Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,495 members, 7,816,178 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Igala Language In Anambra State. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala Language In Anambra State. (86734 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / The Igala People In Anambra State / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 12, 2014
HisMajesty1:

I can relate with your post. your colleague's surname is my middle name. I'm from one of those communities the OP mentioned, precisely I'm from Igbedor. The truth is our people are so divided on which state to claim. some claim Anambra while others like my parent claim kogi because they can't just take the perennial discrimination from the Igbos.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by noblejames: 8:01am On Oct 12, 2014
new2020:

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. My point is Igalas and Igbos are bothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less thn 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners.
You nailed it!

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by adamskutty(m): 8:01am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
The Igala in Anambra comprises of many towns;NZAM(headqauter and also the largest town in Anambra west, also the largest oil deposit in Anambra state), INNOMA, OWELLE,UKWALA, ODEKPE,IGBEDOR, IGBOKEYI,ODE, ALLAH and ONUGWA. We lies at the river Niger and omambala coast. Located in Anambra west L.G.A. We have 98% of oil deposit in anambra state. Predominantly farmers,fishing, we are the food basket of nation. Our language is gradually going into extintion. We speak Igala but most our young ones today speak Igbo more than our language. I dont know if they are feeling shy to speak the language, i remember meeting one of my town person at onitsha, i greeted him in Igala he answered me in Igbo ,it goes like this" ME: John kayi dee? JOHN: nnaa! Udo di,ME: kabe enale? JOHN: nnaa! Ka munwa fu madu ebaa." I think the government of Anambra state is not doing well to Igala language just as they do to Igbo language. I know that we are minority language in Anambra with about 5% of the population. It dosnt mean that we shouldnt be value. The government only recognise and promote Igbo language, where igbo language is being taught in every basic and post primary schools in the state. I remember in my primary school days in village where the teachers(IBOS) normally constrain us not to speak Igala in forecorner of school,is either we speak Igbo or English. In the government media companies; Abs 1 & 2 radio, Abs awka tv, Abs onitsha tv, purity radio, Nta awka tv, Nta onitsha tv and many other private radio and tv stations in Anambra. Out of all these media companies only one station allow Igala language that is Abs 2. And the programme takes 10mins only in a day with just two occurance in a week. We have two languages in Anambra; Igbo and Igala. The government need to help and promote our language. I think inferiority complex is affecting our young ones due to the fact that the language is not being promoted to people of Anambra. If we are conversing in our language maybe in any of the major cities in anambra, the igbos around normally refer us as foreigner in the state because many never know that we are full blooded Anambrian. Imagine commissioner of information,tourism & culture(now former) Hon. Maja Umeh saying in a live interveiw that he did not know that igala is in anambra. We have also had discrimination mostly people from anambra central&south,enugu,abia,imo claiming that we are not anambrian. I want to use this medium to appeal to government of anambra state. If it will be possible to appoint two or three igala indigene as commissioner or any appointive position. Secondly to charge the medias to employ igalas to enable them create a programme where the language will be desseminate to people.
move over to kogi, u ediot

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 8:01am On Oct 12, 2014
Rajosh:
I'm igala from kogi state. I never knew anambra had igala as well.
now you know....thanks to NL!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by saintneo(m): 8:02am On Oct 12, 2014
JonBee1:

Mr. metaphorical interpreter you are displaying a classical case of "STOCKHOLM SYNDROME"
And quit concocting lies the IGALAs never have IGBO ancestry.
All they ask for is for you to stop imposing your language/culture in school. A lot a little respect on TV/Radio airtime and reflecting the Igala component of the Anambra community in government at least 2-5% (abi una no dey clamour for deputy governor slot for Lagos, Lagos even give Igbo Commisioner sef) as indigenes (not tenant) of Anambra state.

Stockholm Syndrome
Where is the hostage situation

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ACM10: 8:02am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
Thanks for understanding, I have never get any discrimination from any part in Igboland. But what am saying is that our young one now prefer speaking igbo language to Igala language and i also give my illustration in my former post. The reason why its so is that our language is not being promoted to people in anambra. That is why i blame the government media companies for not creating igala programmes in their stations. Creating igala programme will help tell the people to know that igala exist in anambra. Also appointing igala indigene as commissioner will also help too. How about federal character principle- equity and fairness. Lets leave orient and oil for now but if u went to Otuocha you are still far from aguleri otu where the oil is located. Just go and confirm by yourself.

