Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) (21374 Views)

Law School Staff In Accident In Edo State. (See Photos) / Female AAU Student Crushed To Death In Edo State (see Photo) / Planned Massive Extortion By Traffic Enforcement Agencies In The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:31pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:
Oshomolie is proactive isn't there a way to get across to him

It's because of the public outcry that's why he stopped VIO in Benin & there was a time they churned out some folks wearing pink polo shirt(under ministry of transport), they too were stopped

I don't want EDSTMA to be stopped because its a source of job creation but they should be checked.

I really need to know who to pass this to the top, I have posted on the edo state government Facebook page, nothing yet
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by ogoigbe(m): 8:31pm On Nov 06, 2014
Infact this very bad of oshomole, he no this guys are extorting ppl yet Edo state with all d lawyers are nt doing anything abt it.this is insane. Infact,those guy towed my car few a day to my marriage. And I paid #10000,to those stack illustrated Co's oshomole gave them power n d idiot good 4nothing man pocket my money. Till now am still angry abt it. One day I Hope to c d mother Fu*ker,I will run him down wth my car.those guys are oshomole down fall,his bad wrk cry cry kiss
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:
Oshomolie is proactive isn't there a way to get across to him

It's because of the public outcry that's why he stopped VIO in Benin & there was a time they churned out some folks wearing pink polo shirt(under ministry of transport), they too were stopped

I don't want EDSTMA to be stopped because its a source of job creation but they should be checked.

I really need to know who to pass this to the top, I have posted on the edo state government Facebook page, nothing yet
Those stewpid boiz on pink shirt & black trouser?

D day wey dem start work, na my body dem take start. I neva c dem b4 4 my life.
Dem jez stop me 4 new lagos road as I wan enter medical road, I dey traffic na xo one of dem jez come beside my car, I tink say na ppl wey dey do church program sef.
At d end dem collect 10k from my hand 4rom d initial 30k wey dem bill me.

I curse oshomhole die dat day undecided
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by aghaibiam(f): 8:55pm On Nov 06, 2014
I have read with amusement and dismay people's reaction to edstma activities in Benin and what is more painful is the fact that people who have never been to Benin before try to justify their actions.
I live in benin but 'm so scared of taking my car out.i know some one will ask me if i have a licence,yes i do and i drive well but in benin if you have a car whose licence plate does not read edo state and you cant speak the language you are a candidate for extortion.
Personally i have come to hate the state and its peope with every fibre of my being because of their attitude.
I have fallen victim several times for reasons that are not justifiable.one was for using a lane which became one way simply because repairs was ongoing of which there was no sign.just in front of ugbowo park.i was accosted and billed 3 4000.naira,i protested,argued all to no avail.i had to pay to get my car.another was for beating a red light which was not true i moved while the light was on green at akenzua but was accosted at ringroad.i paid 8k to get my car.
I have sworn never to give my vote to oshiomhole because he has succeeded in breeding monsters he can not tame.
I have seriously considered the benin scenario and as soon as my finances are right i intend to get a family lawyer.
This extortion must stop but why 'm writing this epistle.edo citizens especially their political elites dont even know how to use the internet so will never get to read this.

2 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by paulavon: 9:43pm On Nov 06, 2014
deletrue:
why are you so uncultured. Do you know that you are a barbarian?

Why do you bother yourself arguing with such a character.Am sure he is a small boy who has not seen life.He keeps talking about taking them to court.They will be the first to take you to mobile court,at the mobile court in Benin they will not even hear ur case.They will just slam you with 70k fine or the option of 3 months Oko prison.Then you will look so foolish.They and the mobile court work together.don't try to be a hero.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Febby9(m): 10:24pm On Nov 06, 2014
na because duZ pple neva try am with Army,Navy,airforce officer.....Lol ma frnd dad is a colonel so we entered d car.on owaway.duz pple just burst inside and started saying diZ nd dat.that waz hw dey said he shuld drive 2 dier office(d man wore mufti .he waz on leave dat friday)??immediately,d man started called all duz wicked military police.d man quickly told us 2 come down (siena car)..nd lock dem inside?..d man said dat duz boiz wr going to break bottle nd us d broken 1 to barb dier hair..omo see begging...one waz even crying saying he has 3 children .......omo i can't neva 4get dat day.....lmao
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by lyvin: 11:16pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]Points I noted..

