Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? (28817 Views)

Discipline Or Stupidity? / Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse / Discipline Or Wickedness : Child Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by ELLYsian: 7:08pm On Oct 23, 2014
Codedone:

Just my thought.

As a child i would listen to my parent,and my father mostly largely due to fear,d most my mom will do is ground me,stoppin me from doing some certain tins,wish didnt rili stop me from doin watever i lik,wen it was jst me and my mom at home(takin some few gadgets or toys from me for a while wont kill me,lol).but putin my dad in d mix or just a threat by her of tellin my dad,was enough to turn my obedient switch on(he knew how to cane d evil spirit off).and am hapi he did wonder how i would be if d worst they could do was ground me.
we shouldnt feel because some western countries dnt can apply dis method of discipline makes it wrong,and if u tink their method is better than ours,have a rethink.

Well, if you use very harsh methods on children right from the beginning, you will have to continue as they get used to them.
Severe punishment makes kids dull to other forms of punishment.

This is what happened to you.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 23, 2014
tete7000:

Beating when properly used doesn't do any harm to one's self-esteem rather it enhances it. Yes, when not properly used it can be abused just like even freedom when excessively explored can create problems for the child. The problem with many of us have is in trying to find balance between discipline and abuse. What parents often fail to do is that they can't create an environment where their children feel they love and care for them to the point that they won't harm them. Beating as a discipline only makes sense when a child first feel the parent loves him and won't hurt him. If that kind of parent then beats the child, it sends the child into some kind of introspection as to what could I have done to make my parent who loves me so much to pick cane and flog me? As per fear, in a any relationship between a superior and a subordinate, their must be some element of fear. What you want to avoid is a paralysing kind of fear that denies the subordinate ability to express his feelings. Parents are symbols of authority and as far as I am concerned must carry some fear factor when dealing with their wards. I will find it disgusting if I give instructions to my child and he feels no fear as to know there could be serious repercussions if my instructions are not carried out to the letter.
I am of the class who believe in using cane on children when necessary and nothing changes that perspective of mine. My children know that and at the same time are well aware I love and care for them. Their self esteem is intact and can converse with me without any paralysing fear in them. Our relationship is one borne out of mutual respect and understanding.
well said, you've got some point there.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2014
Those who lack the intelligence or imagination or are too lazy to think of better ways to discipline their children will resort to violence. The child may learn to resent the parent but even if he/she does not learn this they will almost certainly learn to use the same methods on their own children thus perpetuating this abusive practice down through the generations. This will be justified by such nonsense sayings as 'Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child' or 'It never did me any harm'.

Surely in an educated and civilized society there are other and better ways.

Still, Culture take time to change so I don't expect this vile and savage practice to die out anytime soon (more's the pity).

From a personal perspective my own parents used violence only very occasionally (Although Ireland in the sixties still had canes in schools and parents used belts on their children). I have resented EVERY incidence of this and when I became a father myself always tried to refrain from this barbarity despite all provocation.

The more civilized countries that have banned such practices (with varying degrees of eradicating it) have found that alternative methods work better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by oluyale(m): 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2014
Beating is good but explaining why you re doing it to your kid is very important.
I Remember the first day I beat my Kid, I felt really bad through out the whole day.
but I can't stop it, not really I love to beat Him, But I know that is the only way to tell him what he' had done is wrong.

For me . . Beating is communication, lets do it well, It's a means to an end.

Beating Approved!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by chachazzy(m): 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2014
Aizebioje:
Not every offense should be corrrected with the rod. Beating kids incessantly is abuse. However,once in a while the rod should be used. Trust me. Silent treatment has a much more disciplinary effect than unnecessary flogging and beating.
hmm, did u say silent treatment for kids in Nigeria? When they are not adults! Its sure gonna be a free for all, for my lil nephew. He will so love it! Lol.
At topic
some of us view beating or using the rod as violence against kids, but i view it differently, in my opinion, let the beating be commesurate with the crime commited bearing in mind that not all crime calls for the rod. A truce can also be negotiated to promote love and unity. The problem is that, beating kids sometimes cause disunity among parents.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by DaBullIT(m): 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2014
fr3do:

:/ Ipa, you are getting it wrong.

What will your kids be scared of when you are not there?

Teach them responsibiliity and initiative!

Some things you just can't teach
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by ShakurM(m): 9:57pm On Oct 23, 2014
manutdadex:
we were told child development start at age 4-5 but dis days i wud say age 3...d rate at which kids pick up habits is...........
I konkur! Nice
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 10:05pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

Fagggotmoron, stop running.

