Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? (37476 Views)

A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! / Challenging The Skeptics / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by lagcity(m): 6:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ipledge:
You wanna see athiest? Go to oau,faculty of science alone will have up to 10 athiest as lecturer

Sweet! There is nothing more disturbing than a university science professor who is not atheist or agnostic.

4 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
All these children of the devil grin...
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by lagcity(m): 7:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
voltron:
I shove it into peoples faces just as they me. i always enjoy the feeling of shock and disappointment and fear i get from people when i tell them i don't believe in God and add that if he were smarter than the average joe, i might even hazard the thought. I let my beliefs hang-out.. e.g I made a few t-shirts with the inscription F@#uck u GOD. I am an atheist and I wear it on weekends, especially around Shoprite Ikeja. grin grin grin I won't try that with Allah though, they could easily dump their human costumes to reveal the rabid animals they truly are.. so i am careful, you don't want a rabies epidermic in crowded Lagos.. sambisa forest maybe

Guy u get liver oooo. grin I not fit.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
voltron:
@vfactor if you have scoured the Holy Bible as you did. you will understand the man's Purpose is not a Mystery or some fleeting puzzle. it is simple and let us take cue from God. "LOVE" it still remains a mystery to God when Man is unable to recognize this simple objective.. the WHY in GOD's will is LOVE and we as his creatures ought to evolve to that standard. is Righteousness not Love? that moral compass has been achieved without religion it is the only universal phenomenon that exists outside religion. Religious Dogma Corrupts Open-mindedness, Severs Honest Intentions and creates a sharp divide between Good and Evil where all that is required is LOVE. did JESUS not die for this same purpose.. yet Man continues to this very second to undermine its essence (even on Nairaland). so heck why believe in God when all he does is act human

I see where you re coming frm. And frm what you've said, u re disillusioned with religion and not necessarily doubting the existence of God. We are on the same page. Granted religion has been the source of many attrocities and even persecuted enlightened men. But so-called atheist communities/countries have not done any better. Google the history of the USSR under Joseph Stalin and see what atrocities was committed in an atheist environment. I will state again that the fact that people misuse a tool doesnt mean the manufacturer doesnt exist. Similarly that people has represented God doesnt mean he doesnt exist.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by lagcity(m): 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
dein77:
Na so una plenty reach? I can'tbbelieve this!

Oh yes! We are plenty. But we know the wickedness of man, so we will never show our faces grin

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 04, 2014
lagcity:

Sweet! There is nothing more disturbing than a university science professor who is not atheist or agnostic.
And who tell you a science professor must be athiest?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
0rex:
Do atheists believe in the existence of satan?
who created satan?
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
Lol, sending my bank details right away.

Yea, ID's been scarce, NL's boring these days as the kids have taken over her favorite section, she does breeze in and out though.
you're right, nairaland isnt like this before. I missed some peeps, there is one called loretta.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
vfactor:

I see where you re coming frm. And frm what you've said, u re disillusioned with religion and not necessarily doubting the existence of God. We are on the same page. Granted religion has been the source of many attrocities and even persecuted enlightened men. But so-called atheist communities/countries have not done any better. Google the history of the USSR under Joseph Stalin and see what atrocities was committed in an atheist environment. I will state again that the fact that people misuse a tool doesnt mean the manufacturer doesnt exist. Similarly that people has represented God doesnt mean he doesnt exist.

what other ways do you think god can express himself apart from religion, his book?

To me religion created the god notion. And since religion is false using logic and reason, so is God.

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ipledge:
And who tell you a science professor must be athiest?

NASA-93% atheist
royal society england- 97%atheist

google is your friend, just type 'intelligence and religion'.

Dont get me wrong,
You can be a professor and be daft, i'm talking from experience.

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
vfactor:

My style of atheism breaks the chains of religious dogma allowing me the privilege to be of value to my fellow man... To humanity and the the positive progress of everyone and every experience I encounter in this journey of life. Unfortunately God's children are blinded by faith false righteousness delusion hate hypocrisy and Love of self and some members of their faith. Individualism instead of community rides high with most religious folks. Hence the term "Personal Experience" and yet, congregational acceptance. If it works for Me A today and fails for Mr. B tomorrow, under exact circumstances. All NA GOD. But it is okay, I love you all the same just as you are

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Psylas(m): 8:00pm On Nov 04, 2014
Everybody in my community know i'm an atheistic agnostic

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Lasveg(m): 8:15pm On Nov 04, 2014
Those christians calling atheists fools, does ur bible in mattew 5:22 not say u shuldnt call anybody a fool? Hypocrites!! u probably dont have regards for God and d bible. All u care about is to win petulant arguments.

