Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,753 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:32 AM

I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa (26455 Views)

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion / Buhari Bares His Heart About Elections and Democracy / Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 6:20pm On Oct 31, 2014
nice write up,but i think you should consult with other enlighten individuals on Africanism.now point number one,the western way of life is neither family oriented nor community oriented rather it promote self development,that leads to greed,and a system where i very secret greed few control the majority directly or indirectly,and as we all Know when greed leads many evils follow.First point to note is classical economist.then you have military leed wars,the idea of formal education in itself is a problem add that with democracy(the most corrupt system of government),the truth be told Africa is leaving in a system designed by greedy people for their own personal goal,so you can't expect anything to work,less we break out to design our own system,when i mean system i mean way or life,constitution,religious believes,rule of law,finances and system of government.i maintain for as long as other people define our lives and design our way of thinking,for as long as they define who we are and even name us,they even tell us what we are.then there is no way the African race can progress because they have become the potter and we the clay.

As for ebola that is another story,ebola was created by americas,an american holds the petent for it,this things are already public knoweldege why you sit there and allow western media machinary to dicive you and make you hate your own country i advice you to read well,in case you dont know Nigeria is the 20th largest economy in the world,the largest in Africa and the balance sheet is currently 1.1 trillion Dollars that united states dollars.so if you are watching bbc,cnn,and aljazira i think its time you stop watching does and begin to travel,Nigeiran is far better than 90% of all south american and caribbean countries

Second as for does countries you mentioned that have moved on,i assure you,you haven't traveled to any of them,i have toured almost the whole caribbean that includes the suriname,and when you go there you would thank God for Africa cause what the whites did to their thinking is far worse and all does things you complained of exist there.thirdly your relatives collecting money from you have nothing to do with it,its simply they ask you give,if you told them you don't have they would stop asking,doesn't mean they are poor.

spectroscopic:

Yes, the western ways may be individualistic but they have been able to connect the dots (of the different individuals) to build their societies. Ours is family-oriented, yet we have not been able to build the family units into societies. Each family is a lord unto itself, in isolation of one another.

Are you by any means suggesting that there is no greed in Nigeria and that few economic and political heavyweights do not control the rest of the masses? That will be living in utopia.

And yes, we should start defining our lives ourselves by taking responsibility for our own matters. For instance, why is Ebola in Africa not being addressed by Africans even at the AU or ECOWAS level? This last paragraph is really the crux of this article.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 6:38pm On Oct 31, 2014
saxywale:

Dude, don't get it twisted. Nigerians worship foreigners (Arabs,Indians,chinese,whites). In fact, any one that doesn't look negroid. They have priority over you in your country and find it a lot easy to establish themselves as government would even award a contract to a foreign company before yours.

You are right about the lack of technical skills. I worked on a DFID project while in Nigeria that involved dangote industries and some oil servicing companies importing skilled labor and journeymen from China and the Philippines to work in Nigeria.

How I wish some of the bogus earnings of politicians be used in establishing trade schools in Nigeria. At least, that would help in reducing skilled labor shortage in Nigeria.

Thank you for that response to him. Right there in Nigeria, they worship foreigners in their own country. And someone is here pretending as if Nigerians back home are some tough cookies.

BTW, interesting that you have been involved in a DFID project. I am linked to several USAID projects too.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nigeria is the 20th largest economy in the world,the largest in Africa and the balance sheet is currently1.1 trillion Dollars that united states dollar[/b]s.so if you are watching bbc,cnn,and aljazira i think its time you stop watching does and begin to travel,[b]Nigeiran is far better than 90% of all south american and caribbean countries

Onoja12:

Can you support those colored claims with facts, not some co..ck and bull stories?

Note also that I am concerned about Africa, not just Nigeria.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 6:53pm On Oct 31, 2014
To add to it please note Nigeria is on a growth rate of 7%-7.5% that is among the top ten highest growth rate in the world,so for those of you who haven't traveled and are been deceived into thinking anywhere is better than Nigeria,note that it is only 19 countries better than Nigeria in the whole world.economically speaking

Most of the Nigerians i speak to who have gotten lost in foreign lands and begin to mislead people after been mislead by foreign press give same answer please click the link below for Nigeria GDP as for the 90%,i don't need links for that i have travelled that region regularly,so i can compare myself.but just incase you doubt it click the second link

http://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp-ranking-2014-data-and-charts

https://www.nairaland.com/1970725/countries-smaller-gdp-than-lagos

spectroscopic:

Onoja12:

Can you support those colored claims with facts, not some co..ck and bull stories?

