Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? (37488 Views)

A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! / Challenging The Skeptics / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
vfactor:
After observing comments from atheists and agnostics (both online and offline), I've concluded that most become so because of any of the follow reasons: 1. Religious hypocrisy (mostly on the part of religious leaders), 2. Atrocities committed in the name of religion, 3. illogical and dogmatic (unreasonable, if you like) religious beliefs and practices. I have observed this also and i try to understand how these persons feel. but the truth is, the fact that a valuable tool is misused or mishandled doesn't make it useless. (eg; people get killed in auto crashes because of the recklessness of drivers and motorist, but it doesn't prevent people from buying and using cars). Similarly the fact that many atrocities have been committed in God's name doesn't mean he doesn't exist or his existence is not provable. There are many evidences in the bible (and in science) to prove God's existence and explain much of the atrocities you see committed in the name of religion. Being one who has been faced with such doubts, I've had to do many researches and soul searching to prove to myself the existence of God, or otherwise,(and believe me, doubting God's existence is not the easy way out; the thoughts just doesn't go away). I'll suggest my guys here do the same too. Many atheist and agnostics have done so and have had to reconsider their stand.

You are right in your own way but this right here is the single determinant drivng my decision.. religious folks attribute "Perfection" to God in all Absoluteness, yet they reduce him to barely literate human levels with their reasoning..

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 04, 2014
NigellusHosan:
I was an Atheist...but i found out something wasn't right...d emptiness wasn't..so I had to sought the lord like water n i flourished like a tree planted by the rivers of water..

I Pour my love on you
Like oil upon your feet..
Like wine for you to drink..
Like water from my heart

dont miss being an unbeliever with an atheist or deist.

Because you were never an atheist.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
How come no one's brought this question up yet?

How do you respond when asked to pray in a random gathering after a meet?
undecided
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
GodMode:
People need to understand this:

Every child is born with an "empty brain"...

everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

I resent anyone pushing their dogma on me because i dont push my beliefs on anybody else.

Let and let live. Not many people practice that when it comes to religion.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 04, 2014
lolaxavier:

I owe no one any explanation about what i choose to do and i rarely argue on the topic 'Who created this world?' or 'where will you go after death? I am less bothered how it came into existence. I am more concerned about doing my time faithfully and diligently here on earth and when it is time to pack up, then i'll find my square root.

you're on point brother, you sound like an apatheist
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 04, 2014
chulla12:
I'm a theist...I believe that some invisible hand or higher power put us here for a reason. I am not sold on any organized religion or dogma though as they are rooted in human follies...too limited in scope to define who or what this hidden omniscience could be.

My parents are devout Catholics so I keep my beliefs to myself.

Honestly I believe that science will define what this "god" being is before Islam or Christianity would but that is another topic altogether.
good of you
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
MissTeaseMe:

Only a mad man will look into the sea and say the fishes are a mistake,
Even the babalawos can testify that there is only one Jehovah...

All the same. Religion is a BIG fraud. All lies.
so you know?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by MissTeaseMe(f): 5:43pm On Nov 04, 2014
Chinaimporter:

I will find you and leak you secret you damned infidel.
I wonder how an infidel of you status could arise from the loins of such a good man.
Hehehehehehe
See christain man grin
Smh
Infidel ko boko haram ni
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2014
Qoigord:
How come no one's brought this question up yet?

How do you respond when asked to pray in a random gathering after a meet?
undecided
my brother, forgeh dat wan. I've been praying and healing people even as an agnostic atheist. I sabi christianese wella. If I blast tongues you go think say na Pastor Chris himself.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by natureblack(m): 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2014
penquin:
all d atheist in d house convince me dat there is no God
create a thread for that,mention me,and your wish would be granted.

Disclaimer- As an Atheist,I am angry that we live in a society in which the plain truth cannot be spoken without offending a great percentage of the population.

7 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
xcapizt:
O boy ye! See how we pack this place!! Menhhh, we plenty o #NeverAlone
i was suprised too o
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
I am good, you?