2 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by uzoexcel(m): 8:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
same here bro...same here....though i ll still say in my case i m an agnostic...stilll searching for the truth;if there is any at all
AgentOfAllah:

I'm an academic, so in my academic circles, I freely discuss about my irreligiousity and I'm notorious for shutting religious academics up in my school. To their credit, they're much easier to debate than folks on Nairaland because they are scientifically minded, and are given to reason.

Whenever I visit my parent's home though, I'm a closet atheist, not because my family will harm me, but because my mama is quite the drama queen, so I don't want to ruffle her feathers because no matter what, mummy is mummy, if you know what I mean... cool grin
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:50pm On Nov 04, 2014
basille:
Ha! i rubbed my atheism in the faces of my course mates, hostel mates and friends, even my parents had hints as to my believe.

At first, i was reluctant to argue with people, but then seeing how irrational some people tend to be and how excellent i was with arguments, i started whooping their assés with rational and logical arguments. Heck i once made this religious girl (who was always attacking me) in my hostel sound stupid in front of everyone, she was so damn embarrassed! She was the first amongst many others.

As of now, its a different ball game, it seems people are now the ones afraid to confront me of my believes, even my parents. I guess their afraid to admit that "I'm a lost soul" or that they see a hint of truth in what i believe, Lol.

Though i no longer consider myself an atheist, I'm more like a "guy searching for truth".

@ Bolded, great!

Usual progression: Religious => Atheist => Agnostic => Pantheist => Who knows...

Once you become an atheist, the first thing that happens is that you kinda become angry.

Why the fvck did they sell me this bullshít. Why is everyone so irrational - unlike the smart, superior me? But remember, we humans are all superfluously irrational.

Lol, there's even a book titled Predictably Irrational - makes an interesting read.

If you look closely, you'll see that our irrationality as a specie even borders on idiocy. Take something as you being from Nigeria as an example. In the name of this imaginary entity, you will 'justifiably' discriminate, fight wars and kill people. Well, because they are from a different imaginary entity.

Nationalism is the infantile disease of mankind, said Einstein. He was so right.

Almost every one of our actions is governed by irrationality. Emotions. And emotions take logic to the cleaners all the time, everyday. Logic just doesn't stand a fvcking chance.

When you 'attack' a religious person with your logic, even if you possess the persuasiveness of a serpent, he FEELS affronted. An affront to his God, an affront to his intelligence and an affront to his person.

And under this beautiful atmosphere, there's no way your message could possibly get through. And to make things worse, you are going against thousands of years of momentum...and years and years of conditioning. Your logic is not that strong - though it has it virtues.

Besides, everyone is right, depending on where their understanding is, and where circumstance has placed them.

For example, if you asked a student in Primary 2, "What is 2 - 3?", her answer would be "it cannot go!" Is she wrong?

Good.

"You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself." ---- Galileo

So instead of going all kung fu-evangelical on their áss. Why not plant seeds instead. "What if...?" Or generally express your opinion, when asked, without being condescending, disrespectful or combative.

And most patiently hope that someday, they might, in a moment of quiet contemplation have some bulbs go off. "What if I was born a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist or a Traditionalist". "If God loves us so much, why would he burn some of us for - wait! - ETERNITY!", "That's incongruent with being all LOVE"

A hole here and a hole there, you have yourself a leaky ship. And once there's a leaky ship, the entire complex is going down, down, down.

Its only a matter of time.

And finally, arguments are blunt instruments which bloody more than they cut (paraphrasing Chief Dr Robert Greene). Believe me, you will lose quite a few friends - if you are the argument guy.

"If you argue and rankle and contradict, you may achieve a victory sometimes; but it will be an empty victory because you will never get your opponent's good will." -------- Benjamin Franklin

26 Likes 9 Shares

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:

NASA-93% atheist
royal society england- 97%atheist

google is your friend, just type 'intelligence and religion'.

