Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96931 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by guvna(m): 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
What a post!!! Who on earth would think these words were English??

Okay, I believe the poster must be under the age of 7 years

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kcdojoto(m): 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2014
Me sef I follow comment for here sha
Eiya shey u know see comment abi?
Oya go now now read am joor
Mek I no Kukuma vex

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by timilehing(m): 7:21pm On Oct 13, 2014
Richie0974:
Who doesn't know those words ain't English angry
before nko

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by launrey(m): 7:21pm On Oct 13, 2014
na = offcourse
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by evmandy(f): 7:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
tongue#Yimu
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by onila(f): 7:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
i have never considered any broken english word to be english undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Ephhay(f): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:
If this useless thread make Fp i go smoke one full bowl of weed today
Beta start smokin d bowl of weed...
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by macjireh: 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

OP na waa 4 u o, Y do u think thoss are English word, some of those words are of yoruba origin and mostly used in lagos like eiya, shey, joor are Yoruba exclamations. mind u, no Pidgin English word fell from d sky, they must have an origin if u do ur research properly.
for instance, we use
sofri for softly
waa for wow
halla for holla or holler
ehen for hmmm
and many more

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:
your weed is ready bro
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by AdamuUcheOla: 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
dagbenga:
So who told u its not english ,may be u spelt it wrong but the "installmentally I know is pure english ,thank me later.

Installementally or Installmentally...both are not English words. Check a dictionary. If you Google you would notice that all sites where it appears are Nigerian sites. :-) wink

You wouldn't find 'instalmental' either. wink
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Bosville(m): 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
tomiobj:
lol. M waitn 4 u to cum for me legally. First find where I am gointo put it
Did u Just use D wORD "CUM" hehehehe
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by emmykk(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
Richie0974:
God bless your soul.

47likes for the op post,that show that mad men full nairaland
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by emmy02(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
OP, so even u been they think say na english words..........u fall my hand

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.
Human beans, its only people that are fond of corrupt english that uses these words.
Last Bullet
They are corrupted words from Nigerian languages, mostly Yoruba language.
Shey = Sé in Yoruba language which means 'will', Joor = Jo in Yoruba language which means 'please', Kukuma = Kuku, a Yoruba word that means rather.
I wonder how some people corrupted the word so much that people just type nonsense.
Smh for the upcoming generation

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by jutah(m): 7:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
I sha know say this thread is not a FP one. It's Ojoro the MOD is playing us..
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Shokoloko(f): 7:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
I dont think op is talking about people literally taking the words as english. What op is trying to say is these words are so ingrained including our speech that even when we are not speaking pidgin we use them.
We use them even in corporate workplaces. We use them in school. Even when we travel out of the country sometimes u forget and use those words.
So much that foreigners easily pick these words off us.
Thats the message op is trying to pass across
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Brakzy: 7:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
I was here
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
Ephhay:
Beta start smokin d bowl of weed...
Am higher dan the clouds ryt nw
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tuffgongjo(m): 7:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:
Hope u smoke A̶̲̥̅♏ Fa?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by akereconfi: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
how far

that shit is pidgin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Bibol(f): 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
dagbenga:
So who told u its not english ,may be u spelt it wrong but the "installmentally I know is pure english ,thank me later.

One funny thing about Nigerians. They will be wrong and still be feeling cool about it. Oga, it's pay "in installments". There's no word like installmentally. Now you can thank us.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
SmellMyFart:
This people go just dey disturb person even on monday. Mtchewwww

"KNOCK KNOCK!"

ME: Who's there?

"Jehovah's Witness."

ME: Nobody dey house. angry

"But you just ans...."

ME: I SAY NOBODY DEY HOUSE!!angry This na their dog, Bingo!!!

grin
I don't get your point
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by slap1(m): 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2014
Who thought these words were English anyway?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2014
Richie0974:
grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tuffgongjo(m): 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
your opinion. but dont you think this is not enough reason to say one is not intelligent. An "intelligent" dude like you might assume the word "akin" is not an english word on seeing it first. i hope i ve made a point. never condescend on peope...no one knows it all.
Chop knuckle for that KO.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
misshoree:
I don't get your point
try and read it over again. Laughter they say is the best medcine.

Just my rib cracker for the evening grin.

You get it now?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by frankezi: 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
tomiobj:
lol. M waitn 4 u to cum for me legally. First find where I am gointo put it

Lol. Abi u resemble linda ikeji 4 him hice? Tell am say you no dey fear google
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:
I hope yu did smoke it because its already on the front page
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by callonme(m): 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:
go shack now...amugbo jatijati
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
OP to god u mumu to think those words where ever english

MODIFIED: mod sef dey crase
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by MEILYN(m): 7:37pm On Oct 13, 2014
glitest:
"Haba" Which "Kain" topic "bi" this?

If I don't contest in 2015 Nigerians will be feeling one kyn one kyn cheesy.....
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 7:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
"Toh" used as a substitute for okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.