Another of fagggot biatch of yours quoted you asking if you survived the last homo party you had. grin grin grin grin grin

Have you changed your diapers? I'm sure its filled up already. grin grin grin grin

Homofuuktard, do you buy diapers for all4naija after you dig his arsse for poo. shocked grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 23, 2014
KoloOyinbo:
Those who lack the intelligence or imagination or are too lazy to think of better ways to discipline their children will resort to violence. The child may learn to resent the parent but even if he/she does not learn this they will almost certainly learn to use the same methods on their own children thus perpetuating this abusive practice down through the generations. This will be justified by such nonsense sayings as 'Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child' or 'It never did me any harm'.

Surely in an educated and civilized society there are other and better ways.

Still, Culture take time to change so I don't expect this vile and savage practice to die out anytime soon (more's the pity).

From a personal perspective my own parents used violence only very occasionally (Although Ireland in the sixties still had canes in schools and parents used belts on their children). I have resented EVERY incidence of this and when I became a father myself always tried to refrain from this barbarity despite all provocation.

The more civilized countries that have banned such practices (with varying degrees of eradicating it) have found that alternative methods work better.

nicee
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 10:30pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

Homofuuktard, do you buy diapers for all4naija after you dig his arsse for poo. shocked grin grin grin

Fagggotmoron, why did you refuse to answer the guy who asked how you survived the last homo party you had? grin grin grin grin

Have you changed your diapers? This fagggot biatch use 10 diapers in one day. shocked grin grin grin grin

maokz:

Leave saga alone. I love him angry tongue

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 10:32pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

Fagggotmoron, why did you refuse to answer the guy who asked how you survived the last homo party you had? grin grin grin grin

Have you changed your diapers? This fagggot biatch use 10 diapers in one day. shocked grin grin grin grin

Your homosexual community has been having discussions? grin grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 23, 2014
Oi, this homo banter is cracking me up, yo.

Now imagine catching your son doing some homo shiit - tell me you will spare the rod and not whoop the homoeroticism out of his ar.se. grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 10:42pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

Your homosexual community has been having discussions? grin grin grin grin

Fagggotmoron, how much does a pack of diaper cost? grin grin grin grin grin

You use 10 diapers in one day, biatch, your life is a tragedy! grin grin grin grin

msokz:

Leave saga alone. I love him angry tongue
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 10:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

Fagggotmoron, how much does a pack of diaper cost? grin grin grin grin grin

You use 10 diapers in one day, biatch, your life is a tragedy! grin grin grin grin

How much do you buy it for when you use it, homofuuktard? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by fr3do(m): 10:46pm On Oct 23, 2014
Peterken05:

yh, if they are not happy, they would have stopped, what do you think?

They are worried and scared!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
fr3do:

They are worried and scared!
they are insecure as well
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 10:54pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

How much do you buy it for when you use it, homofuuktard? grin grin grin grin grin

Senses = 0

Intelligence = 0

Homosexual banging ability = 100

You see your life? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Whoever cursed you is dead!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 10:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

Senses = 0

Intelligence = 0

Homosexual banging ability = 100

You see your life? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Whoever cursed you is dead!

Homofucktard, did you just tell us N100? grin grin grin grin grin

Wow! grin grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

Homofucktard, did you just tell us N100? grin grin grin grin grin

Wow! grin grin grin grin

Sagamoron, you look very hot to you fagggotbiatches. grin grin grin

Another of your fagggotbiatch just stood up in your defense on the other thread. grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile, have you change diapers?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 11:05pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

Sagamoron, you look very hot to you fagggotbiatches. grin grin grin

Another of your fagggotbiatch just stood up in your defense on the other thread. grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile, have you change diapers?

You buy diapers for your homosexual love for N100? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by fr3do(m): 11:23pm On Oct 23, 2014
Peterken05:
they are insecure as well

Yes insecure out of love
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by grandstar(m): 6:00am On Oct 24, 2014
Alexsmith20:
As an african man i believe in the adage which say "flog him once and he would flee twice".

but thats not how my wife sees it,she is always keen on pampering the kids base on the facts that she was born and brought up in the states and was not subjected to such method of discipline.

So my question is, is beating a form of ABUSE or DISCIPLINE?

Beating isn't necessary.

I just came back from the U.K and many children are well behaved despite the lag of flogging.

The easy way out when it comes to "disciplining" a child is to use a cane.

Not beating compels the parent to think and to use words which are quite powerful or other forms of punishments. There are a million ways to kill a rat!

