Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. (20234 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. / Violence And Christianity Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by chibwike(m): 9:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
musKeeto:

It is impossible. Wanderers keep walking until they find a place of rest. Mine was atheism.
You mean, she z a wanderer
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
pickabeau1:

Do u identify as atheist?
Yeah, I am atheist. I strongly dismiss all notions of God or a creator that exists outside this universe.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 9:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
BananaBender:
@Muskeeto: Have you read the book zealot?

MizMyColi: you should take a look at that book.

I wish I could get a place to get books that really suit where I'm at, here in lagos.

Not so sure of what to expect from the book.

What is all about please.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
chibwike:
You mean, she z a wanderer
Oh, yeah she is. And it is a wonderful journey. Somedays you think you have it, other days the darkness creeps in. The next day, you find yourself trying to 'UnCloth' God, make God make sense. It is fun really.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by pickabeau1: 9:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
musKeeto:

Yeah, I am atheist. I strongly dismiss all notions of God or a creator that exists outside this universe.

OK...fair enough.....at least you are not a religious bigot...lol

I really want to know how a belief in God can be bridged to one that calls Him a pie in the sky.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 9:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
Kay17:

I'm getting more curious by the minute, what substantiates your conviction in a God when you realised the old one of organised religion was a distorted one. Isn't it ideal, you have wipe your mind and make it a clean slate and open with the curiosity to explore and discover?

There, you have you answer. Honestly, I think I shouldn't have opened this thread in the first place cos it means I'm defending a God, I'm not so sure of - the God of the bible - the whole bible.

But I'm glad I did. Very Glad.

The one I'm sure of is the one who's introducing himself/itself.....right now.

I'm like a blank slate now, albeit, I'm wary of the things I'm taking in.
I try to avoid toxic people too, people who'll stop at noting to put me down, I'm still a baby y'know.....kind of cheesy.

Well, it's normal for humans, to abuse what they don't understand.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 16, 2014
musKeeto:

cool
Hey. Sup? I will check it out.

You should. It talks about Jesus as a revolutionary, and not a very peaceful one.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 9:52pm On Oct 16, 2014
chibwike:
miz, why dont you just go on break from all these religious stuff.....just get a little rest plz

Thanks Love.
Thanks for your concern.

I think I did take a break when I wrote those ramblings and bade those who were antagonizing me bye.

But mrpresident and kay17 brought me back.

I'm still conversing with Kay17 because, it feels sincere and honest and curious, unlike others.

Besides, I got some time to spare.

This is like a rite of passage of sorts for me.

Surprisingly, all these talks are clearing my perspective.......helping me understand people, things, self, more........

Eiisshhhhh, I've started with my epistles again. embarassed embarassed

While talking to you, a song keeps playing in my head.

You should listen to it (again)

Lea Michelle's Cannonball

grin grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

I wish I could get a place to get books that really suit where I'm at, here in lagos.

Not so sure of what to expect from the book.

What is all about please.

You can get it on Amazon.

This link gives an abstract of the book.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/books/reza-aslans-zealot-the-life-and-times-of-jesus-of-nazareth.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
BananaBender:

You should. It talks about Jesus as a revolutionary, and not a very peaceful one.

Hm! Leading a revolution against Caesar?
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by chibwike(m): 10:05pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

Thanks Love.
Thanks for your concern.

I think I did take a break when I wrote those ramblings and bade those who were antagonizing me bye.

But mrpresident and kay17 brought me back.

I'm still conversing with Kay17 because, it feels sincere and honest and curious, unlike others.

Besides, I got some time to spare.

This is like a rite of passage of sorts for me.

Surprisingly, all these talks are clearing my perspective.......helping me understand people, things, self, more........

Eiisshhhhh, I've started with my epistles again. embarassed embarassed

While talking to you, a song keeps playing in my head.