Note also that I am concerned about Africa, not just Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:
I have always been thinking:

Is the African culture part of the problem of Africa? Africans are family-oriented but not society-oriented.
They build individual families but have not been able to string that together to develop their societies. Because of their familism (meaning penchant for family), the financial head of a family is forced to ''work'' for members of his immediate and extended family. A western professor of mine who lived extensively in Africa once told me that family problems are one of the main reasons why middle class Africans are as good as poor. I had argued with him back then with a fervor bothering on pan Africanism, but now I know better.

There is so much dependency that, oftentimes, the bread winner has to steal public money to satisfy his family's needs. Relatives troop in and out, putting people under pressure to give and give and give. Now with smart phones, Facebook and twitter, they come in your face on cyberspace with requests. There is now no hiding place, except you get off cyberspace. It is such that even if you earn a good monthly pay, you end up an impoverished employed person, month in, month out.

There is total lack of the culture to compete for the common good. In contrast, there is breath-taking competition to be corrupt and to be able to lord it over others with the stolen wealth. On top of that, there is the tendency to blame others for African problems.

They say it's due to colonialism and slavery. But hey!! Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Philippines, and virtually all South American countries were colonized too. Indians were enslaved by the Dutch and taken to Suriname in South America. These people and countries have since moved on, and have become self-sustaining in many development indices that African countries can only dream of. But Africa remains the basket case of the world, beset with hunger, malnutrition, grinding poverty and disease. Moreover, Ethiopia and Liberia were never colonized. Are they any better than the colonized African countries?

Even ordinary Ebola, Africans cannot contain on their own after 40 whole years of its first discovery in remote Central Africa. Admitted that Nigeria was able to achieve that feat. But it was largely mother nature at work for them. One is regaled with images of dirt and squalor on Western media covering the Ebola crisis in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. From those images you would conclude every single individual in those countries are dirt poor and live under the most horrible sanitary conditions. But there are presidents and leaders governing these countries. There are the rich and mighty. Have they been sleeping?

What excuse does Africa have to remain poor, dirty and a perpetual underdog? Africans on the street often say their leaders are corrupt. But leadership does not exist in a vacuum. Every leader was once a follower, and many new leaders, just followers a few years ago, have become even more corrupt than veteran leaders. How can you get good leaders from bad followers? The question then is, are Africans naturally wired to be what they are today?

What is the role being played by religion in certain African countries such as Nigeria? Virtually all the prosperous countries are those not overly enmeshed in all sorts of religion in equal numbers. They are either 100% (at least nearly so) Christians, 100% (at least nearly so) Muslims, or completely devoid of any religious affiliations. Nigeria has pursued the path of mixed religiosity in equal measure; yet all the religions that Africans ''die'' for are foreign to them. Why do they bear religion on their shoulders with unprecedented burdensomeness?

Election is coming up in Nigeria and everyone has become entrenched in their primordial positions. Common sense has been thrown to the dogs, and failed leaders, past and present, are doing all they can to recycle themselves. They throw crumbs at you and you fall hook, line and sinker for them. Where is the rallying for intellectualism and leadership quality? Where is Fasola, Utomi and the rest of the few good ones? Why are they not contesting and why is there no one promoting their candidacy? You all, ordinary Nigerians, have either been bought over by the corrupt and bigoted elites on both sides of the divide, or you are too ignorant and loving of the status quo to know any better.

Today, the president of Burkina Faso was chased out, and the parliament building set on fire. It was all because that president, despite having stayed 27 or so years in power, was angling to stay longer and sought to be backed up by lawmakers. That is the African system most like to live with.

Well, so much for my rambling. I just wanted to share what I have bottled up all these years.

PS: Today, I received my US citizenship; I am glad that I did, but I am not giving up on Nigeria and Africa, not yet.

