Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? (37485 Views)

A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! / Challenging The Skeptics / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by zappyj(m): 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
There are no atheists in hell grin

8 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Sall(m): 2:04pm On Nov 04, 2014
Have been an ethiest all my life my entire family's knows that and my parents and they respect my decitions . They don't even brother to talk to me about religion anymore. When it comes to arguing about religion they all back down even if they are 10 to 1.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by ScorchedViper(m): 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2014
I try (meekly) to hide my agnosticism.... Hell will freeze over if any of my family members actually find out....

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
all d atheist in d house convince me dat there is no God

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
I dare not make my atheistic stance known to people because I am aware that Nigerians are a very closed minded people and are mostly religious fanatics. And when you are in the midst of religious fanatics and don't at least pretend to be a believer, you will suffer isolation and that will be detrimental to your personal development.
So, I keep my atheism to myself. In fact I even go to church, though i know that no amount of preaching will ever make me believe in the existence of a god. Except there's any scientific proof to that effect.

4 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by bookiee(f): 2:16pm On Nov 04, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

I'm an academic, so in my academic circles, I freely discuss about my irreligiousity and I'm notorious for shutting religious academics up in my school. To their credit, they're much easier to debate than folks on Nairaland because they are scientifically minded, and are given to reason.

Whenever I visit my parent's home though, I'm a closet atheist, not because my family will harm me, but because my mama is quite the drama queen, so I don't want to ruffle her feathers because no matter what, mummy is mummy, if you know what I mean... cool grin

and your name is agentofallah
is allah a science person?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 2:18pm On Nov 04, 2014
Gaystar:

Super pretender, when in your profile, you actually show cased your religiosity by stating why you believe God does not exist but Allah and how Mohammad is his only prophet. Fact is, you are Muslim simple

I actually do not believe in any imaginary god idea of the arabs called allah and his deluded weed smoking arabic slave called Mohammed. The mods in the useless islamic section did that to my profile because i clicked on it, i ended up not making a post in the section.

4 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 04, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

I'm an academic, so in my academic circles, I freely discuss about my irreligiousity and I'm notorious for shutting religious academics up in my school. To their credit, they're much easier to debate than folks on Nairaland because they are scientifically minded, and are given to reason.

Whenever I visit my parent's home though, I'm a closet atheist, not because my family will harm me, but because my mama is quite the drama queen, so I don't want to ruffle her feathers because no matter what, mummy is mummy, if you know what I mean... cool grin
Maybe you should change your user name. Atheists don't believe in Allah. If you are an agent of Allah, then.... go figure!
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by GodMode: 2:19pm On Nov 04, 2014
penquin:
all d atheist in d house convince me dat there is no God

Oya... Run to the middle of the road and tell god to stop all the cars without an accident occurring.

Or

Drink or eat poison and tell god to heal you...

10 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by salt1: 2:22pm On Nov 04, 2014
Where is Mosquito? He used to be very vocal on topics like this.

Btw I am a Christian, unashamedly so . I have nothing to contribute here. I have nothing to hide

4 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Adwexky(m): 2:23pm On Nov 04, 2014
Atigba:
My colleagues are all awear that am not a religions person...we had uncountless religions debates in the office so when issues that has to do with religion spring up like they want to go for prayer,I will be excepted.

My mum is not aware am agnostic don't want to break her heart she is a deaconess in Assemblies of God

When ever am home for exmas I play along with them
This is unbelievable.
*Mum is a Deacon and You are an Agnostic person.
*But deeply within her (mum), her prayer might be that you should be tagged A Pastor, in the future (nearest).
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Lordave: 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
alingo4life:

Was born and bred in Assemblies of God here in Ibadan. My whole family knows. Both immediate and Extended. Both in Europe and America.but I don't give a hoot. Former church members. A reverend even called me not too long ago. It's their wahala sha.I got my life to live jare.
You get mind!

Perhaps your parents don't care, but my dad still encourages everyone of us on church going each time he calls. Doesn't even want to hear that someone missed Sunday School. I'm so scared to fall his for that aspect, though I don't attend church anymore and he doesn't know.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:
How many people know you as an atheist (offline)? Family? Friends?