1. O.P parked illegally and got his car towed..

2. O.P paid a Bribe and demanded a reciept for the bribe as if it was a constitutional right.. grin

3. O.P willing participated in the crime of Bribery.

O.P's complaints addressed..

1. O.P thinks the fact that they towed his car and left the other 'police' tagged vehicle equals 'selective Justice'.. What he does not realise is that No illegality was perpertuated.. The officials resevre the right to tow any veihicle at their discretion according to available logistics. Meaning; They had only one towing Van, so they towed only 1 vehicle which just happens to belong to the OP.

2. The Deflated tyres are a part of the standard operations procedure.

3. If you were not shown the fine chart, why then did you pay?! You reserve the right to contest every fine in Court, but O.P rather paid a bribe.

FINALLY:: OP is part of the rot in our society.. You commited an offence, got your car impounded, was told the official fine that he would have paid to a bank and helped the internal revenue of the state and yet opted to pay a bribe.. Then turns around to call on Oshomole to play the victim.. angry

Shey if I slap you now people go say EDSTMA officials are heartless. angry[/b]

U analysis is warped and not in tandem with the reality on ground. Remember You can't be a principled man in a lawless society.
1. Why did d spot not mark No Parking as reported
2. Y did d fine sheet no displayed
3. How r u sure d 25k receipt won't be fake
3. Etc
Op was wise here by cutting his loses

On Benin by-pass there are 'car radio officials if they catch u hmmm. No be only court u go go

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Platformed(m): 11:19pm On Nov 06, 2014
It is RIGHT to disobey unjust and Inhuman Treatmnets

As a Nigerian young person who is not a son or daughter of any of the insane cankerworms or looters, Please be rootless in your pursuit of a better life because we are condemned to be successful or how do we compete with the grand children of a man who stole 20BILLION DOLLAR IN the early 90s or a man on the altar who is richer than the church and the ministry.

Our fore fathers were slaves so we could be BRAVE… but we are failing them. We are getting used to the modern day slavery in which few people enslave us in our fatherland. Stealing, stealing and stealing again…

These Guys went to school for free in U.I, London, Germany and in the states to mention a few FOR FREE, the rest of them joined military because they suck at school… yet they are making us pay for PTA, UTME, POST UTME, ACCEPTANCE, DAMAGES, TUTION. (How on earth do you pay thousands to collect acceptance letters.. or are you guys not seeing what I am seeing)

For GOD'S sake we are too coward and nonchalant and the time to act is now…

It is NOT normal for companies to put 24 YEARS AGE barrier on graduate employment.

It is NOT normal for Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) to be for children of the strongest (of course we see the result)

It is NOT normal to buy the chair, table, cutlass, hoe, broom and the tissue paper you will use in high school.

It is NOT normal for quality education not to be accessible to the CITIZENS

It is NOT normal to be using you money for thesis and research EVEN Ph.D.

It is NOT normal for churches to build expensive schools with church contributions and the members cannot afford the school fees (or the money came from heaven)

It is NOT normal for people to STEAL MONEY and go away with IT (We are not so dumb? They give the press some transport money, and the story dies…)

It is NOT normal for people to die and we don't even know their name… (Enikan lomo)

It is NOT normal for 1 doctor to be attending to 1000 patients…

It Is NOT normal for these same guys to come begging for election, they should be sent back to their villages as farmers, not as class teachers, we won’t want them to corrupt the students.

It is NOT normal to be having pumping machine in your house… we have rivers and water resources than most developed nations (There should be clean water ways in which you link when you build a house).It is NOT normal to be constructing your own soak-away either

It is NOT NORMAL to live with no certainty of tomorrow....

It is not Normal for engineers and biochemists to be working in banks

Friends...It is ONLY in Nigeria that the people in power trample on masses and intimidate them with POLICE... If it IS NORMAL with you lemme know..

In summary, we need to stat living as no one cares.. of course no one does.. do not take law into your hands, but be rootless in your pursuit, find something doing, call friends, contribute money together, form small groups, start things.. learn computer programming, don't listen to them asking engineering graduate to learn soap making...,only join the horrible skill developments if any of their children is their... A government that took money from the youth to get access to the examination to get employed to serve the nation as Immigration workers before killing some of them do not deserve your respect.. if you will learn soap, design a soap mixer, if you will learn shoe making , produce a line machine....if you are casual workers, in any of those foreign companies that make you work in hazardous condition, come together , call Channels TV, call sahara reporters and Premium times.. don't call those who will report you negatively, protest without vandalism, and take hold on any authorities...