You have no shame. Is INNOSON not in this same Nigeria? In this same ''Africa''? This is a man who started from nothing, and today, is reknowned for being Africa's first indigenous car manufacturer. In this same Nigeria, fortunes are being made by educated people in real estate, banking, law, construction, and other disciplines. Agriculture is now seen as a credible business. The economy is expanding rapidly, now the continent's largest, meaning we are doing a lot of things right, as a nation. Where do YOU come in? As the little, inferiority complex afflicted escapee who thinks being in America is synonymous with heaven? Thanks for your diatribe, but as you can see, we think you're pathetic. As for the nonsense about India, the average Indian is poorer than the average African, as shown by the latest studies:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/india-far-poorer-than-africa-new-measure-shows/story-e6frg6so-1225891801078?nk=1e87f9719f897a8c55cac4bce6105de8

India has definitely NOT ''since moved on, and become self-sustaining in many development indices that African countries can only dream of''. So save your inferiority complex induced lies against Nigeria and Africa for your fellow slave-minded, beer parlour ignorants.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
onoja12:

Second as for does countries you mentioned that have moved on,i assure you,you haven't traveled to any of them,i have toured almost the whole caribbean that includes the suriname,and when you go there you would thank God for Africa cause what the whites did to their thinking is far worse and all does things you complained of exist there.thirdly your relatives collecting money from you have nothing to do with it,its simply they ask you give,if you told them you don't have they would stop asking,doesn't mean they are poor.

Lol

I have traveled very widely and still do, even with my Nigerian passport. Obtaining the US passport only makes it easier. You should have realized that I did not fall from the sky and begin to feel that things are not working well as they should be in Africa. That feeling is borne out of what I have experienced in Europe (9 countries) North America (all 3 countries) South/Central America (8 countries) Caribbean Islands (5 countries), Africa (uncountable countries) Asia/Middle East (10 countries). I have not been to Australia and NZ, although I have been involved in work conducted in NZ as recently as 6 months ago.

I have a Dutch colleague who is of Indian-Surinames origin, and he often tells me that in hindsight, most Indian-Surinames in Holland are actually happy that their forefathers were enslaved and taken to Suriname, and then to Holland. Otherwise, they could still be among the millions of poor people in India of today. This person has a PhD and an MBA. So do not even think he is a low lifer?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 7:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
see you just mension somebody said i challege you to state all the countries you are claming to have traveled to,then name how many are better than Nigeria and lastly tell me when last you stepped your foot on Nigeria soil.it is most sicking when its the same Nigerians going round pulling Nigerias image down then crying fowl

As for the suriname you are making noise about they can not compete with a local government in Nigeria,there population is less than 600,000 and there gdp is less that 4billion usd.so educate yourself well before you condem Nigeria,like i said i have traveled so i cant be fooled any longer.i suggest you do the same toO and ask yourself why your western press are hell bent on deciving the world about Africa why they are the once causeing all the problems in Africa

spectroscopic:

Lol

I have traveled very widely and still do, even with my Nigerian passport. Obtaining the US passport only makes it easier. You should have realized that I did not fall from the sky and begin to feel that things are not working well as they should be in Africa. That feeling is borne out of what I have experienced in Europe (9 countries) North America (all 3 countries) South/Central America (8 countries) Caribbean Islands (5 countries), Africa (uncountable countries) Asia/Middle East (10 countries). I have not been to Australia and NZ, although I have been involved in work conducted in NZ as recently as 6 months ago.

I have a Dutch colleague who is of Indian-Surinames origin, and he often tells me that in hindsight, most Indian-Surinames in Holland are actually happy that their forefathers were enslaved and taken to Suriname, and then to Holland. Otherwise, they could still be among the millions of poor people in India of today. This person has a PhD and an MBA. So do not even think he is a low lifer?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by charzyh2: 7:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:

Without adding that attractant in the title you likely would not be on this thread. You can see how little of it was mentioned in the main article. So, my dear friend, that was strategic.
you must be a great author
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 7:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
onoja12:
To add to it please note Nigeria is on a growth rate of 7%-7.5% that is among the top ten highest growth rate in the world,so for those of you who haven't traveled and are been deceived into thinking anywhere is better than Nigeria,note that it is only 19 countries better than Nigeria in the whole world.economically speaking

Most of the Nigerians i speak to who have gotten lost in foreign lands and begin to mislead people after been mislead by foreign press give same answer please click the link below for Nigeria GDP as for the 90%,i don't need links for that i have travelled that region regularly,so i can compare myself.but just incase you doubt it click the second link

http://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp-ranking-2014-data-and-charts

https://www.nairaland.com/1970725/countries-smaller-gdp-than-lagos

But most countries with big GDP have translated their big GDP into tangible benefits for the citizens. Is the same true for Nigeria? How about Africa as a whole?

