Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,914 members, 7,814,083 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams (38581 Views)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking / Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GboyegaD(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
mrryon:

Webometrics named it the 2nd best, Repositories named it the best, but Webometrics is the internationally acknowledged rating system for Universities. My brother, You would agree with me that a corporately dressed gentle man almost always makes a better impression than a Fresh guy in shirt, chains and nike shoes. You should try it, its Fun. Last question, Would you rather see your son in shirt and jeans with chains all over and tatoos everywhere, or in a Three piece suit? I rest my case

Why unnecessary pretence? So an Engineering student should wear suits to field? Or you expect a Physics students to wear suit to class. Even for a student in administration, wearing a suit everyday is out of place. Moderation is key and suspending a student for double piercing is the height of foolishness. I suppose you would have suggested the adulterous woman in the bible be skinned alive and deep in salt solution to dehydrate to death than Jesus telling her to go and sin no more.

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
ekolina:
What I what you to get to your head is No federal university has 36 as bench mark. Also, federal uni got E-library. Learning in CU is very conducive I must say but I would rather send my ward to a school abroad. On a final note, is any of your alumni lecturer now?

Our 33 year old Registrar was a pioneer student. He holds a doctorate In human resource management and he is in line to become one of the youngest professors in the country. If you had a budget of 700,000 to cover tuition, accomodation, books, library, and internet fees, would you send your child abroad when a university in Nigeria offers same teaching methods with most Universities abroad with an added advantage of raising a young, mature, thoroughly educated and vice free individual? I had admissions to study abroad but i chose here, even if some of the rules are quite unnecessary, i am in love with their vision, so i am committed to obeying those unnecessary rules. Thank you
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by RFella(m): 3:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
tuffgongjo:
Which one be "Much More"?

*more*
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
GboyegaD:

Why unnecessary pretence? So an Engineering student should wear suits to field? Or you expect a Physics students to wear suit to class. Even for a student in administration, wearing a suit everyday is out of place. Moderation is key and suspending a student for double piercing is the height of foolishness. I suppose you would have suggested the adulterous woman in the bible be skinned alive and deep in salt solution to dehydrate to death than Jesus telling her to go and sin no more.

No body says you should wear suit every where. The dress code is corporate which means you where a proper shirt, tuck it in, wear a proper plain trouser and shoes, and a tie. Most of the structures here are fully air conditioned so you cant complain about heat. An engineer doesnt need to dress corporately to field, thats why he has a lab coat or engineering kit, and corporate dressing is only enforced during office ours and offiucial functions, for the rest of the day, any decent dress would do. My brother, do you now understand the dress code?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Kelly32: 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
isick:

pls dis is not wickedness but disobedient on the part of the student

Thank you for that comment.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by OpraMenu(m): 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2014
this is the problem wit Nigerians, they know the rules and they break the rules, wen punishment applied to the rule is metted out they call it wickedness. If you break it means you're also ready to face the punishment hitter to.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by eleko1: 3:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
U can learn a trade/engage in something meaningful than wasting Ur time in school/than being a nuisance.(if only U are) Do u even knw about reasoning @ all?Where do I mention bathroom slippers as u stupidily type?There's reason why they teach U GST/GNS in school.Reread what I wrote,think clearly.And if U must knw,I left d system about 22 yrs ago.If U do whateva U like''Partying,binge,dress anyhow''U are free to go elsewhere.
kullozone:

E be like say you nor well...
Lasu doesn't even allow three-quaters or bathroom slippers...even shades and face caps.

STOP INSULTING PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Am sure dey knew abt d rules and reg bfor dey decided to brk dem. Abeg.for my sch whicn is a state UNI if na 2units u go spill..u say mak u no read.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Gorgeous58(f): 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Na their way
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by 2leftlegs(m): 3:35pm On Oct 15, 2014
On my side the more you force a chile to serve God or be good the more he/ she would want to do things out of their flesh
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Godsate: 3:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
@ OP, to you all the offence you mentioned are trivial. But to the school authority, they are not. Every school have it's own rules and regulations. If the students were not ready to abide by those rules and regulation, they shouldn't have chosen covenant university as we have several universities in the country.