Dont get me wrong,
You can be a professor and be daft, i'm talking from experience.
My professors are not athiest
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:
who created satan?
According to biblical account, all things were made by God.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by leofab(f): 9:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
lastchild:
This thread reminds me my days of atheism,never agreed with anyone about things of God

Never knew I had a spiritual problem which I always refuse to accept its reality whenever it occurs,always looking for a physical excuse to hold onto when ever it manifest

Till it got to a stage I could no longer disregard,I had to run for my dear life,I ran to mountain of fire for back up

The truth of this matter be say,I'll never blame any atheist because I used to be one,I only see them now as people who never had any encounter with anything spiritual,although some of them do but refuse to accept it like I used to
you get spiritual wife?

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by freecocoa(f): 9:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:
you're right, nairaland isnt like this before. I missed some peeps, there is one called loretta.
Lorreta is still very much around in the family section, under a new moniker though.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by natureblack(m): 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2014
penquin:
see I'm not trying to make u beliv daht there is God or anoda things else,buh me as a person that I was once an atheist like you beliv me u can't tell me there is God then and u ll win my quote then was[b] "we were all born antheist until sm1 started telling us lies"[/b] buh when God himself decided to show me who he was[b] *smiles*..........[/b] See lemme stop there then I know I was a fool belivin daht there is no God(I'm sure as u r reading dhis u hav sm instinct in ur mind)... See my write up there is not to convince you buh u let know that the face of a talking drum dhat face u is not d one dhat face you.... I pray God himself visit you... I.e if he want....
I am pleased you modified your initial comment,thanks for that.

As a baby,I was christened in a Pentecostal church,I was regular to Sunday-school until I was 15 or 16 years when I couldn't put up with it anymore. My parent wanted me to attend church with them then,but that lasted for about a year.

At 18 I realized that I wasn't receiving answers to the questions I asked and many things didn't add-up.You probably all realise that the Pastors knows what makes people upset,laugh,cry,etc and they all have one explanation to questions -theirs ! And of course each Pastors has a different version from the next.

I was aged 21 when I saw the light,so to speak,and relinquished religion altogether.Over the past few years,I have been a "non-practising atheist".I put atheism into the "science fact" column and religion into the "science fiction" column.I know that there are assertions,which neither side can prove or disprove.

#proudlyatheist

3 Likes

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
0rex:
Do atheists believe in the existence of satan?
Even Satanists do not believe in the existence of Satan. We know he exists.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Dolemite(f): 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
Peterken05:
How many people know you as an atheist (offline)? Family? Friends?

Do you hide as an atheist (offline)?

Do you avoid people knowing you as an atheist or avoid discussions that will lead to it?

Do you feel threatened, uncomfortable by people knowing you as an atheist?

I need your answers, thanks.

1. None. sad sad

2. Yes, too painful to put my Christian family members through the thought of their cute little girl going to hell. cry cry (Thank God hell is a fallacy right grin grin )

3. Yep.

4. I don't feel threatened, as a Christian for over 8 years I know it sucks looking at people thinking they are going to hell, these people really really believe in that magical place called heaven. It's like telling a kid there's no Santa (father Christmas) whats the point. Lol

5. You're welcome. kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by uzoexcel(m): 10:31pm On Nov 04, 2014
lol..peopl's reasonin...na wa....in conclusion, u need to save ur sister and not the other way round
freecocoa:
As in eh.

I told my sister one time, you are here talking to me as if I'm doomed when you are the one going out to meet her boyfriend, when you get there, won't you engage in fornication? Hear her reply, "Atleast God knows I'm trying to stop and we are human so we must sin"