IT IS RIGHT TO DISOBEY UNJUST RULES and to Question Unjust leaders

Naija

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 3:22am On Nov 07, 2014
aghaibiam:
I have read with amusement and dismay people's reaction to edstma activities in Benin and what is more painful is the fact that people who have never been to Benin before try to justify their actions.
I live in benin but 'm so scared of taking my car out.i know some one will ask me if i have a licence,yes i do and i drive well but in benin if you have a car whose licence plate does not read edo state and you cant speak the language you are a candidate for extortion.
Personally i have come to hate the state and its peope with every fibre of my being because of their attitude.
I have fallen victim several times for reasons that are not justifiable.one was for using a lane which became one way simply because repairs was ongoing of which there was no sign.just in front of ugbowo park.i was accosted and billed 3 4000.naira,i protested,argued all to no avail.i had to pay to get my car.another was for beating a red light which was not true i moved while the light was on green at akenzua but was accosted at ringroad.i paid 8k to get my car.
I have sworn never to give my vote to oshiomhole because he has succeeded in breeding monsters he can not tame.
I have seriously considered the benin scenario and as soon as my finances are right i intend to get a family lawyer.
This extortion must stop but why 'm writing this epistle.edo citizens especially their political elites dont even know how to use the internet so will never get to read this.

Now this is someone who understands what's going on. pls ma, when you get that lawyer let me know, I'm equally looking for one in Benin (a very good one, whose name will probably bring fear/caution to these folks)

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by tonididdy(m): 4:55am On Nov 07, 2014
colossus2:

But not when I am right and you try to castigate me.
you parked in a no parking zone mister, so how are you right.

I want to take it you are new in Benin. just be careful next time, sorry for the expenses
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 5:50am On Nov 07, 2014
tonididdy:

I want to take it you are new in Benin. just be careful next time, sorry for the expenses
I don't think I talked about "parking" in any of my posts.
I don't live in Benin shouldn't translate to being new in Benin.

The fact is, you don't need to violate any rule now before those guys try to stop you.

Another fact is, once your plate number is not Edo state, you are likely to get stopped.

How do you justify this present trend where some wear muftis, get a personal car, stay before a traffic light and try to commit you to violate the rule?

In a scenario whereby you are driving by that roundabout at ring-road with serious traffic, what do you think EDSTMA should help out with? Last I checked, their acronym had TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT AGENCY.
Now when traffic eases up a bit and you move forward, these same persons who were to manage traffic just enter your car and penalise you stating "diversion of lane" and start negotiating with you.

I have not paid bribe to them.
Point is not everyone driving is stubborn.
Point is time is precious and what those peeps do surely destabilizes one.

Now how many citizens are able to cough out 25k?
Don't you think such a fine is crazily on a high side?
Now your car is towed for instance, do you think it's that easy for a citizen to make a case in the court of law whereby those at the helm of affairs are corrupt?

I await your response sir, kindly cite examples on the way forward also.

Regards!!!
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by eroticboy: 8:03am On Nov 07, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]Points I noted..

1. O.P parked illegally and got his car towed..

2. O.P paid a Bribe and demanded a reciept for the bribe as if it was a constitutional right.. grin

3. O.P willing participated in the crime of Bribery.

O.P's complaints addressed..

1. O.P thinks the fact that they towed his car and left the other 'police' tagged vehicle equals 'selective Justice'.. What he does not realise is that No illegality was perpertuated.. The officials resevre the right to tow any veihicle at their discretion according to available logistics. Meaning; They had only one towing Van, so they towed only 1 vehicle which just happens to belong to the OP.

2. The Deflated tyres are a part of the standard operations procedure.

3. If you were not shown the fine chart, why then did you pay?! You reserve the right to contest every fine in Court, but O.P rather paid a bribe.

FINALLY:: OP is part of the rot in our society.. You commited an offence, got your car impounded, was told the official fine that he would have paid to a bank and helped the internal revenue of the state and yet opted to pay a bribe.. Then turns around to call on Oshomole to play the victim.. angry

Shey if I slap you now people go say EDSTMA officials are heartless. angry[/b]

U ARE OBVIOUSLY ONE OF THE THE REASONS NIGERIA ISNT GETTING BETTER.......
AM SURE U ARE A EDSTMA OFFICIAL

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:33am On Nov 07, 2014
I travel a lot.

