Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? (28818 Views)

Discipline Or Stupidity? / Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse / Discipline Or Wickedness : Child Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Odisco2(m): 5:56am On Oct 23, 2014
It is a clear evidence that one of the most recognised form of discipline of a child is by flogging him/her. This is not to undermine the se.x of that child.
Way back when I was still a child, my mother Who has every reason to beat me with just a slight mistake almost killed me. After that incidence, I reshuffled myself just like way goodluck Jonathan reshuffled his cabinet lately. I became so conscious to the extent that mistakes has No room in the things I do.
It is important however, to flogging that child sometimes, this will straighten him/her in future doings. If You don't beat the child, You spoil the child.
Again, another weapon of discipline is ADVICE. counsel the child. But it will be difficult to counsel a child Who has made up his mind. I still choose the former weapon of discipline to the latter.

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by englishmart(m): 5:56am On Oct 23, 2014
Beating is not a way of taking disciplinary action on an erring child

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Kingsimmer(m): 5:56am On Oct 23, 2014
to ma unborn baby..."if u misbehave... I won't spare you d rod....love you!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by QMark: 5:57am On Oct 23, 2014
It was discipline until we became parents.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by tolustx(m): 6:00am On Oct 23, 2014
U knw dat drug abuse is d misuse of dos strong drugs. So for beating to be an abuse, it means it is over done. I subscribe to beating but it is not @ every offense dat u beat. My father beat me for grave offenses. Next tym, I wouldn't do such a thing. Wen a parent beats everytym, it bcoms an abuse and d child may get addicted to it. The rod has been resetting african children to default settings since tym immemorial.

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by aboyaji(m): 6:01am On Oct 23, 2014
condralbede:
Beat am with d left hand and then pet am with d right hand.My parents did d same,so definitely I must do such to my kids...
not to all kids. Well, it depends on the way you train them.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Deehvahrzz(f): 6:01am On Oct 23, 2014
Sometimes beating your kids doesn't take away the madness the bible says. At some point in their lives, they get so used to the punishment and they see it as normal. I would recommend talking to them and they been deprived of the things the do for gun. As a little child, I remember one time I didn't pass to my dad's expectations or my ability. He got me a lesson teacher who would makee sit and ve lessons at periods when my sisters and neighbours were playing. I would hearvtgeir shrieks and laughter. If he had just beat me, it would ve been normal. But the missed playtimes rany imagination. I kept wondering what they saw, why they were laughing so hard. Trust me I never went below that level. I think talking to your kids is important. Letting them know why they are been punished and keeping it simple.
Beating did me no good. Am not sure it does a lot of good to other kids either.

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by tyconcepts(f): 6:04am On Oct 23, 2014
This is 9ja....Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Suarezilla(m): 6:04am On Oct 23, 2014
It can never be an abuse to use the rod on your children. Parents of this days(educated) have missed this. Some parents go as far as confronting teachers @school whom flog their children for good reasons...this is very apalling to me..I support flogging a child to make dem see wats good and bad

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by aboyaji(m): 6:08am On Oct 23, 2014
Antell95:
lipsrsealed
infobut:
Front page tins
Dygeasy:
Dygeasy:
Odisco2:
h
Dygeasy:
Kingsimmer:
coming
Dygeasy:
you guys need to be flogged. If nairalanders flog you all now, you would say its abuse when you know you deserve battering

8 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Isk(f): 6:13am On Oct 23, 2014
Alexsmith20:
As an african man i believe in the adage which say "flog him once and he would flee twice".

but thats not how my wife sees it,she is always keen on pampering the kids base on the facts that she was born and brought up in the states and was not subjected to such method of discipline.

So my question is, is beating a form of ABUSE or DISCIPLINE?
I think it depends on how it's done, probably the frequency and the intent of it. Some people take out their frustrations and misery on their kids and you can see it in the way they attack their kids all in the name of "discipline": this is abuse. Abuse of authority. The truth is that most kids require correction in the form of flogging but you need to check how you go about it so you don't miss the point of it. Most child psychologists advise that you do not flog the child when you are angry. That way you can administer while in the right frame of mind.