@ Jonbee1, did you read the quote above. Why are you detractors chasing shadows? We have never discriminated against the minority in our midst. As a matter of fact, we embrace them. Anambra state does not have such policy.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by noblejames: 8:03am On Oct 12, 2014
new2020:

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. My point is Igalas and Igbos are bothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less thn 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners.
That is why people from cross River and Akwa Ibom succeeds in Igboland, they are always at home. All Akwa ibom citizens that I have met in abroad have greater understanding of who Igbos are and are always there as brothers. They see Igbos as their own unlike people from Rivers state especially the Ikweres who dislike Igbos though they speak Igbo language and answer Igbo names. The hostility from Rivers state knows no boundary sometime I wonder why? Think the people of Rivers state should learn from Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers…. The fact is that you cannot differentiate Igbos from the rest south south people. That was why Nyako called Jonathan an Igboman. And truly he an Igboman just like the way we regard anybody from north hausa.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 12, 2014
Amadaz:
my friend, you're in igbo land not igalla land!
CORRECTION!
He is Igalla living in the political-geography called Anambra

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by JOETYNO: 8:03am On Oct 12, 2014
What is Igala doing in my State?

Honestly I neva knew we have Igala in Anambra oh!!!

But U guys are minority and minorities don't complain
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 12, 2014
Poster wants igalas to get 2 or 3 commissioner posts on d basis of 5 percent population. Funny guy. If you guys get 1 position it's fair enough. Or else you get carved back into kogi state cheesy carry your oil along with you. Before we knew of your existence an anambra adigo mma cheesy tongue

7 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 12, 2014
Amuga:
I got to know about the igala speaking part (Anambra west) during my service year in Awka. I was a onyekusi (teacher) and a student in my ppa was bearing an igala name but claim to be an igbo. I confronted him and told him to tell his dad that he is an igala and not igbo.
To summarise the story, he came to school with the dad next day. The man was even having igala tribal mark and speaks igala fluently.

Only few are appreciative the beauty of diversity. Nature is abound with diversity. It teaches it. Please respect the others!
You are a truth bearer! The universe is proud of you. Bless you

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 12, 2014
zeroshadow:
Language is an important part of a culture don't kill it.

www.earnnaija..com

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 12, 2014
ifeanyi83:
I guess these issues are common with border towns. I hear some parts of kwara state have it's population speaking Hausa...these are the things that should bind us together because as it seems, one way or the other, we are all connected to one another. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 8:10am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:

ABS read news in Igala after Igbo news. Get your facts right. NTA is not under state control. But do you think that there is a conscious effort to suppress Igala language in Anambra? Hell NO! On the contrary, we promote it. Unlike Yoruba and Hausa that are actively suppressing the minority languages in their midst.
which of the abs, awka or Onitsha. I bet it's only abs Onitsha that does cos igalas are recognized in Anambra North senatorial district as an integral part of us but I bet you that abs awka has zero igala content in her programs same goes to nta awka and purity FM.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Gucciboss: 8:11am On Oct 12, 2014
@bencobenz. You must have served there in 2000 not presently. Even the OP did not complain about infrastructural neglect but language. Stop painting an old picture of the place. There was a time when there was no road anywhwere in Anambra state but not presently. Alot did change under PETER OBI. Now get back to the same bus and confirm for yourself.

7 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:

@ Jonbee1, did you read the quote above. Why are you detractors chasing shadows? We have never discriminated against the minority in our midst. As a matter of fact, we embrace them. Anambra state does not have such policy.