For a businessman time is money, which is why despite the fact that I might have a right. It is the course of wisdom to decide when it makes sense to fight for a right and when to let it go. A classical example is my being in the proper lane and some maniac decides to do an overtake without considering upcoming traffic, in a few seconds, he is face to face with me, insisting on my right of way at that material time my destroy my car (less important) and my life ( very very important). As a matter of fact, I got a few seconds to either stick to my right and become a part of the past instead of the present, make my wife a widow, and my children orphans.

The point is everything in life is a trade-off, and one needs to count the cost.

This is relevant because what is the point of stopping everything to go to court and lose a major client? Or a major contract?

I do not support bribes but I wonder if it is right to call it bribe or extortion.

I think extortion is more of the right word here.

I have suffered the same indignity in Lagos and in Enugu while I have not suffered it in Edo, I nearly did when i lost an engine there. What saved me was the locals warned me, so I hired a policeman to watch my vehicle and paid him while I make arrangements to move it from the road.

OP, thanks for the thread because by sharing your story, you have saved others and created enlightenment.

I perfectly agree with some of the sentiments of the Evilseed about pursuing the matter the legal way, but what I do not agree with is the fact that sometimes, the tradeoffs required to pursue a matter legally cannot be afforded, which is why someone may decide to waive away a right. I may not also like his method of delivery, although I know he has passed across a few valid points and defended why he holds his position properly/soundly.

I too believe in fighting for my rights, but when dealing with uniformed persons one has to decide on an appropriate course of action because some of them appear not to be able to reason intelligently, may even be high on drug or alcohol, and soaked in frustration may use their guns as a means of venting out their frustration on others.

I have on more than one occasion waived a right just to stay alive. I think that in the final analysis, that all things considered, I did the right thing in the circumstance, for another, he might prefer to die and let his family fight his case, but that is his cup of tea.

And rather than ask for directions, print Google Map directions or use Garmin, since humans are turning into animals, and no one wants to be his brothers keeper

2 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 8:41am On Nov 07, 2014
eroticboy:

U ARE OBVIOUSLY ONE OF THE THE REASONS NIGERIA ISNT GETTING BETTER.......
AM SURE U ARE A EDSTMA OFFICIAL

Your comment too vague to be deserving of a reasonable answer so I would say to you go fhuck a puppy and die you flaming fhaggot..

I am speaking up against bribery and you are worried about me being an EDSTMA official..

Your stupidity preceeds you.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 07, 2014
tonididdy:

No parking zone without adequate signs, so what the motorist ought to do is go round asking people if he/she can park there

You are one of the reasons why the country is still the way it is.

How dare you insult that lady? Why post a picture of her car? That's violation of her privacy!!

You dug into her post & brought a car she offered for sale in dec 2013? She never stated it that it was her's, there is a possibility that she has sold it, but you brought it up here insulting her? Who is the ozwor now?

You ended it with ozwor(bini for fool), why insult her?

I'm sure you're one of those bini's that haven't left the state so you think the world revolves round Benin city!!!
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 9:08am On Nov 07, 2014
lyvin:

U analysis is warped and not in tandem with the reality on ground. Remember You can't be a principled man in a lawless society.
1. Why did d spot not mark No Parking as reported
2. Y did d fine sheet no displayed
3. How r u sure d 25k receipt won't be fake
3. Etc
Op was wise here by cutting his loses

On Benin by-pass there are 'car radio officials if they catch u hmmm. No be only court u go go

[b]Radio License?! grin grin grin grin

Hahahahahahaaa... grin

Before I answer you on how easy it is to deal with Radio license people, let me tell you the problem I see here on this thread;

A lot of Nigerians are Lazy! Lazy in the pursuit of their rights. They expect a messiah to drop from Heaven and come help fight for their rights when the power lies with them. Look at this OP; He parked in an alleged 'NO PARKING ZONE' (though there was no warning sign), right behind a vehicle with Police tags (which is inconsequential as the Poice vehicle may have been on official business at the time), he got towed (which is as it should be), he got to the office and was given a fine of 25,000 Naira.. He felt it was unjust for him to have been towed, he didnt challenge the ticket in court (as is his right), he didnt demand to see the Fines & Penalty list (as is his right), he didnt even try to take the case up the heirachy of the taskforce (as he could have).. He simply settled for a bargain (Bribe) that gets him out of there fast and then he comes here to scream blue murder.. grin Well.. They just got away with his case, they would be back on the road after another victim tomorrow because he fail to do the right thing. #SIMPLE...