I know it's good to be patriotic, but it's is bad to be blindly patriotic. I will criticize when there is need, and there has never been a time to criticize than now.

Please come here and read me https://www.nairaland.com/1843642/narrative-africas-denizens-land-food#27613088

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 7:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You have no shame. Is INNOSON not in this same Nigeria? In this same ''Africa''? This is a man who started from nothing, and today, is reknowned for being Africa's first indigenous car manufacturer. In this same Nigeria, fortunes are being made by educated people in real estate, banking, law, construction, and other disciplines. Agriculture is now seen as a credible business. The economy is expanding rapidly, now the continent's largest, meaning we are doing a lot of things right, as a nation. Where do YOU come in? As the little, inferiority complex afflicted escapee who thinks being in America is synonymous with heaven? Thanks for your diatribe, but as you can see, we think you're pathetic. As for the nonsense about India, the average Indian is poorer than the average African, as shown by the latest studies:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/india-far-poorer-than-africa-new-measure-shows/story-e6frg6so-1225891801078?nk=1e87f9719f897a8c55cac4bce6105de8

India has definitely NOT ''since moved on, and become self-sustaining in many development indices that African countries can only dream of''. So save your inferiority complex induced lies against Nigeria and Africa for your fellow slave-minded, beer parlour ignorants.

You are shooting from too many angles.

And you have picked India out of the many countries of the world that share the history of colonialism and slavery like Nigeria. Lol

So, let me pick just the same one: India. Where do you want to compare India and Nigeria? To begin with, many Nigerians go to India for medical reasons. Many doctors in Nigeria are Indians. Many companies in Nigeria are owned by Indians. What is the reverse situation? Indian universities are becoming global institutions, some are ranked among the best in the world, certainly in IT and Engineering. Nearly half of the IT experts in Silicon Valley are Indians. India has produced a governor in America, the head of the powerful USAID (which gives millions to countries such as Nigeria) is an American of Indian Origin. The scientific and technological indications emanating from India are light years ahead of those from Nigeria. This is just india, let alone Singapore, Brazil and the other countries.

What is India's GDP compared to Nigeria?

Of course, by virtue of its higher population, there are still millions of poor people in India. But do the math by weighting the population of India v Nigeria, and see between them which is, overall more advanced.

2 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by ikeugbo(m): 7:41pm On Oct 31, 2014
Well countries have their own issues, USA have shot its eyes to the school shootings regarding it as normal, also racism is still an issue despite their growth, even UK has seen radicalism from inside and outside yet turn a blind eye to it. All countries have issues CNN, BBC only report bad news because it sells fast, all countries try to handle their issues. If you are offered a position in govt there is an 80% certainty that you would loot except you fear God if not man tends to overcome fear and twist laws at anytime to suit their plans.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 7:45pm On Oct 31, 2014
ikeugbo:
Well countries have their own issues, USA have shot its eyes to the school shootings regarding it as normal, also racism is still an issue despite their growth, even UK has seen radicalism from inside and outside yet turn a blind eye to it. All countries have issues CNN, BBC only report bad news because it sells fast, all countries try to handle their issues. If you are offered a position in govt there is an 80% certainty that you would loot except you fear God if not man tends to overcome fear and twist laws at anytime to suit their plans.

We keep going round and round in circle. What is stopping us from having an African TV or radio station that shows the good things going on in Africa to the rest of the world? And by jove, there are many pockets of good things going on there.

Are you saying we cannot as a continent have an equivalent of BBC, CNN, Aljazeera, etc?

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:

Thank you for that response to him. Right there in Nigeria, they worship foreigners in their own country. And someone is here pretending as if Nigerians back home are some tough cookies.