So why are you guys push back?
What do you (and your folks) have against Klinee's submission
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by rhymz(m): 8:15am On Oct 12, 2014
HisMajesty1:
I studied Mass Commucation in Kogi state university. I can say I almost spent my four years there educating fellow students and lecturers alike that there are igalas in Anambra state and I'm even one. Most of them there do not even know except elderly people from idah and ibaji axis. I also had to learn their igala dialect there which is 80% a far cry from what we speak and understand especially for a Lagos born and bred like me. I'm very sure we will get more recognition in Anambra soonest as a paramount ruler of all the igala speaking communities have recently been appointed in the person of Igwe Pius Omachonu, being an influential man in the political circus over there.
Chineke!!!! Pius Omachonu is the name of my class mate in St Finbarrs College..... I did not know the boy was igala (not that I knew anything about igala minorities in Anambra then) but the guy obviously flowed more with Igbo and Calabar and a South South guys than any other tribe...... Wow..... It is possible the igwe is his uncle.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 12, 2014
saintneo:

Stockholm Syndrome
Where is the hostage situation

Their language have been held hostage. Igbo being used as a medium of communication in schools in Igala Community of Anambra is a classical HOSTAGE SITUATION.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 8:17am On Oct 12, 2014
roxell120:
plz plz,those companies are in business.they consider the population of d target audience.do u know how many people dat will switch off their tv wen d program starts in igala.they are not meant to plz everyone.from ur village facing north igala get muscle dat side nah
Sir, your post smacks of the basest form of ignorance... we're talking of government owned and sponsored agencies and not some capitalist venture. SMH!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 12, 2014
01karma:
.. Op abeg stop talking that nonsense jor. Do you know that there are some igbos who are part of other non speaking igbo state who want to be united with their brother?? Let do trade by bater. You go back, they come back. cheesy

Instead of you to be thinking on how to go back to kogi, you want to continue been a minority?

see let me tell you, in the next 10years if care is not taken, you guys would be Igbonized in Anambra state and no trace, i mean no trace of your cultural existance would be found. I am from Enugu state and i feel for my people who are not part of the larger igbo community and i believe one day we would be united again.

please better think of going back to kogi instead of claming to be an Amanbra preson. We all know you are not, maybe when you guys are igbonized, we will now accept you tongue

Hitler have spoken.
All hail the Fuhrer!
Let us segregate them. They are not Anambra enough. Not even Igbo what a shame.
Maybe you can build a n apartheid wall around them like the one in West Bank to keep them out of the mainstream Anambra (o ye from the tribe of Judah)
Maybe we adopt the FINAL SOLUTION and exterminate them so that "no trace of your cultural existance would be found."
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Cross007: 8:20am On Oct 12, 2014
Igalla ?? Anambra?? Okay ooo
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by boboLIL(m): 8:21am On Oct 12, 2014
Don't no igala is in anambra. Oo....copy dah post send am to Obiano cos me na to just read and smile
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 12, 2014
Igala's in Anambra should inform the government that they would like to join their brothers in kogi state unless the Igbo's will continue to oppress you people.

A retarde'd igala man is governor of kogi state, he will gladly welcome his brothers with open arms and a double plus for his cos of the crude oil --- and trust the greedy Igbo's not to allow y'all go cos of that same crude oil.

Mwtcheeeeeeeew!

More so, Anambra's are fake Igbos hehehehe, breeze don blow, fowl yansh don open.

Anambra's should respect their igala ancestry and admit it and respect the very few Igalas who maintained their language.

The first page of this thread, shows the similarity in the Igala and Anambra Igbo language.

Anambra's, seek the truth!!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ACM10: 8:28am On Oct 12, 2014
Blitz888:
which of the abs, awka or Onitsha. I bet it's only abs Onitsha that does cos igalas are recognized in Anambra North senatorial district as an integral part of us but I bet you that abs awka has zero igala content in her programs same goes to nta awka and purity FM.

Why are you contradicting yourself? In a twinkle of an eye, you have recognised that ABS Onitsha broadcasts some news contents in Igala. Now you want ABS Awka to follow suit even when Igala communities does not receive their signal. Please find something else to say.