RADIO STICKER

Radio Licence is a Legal (where applicable) levy that is imposed by the Local Government. HOWEVER:: IT is illegal for ANYBODY (Including the Police, Army or the Fhucking President) to mount a road block for the purpose of collecting any Tax, levy or whathaveyou..

I will start by showing you what part of the Law deal with Radio Licence;[/b]

Part 3 of Decree 21 of 1998... Sub-section 15 - Levies and Taxes that can be imposed by the Local Government :: Vehicle radio licence fees (to be imposed by the Local Government of the State in which the car is registered).

Here is your right with regard to dealing with those Radio Sticker touts as contained in article 3 of Decree 21 of 1998;

3. A person who –

(a) collects or levies any tax or levy; or

(b) mounts a road block or causes a road block to be mounted for the purpose of collecting any tax or levy, in contravention of section 2 of this Decree, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N50,000 or imprisonment for 3 years or to both such fine and imprisonment.

So now you know this.... When next they stop you for Radio Sticker, I wouldnt expect you to try reasoning with thugs and touts.. You should have more class than that.. Take control of the situation without their knowledge and bid your time. You need to have it at the back of your mind where you want to take this to.. Me!! I am looking to DESTROY them so I am always calm in the middle of a crisis. But when I am done, I always come out on top..

Now you know.. Go and read up on your rights.. We are more powerful than we know.

I am not a 'COMMON NIGERIAN'.. I am an Educated Nigerian with a good amount of knowledge of his rights under the law.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Taxes%20and%20Levies%20(Approved%20list%20for%20collection)%20Decree%20No%2021%20of%201998.htm
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by tweegep(m): 9:17am On Nov 07, 2014
Reading this post it felt as if I wrote the piece. I have experienced this pain you went through and I know how long it took me to forget about it. There is really a grand design to extort and intimidate innocent citizens they swore to protect. May God forgive them all as for me I can't ever.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 07, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]So now you know this.... When next they stop you for Radio Sticker, I wouldnt expect you to try reasoning with thugs and touts.. You should have more class than that.. Take control of the situation without their knowledge and bid your time. You need to have it at the back of your mind where you want to take this to.. Me!! I am looking to DESTROY them so I am always calm in the middle of a crisis. But when I am done, I always come out on top

I asked earlier on what you'll do if they smash ur camera, your answer was "them nor dey fear"

Lets assume "them nor fear" what will you do

As for the radio license tout, you have simply told us what the law says & what one will do under normal conditions. Nigeria is not normal

How do you take control of the situation? Be explicit, these are practical scenarios

here you are on the express, with touts wielding all manner of weapons(most prominent ones are huge sticks with nails protruding out)

With no army or police check point nereby, what will you do?

With their scruffy face you don't even know whether they are armed robbers or touts! What will you do

Is that the time to start quoting law or trying to make calls, knowing fully well that that phone can be seized. What will you do?

There is a topic on front page of how soldier attacked BRT buses, no one could take good photographs, the minister of defense was quoted to have said that "miscreants tried to wreak havoc & the military swooped in to control the situation"

How then do you prove you were assaulted by a soldier, with no photos

They can claim that it was the miscreant that assaulted you, so of you find yourself in that situation, what will you do?

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by stildude(m): 10:19am On Nov 07, 2014
aghaibiam:

I understand how you feel lady, but you must understand that many indigenes have fallen victims in the city likewise. I can conveniently say that every family has encountered this menace and extortion, sometimes brutality at the hands of the EDSTMA. No one is safe. No need to take it out on the Edo people. Sometimes I do think the people have been short changed, having fought for this present administration to be harassed, brutalized by the machineries of this govt is shameful for the govt and regrettable for the people. As for evil seed, I quite agree with most of your submissions and have learned a thing or two from you, but trust me when I say a lot of the people that have come up here to speak against these devils are people who want to protect their rights, but like many have said, mostly the odds are against you. It's like fighting for your right with a battalion of soldiers trampling on it. you will most likely lose. That's why some resort to jungle justice to get revenge or justice if you will. I want to say again that they do settle their superiors especially the transport commissioner.

