Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,834 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? (37489 Views)

A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! / Challenging The Skeptics / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by AgentOfAllah: 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
QMark:

How come your name is AgentofAllah?
I once was. Now I'm a renegade agent!

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by AgentOfAllah: 4:05pm On Nov 04, 2014
bookiee:

and your name is agentofallah
is allah a science person?

Allah is a fictional character...nothing to do with science, more...how to say...magical!

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by AgentOfAllah: 4:06pm On Nov 04, 2014
Fit2Rule:

Maybe you should change your user name. Atheists don't believe in Allah. If you are an agent of Allah, then.... go figure!
Does my current username trouble you?

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by alingo4life: 4:21pm On Nov 04, 2014
Lordave:
You get mind!

Perhaps your parents don't care, but my dad still encourages everyone of us on church going each time he calls. Doesn't even want to hear that someone missed Sunday School. I'm so scared to fall his for that aspect, though I don't attend church anymore and he doesn't know.
They do my dear broda. Dad still preaches to me to be born.again. Anyway.guess I come from a liberal family. They don't force anything on their children. As long as you have committed any crime.ure good to go. They can only keep on telling praying and preaching to you.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
cirmuell:
Never met one offline... I'm indifferent anyway, so there's no poo if I encounter one, offline. Just don't try and shove your "no God" shii in my face.

You get it wrong it's your kind that try to shove the "god almighty" in our faces

6 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by basille(m): 4:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ha! i rubbed my atheism in the faces of my course mates, hostel mates and friends. Even my parents had hints as to my believe.
At first, i was reluctant to argue with people, but then seeing how irrational some people tend to be and how excellent i was with arguments, i started whooping their assés with rational and logical arguments. Heck i once made this religious girl (who was always attacking me) in my hostel sound stupid in front of a congregation, she was so damn embarrassed! She was the first amongst many others.

As of now, its a different ball game, it seems people are now the ones afraid to confront me of my believes, even my parents. I guess their afraid to admit that "I'm a lost soul" or that they see a hint of truth in what i believe, Lol.

Though i no longer consider myself an atheist, I'm more like a "guy searching for truth".

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
My sisters be like 'you don't talk like someone that was dedicated in the church, what's wrong with you?"

And I'm like "Nothing's wrong with me, I'm only asking questions and trying to reason ni"

I'm not an atheist btw, I just don't understand many of the religious stuff, they seriously need to keep their stories straight, these days, I try so hard not to get into religious topics, they always give me the "you are doomed" look, even when I know they are planning on committing 'sin' after the discussion,so I leave them to their business.

I do go to church sometimes though grin.

Don't worry you'll get there soon , by the way how are you ?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:
How many people know you as an atheist (offline)?
1 person. But many more are beginning to suspect. They've even given a nickname o! "Karl Marx aka The Philosopher"
Family?
0. None.
Friends?
1. Jonathan. A friend and fellow atheist. We use to come together to discuss and further "confuse" ourselves hehehe...so we lost faith at about the same time.

Do you hide as an atheist (offline)?
no. But neither do I announce it at open air crusades. I, sha, never fail in giving off some inkling of my strong disbelief when the opportunity presents itself.

Do you avoid people knowing you as an atheist or avoid discussions that will lead to it?
No, that I've been able to convince my deeply religious, Pascal Wager clinching mother that the bible is not inerrant and infallable as she has believed for most of her life and pushed my theology diploma holding, elder (/deaconed) father to dig down into his Dake and Strong, and other commentaries for an answer to a single one of my questions during a family bible study is enough evidence that I don't back away from religious discussions that may unmask me as a agnostic atheist.
I somehow wish I can have more of such discussion, I love the frustrated and pitiably confuzzled look on their faces when they can't give me an answer...most recently that look was on the face of a good, committed christian lady I really liked, in retrospect I should have held my horses. :-/

Do you feel threatened, uncomfortable by people knowing you as an atheist?
I don't have a straight answer for this one o. It'll be a tough experience for me when my family finds out about my deconversion, because they really take the doctrine of hell too serious and it'll be to them like knowing certainly that I'll be eternal seperated from them even before the 'eternity' begins...but why do you think I'm commenting on an FP thread of a nigerian forum where my relative or neighbor or brother could be logged in? when I have my picture up in my profile and some personal information in my diary on the diary section, is it a smart move if I don't want to be found out and confronted? May be it's because I want to be found out but I don't want to tell.