Some will argue that the bible says "spare the rod and spoil the child"

The rod mentioned there is the rod used to guide sheep. We know how easy it is to lead sheep.

Also dont forget Psalm 23 which many of you can recite by heart " Your rod and your staff, they comfort me!"

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by tolustx(m): 7:17am On Oct 24, 2014
I still ve a lotta fins to say abt dis matter. The idea of beating being an abuse coms frm d western world, whr we ve higher degrees of crime, indecency, infidelity, divorce etc. As africans, it wil do us gud 2 adopt jst a part of dr lifestyle. Definitely d beneficial part and discard d rest. Either u attribute flogging to slavery or not, it works for us in Africa. When my parents beat me, lesson is learnt. I knew I did wrong so I needed to be purnished. Then immediately, everyone is happy again and we start playing again. Grounding ur kid or whatever method u adopt makes u keep dat offense in mind 4 too long and may not ve much effect on d child. Wen dos whips leave marks on my ass and I try sitting wit it and feel d pain again, I wil feel sorry for wat I did and not feel hate 4 d person dat put dem dr. Other physical purnishments leave long lasting effects on d child. I rememba d day my teacher made me do "olomoku iya" (that is ur hands holding ur ears, then bending and rising continuously) for abt an hour, I hated myself 4 d next 4 or 5 days. I couldn't walk confidently, cldnt mount stairs without holding d rails so firmly and so on. Beating helps u correct a child instantly, accurately and in love. If there were a second chance to live on earth, I wld choose to be born in africa and probably to d same parents and corrected wit d whip weneva I err. Beating is d best discipline.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by macof(m): 8:11am On Oct 24, 2014
Aizebioje:
Not every offense should be corrrected with the rod. Beating kids incessantly is abuse. However,once in a while the rod should be used. Trust me. Silent treatment has a much more disciplinary effect than unnecessary flogging and beating.

Of course no one except a frustrated parent picks the stick every single time but the stick should never be far away you never can tell when the child needs a character readjustment
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by macof(m): 8:21am On Oct 24, 2014
looking at this thread. I jst see inferiority complex
It's only western mentality that has gotten into ur silly slave minds

Flogging is good, it's the best form of discipline no child dares the parent with a cain
If u like don't train ur child the right way, spare the rod and spoil the child
But don't come here teaching rubbish

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Juzzybabe(f): 8:25am On Oct 24, 2014
It is a form of discipline. It only becomes an abuse when you flog unmercifully and unnecessarily. But a simple way out of all the troubles is FEEDING THEM WITH THE WORD OF GOD FROM INFANTRY. I learnt that from my aunt and pray to pass it on to my kids. You will have very less work to do on them.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by macof(m): 8:35am On Oct 24, 2014
mirexxx:
the rod doesn't mean flogging alone na, there r oda ways u can discipline a child. if am grounded 4 an hour,without my gadgets n locked in my room chaii i give up on dat strong head o. beating kids sha. dey dont 4get it o and might hate u sef

It's better the child hates u now and appreciates u later

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 24, 2014
mhoyo772:
There are different kind of Children. Study your child and know the mode of discipline that he/she adheres to most. Some children does not like to be beaten, but the moment you talk sense into their brain,they llisten and change their ways, some listen more to instruction through punishment, while some r through beating. All these are various forms of discipline
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by macof(m): 8:37am On Oct 24, 2014
Peterken05:
it is pure abuse, why would inflict pain on your child and be happy about it. Thats psycho. Most people beat their children because the holy books say so.

Shut up am a pagan and it's African to flog a child.
u shouldn't wait till religion tells u to

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by macof(m): 8:39am On Oct 24, 2014
Juzzybabe:
It is a form of discipline. It only becomes an abuse when you flog unmercifully and unnecessarily. But a simple way out of all the troubles is FEEDING THEM WITH THE WORD OF GOD FROM INFANTRY. I learnt that from my aunt and pray to pass it on to my kids. You will have very less work to do on them.

Yh as the so called word of God has been used to instil fear the mind of the gullible since 30AD
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Juzzybabe(f): 9:11am On Oct 24, 2014
macof:

Yh as the so called word of God has been used to instil fear the mind of the gullible since 30AD
Hahaha. People interperete it in different ways. Study it for yourslelf,don't be told. Its beautiful!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 24, 2014
discipline

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Missing Person(photos) / Why Are There Many Pregnant Brides Nowadays? / Help! My Fiancee Is Always Picking Fights For Me...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.