7 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 12, 2014
When these people leave their communities and move inland to the urban areas such as Enugu and Onitsha, they blend in effortlessly with the Igbo population. Because they speak Igbo and many of them bear Igbo names, it is hard to suspect that they may have a different pedigree. I was friends with one guy at UNIZIK for years. I took his Igboness for granted, based on his name and his mastery of the Igbo language. Until we attended his father's burial at Odekpe and realised they spoke a different language.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ACM10: 8:32am On Oct 12, 2014
JonBee1:

So why are you guys push back?
What do you (and your folks) have against Klinee's submission

We push back your lies and distortions. What is your interest in this issue? You mischief maker

8 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by rhymz(m): 8:32am On Oct 12, 2014
Blitz888:
I am from Umunya in Oyi LGA of Anambra State. I am fluent in Igbo and igala. I can relate to the plight of the OP perfectly. we from Anambra North Senatorial district don't discriminate against the igalas. infact, they have been with us so long that we can't even tell who is igala. it's only unfortunate that other parts of Anambra State discriminate against them...thank God we now have a Sitting governor from the Anambra North senatorial district who we hope will address this injustice done to the Anambra igalas,the senatorial district and the entire omambala people which happen to be the region that generates the highest igr, that generates the highest agricultural produce for the state and also the reason why Anambra State can rightly be called an oil producing State. The Anambra igalas are not tenants in Anambra state, they are not inferior or less anambrarian to the man from Onitsha, nnewi, awka or any other part of Anambra state. they are bonafide indegenes of the state and as such are entitled to every right and privilege accorded any Anambrarian.
this is exactly what I want to read from any of the igbo - igala people in Anambra state. Don't sound like you are begging for rights, you are who you are with no apologies to anyone whether from awka or onitsha.... The task of promoting the igala language and culture rely largely on the hands of the igala - igbo people in those areas not necessarily the government, at least for now.

I usually tell my Yoruba friends in Lagos wey wan Yan anyhow unto say I be omo igbo, the only difference between you and I claims to this Lagos is the fact that you are from another Yoruba state and can hide under that to tell me leave Lagos for you.... But if you mess up on my property, na the same real Lagos Yoruba boys I go take beat you enter your grave..... Lol

15 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 12, 2014
cheruv:
mmm...does kogi broadcast news in Igbo for kogite Igbos?? undecided
anyway its good knowing igalas there speak Igbo but all that remains is for them to be Igbonized..after all they're descendants of Igala warriors left after the atta Igala was defeated at lake Omeluigala.

God bless Igbo land smiley
but all that remains is for them (Igbo) to be Islamized..after all they're descendants of Igbo warriors left after the Ojukwu was defeated in 1969.
Maybe Hausa Fulani should Hausanise Igboland. How about that for a fair exchange

tabletman1:
Op.
Igala communities made up only 2% of anambra population and not 5%......
Have u not asked yourself why the government refuse to explore the oil at Nzam ? Its because you people will still cry to join kogi state even if we build a new city for your igala brothers....
Who are the WE? care to explain?

christopher123:

You are an ingrate
You should be contented Ob your tenancy in anambra and just assimilate to the mainstream culture....

You have two options
Yi assimilate
Or cross the river back to igalla....

Dumb! He is not on your land. So he's not your tenant. He doesn't have to migrate anywhere cos he's already in Igalla (the land is Igalas', not yours).
You must recognise that and stand up for their right.

What about the 3rd option...KILL'EM ALL!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 12, 2014
Understand what I am saying, I said PERSONALLY I have not seen an Igboman born in 60s that has a non-Igbo surname

eleko1:
What has someone surname got to do being a bonafide igbo man? What do u say about a who bear Julius as Surname,speak Igbo dialect but from ONDO state.How would U identify his background/lineage?
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by passion007: 8:39am On Oct 12, 2014
Double post
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by leo1234(m): 8:40am On Oct 12, 2014
tabletman1:
I don't even know my senatorial district but I am from Nnewi south LGA you people are far too small to exceed 2%, have u been to normal anambra community during xmas? Have u even been to aguleri(otucha) your neighboring community during xmas and see the much population there? Orient are also doing their thing at aguleri, so don't make it seem like if they are drilling only the oil at nzam.

#TeamNnewisouth#
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 12, 2014
Emyogalanya:
Come o which odekpe are you talking about i hope not the one i come from in ogbaru cos no igala in my villa na because we allow you to come at our festival cos ur ppl say you have our kind of masquerade that has not been verified

I was in Odekpe for a funeral in 2009. The natives were speaking a language that i couldn't make sense of. I thought that was Igala.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.