Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Igala Language In Anambra State. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala Language In Anambra State. (86731 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / The Igala People In Anambra State / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Daluuzor(m): 8:44am On Oct 12, 2014
christopher123:

This guy should go back to kogi and leave anambra for us.its unfortunate anambra are no push over.

They are just pseudo igbos

And who are you to say that? you don't own Anambra, you are just lucky to b born Anambra, you met Anambra, Anambra did not meet you.
Egbe belu, Ugo belu, nke si ibe ya ebela, nku kwapu ya.
Live and let them live.
Udo.

11 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by eleko1: 8:44am On Oct 12, 2014
I quite understand U,that U haven't meet/come across or seen Igbo-man born in late 60s doesn't meaaaan they aren't exist.What do U have to say about 'male' who changed their name?
adeitoro:
Understand what I am saying, I said PERSONALLY I have not seen an Igboman born in 60s that has a non-Igbo surname

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by vajose1: 8:44am On Oct 12, 2014
Hmmm..quite educating. Didn't know that Igalas existed in Anambra. God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:

We push back your lies and distortions. What is your interest in this issue? You mischief maker

NO! You push back on fairness, respect, diversity & Inclusion.
Now we know your interest on this issue. You tribalist, bigot and oppressor.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by passion007: 8:48am On Oct 12, 2014
For the sake of history, the Igalas arrived the Igbo borderlands in the 18th century. With their military strength, they took control of some towns, and power once acquired, was maintained via their priests or attamahs. So much so that Queen (or King as she preferred to be called) Ahebi Ugbabe was installed as Eze by the Attah of Igala at Idah to rule over Enugwu Ezike. The Igala have variously been said to be blood relations of the Igbo. Many historians propound this possibility. The OP has missed the fact that many Igala families have taken Igbo wives, and this, while completely indeliberate, is fortuitous as the Igbo runs a matrilineal society. In fact, Shelton wrote that Igboland suffered an internal "colonization" by the Igala, but before long, the "colonization" came to an abrupt end as the Igbos provided elegant wives for their captors smiley , married them and enculturated (abi acculturated) them. Today, it is no surprise that many Igalas have no qualms being Igbo. Not to mention the many Igbos who have lost track of the fact that they ever were of Igala stock

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by iknowwhoiam: 8:49am On Oct 12, 2014
My brother if what you wrote
Klinee:
" ME: John kayi dee? JOHN: nnaa! Udo di,ME: kabe enale? JOHN: nnaa! Ka munwa fu madu ebaa."
is what transpired then your dialect is a variant of Igbo and by extension Igala as a whole is a subset of Igbo.

adeitoro:
Even what you spoke to mr John in your conversation is Igbo language that can be easily understood by any Igboman, and saying that [quote author=Klinee post=26908605] That is igala language not igbo
is a bit mischievous and that I think is living in denial just like Ikwere.

kayi dee - keka idi (onitsha urban igbo)
kabe enale - kabe inaga (onitsha urban igbo)
has made a corollary which I belief is the perfect analogy.

Let me explain further. We have so many dialects that make up Igbo language. I stand to be corrected, no village/community in Igbo land have the same dialect. We have hundreds of dialects and for us to communicate effectively we use central Igbo which is a combination of different dialects in Igbo. No single village/community can lay claim to it.

Let me digress a little. Am from Amaigbo in Imo state, we are bordered by Nkwere, Isu, Amandugba and Amaku, we have different dialect though from from an outsider perspective, it is the same dialect, by the way, I grew up in the village so I know what writing about. When we gather in school, we know who is who. My surname is unique to my local and other people from Igbo land find difficult to pronounce it much less comprehending it albeit that the same name with the same meaning with different pronunciation as used in other parts of Igbo land.

When am with people from my area I speak my dialect and when I am with other Igbo's I speak central Igbo, and I belief this applies to every other Igbo person.

I can understand what you wrote "kayi dee?, kabe enale?"more than Ohafia/Nsuka/Abariba/most parts of Enugu, ,Ebonyi and Anambara state dialects. I can understand Ikwere, Igbo Delta and other parts of Nigeria who are seriously disowning their Igbo heritage without straining my ears.