Do you hide as an atheist (offline)?

Do you avoid people knowing you as an atheist or avoid discussions that will lead to it?

Do you feel threatened, uncomfortable by people knowing you as an atheist?

I need your answers, thanks.

The only person I wouldn't want to know I'm an atheist is my mum cos she's the very religious type and also a deaconess in her church and it would break her heart. Invariably if my siblings and other family members know my mum will get to know so I don't declare to them as well , to them I'm a surface christian but a christian all the same. Every other person in my life knows about my religious disbelief ( and I have had it for quite a while ). I remember while in secondary school , sss 1 to be precise , my biology teacher was teaching us about cells and the wonderful creations of god , I raised my hand , thinking I wanted to ask a question , told me to rise and speak , I promptly told her I didn't believe in god. The class fell silent for what seemed like eons only for her to break the silence by uttering the words "Jesus Christ". I was later called to the staff room and preached to for about 3 hours by all members of teaching staff . Till date I always keep getting asked if I now believe in god ( Was asked at a friends wedding in May by an old class mate I had not seen in 12 years )

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by cold(m): 2:35pm On Nov 04, 2014
My mum has come to terms with my decision. She says it's a phase,that someday god would reveal himself to me. Ok i'm still waiting. Besides,I don't go about screaming 'there is no god' like my christian brothers and sisters who scream their selves hoarse threatening anybody who cares to listen with fire & brimstone if they fail to repent. I just do me & mind my own business until they approach me with fliers and their fake smiles..'hello sir we'd like to talk to you about Jesus'. I go 'oh really,so what did he do this time?' Before they'd respond i politely tell them i have no patience for frivolities like god or his carpenter son. In fact, i'm an atheist. You can see their eyes literally popping out of their sockets..'a Nigerian Atheist?' They scream,how is that possible? 'What happened to you?' 'Why are you angry?' ' Didn't your parents raise you up as a good christian?' 'Please let's talk about it,god still wants you back' 'oh my, i really feel for you'. (Lol someone actually told me that). I simply advise them not to dissipate their time and focus their energies on easier targets they can prey upon

9 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Strongfaze(m): 2:35pm On Nov 04, 2014
I've only seen individuals who unfortunately doubt even their own existence! They claim to be an Atheist by nature. Who told you because you stopped going to church/ mosque alone makes you an Atheist? Latest research by scientist in Europe after an experiment now agree that there is life after death. *and don't ask me, google it yourself* (warning- stop pouring your frustration on God)

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Samsonklin(m): 2:35pm On Nov 04, 2014
I belive in God buh I do nt go to church. Wat r my kind called?
I need ur answers., thanks.

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Bobbyjay001(m): 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2014
Am ain't an atheist but not that am religious. This thread and the quotes therein make me wonder if religious beliefs should be taken serious. As it is today, Nigeria 'l nt stil remain under-developed,ill-equipped and an "agbaya lasan-lasan" for that matter, upon the world class pastors and churches we have that proudly claim naija as their root and source. Many vigils,many fasting and prayers,instead of things to be better,it's going rot deeper and deeper.

5 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
Strongfaze:
I've only seen individuals who unfortunately doubt even their own existence! They claim to be an Atheist by nature. Who told you because you stopped going to church/ mosque alone makes you an Atheist? Latest research by scientist in Europe after an experiment now agree that there is life after death. *and don't ask me, google it yourself* (warning- stop pouring your frustration on God)

Life after death does not necessarily mean that there is a God.

7 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by sholly28(m): 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
Idontbilifit, end time....
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by segzicres(m): 2:40pm On Nov 04, 2014
I wouldn't say I'm an atheist, cause the earth and everything in it's got form and certain patterns.
but ion believe all that bs about already having a laid out life and other bs stories, I only know there is a creator out there.

but I totally understand atheist. I do believe religion was created to put humans in check. So to me religion is false.