Remember that those student promised and sign the doted lines to abide by the school rules and regulations before matric.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Godsate: 3:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
pinkiepetite:
Am sure dey knew abt d rules and reg bfor dey decided to brk dem. Abeg.for my sch whicn is a state UNI if na 2units u go spill..u say mak u no read.

God bless you.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Crispels(m): 3:49pm On Oct 15, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
OP,which 3 weeks to exam are u talking about?
The CU I knw,like all private unis resume new session sept/oct and they write 1st semester exams after shiloh break i.e. January.

So the 3weeks to exam tinn in your news makes it incredible.

U don't know what u'r saying!!!

They've resumed since august, How updated are you
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by ekolina(m): 3:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
My problem with you is that you limit yourself to your world. I left the university just four years ago and I have class mates who about rounding up their Phd in schools around the USA and Canada and they are not up to 30years. These are guys doing phd in engineering, you are here making noise about phd in human resource management. My believe is that a university student should be allowed to discover himself. I work with one of the leading EPCI company in the world, here you see ladies and gents with tattoo all over their body, ladies wearing leggie and singlet to the office and that has not affected their performance on the job. FYI, I ve cousins in CU but their attitude is not better than we that went to federal uni
mrryon:

Our 33 year old Registrar was a pioneer student. He holds a doctorate In human resource management and he is in line to become one of the youngest professors in the country. If you had a budget of 700,000 to cover tuition, accomodation, books, library, and internet fees, would you send your child abroad when a university in Nigeria offers same teaching methods with most Universities abroad with an added advantage of raising a young, mature, thoroughly educated and vice free individual? I had admissions to study abroad but i chose here, even if some of the rules are quite unnecessary, i am in love with their vision, so i am committed to obeying those unnecessary rules. Thank you
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by kullozone(m): 3:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
eleko1:
U can learn a trade/engage in something meaningful than wasting Ur time in school/than being a nuisance.(if only U are) Do u even knw about reasoning @ all?Where do I mention bathroom slippers as u stupidily type?There's reason why they teach U GST/GNS in school.Reread what I wrote,think clearly.And if U must knw,I left d system about 22 yrs ago.If U do whateva U like''Partying,binge,dress anyhow''U are free to go elsewhere.

Oh sorry!
i didn't know you are old enough to be my ancestor...
what do you mean by"if you want to dress like a masquerade,you can go to a public school"
you are implying that we lack discipline...and i just mentioned few stuff that are not allowed in the school.
And you are hear ranting like your life depends on it.
don't border replying someone that doesn't think clearly ok? if you do,then i give up!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Crispels(m): 3:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
CoolHunk:

They knew the rules before signing up. If you think Covenant is wicked, try my alma mater: When you err, you'll be summoned by a panel and dismissed to continue as usual until when you start your final exams...that's when you'll be expelled, for something you've prolly forgotten you did.

What's the name of that ur Alma mata
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
ekolina:
My problem with you is that you limit yourself to your world. I left the university just four years ago and I have class mates who about rounding up their Phd in schools around the USA and Canada and they are not up to 30years. These are guys doing phd in engineering, you are here making noise about phd in human resource management. My believe is that a university student should be allowed to discover himself. I work with one of the leading EPCI company in the world, here you see ladies and gents with tattoo all over their body, ladies wearing leggie and singlet to the office and that has not affected their performance on the job. FYI, I ve cousins in CU but their attitude is not better than we that went to federal uni

Which one of you friends is a registrar? He got his PhD at 28. Who says a PhD in Engineering is harder than a PhD in HRM?, The students here discover their selves within prescribed rules. The tatoos dont affect their Job performance, but honestly, what is your first impression of a girl in tats and leggings? Would you employ a lady with visible tats, leggings and piercing to work in your company as a receptionist when you open it? As for your cousins, you cannot use them as a yardstick to judge the remaining 7 thousand of us, most of which have been positively imparted. My friend, discipline, dedication, integrity and trustworthiness is what Nigeria yearns for, and even if CU does it in an annoying way, at least, they still try. i have no problems with Federal universities, my problem is with he who thinks CU has to be secular to be acceptable

