Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96930 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by macjireh: 7:39pm On Oct 13, 2014
Alright.people lets leave this childish thread and come over to the matured thread below lets talk

https://www.nairaland.com/1945881/engineering-vs-medicine-which-more-expensive
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Ephhay(f): 7:40pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:

Am higher dan the clouds ryt nw
Perfect!!!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by bayulll01(m): 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2014
most of it are yoruba words use daily as slang so op u well who ever think this is an English words need to visit around just like the op
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by amd4598(m): 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2014
Abi na
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hello everyone, i have found a great site to get free airtime,and connect with student. i have tried the website and its working. Just visit this link : http://2goface.com/invite?ref=Netoc65 #2goface
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by xtervaganza(m): 7:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.
who in this world thought those words were English?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kunlesehan(m): 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
ebdib:

WHOEVER THINKS THESE WORDS ARE LEGIT ENGLISH WORDS AND NOT MERE NIGERIAN LINGUISTIC COLLOQUIALISM DIDNT GET AN EDUCATION
it beats me how anyone would've thought these words are English.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
macjireh:

OP na waa 4 u o, Y do u think thoss are English word, some of those words are of yoruba origin and mostly used in lagos like eiya, shey, joor are Yoruba exclamations. mind u, no Pidgin English word fell from d sky, they must have an origin if u do ur research properly.
for instance, we use
sofri for softly
waa for wow
halla for holla or holler
ehen for hmmm
and many more
the origin does not matter bro. so many English words are of Latin origin. akin is of yoruba origin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Ladybluecash(f): 7:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
SHEBI u asked me to bring it....
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by olagockay(m): 7:50pm On Oct 13, 2014
AdamuUcheOla:
The word "installementally/installmentally" is a perfect example of a word Nigerians think is an English word. It however isn't.

I used it a few times in a meeting with non-Nigerians and noticed a couple of weird looks of confusion. A few weeks afterwards, my Oga came to ask me what the word meant. undecided

Modified to include the alternative spelling of the Nigerian word :-)
I could av sworn dat word ws English. Its French i guess
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2014
ebdib:

WHOEVER THINKS THESE WORDS ARE LEGIT ENGLISH WORDS AND NOT MERE NIGERIAN LINGUISTIC COLLOQUIALISM DIDNT GET AN EDUCATION
yeah, they are getting educated/enlightened about it on here. we also learn outside d class room u know
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Yello1(m): 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2014
"baa" example she sed so baa?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by btoks: 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2014
English language has developed over time and continues to pull in new words.if this colloquial use in naija is kept up with and we become more important in the world the words might just become accepted generally.

I think some people still say - in case of incasity (for necessity.)

In india words like lakh and crore are accepted as part of numbering in english.they also use the Word 'updation'.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by sage2(m): 7:58pm On Oct 13, 2014
And why would you be sympathetic to someone who just got robbed by mere "armed rubber"? Would you rather they encounter armed robbers?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kennethco(m): 7:59pm On Oct 13, 2014
finally it made front page grin. My nose is very correct
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Izmil(m): 7:59pm On Oct 13, 2014
kellyJames5:
Eleyi gidi gan!
Please don't ask me the meaning because I don't know ni

It means dis wan is strong
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tylesh(f): 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
Shebi....
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
sage2:
And why would you be sympathetic to someone who just got robbed by mere "armed rubber"? Would you rather they encounter armed robbers?
sleep of fingers! typo!!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kennethco(m): 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
finally it made front page grin. My nose is very correct
*winks*
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by MEILYN(m): 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
sage2:
grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
Ephhay:
Perfect!!!
Chai,now i knw my enemies on nairaland,if na yr bf wud u hv sed perfect?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 8:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
SmellMyFart:
try and read it over again. Laughter they say is the best medcine.

Just my rib cracker for the evening grin.

You get it now?
it didn't even make me smile not to talk of making me laugh
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2014
misshoree:
I hope yu did smoke it because its already on the front page
Do u hate me dt much?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Ephhay(f): 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:

Chai,now i knw my enemies on nairaland,if na yr bf wud u hv sed perfect?
Sure!!!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonismuller(m): 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2014
Richie0974:
Who doesn't know those words ain't English angry
I made ur likes 100....."Shey" you will pay me "ba"?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Truckpusher(m): 8:14pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.
Loads of craps.

Mode please take this topic to the trash can. angry

Yes! I said it. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by danduj(m): 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
"anyways" not "anyway"
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by buoye1(m): 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
SmellMyFart:
This people go just dey disturb person even on monday. Mtchewwww

"KNOCK KNOCK!"

ME: Who's there?

"Jehovah's Witness."

ME: Nobody dey house. angry

"But you just ans...."

ME: I SAY NOBODY DEY HOUSE!!angry This na their dog, Bingo!!!

grin
u jux made my day na nw.....1 mess 4 u joor

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
misshoree:
it didn't even make me smile not to talk of making me laugh
com'n. Are you a sadist? undecided.

If that post didn't make you laugh, then two Things i suspect.

1. You don't understand pidgin.

2. You're not in Nigeria. Even if you are, you probably are based in the north.

Permit me to add number 3,,,,
you're a sadist undecided

read the comment above this by the way.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by teenagetalks(f): 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nice
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
Truckpusher:
Loads of craps.

Mode please take this topic to the trash can. angry

Yes! I said it. angry
bro abeg park your truck well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.