BTW, interesting that you have been involved in a DFID project. I am linked to several USAID projects too.
Yeah. Gems2.
http://gemsnigeria.com/gems-2/
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 7:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
onoja12:
see you just mension somebody said i challege you to state all the countries you are claming to have traveled to,then name how many are better than Nigeria and lastly tell me when last you stepped your foot on Nigeria soil.it is most sicking when its the same Nigerians going round pulling Nigerias image down then crying fowl

As for the suriname you are making noise about they can not compete with a local government in Nigeria,there population is less than 600,000 and there gdp is less that 4billion usd.so educate yourself well before you condem Nigeria,like i said i have traveled so i cant be fooled any longer.i suggest you do the same toO and ask yourself why your western press are hell bent on deciving the world about Africa why they are the once causeing all the problems in Africa

Quick facts: Suriname versus Nigeria
Suriname
GDP 5 Billion (USD)
GDP PPP 12, 398 USD
GINI 52.9
HDI 0.705

Nigeria
GDP 1.018 Trillion (USD)
PPP 5, 600
GINI 48.8
HDI 0.5

So you can see that despite our by far greater GDP, an average Surinamese in Suriname (not talking of those in Holland) is doing about twice better than an average Nigerian (considering PPP) in Nigeria
Their GINI and HDI values are also higher. Do you know what GINI and HDI mean?

You are comparing Suriname to a Nigerian LGA, how many LGAs in Nigeria have a GDP of 5 billion USD, and how many states in Nigeria are even self sustaining, without the oil wealth from other states?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by adconline(m): 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2014
davitogreat:

Americans and other citizens of developed countries complain but at least they contribute their quota to the development of their country and when the situation arises they will defend their country's with their lives.

Many africans on the other hand don't do shyt. they only know how to cry and complain and hide in foreign lands, but guess what... While africans are b.itching and hiding in foreign lands, foreigners like the chinesse, Indians, Europeans and Arabs are doing thier research and making inroads into the african continent and establishing businesses and acquiring wealth.

Let me tell you. Forget the nigerian government for a minute. Right now there are so much opportunities in nigeria. If only privileged Nigerians like the thread starter could have thier eyes opened to it.

After all the CEO and founder of interswitch Mitchell elegbe is someone who schooled and lived in America, but unlike thread starter he saw the opportunities in nigeria and decided to return to the country and with his limited business knowledge he established interswitch ltd which contributes to the nations economy and employs thousands of Nigerians.

The truth is my anger is more focused towards the privileged Nigerians like the thread starter. If a poor nigerian man hawking on the street, or a market woman struggling to survive said this I would not blame them, but when someone who is privileged and educated like the thread starter begins to think like this considering the wealth of knowledge he has available then something is wrong.
What the phock are u talking about? Nigerians in diaspora send more money home than Naija's budget every year! Diasporans are greatest investors in Naija through FDI...

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 8:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
adconline:

What the phock are u talking about? Nigerians in diaspora send more money home than Naija's budget every year! Diasporans are greatest investors in Naija through FDI...

Gbam. My own FDI alone is in the 10s of 1000s annually. And that is just ''poor'' me. Really big shot Nigerians abroad are doing great service to the country from FDI remittances.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
adconline:

He must have missed out one of my post above.

next to petrodollars, the second biggest source of foreign exchange earnings for Nigeria is remittance from Nigerians from abroad.

''FOREIGN aids and Diaspora remittances are key relief to poor Africans. While foreign aides have stagnated in recent years, remittances become the financial lifeline.

In 2012, Africans received $32 billion from their sons and daughters abroad. The 17 million officially documented Nigerians in the Diaspora funneled a whopping sum of $21 billion to the country as against the $23 billion they sent in 2011. With growing Diaspora communities in Europe, America and Asia, the figure is growing tremendously.''
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/business/177970-diaspora-remittance-africa-s-billion-dollar-loss-to-intermediation
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by adconline(m): 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:

Gbam. My own FDI alone is in the 10s of 1000s annually. And that is just ''poor'' me. Really big shot Nigerians abroad are doing great service to the country from FDI remittances.
These are tracked financial transmissions validated by IMF, Banks, WorldBank, UNDP, Etc. We are not taking about goods and services sent by Diasporans, we are not talking about IOUs- ie- Uncle, please give my brother N100k and I'll pay u in December when I come back.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by adconline(m): 8:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
saxywale:

He must have missed out one of my post above.

next to petrodollars, the second biggest source of foreign exchange earnings for Nigeria is remittance from Nigerians from abroad.

''FOREIGN aids and Diaspora remittances are key relief to poor Africans. While foreign aides have stagnated in recent years, remittances become the financial lifeline.

