Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? (28792 Views)

Discipline Or Stupidity? / Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse / Discipline Or Wickedness : Child Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 24, 2014
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:42am On Oct 24, 2014
tolustx:
I still ve a lotta fins to say abt dis matter. The idea of beating being an abuse coms frm d western world, whr we ve higher degrees of crime, indecency, infidelity, divorce etc. As africans, it wil do us gud 2 adopt jst a part of dr lifestyle. Definitely d beneficial part and discard d rest. Either u attribute flogging to slavery or not, it works for us in Africa. When my parents beat me, lesson is learnt. I knew I did wrong so I needed to be purnished. Then immediately, everyone is happy again and we start playing again. Grounding ur kid or whatever method u adopt makes u keep dat offense in mind 4 too long and may not ve much effect on d child. Wen dos whips leave marks on my ass and I try sitting wit it and feel d pain again, I wil feel sorry for wat I did and not feel hate 4 d person dat put dem dr. Other physical purnishments leave long lasting effects on d child. I rememba d day my teacher made me do "olomoku iya" (that is ur hands holding ur ears, then bending and rising continuously) for abt an hour, I hated myself 4 d next 4 or 5 days. I couldn't walk confidently, cldnt mount stairs without holding d rails so firmly and so on. Beating helps u correct a child instantly, accurately and in love. If there were a second chance to live on earth, I wld choose to be born in africa and probably to d same parents and corrected wit d whip weneva I err. Beating is d best discipline.

This is NOT an issue of Western versus African. Beating is widely practiced in the Western world also and has failed there every bit as much as in Africa. The more socially developed countries like Sweden have shown the world the way forward. Each country/culture will eventually follow at its own pace. In some, progress will be swift. In others it may take generations. This abuse has been around for thousands of years and will take many generations to disappear or drop to an insignificant level. Just don't assume that because your parents did it therefore it must be ok. Keep an open mind and see if there is a better way. Countries like Sweden are proving that there is!

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by tolustx(m): 11:49am On Oct 24, 2014
KoloOyinbo:

This is NOT an issue of Western versus African. Beating is widely practiced in the Western world also and has failed there every bit as much as in Africa. The more socially developed countries like Sweden have shown the world the way forward. Each country/culture will eventually follow at its own pace. In some, progress will be swift. In others it may take generations. This abuse has been around for thousands of years and will take many generations to disappear or drop to an insignificant level. Just don't assume that because your parents did it therefore it must be ok. Keep an open mind and see if there is a better way. Countries like Sweden are proving that there is!
ok. But is dr rily a better way? Can u enlighten us on wat option sweden is considering
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by femijetto: 1:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
I fink it depends how someone is brought up, doh beating is Gud for a child but not often, cos is one of d ways to correct a child.....d scripture support it
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by femijetto: 1:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
femijetto:
I fink it depends how someone is brought up, doh beating is Gud for a child but not often, cos is one of d ways to correct a child.....d scripture support it
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by uokide: 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
Alexsmith20:
As an african man i believe in the adage which say "flog him once and he would flee twice".

but thats not how my wife sees it,she is always keen on pampering the kids base on the facts that she was born and brought up in the states and was not subjected to such method of discipline.

So my question is, is beating a form of ABUSE or DISCIPLINE?
y nt use withdrawal punishment ,its d best punishment i can give, denied d child on those tibs he or she likes most.well beating is nt an abuse depending on the extent
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Anglovel: 4:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
julisa2020:
its dicipline...but when it gets to a certain extent,it becomes abuse...e.g...regular beating of kids at every wrong done dose not always says dicipline...because at a certain stage,beating might become used to the child...so..at times its advisable to use other methods like;tongue lashing and punishments
exactly my style of raising 5 kids for 25years now,very successful, flog mildly once,use powerful persuasive language in subsequent occassions,then spice it up with regular friendly communications with d kids and they become ur friends for life. TRY MY RECIPE....U WILL BE GLAD U DID.....www.anglovel.com ANGLOVEL

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by 12ema: 5:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
Here is how i see it. I whooped my first born up until he turned seven then i stopped (a child's mentality and psychology is formed at that age anyway). Believe me when i tell you he had/has the fear of God in him. My second born never got even a spanking. why? he new how to behave from just watching his elder brother and how he responded to my commands. I totally suscribe to physical punishment but up to a certain age. Fear always comes before respect. If you don't believe me then migrate to the western world and you would thank the lord for your hard upbringing. Parents over here are helpless when it comes to raising children. They depend on MTV, Jayz and Beyonce to do it for them. I thank God say my papa flog me.

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by maly: 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2014
manutdadex:
i wud beat my kids!! because i was beaten and it helpd me...
Beating or flog a kinds its never not an abuse as africa man beacause I do flog my children and they are doing well

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
tolustx:
ok. But is dr rily a better way? Can u enlighten us on wat option sweden is considering

The same options that have been mentioned here. The parent knows what will work with their child. Loss of privileges etc. Sometimes all that is needed is a talk to explain what the consequences of their actions have been.

My own father beat me as only an Irishman can. Those I ALWAYS RESENTED and STILL DO even though he is now passed on an I love and respect him and his memory. But nothing hurt me more or modified my behaviour more than when he once sat me down and told me that he was disappointed in me!!!!

When my own child was in a fight with another girl (which she had unjustly instigated) I brought her to see the other child and she was saddened to see how much she had hurt her. She made firm friends and never repeated the behaviour. I think it is often lack of thought or understanding of our own children that makes us use violence as the first option (measured violence or otherwise).