You should listen to it (again)

Lea Michelle's Cannonball

grin grin
u re typing with a laptop, or a phone
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Kay17: 10:17pm On Oct 16, 2014
I believe religions through rituals, try to tell a story of meaning. They try to tell with wonder how beautiful life is but to achieve that aim, they need an authority to confirm the meaning. Hence Gods are created to create a world of wonders and meaning, thereby making life worth living. Imagine if an omnipotent being such as God, finds within his blissful judgment a good reason for you to exist at all. That to many people is the ultimate affirmation of life; even though it begins with a lie.

However, rituals get tiring. The human mind through curiosity fosters a healthy skepticism, some of us find God too intimidating and too frozen in the times he was created. We create new ones - ourselves. i must admit I'm egocentric to a fault. the world revolves around me. The old God falls too quickly upon mild skepticism, my mortality renders me incomparable to the old God. Those are my troubles at least.

We need an atheist section.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
chibwike:
u re typing with a laptop, or a phone

Lolest, from 7pm upwards, I use my phone, sometimes, I use my laptop, that's if I feel like it.

Why d'ya ask?
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by chibwike(m): 10:40pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

Lolest, from 7pm upwards, I use my phone, sometimes, I use my laptop, that's if I feel like it.

Why d'ya ask?
u ve neva replied someone with 'ok', 'yes', or 'no'...before.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 10:51pm On Oct 16, 2014
chibwike:
u ve neva replied someone with 'ok', 'yes', or 'no'...before.

LoL

You want me replying you that way, I'm quite apt at it too grin

I has to work on it cause imo, it's somewhat dismissive.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by chibwike(m): 10:54pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

LoL

You want me replying you that way, I'm quite apt at it too grin

I has to work on it cause imo, it's somewhat dismissive.
very true...as a matter of fact....replying with that would only make you loose frnds...if someone replies me with those words...its over....
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
pickabeau1:

OK...fair enough.....at least you are not a religious bigot...lol

I really want to know how a belief in God can be bridged to one that calls Him a pie in the sky.
Bros Wait oo......

Why are you chasing after wind?

It's clear that you guys share different beliefs so how do you think they'd listen to you?

Remember this guys(Atheists) do not believe there is "God" and you do, so you people are different and cannot reason together.

I read a comment on here where an atheist said that "there is no God because if He existed, He would end suffering and never allow evil." and I wondered how he was able to know what's good and what's evil.

Oh yes! Because God alone can exhaust the definition of "absolutely good." If God does not exist, then there are no moral absolutes by which one has the right to judge something as being evil.

Y'see, I have tried to comment on this thread since its inception but it seems like one invincible force is pushing me away.

I have seen some comments that I would on normal post love to reply but I ignore them here. For a reason that I don't know.

I can tell you that heaven is running short of grace right now, just look at the way it's being shared Here.

Atheist don't like religionists, they believe every religionists is crazy and brainwashed. Religionists do not like atheists, they believe that atheists are confused and lost.

Thesame thing atheists hate about religionists, they do same to them.

Life is funny, I tell ya.

Stop pursuing this debate.

Owk...The op wants to imitate Jesus but she hates the God of old testament. I ain't saying nothing bro... Let's continue sharing the grace. Her own is a different case.

Pursuing this debate is just like trying to convince a homosexual that s/he wasn't born that way. It is useful as a hedgehog in a condom factory.

Do your thing and let them do their thing.

Until I'm able to be in all places at the same time - with a perfect knowledge of all that is in the universe, I would never say there is no God............

Because I will have to be omniscient and omnipresent to be able to say from my own pool of knowledge that there is no God.

Those who do not understand maths.

Say that maths is hard.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2014
chibwike:
very true...as a matter of fact....replying with that would only make you loose frnds...if someone replies me with those words...its over....

Okay.

One secret ish about me.

Except replying arguments, or in advising mode.
When I'm around people my spirit accepts, I tend to be talkative. In reality, I'm more reserved. But I can brrrrrrrrr other times.