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by eleko1: 4:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
U still dnt get it.Find a good lecturer in dept of English to explain the word Masquerade and it connotation.After that,reread my post again,U can't miss it dat way.Done with U
kullozone:

Oh sorry!
i didn't know you are old enough to be my ancestor...
what do you mean by"if you want to dress like a masquerade,you can go to a public school"
you are implying that we lack discipline...and i just mentioned few stuff that are not allowed in the school.
And you are hear ranting like your life depends on it.
don't border replying someone that doesn't think clearly ok? if you do,then i give up!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GboyegaD(m): 4:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
mrryon:

No body says you should wear suit every where. The dress code is corporate which means you where a proper shirt, tuck it in, wear a proper plain trouser and shoes, and a tie. Most of the structures here are fully air conditioned so you cant complain about heat. An engineer doesnt need to dress corporately to field, thats why he has a lab coat or engineering kit, and corporate dressing is only enforced during office ours and offiucial functions, for the rest of the day, any decent dress would do. My brother, do you now understand the dress code?

Truth is they are adult and they know what's best for them. Dictating clothes to adults is out of place irrespective of how we see it.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GRAND30(m): 4:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
OP, you sound so bitter over simple enforcement of school bylaws. Covenant University was founded by a church. Now do you expect the school to run on secular rules? The reasons for suspension that you are making us see as trivial actually mean a lot to a Christian educational institution. It isn't a secular school. Is it? There is no need flogging a dead horse or trying to make news out of nothing. Let the school deal with their wards according to their internal laws. If you want to pierce 1000 holes in your ears, simply stay away from that school! And if you cannot obey the "wicked" (OP's own word) bylaws of any institution, seek education elsewhere!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

thank you o...my school takes one complete year to prepare our results for service. so if you spill...na automatic 2yrs be that - people dey spill practical chemistry for years, abi is it GSTs - that one is story for another day.
I think they knew what they were going into before entering the school, so I wonder why this wailing now. It didn't start today, yet every academic year several in flux to the school.
pls wch skul do you attend?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

thank you o...my school takes one complete year to prepare our results for service. so if you spill...na automatic 2yrs be that - people dey spill practical chemistry for years, abi is it GSTs - that one is story for another day.
I think they knew what they were going into before entering the school, so I wonder why this wailing now. It didn't start today, yet every academic year several in flux to the school.
pls wch skul do you attend?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
GboyegaD:

Truth is they are adult and they know what's best for them. Dictating clothes to adults is out of place irrespective of how we see it.

Dude, even the white professors here follow the dress code, the Chancellor himself follows the dress code, the various lecturers and professors obey the dress code, so the students should do same. Even in banks, they obey dress codes, does that stop them from being adults? In the Corporate business world, they have dress codes, does that stop them from being adults? Even in your church, you follow a dress code, does that prevent you from being an adult?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by kullozone(m): 4:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
eleko1:
U still dnt get it.Find a good lecturer in dept of English to explain the word Masquerade and it connotation.After that,reread my post again,U can't miss it dat way.Done with U

just what i expected.
done with you too..since the 13th century.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GboyegaD(m): 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
GRAND30:
OP, you sound so bitter over simple enforcement of school bylaws. Covenant University was founded by a church. Now do you expect the school to run on secular rules? The reasons for suspension that you are making us see as trivial actually mean a lot to a Christian educational institution. It isn't a secular school. Is it? There is no need flogging a dead horse or trying to make news out of nothing. Let the school deal with their wards according to their internal laws. If you want to pierce 1000 holes in your ears, simply stay away from that school! And if you cannot obey the "wicked" (OP's own word) bylaws of any institution, seek education elsewhere!

Really? When did piercing of ears become a Christian thing? All I can say is moderation is key in all we do and moderation in itself is relative. Suspending a student over an issue such as that is excessive as the suspension doesn't imply the hole is closed thus, it hasn't solved the issue on ground. I expect they handle issues a better way than they go about it most times. These are reasons why we have many pretenders in our churches and it will only get worse should we continue this way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GboyegaD(m): 4:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
mrryon:

Dude, even the white professors here follow the dress code, the Chancellor himself follows the dress code, the various lecturers and professors obey the dress code, so the students should do same. Even in banks, they obey dress codes, does that stop them from being adults? In the Corporate business world, they have dress codes, does that stop them from being adults? Even in your church, you follow a dress code, does that prevent you from being an adult?