I think your dialect is been over recognizance for it to be in ABS radio2 Onitsha considering the percentage (2% or 5%) of your population in Anambra State. My candid advice to you is to maintain your dialect, speak it amongst yourselves, in your village meetings and gathering. If other sub-groupings in Igbo will start glamouring for their dialects to be recognize with the way you are pushing yours, then there will be chaos. Let it be.

Anyway I don't blame you, I will blame those where in an office in Lagos, took a map and draw random lines dividing tribes and communities for their own selfish end.

12 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 12, 2014
soonest:
@op, are u guys igalas or igbos? This thread has really educated me. I didn't know we had igala language in Anambra
am still wondering, how manage? who brought them there? and why ar they in anambara state angry

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by tabletman1: 9:01am On Oct 12, 2014
princeunugwa:
So is that why Anambra is claiming the oil reserve in ibaji? Or is it actually in Anambra territory?
The oil reserve is at Aguleri-otu, Anambra forest reserve to be precise.

Orient has already started operation drill the oil, so we are no longer claiming what is already ours

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by tabletman1: 9:03am On Oct 12, 2014
mumuguyman:
My brother, imagine... Nzam as a matter of fact is d smallest town in Anambra west. Oroma-Etiti, Umuem, Mmiata, Umueze Anam, Umuikwu, Umudora and Umuoba is far bigger than Nzam... So what is your point? I like your update anyways but don't lie about the size/population of ur town
Are you from that side?

Pls help me educate the Op that Igala are not upto 5% of anambra population.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by cheruv: 9:03am On Oct 12, 2014
JonBee1:

but all that remains is for them (Igbo) to be Islamized..after all they're descendants of Igbo warriors left after the Ojukwu was defeated in 1969.
talking arrant nonsense!!
your comment is what we can expect from an Igbo hater..
why don't you find yourself a better job than poking your nose in affairs concerning the great Igbo nation?? undecided
obsession with anything Igbo/Biafra kills!!!

7 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 12, 2014
christopher123:

This guy should go back to kogi and leave anambra for us.its unfortunate anambra are no push over.

They are just pseudo igbos

Give me one reason why you think you own the state more than he do?

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 9:05am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:

Why are you contradicting yourself? In a twinkle of an eye, you have recognised that ABS Onitsha broadcasts some news contents in Igala. Now you want ABS Awka to follow suit even when Igala communities does not receive their signal. Please find something else to say.
Bro, you miss the point..... are there no Anambra igalas living in other parts of Anambra let's say awka for instance? I live in yenagoa and was so shocked to hear them broadcast in Igbo on their state owned radio.. I guess you can't connect with what I felt that day in a state where Igbo is not an indigenous language and I hear it's a norm here in yenagoa. in all fairness to the government of Anambra state more needs to be done for the igalas amongst us but the greater responsibility lies with them... nobody will place a higher premium on you than what you've placed on yourself.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Kruzilano(m): 9:07am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
I think the government of Anambra state is not doing well to Igala language just as they do to Igbo language. I know that we are minority language in Anambra with about 5% of the population. It dosnt mean that we shouldnt be value.
is it d work of th anambra state gov to hlp keep ur language? First, wat are u guys doing in anambra state? Kano is a northern state with igbos occupying the largest LGA, but the media over dia do not even recognise our language(igbo). U are questioning someone in his home why isn't he recognising ur lang. I laff u in igaala

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Arcard(m): 9:09am On Oct 12, 2014
mehn na nw I dy kn say we get anoda tribe for anambra, we r all from anambra kpomwem
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Amadaz(m): 9:09am On Oct 12, 2014
JonBee1:

CORRECTION!
He is Igalla living in the political-geography called Anambra
then he should pack his bags and leave to a political geography called igalla

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by chiboy11(m): 9:11am On Oct 12, 2014
I love dis part,ure Ibo n most essp we re Nigerian, I understand ure more concern about being in d main stream,@ 5% like u said u pple can stil set up a radio station dier dat wilte pple n speak ur language,Orient is @ur back yard even b4 dat start driling u guys wud ve Told dem to extablish a radio station 4u pple,everytin al boils down to som corupt pple in ur place, Am Igbo n ure Igbo n we re 100% Nigerian,dats wat matas most. Cheers