LoL. Weird.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by pickabeau1: 11:04pm On Oct 16, 2014
No i did not intend to discuss with muskeeto

I had seen this thread from the day it was opened but was coming in and going out

I actually got piqued when i saw the OP say it was for christians() considering she does not identify herself as one

But thanks for the heads up

She has said she will not respond to any of my questions any further... so no issue

Tallesty1:
Bros Wait oo......

It's clear that you guys share different beliefs so how do you think they'd listen to you?

Remember this guys(Atheists) do not believe there is "God" and you do, so you people are different and cannot reason together.

I read a comment on here where an atheist said that "there is no God because if He existed, He would end suffering and never allow evil." and I wondered how he was able to know what's good and what's evil.

Oh yes! Because God alone can exhaust the definition of "absolutely good." If God does not exist, then there are no moral absolutes by which one has the right to judge something as being evil.

Y'see, I have tried to comment on this thread since its inception but it seems like one invincible force is pushing me away.

I have seen some comments that I would on normal post love to reply but I ignore them here. For a reason that I don't know.

I can tell you that heaven is running short of grace right now, just look at the way it's being shared Here.

Atheist don't like religionists, they believe every religionists is crazy and brainwashed. Religionists do not like atheists, they believe that atheists are confused and lost.

Owk...The op wants to imitate Jesus but she hates the God of old testament. I ain't saying nothing bro... Let's continue sharing the grace. Her own is a different case.

Pursuing this debate is just like trying to convince a homosexual that s/he wasn't born that way. It is useful as a hedgehog in a condom factory.

Until I'm able to be in all places at the same time - with a perfect knowledge of all that is in the universe, I would never say there is no God............

Because I will have to be omniscient and omnipresent to be able to say from my own pool of knowledge that there is no God.

Say that maths is hard.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 11:20pm On Oct 16, 2014
pickabeau1:
No i did not intend to discuss with muskeeto

I had seen this thread from the day it was opened but was coming in and going out

I actually got piqued when i saw the OP say it was for christians() considering she does not identify herself as one

But thanks for the heads up

She has said she will not respond to any of my questions any further... so no issue
Owk...

If were close to the @OP outside here, I mean real life close friends, I will devout time to showing her something.

I will like to flash light on the two paths that are b4 her.

There are some truths she needs to know and some secrets she needs to understand.

It is her great learning that is giving her the confusion.

But I still trust her judgements.

You see, Most of this atheists have same story to tell. "I used to be a Christian but I was able to see the error in religion, I’m very intelligent, thus I know that belief in God and religion is irrational, superstitious, and unscientific. I am so glad that I was able to see the light and extricate myself from the idiocy that is religion. If only everyone could be so enlightened, the world would be a better place.”

Not knowing that "knowledge" is the real problem we have today.

So it almost impossible to convince them to accept your point because they already have knowledge of your religion and its teachings.

I don't always reply them because they think they have it all figured.

I sabi too much dey vex me pass anything.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by pickabeau1: 11:22pm On Oct 16, 2014
Well.... the atheists are clear.... their path is clear... no need for further discussion which yield nothing

Its the OP's seeming interest in trying to bridge the divide so to speak that is making me curious

Wish u d best in trying to understand what its all about

sounds new age to me...

Interestingly it is the atheists who have been more vocal in rejecting the so called melding of theism and atheism

Kay17 made some good points

Interestingly it all goes back to what she tries to deny in the OP

Projecting... projecting a father figure image to a God at variance to what is written in the Book

But what do i know?

Tallesty1:
Owk...

If were close to the @OP outside here, I mean real life close friends, I will devout time to showing her something.

I will like to flash light on the two paths that are b4 her.

There are some truths she needs to know and some secrets she needs to understand.

It is her great learning that is giving her the confusion.

But I still trust her judgements.

You see, Most of this atheists have same story to tell. "I used to be a Christian but I was able to see the error in religion, I’m very intelligent, thus I know that belief in God and religion is irrational, superstitious, and unscientific. I am so glad that I was able to see the light and extricate myself from the idiocy that is religion. If only everyone could be so enlightened, the world would be a better place.”