I'm okay my very good old friend , you do know who I am
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
Lanceslot:
Only if you can convince me that there is god.
then you are saying there is God
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 04, 2014
natureblack:

Disclaimer- As an Atheist,I am angry that we live in a society in which the plain truth cannot be spoken without offending a great percentage of the population.
wetin u know no need to dey argue with you....
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
voltron:

You are right in your own way but this right here is the single determinant drivng my decision.. religious folks attribute "Perfection" to God in all Absoluteness, yet they reduce him to barely literate human levels with their reasoning..

I gree with you on the fact that those who claim to believe in God live their lives like God doesnt even exist. But in the most important decisions we have to make, we do not let peoples opinion or attitude shape our decisions. We verify the facts for ourselves and then draw conclusion and make decisions. Well i suggest we do the same with regards to our belief in God.

Contratry to what people might say, it does matter what we believe. If there is no God and life came by mindless and blind chance, then life wouldnt have a purpose and therefore we can do anything we choose, without any moral compass what so ever to guide us. There shouldnt be laws of nature or laws on morality. (most of which laws exist for our protection) Logically u can't expect purpose from mindless chance, cos it takes time and planning to actually bring a purpose to mind and carry out a purpose. On the other hand, if God exist and did create everything around us, then he must have a purpose for doing so, and also have an answer for why things are the way they re.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by freecocoa(f): 6:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
neoapocalypse:

I'm okay my very good old friend , you do know who I am
I'm guessing, Apocalypse was the old handle, no?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 04, 2014
natureblack:

see I'm not trying to make u beliv daht there is God or anoda things else,buh me as a person that I was once an atheist like you beliv me u can't tell me there is God then and u ll win my quote then was[b] "we were all born antheist until sm1 started telling us lies"[/b] buh when God himself decided to show me who he was[b] *smiles*..........[/b] See lemme stop there then I know I was a fool belivin daht there is no God(I'm sure as u r reading dhis u hav sm instinct in ur mind)... See my write up there is not to convince you buh u let know that the face of a talking drum dhat face u is not d one dhat face you.... I pray God himself visit you... I.e if he want....
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by freecocoa(f): 6:16pm On Nov 04, 2014
ferdimako:

The pretence and not keeping the word of God are what make religionists esp Nigerian Christians and Muslims not to question atheists or pple who sit on the fence. U can't claim to be any better when u can't absent from sins...can't have those moral bragging rights. It amazes how they configure and gather the guts. I always ask them...is there anything I'm doing wrongly you are not doing? On fb last time...one said it is hard to preach to unrepentant folks...I asked if he is not ashamed of having two pairs of shoes when his neighbor doesn't have a pair. Why do u have a bank account and investments? It's huge!
As in eh.

I told my sister one time, you are here talking to me as if I'm doomed when you are the one going out to meet her boyfriend, when you get there, won't you engage in fornication? Hear her reply, "Atleast God knows I'm trying to stop and we are human so we must sin"

God knows you are trying to stop? when you've been looking forward to this particular 'sin' for weeks? smh abeg go meet your boyfriend collect better shagging before this talk go enter quarrel cos I know you wella, she just look me say "may God save you" and I said he needs to save you first.cheesy

6 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
I'm guessing, Apocalypse was the old handle, no?

You just won 10million , right on the money.
Your buddy Idowuogbo seems to be scarce these days
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by freecocoa(f): 6:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
neoapocalypse:

You just won 10million , right on the money.
Your buddy Idowuogbo seems to be scarce these days
Lol, sending my bank details right away.

Yea, ID's been scarce, NL's boring these days as the kids have taken over her favorite section, she does breeze in and out though.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
Lol, sending my bank details right away.

Yea, ID's been scarce, NL's boring these days as the kids have taken over her favorite section, she does breeze in and out though.