In 2012, Africans received $32 billion from their sons and daughters abroad. The 17 million officially documented Nigerians in the Diaspora funneled a whopping sum of $21 billion to the country as against the $23 billion they sent in 2011. With growing Diaspora communities in Europe, America and Asia, the figure is growing tremendously.''
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/business/177970-diaspora-remittance-africa-s-billion-dollar-loss-to-intermediation

These are tracked financial transmissions validated by IMF, Banks, WorldBank, UNDP, Etc. We are not taking about goods and services sent by Diasporans, we are not talking about IOUs- ie- Uncle, please give my brother N100k and I'll pay u in December when I come back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2014
i laugh,i wouldnt waste my time arguing with you,suriname is nowhere near Nigeria not talk of states like Lagos or Abuja or River or akwaibom or Kano,we probably can compare it with Kogi state.so i leave you with your ignorance.but desist from condeming Nigeria in public,if you dont like Nigeria,please head the atlanta or washinton or newyork and hand in your passport plus denounce your citizenship because Nigeria does not need slaves,we are trying to out grow slave mentality and we definately wouldnt allow people like you drag us back

spectroscopic:

Quick facts: Suriname versus Nigeria
Suriname
GDP 5 Billion (USD)
GDP PPP 12, 398 USD
GINI 52.9
HDI 0.705

Nigeria
GDP 1.018 Trillion (USD)
PPP 5, 600
GINI 48.8
HDI 0.5

So you can see that despite our by far greater GDP, an average Surinamese in Suriname (not talking of those in Holland) is doing about twice better than an average Nigerian (considering PPP) in Nigeria
Their GINI and HDI values are also higher. Do you know what GINI and HDI mean?

You are comparing Suriname to a Nigerian LGA, how many LGAs in Nigeria have a GDP of 5 billion USD, and how many states in Nigeria are even self sustaining, without the oil wealth from other states?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by ibe9ja: 8:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
Braindead Op.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 8:32pm On Oct 31, 2014
onoja12:
i laugh,i wouldnt waste my time arguing with you,suriname is nowhere near Nigeria not talk of states like Lagos or Abuja or River or akwaibom or Kano,we probably can compare it with Kogi state.so i leave you with your ignorance.but desist from condeming Nigeria in public,if you dont like Nigeria,please head the atlanta or washinton or newyork and hand in your passport plus denounce your citizenship because Nigeria does not need slaves,we are trying to out grow slave mentality and we definately wouldnt allow people like you drag us back

You see facts now and you are grumbling, abi? Tell me how an average Nigerian is better than an average Surinamese.

You have a large GDP and a large population
They have a small GDP and a small population
At the end of the day, from the same GDP v population data, the average Surinames is better than the average Nigerian.
If you cannot accept this basic economic truth, then I will leave you to yourself.

I am not coming on here to tell you that Suriname is a giant. In fact it is a rat; but Nigeria too is just a bigger rat, not a giant. Some of the real giants would be countries with high a population, a high GDP and a high GDP PPP (at least higher than Nigeria) at the same time.

Of the 36 Nigerian states, how many can survive, were oil to be removed from the system today? Suriname has no oil, remember?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 8:47pm On Oct 31, 2014
u make me laugh,your thinking is slave like,tell me without the oil which of the middle eastern country plus russia and canada would be were it is,and secondly who told you Nigerian GDP is made up of mostly oil,oil accounts for less than 50%.as for facts,you are just home pressing your computer you have no first hand knowledge,i do.you are still yet to name the countries and when last you were in NIGERIA.like i said please stop condemning Nigeria in public,if you are tired of been a Nigerian ,go and renounce your citizenship,because Nigeria doesn't need slaves like you

spectroscopic:

You see facts now and you are grumbling, abi? Tell me how an average Nigerian is better than an average Surinamese.

You have a large GDP and a large population
They have a small GDP and a small population
At the end of the day, from the same GDP v population data, the average Surinames is better than the average Nigerian.
If you cannot accept this basic economic truth, then I will leave you to yourself.

I am not coming on here to tell you that Suriname is a giant. In fact it is a rat; but Nigeria too is just a bigger rat, not a giant. Some of the real giants would be countries with high a population, a high GDP and a high GDP PPP (at least higher than Nigeria) at the same time.

Of the 36 Nigerian states, how many can survive, were oil to be removed from the system today? Suriname has no oil, remember?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by cocoduck: 8:51pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:

But most countries with big GDP have translated their big GDP into tangible benefits for the citizens. Is the same true for Nigeria? How about Africa as a whole?

