state at this juncture that there is no one more interested in developing the SE than me.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by VAQAXY: 8:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
There is equally nothing wrong in aiming beyond Abuja status. Aiming Abuja could land you somewhere in between but aiming Dubai could as well land you some in Pretoria or Capetown or very advanced than Abuja. lol I am a pragmatic person, so I believe in thinking 'big'. I do not believe that nothing is impossible in life.

OreMI22:

You are absolutely correct. It is so very disheartening. We like pretending like we want to copy "Dubai" while we haven't even reached Botswana or Abuja standard talk less of South Africa. The worst thing is that when you raise such issues about aesthetics, you are deemed "elitist" or defeatist that is why you can't see we are developing "Dubai" and you are discouraging us grin grin grin grin grin grin
Let me just state at this juncture that there is no one more interested in developing the SE than me. I just know we simply cannot afford to implement Dubai nor Qatar or Saudi standards. But we can do better than many other African countries currently out performing us. Even when their projects cost a fraction of what we quote as the cost of these projects.

I intentionally don't compare any South African facility to Nigeria's because of the normal excuses that SA is developed and blah, blah, blah, but I know if "poorer" African countries such as Uganda, Burundi or Rwanda can do it, there is absolutely no excuse why we cannot.

[size=18pt]For those always claiming they are building Dubai standard hotels in Awka and Onitsha, these are hotels in Dubai your are purportedly copying. Tell me how what you are building resembles any of these.
You'd rather deceive yourselves quoting "Dubai" than face reality and aim for Abuja standard which is more realistic.
[/size]
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 8:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
VAQAXY:
I have come to one conclusion- you have a good heart!

Bros,
Forget about my heart being good, faulty or dysfunctional.

My hope for you and others fond of quoting "Dubai" for any Anambra project is that you also come to the conclusion that you are actually mocking the effort being made to put in these hotels and flyovers by calling them "Dubai". The only thing in Nigeria that MAY come even close by a thousand miles of being referred to as "Dubai" in Nigeria is the EKO Atlantic city (If it is built exactly to specification).

I hope you see why my recommendations have been to focus on copying and replicating the best practices already successfully achieved in other parts of Africa such as Abuja, Gaborone, Kampala, Mombasa,Kenya or Kigali. I have again intentionally omitted South African cities as Cape Town,Tswane, Jo'Burg, Kimberly,or Durban.... and there is a very good reason for that....... TO BE REALISTIC BASED ON AVAILABLE FUNDS.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
Glad to see that Obiano is putting structures in place to drive his dream.
The Anambra Investment Promotion Agency (ANSIPPA) & Capital development Authority (ACDA) owning its own building are great things.

However, the third leg in that tripod is the [size=17pt]Anambra Revenue Authority[/size] to coordinate the proper collection of revenue from all sources and remitting to the state account. Without a Revenue house to coordinate all government revenue, people will continue to go around to all sorts of offices at the secretariat to pay taxes in the wrong offices and to the wrong persons, which will simply vanish in transit.

7 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Ilovenigeria(f): 5:01pm On Nov 02, 2014
Tabletman1 nwannem nwoke.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by 9inches(m): 11:09pm On Nov 02, 2014
OreMI22:

For those always claiming they are building "Dubai" standard hotels in Awka and Onitsha, these are hotels in Dubai you are purportedly copying. Tell me how what you are building in Agulu or Onitsha resembles any of these.

Why can't we be real to ourselves for once?
You'd rather deceive yourselves quoting "Dubai" all the time, than face reality and aim for Abuja or Botswana standard which is more realistic

Try to listen to Obiano's comments about developing Anambra just like Dubai. We are talking of Dubai when they just started developing. Dubai's renaissance started 20- 30 years ago and counting... We are just starting. Most of these structures you posted came up in the last few years while more (and better ones) are still coming up... it is a process. First you make your place livable and advertise yourself, then investors will start trooping in. Anambra has just begun and if the current tempo is sustained at least, we will get there in no distant time insha Allah.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by FreeGlobe(f): 11:39pm On Nov 02, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:
Glad to see that Obiano is putting structures in place to drive his dream.
The Anambra Investment Promotion Agency (ANSIPPA) & Capital development Authority (ACDA) owning its own building are great things.

Obiano looks serious to deliver. He has a clue on governance and what ndi Anambra needs unlike his predecessor. I'm glad he's already implemented two of my recommendations for Awka here on nairaland (ACDA and the flyovers). The ANSIPPA is good stuff and ambitious. More employment for people. He needs to ban okada in Awka, onitsha and nnewi asap!!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by 3dankey(m): 5:58am On Nov 03, 2014
9inches:

Try to listen to Obiano's comments about developing Anambra just like Dubai. We are talking of Dubai when they just started developing. Dubai's renaissance started 20- 30 years ago and counting... We are just starting. Most of these structures you posted came up in the last few years while more (and better ones) are still coming up... it is a process. First you make your place livable and advertise yourself, then investors will start trooping in. Anambra has just begun and if the current tempo is sustained at least, we will get there in no distant time insha Allah.

If he has a blueprint to run with,then I will say it is better,but how sure are you that the next government will continue from where he stopped. The Onitsha hotel and convention centre looks ok in terms of structure,but the surroundings looks very poor and I hope it will have enough space. While that of Agulu Lake resort have good space for landscaping.

This is the same reason I am advocating for the need to handle one project at a time,have it done with high taste,then you can proceed to the need project.

I seriously hope that we have the funds to complete all the projects are the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by VAQAXY: 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
Its time FG grant FEDPOLY OKO to convert to degree awarding institution..