I need your answers, thanks.
thanks also.

6 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
penquin:
all d atheist in d house convince me dat there is no God
Failed from the start

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by QMark: 4:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

I once was. Now I'm a renegade agent!

Oh! Ok.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by freecocoa(f): 4:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
neoapocalypse:

Don't worry you'll get there soon , by the way how are you ?
I am good, you?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by duerap: 4:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
Op, why didnt you just say, fools, please identify yourselves?

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Gabson91(m): 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2014
You need encounters atimes to convince you. Jesus is real my friends.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 04, 2014
duerap:
Ikechukwu, clap for yourself, well done! grin

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by hungryboy(m): 4:50pm On Nov 04, 2014
Few of my pals do know, i won't risk telling my mum and the rest of my extended family,
i no wan make dem call family meeting on top my matter

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by hungryboy(m): 4:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
Gabson91:
You need encounters atimes to convince you. Jesus is real my friends.
Lord shiva is real my friend, Buddha loves u my friend

5 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Lanceslot(m): 4:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
penquin:
all d atheist in d house convince me dat there is no God
Only if you can convince me that there is god.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ishilove:

Aha!! I knew it. undecided

You should be happy, open-minded and welcoming.. sister ishi. for good measure I downloaded Islamic ringtones to my phone and set it on very loud. my colleagues are a bit worried that i might have turned. grin my wife is fanatically catholic charismatic though

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
duerap:

now there is some God-trait in you.. the fruit does not fall to far from the tree

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 04, 2014
After observing comments from atheists and agnostics (both online and offline), I've concluded that most become so because of any of the follow reasons: 1. Religious hypocrisy (mostly on the part of religious leaders), 2. Atrocities committed in the name of religion, 3. illogical and dogmatic (unreasonable, if you like) religious beliefs and practices. I have observed this also and i try to understand how these persons feel. but the truth is, the fact that a valuable tool is misused or mishandled doesn't make it useless. (eg; people get killed in auto crashes because of the recklessness of drivers and motorist, but it doesn't prevent people from buying and using cars). Similarly the fact that many atrocities have been committed in God's name doesn't mean he doesn't exist or his existence is not provable. There are many evidences in the bible (and in science) to prove God's existence and explain much of the atrocities you see committed in the name of religion. Being one who has been faced with such doubts, I've had to do many researches and soul searching to prove to myself the existence of God, or otherwise,(and believe me, doubting God's existence is not the easy way out; the thoughts just doesn't go away). I'll suggest my guys here do the same too. Many atheist and agnostics have done so and have had to reconsider their stand.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by MissTeaseMe(f): 5:06pm On Nov 04, 2014
lastchild:
This thread reminds me my days of atheism,never agreed with anyone about things of God

Never knew I had a spiritual problem which I always refuse to accept its reality whenever it occurs,always looking for a physical excuse to hold onto when ever it manifest

Till it got to a stage I could no longer disregard,I had to run for my dear life,I ran to mountain of fire for back up

The truth of this matter be say,I'll never blame any atheist because I used to be one,I only see them now as people who never had any encounter with anything spiritual,although some of them do but refuse to accept it like I used to
Please share the experience.
I would love to know what "spiritual" encounter drove u back.

I dont think such exists tho i used to believe in spiritual things. Not anymore, but i am open to reason.

Thanks
Will be expecting you reply pls.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 5:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
Lifelong skeptic, stopped going to church at age 16. I do not hide my atheism from anyone. Anyone who has asked me gets an honest response. I am not in Nigeria but I am in West Africa.