God knows you are trying to stop? when you've been looking forward to this particular 'sin' for weeks? smh abeg go meet your boyfriend collect better shagging before this talk go enter quarrel cos I know you wella, she just look me say "may God save you" and I said he needs to save you first.cheesy
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by uzoexcel(m): 10:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
i can relate
mazaje:
Am from a very religious family. . My mum is a religious fanatic that can not be reasoned with what so ever. logic and reason when it comes to issues of religion means nothing to her(fear and irrational indoctrination is what drives her when it comes to religion), she is an end of day enthusiast(she seriously believes we are in the end of days and Jesus will return during her life time, she TRULY believes that 10000%). . .My siblings are also religious the Nigerian way. . . My friends in Nigeria don't give a damn. I move with people in the higher end of the social ladder, most aren't so religious, some of the muslims are more observant of their religious creeds than the christians but over all they don't care much.To them all we need to do is just keep making money, because that is the only real GOD in Nigeria, the rich know that very well. . . So my friends over all are not so religious but religious all the same. . .My girl friend is the only one that knows am completely irreligious in Nigeria and she doesn't care. . .She calls me a pagan (I love her to death). . .Here in Europe people don't care, even the Nigerians here aren't that religious, the very religious ones are also tolerant, if you tell them you are an atheist they just say "You sef don join them abi?" and the discussion, engagement or transaction you are engaged in with them continues, they won't avoid you or demonize you the way they will if you were in Nigeria. The are very tolerant because most of the whites around are not religious. . .They notice that even though the whites are not religious they seem morally superior to them, so that has affected how they reason or see religion as a whole. . .Life out here in general has really changed their mindset. . .I was surprised to see some muslim Nigerians living here saying that gays should be left alone and should not be imprisoned. . .Staying here really has a way of opening people's minds and making them tolerant and makes them to accommodate other people's life style that differs from theirs. . .
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by uzoexcel(m): 10:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin
uzolexis:

I second this comment. Staying in the west really open ur eyes to a lotta things and u start seeing and understanding things differently.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:35pm On Nov 04, 2014
freecocoa:
As in eh.

I told my sister one time, you are here talking to me as if I'm doomed when you are the one going out to meet her boyfriend, when you get there, won't you engage in fornication? Hear her reply, "Atleast God knows I'm trying to stop and we are human so we must sin"

God knows you are trying to stop? when you've been looking forward to this particular 'sin' for weeks? smh abeg go meet your boyfriend collect better shagging before this talk go enter quarrel cos I know you wella, she just look me say "may God save you" and I said he needs to save you first.cheesy

Coconut head. How are you.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by LyfeJennings(m): 12:15am On Nov 05, 2014
voltron:
I shove it into peoples faces just as they me. i always enjoy the feeling of shock and disappointment and fear i get from people when i tell them i don't believe in God and add that if he were smarter than the average joe, i might even hazard the thought. I let my beliefs hang-out.. e.g I made a few t-shirts with the inscription F@#uck u GOD. I am an atheist and I wear it on weekends, especially around Shoprite Ikeja. grin grin grin I won't try that with Allah though, they could easily dump their human costumes to reveal the rabid animals they truly are.. so i am careful, you don't want a rabies epidermic in crowded Lagos.. sambisa forest maybe

I dont support violence, I think I am educated and civilized to an extent but gee, U deserve a death sentence for this post. Its fine to be an atheist but U flaunting it to offend others belieg is wrong. U deserve to be beheaded right in the desert and ur corpse should be left for vultures to feed on
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:17am On Nov 05, 2014
LyfeJennings:

I dont support violence, I think I am educated and civilized to an extent but gee, U deserve a death sentence for this post. Its fine to be an atheist but U flaunting it to offend others belieg is wrong. U deserve to be beheaded right in the desert and ur corpse should be left for vultures to feed on

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:48am On Nov 05, 2014
LyfeJennings:

What would you say about CHOSEN who wear their banners to work offending my sensibilities by saying I am going to burn in Hell. Or Muslims who do the same. Guess with peeps like you self-righteous pr1cks there will be dead bodies enough to overcrowd Hell. You psychotic freak. Love you tho. Repent

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by LyfeJennings(m): 12:50am On Nov 05, 2014
Una get mind sha.
Chai!!! I mean Thunder strike ne dwad the day I say there is no God. There is God oooo. He neither sleeps nor slumber.
The God of earth & Heavens,
The God who create the ENTIRE UNIVERSE AS UNIMAGINABLY BIG AS IT IS.
ALLAH LI MULK SAMAWATI WAL ARD.
LAHI LAH ILA LAH.
ALLAH AKBAR!!!!!!
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:03am On Nov 05, 2014
Yet Allah watches over 200 girls get ra.ped in his name. Allahu Akbar indeed.
Re: To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 05, 2014
0rex:

According to biblical account, all things were made by God.
so how do you expect atheist to believe in these imaginary characters?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Our Heart Cry: Revive Us Oh LORD, Revive For Your Use. / A Fulani Christian Shares His Challenges After Accepting Christ / Taiwo Odukoya's Twin Sister, Kehinde Dies Weeks After His Wife's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.