I know it's good to be patriotic, but it's is bad to be blindly patriotic. I will criticize when there is need, and there has never been a time to criticize than now.

Please come here and read me https://www.nairaland.com/1843642/narrative-africas-denizens-land-food#27613088
what many do not understand is that there is no free money any where on this planet. You don't expect them to be doling out money just like that, that there is a lot of money does not mean one has to fling money left right and centre. his will you get money when you have little or nothing to offer in terms of skills? now a lot of people will say only foreigners are considered, that is not entirely correct. you must prove yourself before you are given a big project to handle. a lot of us want to strike it big right from day one which is not possible in the real world. I still maintain that as far as you have skills people are willing to pay for, even if you don't drive a Bentley or Aston martin, you will never beg for food or anything. having skills opens new opportunities and connection which will prove useful when there is a big project to be handled.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by cocoduck: 8:54pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:

We keep going round and round in circle. What is stopping us from having an African TV or radio station that shows the good things going on in Africa to the rest of the world? And by jove, there are many pockets of good things going on there.

Are you saying we cannot as a continent have an equivalent of BBC, CNN, Aljazeera, etc?
what are you waiting for?

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 9:04pm On Oct 31, 2014
onoja12:
u make me laugh,your thinking is slave like,tell me without the oil which of the middle eastern country plus russia and canada would be were it is,and secondly who told you Nigerian GDP is made up of mostly oil,oil accounts for less than 50%.as for facts,you are just home pressing your computer you have no first hand knowledge,i do.you are still yet to name the countries and when last you were in NIGERIA.like i said please stop condemning Nigeria in public,if you are tired of been a Nigerian ,go and renounce your citizenship,because Nigeria doesn't need slaves like you

Why do I have to name specific countries I have visited to you? Next, you will ask to see the stamps in my passport, yes?

Dude, you are pushing this and making it personal, with a lot of insults. Can we discuss the topic and not me, please?
Nigeria belongs to all of us and the earlier we learn how to take criticism (I have not even dissed any political party here) of our country, the earlier we can grow out of our problems. If you think Nigeria has no problems, then you must be living in planet Mars. I was in Nigeria as late as August, and would be there again December. You do not know the nature of my profession.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
cocoduck:

what many do not understand is that there is no free money any where on this planet. You don't expect them to be doling out money just like that, that there is a lot of money does not mean one has to fling money left right and centre. his will you get money when you have little or nothing to offer in terms of skills? now a lot of people will say only foreigners are considered, that is not entirely correct. you must prove yourself before you are given a big project to handle. a lot of us want to strike it big right from day one which is not possible in the real world. I still maintain that as far as you have skills people are willing to pay for, even if you don't drive a Bentley or Aston martin, you will never beg for food or anything. having skills opens new opportunities and connection which will prove useful when there is a big project to be handled.

No one is asking for money to be shared just like that, even though your leaders have already shared all the billions amongst themselves and their families. But what are other countries doing well that we are yet to embrace? There are many.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2014
cocoduck:

what are you waiting for?

I do not have the money to set up a TV station that would rival CNN. Are you satisfied now? There are other Africans, and certainly African governments, who can do that. Why are they lost in space?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by cocoduck: 10:01pm On Oct 31, 2014
spectroscopic:

I do not have the money to set up a TV station that would rival CNN. Are you satisfied now? There are other Africans, and certainly African governments, who can do that. Why are they lost in space?
then please keep quiet about this issue.
what happened to good old YouTube.com
go and open a channel on YouTube.
it is free of charge.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 10:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
cocoduck:

then please keep quiet about this issue.
what happened to good old YouTube.com
go and open a channel on YouTube.
it is free of charge.

You need to educate yourself on my antecedent. Perhaps you can start from here. https://www.nairaland.com/1843642/narrative-africas-denizens-land-food

Let's discuss more after you have read the stuff in that link. Have a good weekend.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2014
saxywale:

Yeah. Gems2.
http://gemsnigeria.com/gems-2/

Cool. Well done. But sorry the website I would have shown about my work has me in it. I prefer to remain anonymous.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by spectroscopic: 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2014
adconline:

Sure, and even those IOUs are significant too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Senator John Shagaya Dies In Accident (Photo) / Unresolved Issues Delay Formal Announcement Of Obi As Atiku’s Running Mate / Burial Of 3 Shiite Members Shot Dead By Police In Bauchi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.