Klinee:
Why asking me about kogi state? Am not kogi so i can't tell about kogi.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Emyogalanya: 9:13am On Oct 12, 2014
Come o which odekpe are you talking about is it my village in ogbaru or another one ur ppl are only allowed during offor festival cos you lied that you have our kind of masquerade but there're not indigen that is igala speaking by birth from anibueze, isiora, okpaika, to ogbe-etiti stop claiming idekeland
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Octaves(m): 9:14am On Oct 12, 2014
Chai! You don't have to b harsh na. @ op I learnt of the igalla existence in anambra about 2 years ago. But i don't think it's discrimination. It's more about proportionality b/w the % of the population and radio air time which i think is done without consciously trying to undermine ur surpress any group.
christopher123:

You are an ingrate

You should be contented Ob your tenancy in anambra and just assimilate to the mainstream culture

To you realise that Igbo is in Benue and they ate fighting yo go back to their brothers in Enugu

You have two options

Yi assimilate
Or cross the river back to igalla

But don't worry Igbo and igalla have historic relationship
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Emyogalanya: 9:15am On Oct 12, 2014
Stop claiming my odekpe in ogbaru there's no igala by birth from my villa
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Emdee590(m): 9:17am On Oct 12, 2014
I happy hearing that we gat igala in that state ooo...it am from Idah [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 12, 2014
Amadaz:
my friend, you're in igbo land not igalla land!

Illiteracy at its peak.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Revolva(m): 9:20am On Oct 12, 2014
omonuan:
Igala and Igbo have had cordial inter relationships over the centuries. In Anioma area of Delta state, you have Igala people in Ebu who are also fluent in Igbo. Many families in Asaba and Illah migrated from Igala so are some families in Onitsha. Igbo people are an almalgam of immigrants from other cultures who may or may not be assimilated by the larger Igbo groups.

New2020 is correct, Igbo is the only tribe native to all the South South states. From Igbanke in Edo down to all the other states in the zone. There are Igala people in Edo state too. Igarra people in Edo actually speak Igala language.
sorry bro igarra is a tribe on its own that is Akoko edo people and they dont speak Igala...yes there is Igala in Edo...same type of border that borders Ibaji/kogi to edo..ok..just as you can find dem in Nzam which borders the other side of kogi..ok...I am an igalan by tribe ..i share border with edo state...ok my descendant are from idah in kogi state because thats where we all igalas are from...i can claim kogi state..why i ave refused to claim edo state is because..when ever you telll the wider nigerians that you are edo state they call you benin person..and start saying you are benin..all these benin people..sef...but i am igala oo ..so my best option for my brothers in anambra.the ones that are adults should claim kogi state indegiene but the new generation ones are gonna be assimilated to be igbos in the next 2oyrs...

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 12, 2014
JonBee1:

Mr. metaphorical interpreter you are displaying a classical case of "STOCKHOLM SYNDROME"
And quit concocting lies the IGALAs never have IGBO ancestry.
All they ask for is for you to stop imposing your language/culture in school. A lot a little respect on TV/Radio airtime and reflecting the Igala component of the Anambra community in government at least 2-5% (abi una no dey clamour for deputy governor slot for Lagos, Lagos even give Igbo Commisioner sef) as indigenes (not tenant) of Anambra state.

I only debate my intellectual equals until then, I can only teach you!! Learn to use the phrase "Stockholm Syndrome" correctly, otherwise you will continue to make a blatant fool of yourself. It has virtually nothing to do in the context of this discussion.