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by tabletman1: 5:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ilovenigeria:
Tabletman1 nwannem nwoke.
Sister mi, how are you doing?
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Myluv1: 2:14am On Nov 04, 2014
3dankey:
If he has a blueprint to run with,then I will say it is better
Did you not hear his plans for Awka during his election campaigns? Assuming he has none, the committee he set up for the course will oversee that.

but how sure are you that the next government will continue from where he stopped
It will be his responsibility to tow Peter Obi's line and do the needful, and our collective responsibility as well to vote a worthy candidate in.

The Onitsha hotel and convention centre looks ok in terms of structure,but the surroundings looks very poor and I hope it will have enough space
That environment is already what it is, I doubt if any demolition will be done to create more space. However, I got to know there will be enough car parking space according to the building plan... or do you want a football pitch around there? wink

This is the same reason I am advocating for the need to handle one project at a time,have it done with high taste,then you can proceed to the need project
Now this is the part I always find confusing. Do you mean govt should award a contract for a project, go and inspect it every other day throughout its execution until it is completed? It is like telling an undergraduate to take just one course every semester grin.. how ridiculous.

I seriously hope that we have the funds to complete all the projects are the same time.
My hope is high too. Well, seeing his background and wealth of experience, you can bet on him being resourceful enough to accomplish his goals.

Daalu!

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by ChimaAdeoye: 9:53pm On Nov 05, 2014
Wetin dey shele for here?
No more gists?
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by levelszik(m): 11:16am On Nov 06, 2014
What anambra needs for a start is an effective means of capturing all loop holes that results to missing funds. Anambra igr is still a far cry from what it's suppose to be. I hope obiano doesn't drop his guard on the long run like all politicians do.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by FKO81(m): 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2014
When I was traveling yestarday I noticed that the state government was reconstructing Zik's round-about and also beautifying the road.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 1:23pm On Nov 06, 2014
levelszik:
What anambra needs for a start is an effective means of capturing all loop holes that results to missing funds. Anambra igr is still a far cry from what it's suppose to be. I hope obiano doesn't drop his guard on the long run like all politicians do.

You are absolutely right. The state must figure out how to collect taxes without the money ending up in touts bank accounts.
If they can figure out how to make people pay their little taxes and making sure the money enters the state bank account, they will have IGR reaching N8-9 Billion naira per month.

Creating an Anambra revenue authority as a stand alone agency from the ministry of finance would help clarify who should collect these owed taxes. For now, only civil servants and big time business establishments pay taxes in Anambra.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 3:35pm On Nov 07, 2014
FKO81:
When I was traveling yestarday I noticed that the state government was reconstructing Zik's round-about and also beautifying the road.
Hopefully they will make it a spectacular roundabout and road like below.

Sometimes one wonders why Nigerians should plead for a great finishing and not just another shoddy project.
However, based on the history when it concerns Anambra and some states where planting flowers on public road is considered an abomination, even pleading for basic decent standards and proper landscaping as in the picture below, which is increasingly being taken for granted in other parts of black Africa, is considered asking for too much .

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Myluv1: 5:48pm On Nov 07, 2014
cjrane:

Hopefully they will make it a spectacular roundabout and road like below.

Sometimes one wonders why Nigerians should plead for a great finishing and not just another shoddy project.
However, based on the history when it concerns Anambra and some states where planting flowers on public road is considered an abomination, even pleading for basic decent standards and proper landscaping as in the picture below, which is increasingly being taken for granted in other parts of black Africa, is considered asking for too much .

First thing first bro, get the basics right before beautification especially when we are not Akwa Ibom that receives more allocation than the whole of south east states combined. Any project can undergo upgrades in the future when there is enough fund for that.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 8:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
Myluv1:

First thing first bro, get the basics right before beautification especially when we are not Akwa Ibom that receives more allocation than the whole of south east states combined. Any project can undergo upgrades in the future when there is enough fund for that.

Bros,
How many billions of naira does it cost to plant flowers and grass? If you spent N3 billion naira to construct a road, would it be a waste to spend N100 thousand naira to plant trees and flowers to beautify your N3 billion naira project? Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Enugu or Jigawa always incorporating landscaping into every project is because those leaders value aesthetics and has nothing to do with affordability. Landscaping is so cheap in Nigeria that i paid just N15,000 naira for some people to come plant flowers and make an outdoor garden in the backyard of a home i just completed, so that i can host my friends there in the evenings. Nigeria is so blessed that if you cut a branch of flower and stick it into the soil, it will grow into another plant after 2-3 rainfalls!

Refusing to plant flowers because you believe that planting flowers cost an enormous amount of money is EXACTLY the mindset i am talking about with our people. When our people build houses in Abuja, they know the value of flowers around their home, but in the SE, the same people will tell you that flowers will attract snakes!!!
I know people who have built one room bungalow in their village and beautified their entire compound with flowers and trees that it feels like being in an exotic resort once you step into their compound, while some that built duplexes, and multi-storey buildings with no landscaping at all with red mud and poodles of water around the entire compound, and their houses feel like an uncompleted prison yard each time you are there. It's just a question of appreciating aesthetics/ one's taste and not how much money one has.

Notice that the road median in the picture below already has grass and palm trees planted. Yet, this road is still under construction in a housing estate in Enugu. Now, how many billions did it cost to have the palm and flowers already planted before the road is even completed? Did it quadruple the cost of constructing that road?
On completion, these plants will make this road and the environment so beautiful. That is the mindset we should have. It doesn't cost anything extra to do things properly. There is no need to wait for the future when there is "adequate funds" in order to simply plant flowers and beautify your state.

Now go and post the same pictures of upper Iweka to tell me that i don't know what I am saying. Accepting constructive criticism is a virtue.
Note: I am not criticizing Anambra, I am only pointing out the shortcomings that should be corrected to make the state better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (524) (Reply)

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.