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 04, 2014
lastchild:
This thread reminds me my days of atheism,never agreed with anyone about things of God

Never knew I had a spiritual problem which I always refuse to accept its reality whenever it occurs,always looking for a physical excuse to hold onto when ever it manifest

Till it got to a stage I could no longer disregard,I had to run for my dear life,I ran to mountain of fire for back up

The truth of this matter be say,I'll never blame any atheist because I used to be one,I only see them now as people who never had any encounter with anything spiritual,although some of them do but refuse to accept it like I used to
you were never an atheist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by tuagbo: 5:18pm On Nov 04, 2014
Lanceslot:
Only if you can convince me that there is god.
That will be an impossible feat for her.Just look at the way she types.That character can't even spell correctly.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by alexis007(m): 5:18pm On Nov 04, 2014
if you've got it,flaunt it...why are these atheists keeping their belief-system/state of mind hidden from other people?...Is 'atheism' a secret society of some sort?....the last time,i checked,atheism is better tolerated than gayism....be open about it...@ least you won't get lynched for going public about it tongue
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 04, 2014
Strongfaze:
I've only seen individuals who unfortunately doubt even their own existence! They claim to be an Atheist by nature. Who told you because you stopped going to church/ mosque alone makes you an Atheist? Latest research by scientist in Europe after an experiment now agree that there is life after death. *and don't ask me, google it yourself* (warning- stop pouring your frustration on God)

the news/claims are false. Its not scientific, its pseudoscience.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by MissTeaseMe(f): 5:21pm On Nov 04, 2014
PROCTOR:
Only a FOOL will look up to the sky and say there is no God
Only a mad man will look into the sea and say the fishes are a mistake,
Even the babalawos can testify that there is only one Jehovah...

All the same. Religion is a BIG fraud. All lies.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by tuagbo: 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2014
onetrack:
Lifelong skeptic, stopped going to church at age 16. I do not hide my atheism from anyone. Anyone who has asked me gets an honest response. I am not in Nigeria but I am in West Africa.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2014
segzicres:
I wouldn't say I'm an atheist, cause the earth and everything in it's got form and certain patterns.
but ion believe all that bs about already having a laid out life and other bs stories, I only know there is a creator out there.

but I totally understand atheist. I do believe religion was created to put humans in check. So to me religion is false.

you need to know about the cosmos, bigbang.

Dont ascribe nature to god, its called 'mother nature.'

nature doesnt have anything to do with god or any supernatural
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2014
alexis007:
if you've got it,flaunt it...why are these atheists keeping their belief-system/state of mind hidden from other people?...Is 'atheism' a secret society of some sort?....the last time,i checked,atheism is better tolerated than gayism....be open about it...@ least you won't get lynched for going public about it tongue
how are you sure? I'm from northern nigeria and one of my muslim school mates got taken to a mental institution for being open about his apostasy only recently, it would have been worst. Nna menh, wisdom is profitable to direct o!

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
My sisters be like 'you don't talk like someone that was dedicated in the church, what's wrong with you?"

And I'm like "Nothing's wrong with me, I'm only asking questions and trying to reason ni"

I'm not an atheist btw, I just don't understand many of the religious stuff, they seriously need to keep their stories straight, these days, I try so hard not to get into religious topics, they always give me the "you are doomed" look, even when I know they are planning on committing 'sin' after the discussion,so I leave them to their business.

I do go to church sometimes though grin.
The pretence and not keeping the word of God are what make religionists esp Nigerian Christians and Muslims not to question atheists or pple who sit on the fence. U can't claim to be any better when u can't absent from sins...can't have those moral bragging rights. It amazes how they configure and gather the guts. I always ask them...is there anything I'm doing wrongly you are not doing? On fb last time...one said it is hard to preach to unrepentant folks...I asked if he is not ashamed of having two pairs of shoes when his neighbor doesn't have a pair. Why do u have a bank account and investments? It's huge!
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
lolaxavier:

I owe no one any explanation about what i choose to do and i rarely argue on the topic 'Who created this world?' or 'where will you go after death? I am less bothered how it came into existence. I am more concerned about doing my time faithfully and diligently here on earth and when it is time to pack up, then i'll find my square root.

you're on point brother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Seat Causes Quarrel At The Experience 2019 / Pastor Tega Ahre Is Missing (Photo) / FG Suspends Adeboye’s Helicopter From Flying Over Expired Papers, Safety Concern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.