4 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Isk(f): 6:14am On Oct 23, 2014
Suarezilla:
It can never be an abuse to use the rod on your children. Parents of this days(educated) have missed this. Some parents go as far as confronting teachers @school whom flog their children for good reasons...this is very apalling to me..I support flogging a child to make dem see wats good and bad
completely agree.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by vickydevoka(m): 6:19am On Oct 23, 2014
Ojestas:
flog yeye outta them. An average Nigerian kid can't escape this. But don't flog them too much,, complement the floggin with "Riding Invisible/imaginary bicycle". .Won ma keko!!
if the Bleep up, bit the hell out of them
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 6:22am On Oct 23, 2014
Its discipline joor.... That talking thing doesn't work for some children like my son. The only thing that works is cane.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 23, 2014
I can remember my mum only beat me once, because I'm really gentle while growing up, and she's the talking/praying for stubborn children type.
However I talk to my little girl too but at times that might not get me the result, so a slap on her back quickly reset her and she sits up.
I'm not an advocate of beating the child but some children are just damn too stubborn and you need to give them the beating of life before they change, my friend is a living example, thank God her parent didn't spare the rod, and she give thanks to God for her parent now.

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by jasoncage(m): 6:22am On Oct 23, 2014
Beating is crap.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Hman12(m): 6:24am On Oct 23, 2014
Beating is abuse cos some pipo over do it n even lead to killn d child.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by isahturaki7(m): 6:25am On Oct 23, 2014
Chop him fada if him 4uck up
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn't beat my child for any reason
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by realestworld(m): 6:30am On Oct 23, 2014
cane made me who i am 2day wit d help of ma popc floggin me with wire so i complied.
if any of my pikin Bleep up e must collect enuf whip till e comply
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Kingsimmer(m): 6:31am On Oct 23, 2014
aboyaji:
you guys need to be flogged. If nairalanders flog you all now, you would say its abuse when you know you deserve battering
(afar being spanked)
to ma unborn child: ur papa was spanked on nairaland xo
if u misbehave 2. u will b flogged on naijaloaded...
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Tallesty1(m): 6:32am On Oct 23, 2014
samflexxy:
I wouldn't beat my child for any reason
Until you get one.

5 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by firstolalekan(m): 6:32am On Oct 23, 2014
mirexxx:
the rod doesn't mean flogging alone na, there r oda ways u can discipline a child. if am grounded 4 an hour,without my gadgets n locked in my room chaii i give up on dat strong head o. beating kids sha. dey dont 4get it o and might hate u sef
Grounded Kor, groudnut ni.
All this yeye Hollywood films dey deceive una.

2 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by uchihahinata: 6:33am On Oct 23, 2014
I will flog oooo. But not every time. There will be a certain age they will get to I will stop beating them but will talk to them instead
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 6:33am On Oct 23, 2014
Sit her down and have a good talk abt it.
When children av it at the back of their minds that they can mess up and still be sure of one parent(dad or mum) being on their side,it neva ends well.I knw a family that had similar issues.

A line shld be draw btw hate and discipline.You knw within u wen u are beating for discipline or otherwise.Beating isnt everytin though;make sure u're firm and uncompromising in any disciplinary action/stand u decide to take and make sure your wife supports it.This way,the children knw they av no one to run to-they just av to comport themselves. wink
I wish u a happy family smiley

Alexsmith20:
As an african man i believe in the adage which say "flog him once and he would flee twice".

but thats not how my wife sees it,she is always keen on pampering the kids base on the facts that she was born and brought up in the states and was not subjected to such method of discipline.

So my question is, is beating a form of ABUSE or DISCIPLINE?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by teejah03(m): 6:35am On Oct 23, 2014
I believe in beating a child wen He/she does wrong but dont beat wen u need not to...cause some of us its anger that sets in wen they are beating and always knw they do tins unconsciously so u r beating them to put their subconsciousness in place.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 23, 2014
Tallesty1:
Until you get one.
like seriously I detest people who beat children I think they should be locked up when I eventually have my own kid I give them minor punishment or I'll grand them for a week or more

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 6:38am On Oct 23, 2014
cheesy

Dont mind him.

Some wives nag to a level that their husbands pick up the car key and leave for some hours.Now imagine a child doing worse...would he pick up the car key and leave too? undecided
Tallesty1:
Until you get one.

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Elgaxton(m): 6:38am On Oct 23, 2014
IMO I dont think people without kids can really say the truth about this topic since they are inexperienced.

I dont beat, I spank them with a goood cane and they all know and call the cane Dr Do Good.

Talking doesn't work that much for kids
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Mubby4luv(m): 6:39am On Oct 23, 2014
Hmm. During our golden days, back in time it was discipline o choii, am so glad I got such discipline grin. The kind beating i chop no be for here o. But this days it's called child abuse for the children even thinks they are hated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Missing Person(photos) / Why Are There Many Pregnant Brides Nowadays? / My Daddy Abandoned Responsibility All Because He Is 50year Waiting To Die..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.