That professors wear it doesn't suggest students must. And why the emphasis on white professors? More so, where is your location as most professors I know are not too keen about dressing and is it all the professors that wears shirt and tie all year round?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by uzolexis(f): 4:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
mrryon:

I am a student here and even if I dont support a three week suspension for double piercing, we all signed an undertaking with respect to these rules and breaking these rules is equal to a breach of contract which is legally punishable. These rules are basic rules any responsible person wouldnt have a hard time obeying. As for the spillover issue, i think we are second best in Nigeria for a reason, and one of those reasons are the high standards here which are rarely compromised. Anything below 45 is an F and if anyone feels he is not comfortable with it, he should go to a Federal university where he can buy grades or pass with a 36. Like I always say, we are soaring, take a seat and watch if you dont want to come out of your comfort zones and soar with us

people get suspended for double piercing? what if you already had double piercing before getting into the school does it mean that pple who want to study in covenant but have double piercing like me will be refused admisson?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GboyegaD(m): 4:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
mrryon:

Which one of you friends is a registrar? He got his PhD at 28. Who says a PhD in Engineering is harder than a PhD in HRM?, The students here discover their selves within prescribed rules. [b]The tatoos dont affect their Job performance, but honestly, what is your first impression of a girl in tats and leggings? Would you employ a lady with visible tats, leggings and piercing to work in your company as a receptionist when you open it?[\b] As for your cousins, you cannot use them as a yardstick to judge the remaining 7 thousand of us, most of which have been positively imparted. My friend, discipline, dedication, integrity and trustworthiness is what Nigeria yearns for, and even if CU does it in an annoying way, at least, they still try. i have no problems with Federal universities, my problem is with he who thinks CU has to be secular to be acceptable

There we go again with our holier than thou attitude and judgmental spirit.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
Bin a while cheesy

Welcome back smiley
GRAND30:
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GRAND30(m): 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
GboyegaD:

Really? When did piercing of ears become a Christian thing? All I can say is moderation is key in all we do and moderation in itself is relative. Suspending a student over an issue such as that is excessive as the suspension doesn't imply the hole is closed thus, it hasn't solved the issue on ground. I expect they handle issues a better way than they go about it most times. These are reasons why we have many pretenders in our churches and it will only get worse should we continue this way.

Weren't these rules spelt out to them at the point of entry? Why go to a place when you know you can't keep their laws? My opinion is simple: obey the rules or keep off! So many schools here and abroad offer as good or even better education than they do with very relaxed and secular laws. You've got money. You've got brain. You've got choice. Use it and stop whining!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by ekolina(m): 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
Good u got my point, you shouldn't cuz of a few students from federal uni run it down. CU is doing a good job no doubt but I am still of the believe that, one shouldn't be restricted in any settings called university. federal uni also got dress code, at least I can say of my school. why will I recruit a lady with tattoo as a receptionist, where appearance is key.
mrryon:

Which one of you friends is a registrar? He got his PhD at 28. Who says a PhD in Engineering is harder than a PhD in HRM?, The students here discover their selves within prescribed rules. The tatoos dont affect their Job performance, but honestly, what is your first impression of a girl in tats and leggings? Would you employ a lady with visible tats, leggings and piercing to work in your company as a receptionist when you open it? As for your cousins, you cannot use them as a yardstick to judge the remaining 7 thousand of us, most of which have been positively imparted. My friend, discipline, dedication, integrity and trustworthiness is what Nigeria yearns for, and even if CU does it in an annoying way, at least, they still try. i have no problems with Federal universities, my problem is with he who thinks CU has to be secular to be acceptable
Re: Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams by GRAND30(m): 4:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
Bin a while cheesy

Welcome back smiley

My great pal, what's good? Just took a while to reset my mind. Thanks a great deal for the warm welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Of These Schools Did You Ever Attend??? Categories Of Schools. / University Of Abuja Admission List: / FUNAAB Expels Michael Adewale Ifemosu For Writing Open Letter To VC On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.