Okay , send my regards to her whenever you gals chat . Have a great day
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
@vfactor if you have scoured the Holy Bible as you did. you will understand the man's Purpose is not a Mystery or some fleeting puzzle. it is simple and let us take cue from God. "LOVE" it still remains a mystery to God when Man is unable to recognize this simple objective.. the WHY in GOD's will is LOVE and we as his creatures ought to evolve to that standard. is Righteousness not Love? that moral compass has been achieved without religion it is the only universal phenomenon that exists outside religion. Religious Dogma Corrupts Open-mindedness, Severs Honest Intentions and creates a sharp divide between Good and Evil where all that is required is LOVE. did JESUS not die for this same purpose.. yet Man continues to this very second to undermine its essence (even on Nairaland). so heck why believe in God when all he does is act human
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Lanceslot(m): 6:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
penquin:
then you are saying there is God
No need going further with you.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by freecocoa(f): 6:35pm On Nov 04, 2014
neoapocalypse:

Okay , send my regards to her whenever you gals chat . Have a great day
Will do, you enjoy the rest of your day.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by dein77(m): 6:36pm On Nov 04, 2014
Na so una plenty reach? I can'tbbelieve this!

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
voltron:
I shove it into peoples faces just as they me. i always enjoy the feeling of shock and disappointment and fear i get from people when i tell them i don't believe in God and add that if he were smarter than the average joe, i might even hazard the thought. I let my beliefs hang-out.. e.g I made a few t-shirts with the inscription F@#uck u GOD. I am an atheist and I wear it on weekends, especially around Shoprite Ikeja. grin grin grin I won't try that with Allah though, they could easily dump their human costumes to reveal the rabid animals they truly are.. so i am careful, you don't want a rabies epidermic in crowded Lagos.. sambisa forest maybe

LMAOOOOOO

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 04, 2014
Do atheists believe in the existence of satan?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 04, 2014
cirmuell:
Never met one offline... I'm indifferent anyway, so there's no poo if I encounter one, offline. Just don't try and shove your "no God" shii in my face.

Don't try and shove your 'god shiii' in atheists faces too. Live and let live.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 04, 2014
0rex:
Do atheists believe in the existence of satan?

Nope.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
MAYOWAAK:
I wouldn’t advice any atheist in this part of the world, and at this period, to be open about it, especially if the atheist’s socio-economic and or political support structure are strongly influenced by religion, it could make getting the simplest tasks, especially those requiring cooperation, into the most complicated of challenges.

I must confess one thing though, I don’t exactly see myself as an atheist in the sense the lay man considers it to be, that is one who professes that there is no God. I’ve never made that claim anywhere before and I’m not making such a claim even now.

For one to say there is no God, I think you’d have to have prove, else do not feel offended if you’re referred to as an idiot when you make such an unverifiable claim. I however see the other side the same way too, if you say or claim there is a God somewhere out there, then you’d just have to prove it, or accept whatever ridicule you receive in response to your claim.

I don’t think the fact that I do not consider the contents of the leading holy books, especially as regards history, as non-factual, makes me an atheist, but then again maybe it does, after all, it’s all in the way you look at it, no?

Again, maybe I am, and maybe I’m not.

The truth is we’re all atheists, agnostics, theists and what have you, towards one belief or the other, no one is exempted.

A muslim is an unbeliever to a Christian, likewise a christian is an unbeliever (Kaffir) to a muslim.

An Ifa practitioner is an unbeliever to both the christian and the muslim.

I think you are totally Agnostic.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
oluafolabi:

Nope.
angry Ok
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
lastchild:
This thread reminds me my days of atheism,never agreed with anyone about things of God

Never knew I had a spiritual problem which I always refuse to accept its reality whenever it occurs,always looking for a physical excuse to hold onto when ever it manifest

Till it got to a stage I could no longer disregard,I had to run for my dear life,I ran to mountain of fire for back up

The truth of this matter be say,I'll never blame any atheist because I used to be one,I only see them now as people who never had any encounter with anything spiritual,although some of them do but refuse to accept it like I used to

LOL. Kindly share your story. I'd love to be amused.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

I Think I'm Losing My Belief / Seat Causes Quarrel At The Experience 2019 / Pastor Tega Ahre Is Missing (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.