5 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by lolaxavier(m): 2:40pm On Nov 04, 2014
I renounced religion some years ago and everyone knows i don't do religion any more. My dad and mum are very much aware and likewise my siblings. They try as much as possible to convince me that there is one supreme being somewhere waving a magic stick but it just doesn't make sense to me and seriously, i don't want it to make sense. I even tried convincing my two ex-pastors to forget religion. I always tell those who care to listen to convert and devote the energy they are expending on praying for me to change back to christianity to better their own lives because i care less about those sh.it. I don't go about announcing it but whoever decides to ask will know.

I owe no one any explanation about what i choose to do and i rarely argue on the topic 'Who created this world?' or 'where will you go after death? I am less bothered how it came into existence. I am more concerned about doing my time faithfully and diligently here on earth and when it is time to pack up, then i'll find my square root.

5 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by PROCTOR: 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2014
Only a FOOL will look up to the sky and say there is no God

4 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2014
I'm a theist...I believe that some invisible hand or higher power put us here for a reason. I am not sold on any organized religion or dogma though as they are rooted in human follies...too limited in scope to define who or what this hidden omniscience could be.

My parents are devout Catholics so I keep my beliefs to myself.

Honestly I believe that science will define what this "god" being is before Islam or Christianity would but that is another topic altogether.

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by obisage(m): 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2014
wow... I was think I am alone.
never knew I have countless
people that reason the way I do.

anyway, it's only my younger sister
that lives me that knows I don't go
to church, my family is not religion
crazy, but I know they won't be happy
if they get to know I don't go to church
anymore.

but believe me, now I know true happiness
and freedom... religion is a prison!

8 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 04, 2014
barcanista:
An Atheist friend once said "Thank God that there is no God"

This got me looool , I haven't laughed this hard in a long while.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
I was an Atheist...but i found out something wasn't right...d emptiness wasn't..so I had to sought the lord like water n i flourished like a tree planted by the rivers of water..

I Pour my love on you
Like oil upon your feet..
Like wine for you to drink..
Like water from my heart

4 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Ishilove: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Hmmm. My co-workers know am dismissive of Yahweh and the Arab god and all the other imaginary gods that ever existed.My wife strongly suspects i dont share the 'faith' anymore but she keeps hoping i will come back. She is praying. She even brought a pastor to the house 2 weeks ago in order for him to re- convert me; the enterprise was of course a failure!
Other family members do not know but i think they will get to know if they look well; its only a matter of time.
You have a very good wife.

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
Nah openly atheist. I have a deeply religious mum but open minded father(now late). I come from a house where if you excelled else where (academics, business, sports etc) your irreligiosity can be excused smiley

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
I'm a Freethinker but society slang it as atheist,the op is just another example,only one thing is common among us "INTELLIGENCE",what's the essence of a thinking man brain on earth after being lied to that another thinking man in heaven created him when logically it is proven that homo sapien is thinking man,I just hope the theist comprehend that without denial....Back to the the op's question I was 13 when I first told a uncle of mine that I don't really see the essence of religion meaning I developed an analytical mind quite early in life although my parents often force me to go to church which made sunday a terrible day for me when approaching so sometimes I come up with flimsy excuses just to skip out on going to church,I'm in the university now and done satisfied my curiousity that religion in its diversity is nothing but gullibility and hypocrisy,I don't see the difference between the wrong and the wrong is what I tell people who come around or near me to spit religious bars to me because I know one fact....TRUTH IS NEVER MEASURED IN MASS APPEAL.

11 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by GodMode: 2:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
People need to understand this:

Every child is born with an "empty brain"...

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 04, 2014
GodMode:

Oya... Run to the middle of the road and tell god to stop all the cars without an accident occurring.

Or

Drink or eat poison and tell god to heal you...

Convince me that heaven/hell is not real
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Demichaels: 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:
How many people know you as an atheist (offline)? Family? Friends?

Do you hide as an atheist (offline)?

Do you avoid people knowing you as an atheist or avoid discussions that will lead to it?

Do you feel threatened, uncomfortable by people knowing you as an atheist?

I need your answers, thanks.

The FOOL has said in his HEART there is no GOD.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

I Think I'm Losing My Belief / See 5 Things I Did As A Teenager That I Still Benefit From As An Adult (pictures / Seat Causes Quarrel At The Experience 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.