Open minded people who try this are rarely disappointed and will get more respect and a better relationship with their children I am sure.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by manutdadex(m): 9:28pm On Oct 24, 2014
maly:
Beating or flog a kinds its never not an abuse as africa man beacause I do flog my children and they are doing well
ese jare!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by misshoree(f): 12:15pm On Oct 25, 2014
Its a sign of disclipne but too much of it,like any slight mistake a child makes,instead of correction,all u do is to beat the child.the child then get addicted to d cane. And instead of serving the purpose of discipline,it can lead to abuse
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by nzeaji(m): 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2014
Difference between abuse and discipline:

Abuse - Flog him/her.

Discipline - Flog him/her with the left hand; pull him/her into your loving embrace with your right hand.

My 10 bucks... cool grin

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Daresh(f): 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2014
Talk your own, no teacher will flog my child.

Suarezilla:
It can never be an abuse to use the rod on your children. Parents of this days(educated) have missed this. Some parents go as far as confronting teachers @school whom flog their children for good reasons...this is very apalling to me..I support flogging a child to make dem see wats good and bad

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by fightforchange1(f): 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2014
Abuse.
I wouldn't do it...
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Suarezilla(m): 7:35pm On Oct 25, 2014
Daresh:
Talk your own, no teacher will flog my child.

Why you no open your own school n enrol ur kid there so you can teach him/her urslef? All this indomie generation parents. I pity ur children as u will rise in protecting them from teachers! Protecting them from knowledge !

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:51pm On Oct 25, 2014
Suarezilla:
Why you no open your own school n enrol ur kid there so you can teach him/her urslef? All this indomie generation parents. I pity ur children as u will rise in protecting them from teachers! Protecting them from knowledge !

Protecting them from Knowledge? A teacher using violence has little to teach a child!

The countries with the highest levels of education are those where physical punishment in schools is illegal. (As would be expected!)

The thread is now becoming pointless. Those in favour of such abuse are unlikely to be convinced otherwise anyway. Progress does not happen everywhere at the same rate sadly.

Much of it is wounded pride that other have a better way of doing things. {personalities always inhibit progress}.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Suarezilla(m): 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2014
KoloOyinbo:

Protecting them from Knowledge? A teacher using violence has little to teach a child!

The countries with the highest levels of education are those where physical punishment in schools is illegal. (As would be expected!)

The thread is now becoming pointless. Those in favour of such abuse are unlikely to be convinced otherwise anyway. Progress does not happen everywhere at the same rate sadly.

Much of it is wounded pride that other have a better way of doing things. {personalities always inhibit progress}.

Can you please list the countries out and tell us your source? And when did sparing not the rod become an unacceptable action? Are you greater than God that said that? Look here woman, take away punishment for offences away from this world and you would have taken away knowledge away from this earth. I guess you are of the Ajebo tribe that's why you would argue on this but incase you weren't flogged for wrong doings then am really afraid...more afraid of your opinion on this matter..HaPpy Sunday!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by ELLYsian: 12:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
KoloOyinbo:

Exactly.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Daresh(f): 2:25pm On Oct 26, 2014
Suarezilla:

You cannot teach by beating. You will only make the child afraid to learn. I teach my kids by making it fun and exciting to learn. I do not flog, my parents did not flog me, I am not a goat and my kids are not goats, they understand if you explain to them.

My parents were born in the village, nothing indomie about them. But they knew beating didnt help. I learnt to love school and so did my siblings. There are more effective ways to discipline children outside beating. Abi you be goat?

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by KoloOyinbo(m): 3:00am On Oct 27, 2014
Suarezilla:
Can you please list the countries out and tell us your source? And when did sparing not the rod become an unacceptable action? Are you greater than God that said that? Look here woman, take away punishment for offences away from this world and you would have taken away knowledge away from this earth. I guess you are of the Ajebo tribe that's why you would argue on this but incase you weren't flogged for wrong doings then am really afraid...more afraid of your opinion on this matter..HaPpy Sunday!

I mentioned Sweden several times but all the Nordic countries and the more advanced European countries etc. Do your own research and keep an open mind. The countries that ban such barbaric behaviour have never had cause to regret it.

Who said take away punishment for offenses? Did you actually read what was said? The point is that violence is not the only form of punishment/sanction. Others are more effective for those that can be bothered to think of them and care enough about guiding their children in the best manner possible.

As an Irishman I am not of the Ajebo tribe but of the Celtic tribe! cheesy (Don't know enough about that tribe to see the relevance to any points made here).

The Bible advocates punishment of course and so do ALL here. It is the particular form that punishment should take that is the issue. We are no longer savages to beat helpless children but should have the intelligence to use better forms of punishment.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by blessedqueen(f): 8:49am On Oct 27, 2014
Anglovel:

exactly my style of raising 5 kids for 25years now,very successful, flog mildly once,use powerful persuasive language in subsequent occassions,then spice it up with regular friendly communications with d kids and they become ur friends for life. TRY MY RECIPE....U WILL BE GLAD U DID.....www.anglovel.com ANGLOVEL

Thank u so much I wish some people will learn

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:34am On Oct 27, 2014
Anglovel:

This has been tried and IS effective BUT this is DESPITE the abuse at the beginning and because of the other things you do which are good. Your recipe has been tried and is a halfway house between pure violence and a more modern and successful approach, You show that people CAN change and improve. WELL DONE. Now make the final step and be EVEN BETTER!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Receives Car Gift From His Boss, Prince Ned Nwoko, After Welcoming A Child / What Is The Benefit Of Marriage To A Man in this present time? / Why Are There Many Pregnant Brides Nowadays?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.