Not knowing that "knowledge" is the real problem we have today.

So it almost impossible to convince them to accept your point because they already have knowledge of your religion and its teachings.

I don't always reply them because they think they have it all figured.

I sabi too much dey vex me pass anything.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by uzolexis(f): 11:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:
Bros Wait oo......

Say that maths is hard.

a million likes for this comment especially the bolded...i like you....i like this
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Hm! Leading a revolution against Caesar?
Nahh!!!! Napoleon Bonaparte...These people keep talking as if Jesus Christ really existed sef.I just dey laugh
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:
Bros Wait oo......

Say that maths is hard.
Sir,let that 'invincible force' continue pushing you away from this thread you hear?.We demonic atheists don't want your kind here.Keep out or I'll chase you in your sleep tonight.Fuccking semi-illiterate at your age you can't tell the difference between 'good' and 'evil'?A 36 year old man rap.es and kills a 6 year old girl in your fuccked up head the man is 'good' yes?A woman burns her 9year old maids'(who should be in school by the way) buttocks with a hot plate.The woman is 'good' yes?For being an atheist, that automatically makes me 'evil' and you 'good' for being religious yes?Slave-minded mofo who lacks the ability to think for himself yet imps like him are putting up posts here saying 'I like you'.FOOOLS!!!!
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 11:42pm On Oct 16, 2014
traware:
Sir,let that 'invincible force' continue pushing you away from this thread you hear?.We demonic atheists don't want your kind here.Keep out or I'll chase you in your sleep tonight...fear fear
I can't remember typing this word.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 11:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
uzolexis:

a million likes for this comment especially the bolded...i like you....i like this
Thanks

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:51pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:
You did not 'type' the word but you clearly inferred the word in your first post.Don't play games with me mehn!!
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 11:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
Na wa o
Hmmph
(Big Sigh)

And to think that my real motive for creating this thread was as a reference of sorts.

See what it has turned into.

Please Traware, easy on the insults.
Surely you can make your point without attacking his person, thanks.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:
GADDAMN IT!!! Tallesty quit stalling!!! Come out and defend your posts!!! If you can but I know you ain't capable
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 12:10am On Oct 17, 2014
traware:
Fuccking semi-illiterate at your age you can't tell the difference between 'good' and 'evil'? A 36 year old man rap.es and kills a 6 year old girl in your fuccked up head the man is 'good' yes? A woman burns her 9year old maids'(who should be in school by the way) buttocks with a hot plate.The woman is 'good' yes? For being an atheist, that automatically makes me 'evil' and you 'good' for being religious yes? Slave-minded mofo who lacks the ability to think for himself yet imps like him are putting up posts here saying 'I like you'.FOOOLS!!!!
Now read your comment and tell me the difference between you and the founder of boko-harm. Everyone thinks the other who doesn't share thesame belief is a fool. And yet atheists claim they have been liberated.

Atheists reading your comment will be really disappointed in you.

I'm a semi-illiterate, slave minded and a fool because I'm a Christian. I lol'd.

If only you know whom you are quoting, tbh you wouldn't have wasted those insults.

I have something to tell you but that will be on your 18th birthday.

Grow up son.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 12:12am On Oct 17, 2014
Tallesty1 please, you don't have to reply any comment that's quite antagonizing.

Don't feel compelled to.

Please.

It's not worth it.
Trust me.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 12:13am On Oct 17, 2014
traware:
GADDAMN IT!!! Tallesty quit stalling!!! Come out and defend your posts!!! If you can but I know you ain't capable
Who is stalling?

I'm always ready and willing to defend my post.

But I don't reply children who still don't know how to use words.

I wait until they grow up.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Seeking ‘spiritual’ Healing Dies In Hotel Fire / Which Of These Temptations Is Hard For You To Resist? / African Men Only Good At Sex; Not Romantic At All - Reverend Ransford Obeng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.