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Arcard(m): 9:26am On Oct 12, 2014
Revolva:

sorry bro igarra is a tribe on its own that is Akoko edo people and they dont speak Igala...yes there is Igala in Edo...same type of border that borders Ibaji/kogi to edo..ok..just as you can find dem in Nzam which borders the other side of kogi..ok...I am an igalan by tribe ..i share border with edo state...ok my descendant are from idah in kogi state because thats where we all igalas are from...i can claim kogi state..why i ave refused to claim edo state is because..when ever you telll the wider nigerians that you are edo state they call you benin person..and start saying you are benin..all these benin people..sef...but i am igala oo ..so my best option for my brothers in anambra.the ones that are adults should claim kogi state indegiene but the new generation ones are gonna be assimilated to be igbos in the next 2oyrs...
guy u r nt making sense on d anambra igalans to claim kogi y dy r in anambra
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 12, 2014
Emyogalanya:
Come o which odekpe are you talking about i hope not the one i come from in ogbaru cos no igala in my villa na because we allow you to come at our festival cos ur ppl say you have our kind of masquerade that has not been verified

Insecurity is bad for your health... And pls get formal education. You need it badly.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by tabletman1: 9:32am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:
. But I must caution you that Anambra can not give Igalas political office based on their tribe. We don't practice zoning and federal character system in Anambra. People are picked for political offices based on merit. Igala meje. .
This is what I told the Op, But johnbee1 choose to misinterpret me,

Johnbee1 the idiot, Ansg cannot promote the igala Language without the help of those Igala communities at Anambra. They have to organize themselves and meet with Abs and other radio and Tv station, they should create a programme that will be display atleast 2hours daily just to create awareness. They have a fight to do but it seems they are just comfortable with the present situation.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Revolva(m): 9:37am On Oct 12, 2014
Arcard:
guy u r nt making sense on d anambra igalans to claim kogi y dy r in anambra
look its just a border thing..they are located in the border ok..ibaji south area and anambra north.....also enugu axis also you can find such with idomas also......not that the igalans are in the widely anambra.....thats is why most people still dont know that there are igalas in anambra..state..those town are very deprived town forgotten by the government...and only fishing activities go on there and if i were from that part of anambra which luckily i am not....cos those places are close to my village...on the other side of edo bordder....the truth thats we are all from Idah...by ancestry.. and the Attah of Igalla welcomes any one who is Igalan by heritage to visit the palace and mingle with their kinsmen....so my advise thay should claim kogi state or ever be assimilated and their igala language will be vanished in the nearest future

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igala_people

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 9:40am On Oct 12, 2014
Kruzilano:
is it d work of th anambra state gov to hlp keep ur language? First, wat are u guys doing in anambra state? Kano is a northern state with igbos occupying the largest LGA, but the media over dia do not even recognise our language(igbo). U are questioning someone in his home why isn't he recognising ur lang. I laff u in igaala
the hausas are nothing like the igbos. religion takes precedence to the hausas before cultural and political affiliation.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Emyogalanya: 9:42am On Oct 12, 2014
emmyrichie:

INSECURITY bad for your health... And pls get FORMAL EDUCATION. You need it badly.
can you explain insecurity on my part and formal education on ur part
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by saintneo(m): 9:45am On Oct 12, 2014
JonBee1:

Their language have been held hostage. Igbo being used as a medium of communication in schools in Igala Community of Anambra is a classical HOSTAGE SITUATION.
You make laugh! (Mortal Kombat voice)
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Paretomaster(m): 9:48am On Oct 12, 2014
Where does Igala really come from, they are dragging everything with Ebira in Kogi, with other tribes in Benue, now they claim to be in Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 12, 2014
passion007:
For the sake of history, the Igalas arrived the Igbo borderlands in the 18th century. With their military strength, they took control of some towns, and power once acquired, was maintained via their priests or attamahs. So much so that Queen (or King as she preferred to be called) Ahebi Ugbabe was installed as Eze by the Attah of Igala at Idah to rule over Enugwu Ezike. The Igala have variously been said to be blood relations of the Igbo. Many historians propound this possibility. The OP has missed the fact that many Igala families have taken Igbo wives, and this, while completely indeliberate, is fortuitous as the Igbo runs a matrilineal society. In fact, Shelton wrote that Igboland suffered an internal "colonization" by the Igala, but before long, the "colonization" came to an abrupt end as the Igbos provided elegant wives for their captors smiley , married them and enculturated (abi acculturated) them. Today, it is no surprise that many Igalas have no qualms being Igbo. Not to mention the many Igbos who have lost track of the fact that they ever were of Igala stock
please somebody should blow this m0r0n's head off

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.