It is likely only through video evidence that you can be sure to make a good case against them. For instance, if you are held for a traffic light violation for which you are not guilty, who do you think the court will believe? The govt agency or you. you may have a better case if you can produce a witness but it will be a great coincidence for you to have an eye witness you know personally and that can verify your claim and help your case should you go to court. But still, you have to consider the cost of litigations, the number of days your car may be down there, the hassles of going to court and the court officials trying to frustrate you, putting aside other interests like business and family at the time, etc.

The trade off will be setting up an independent body or panel made up of civil society, legal practitioners or human rights group and judges who can hear these complaints and overturn decisions of the EDSTMA if need be. Even empowered to grant cost against the agency under certain circumstances. Otherwise, they should be scrapped.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by tonididdy(m): 10:31am On Nov 07, 2014
solomonslones:

No parking zone without adequate signs, so what the motorist ought to do is go round asking people if he/she can park there

You are one of the reasons why the country is still the way it is.

How dare you insult that lady? Why post a picture of her car? That's violation of her privacy!!

You dug into her post & brought a car she offered for sale in dec 2013? She never stated it that it was her's, there is a possibility that she has sold it, but you brought it up here insulting her? Who is the ozwor now?

You ended it with ozwor(bini for fool), why insult her?

I'm sure you're one of those bini's that haven't left the state so you think the world revolves round Benin city!!!
DUDE shut the phuck up .
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 10:34am On Nov 07, 2014
solomonslones:

I asked earlier on what you'll do if they smash ur camera, your answer was "them nor dey fear"

Lets assume "them nor fear" what will you do

As for the radio license tout, you have simply told us what the law says & what one will do under normal conditions. Nigeria is not normal

How do you take control of the situation? Be explicit, these are practical scenarios

here you are on the express, with touts wielding all manner of weapons(most prominent ones are huge sticks with nails protruding out)

With no army or police check point nereby, what will you do?

With their scruffy face you don't even know whether they are armed robbers or touts! What will you do

Is that the time to start quoting law or trying to make calls, knowing fully well that that phone can be seized. What will you do?

There is a topic on front page of how soldier attacked BRT buses, no one could take good photographs, the minister of defense was quoted to have said that "miscreants tried to wreak havoc & the military swooped in to control the situation"

How then do you prove you were assaulted by a soldier, with no photos

They can claim that it was the miscreant that assaulted you, so of you find yourself in that situation, what will you do?

[b]Solomon..

You are looking for every reason to justify paying a Bribe.. GOODLUCK TO YOU!!

I have dealt with the Nigerian Police (that broke my Windscreen), dealth with Rivers States version of EDSTAM called TIMARIV who accused me of jumping 'Zebra Crossing'.. grin. Dealth with Anambras state version of the same group (infact these ones were actually Armed Robbers), I have dealt with 2 thugs that jumped into my Car brandishing I.D Cards with Local Government inscriptions asking for Radio Licence as well.. And in all, I never paid a single cent in bribes and I came out on top..

Taking control of a situation is an Art not a Science.. I cant teach it to you, its something you either have or you dont. Many of you think taking control is shouting and screaming.. If you read my post for the purpose of learning, rather than arguing, you would have seen where I said 'I DONT EXPECT YOU TO START REASONING WITH THUGS AND TOUTS'.. We are all Animals and in our Iron jungle everyone needs to know their strenghts and weaknesses.. I cant be caught dead fighting with thugs.. So I take control of the situation by taking control of the situation.. Hells, I would even go with you to your office. grin

Here is an example that happened in the middle of Onitsha - Owerri express road around 8:30am..

I was returning from a trip to Benin and had to catch an Event on that Sunday morning in Port Harcourt around 10.. So I left Benin by 5:30am. Entering that stretch of road, I come across a Roadblock by the Police and they were stopping all manner of vehicles (both latest and old).. Lo I got stopped as expected (as I had 3 other guys plus me inside my car).. We got searched and at some point, the officer found a tablet of Viagra inside one of my passengers bag. But because he had wrapped it in such a suspicious looking manner, the officers curiousity peaked and he held it like he had found Hard drugs. grin Then he comes to our papers and he starts riffling through my documentation and settled for 'Import Papers and Road worthiness'.. grin

My first question to him was straight and concise: I asked him if he thought my Licence was fake or forged and he said No. Next question was if he was working for the Nigerian Customs Service and he said NO.. Next question was under what authority is he demanding for my Import papers when that is not in his jurisdiction and he realises my perticulars are not fake. He stops and has started getting angry now. grin He demands for my Car keys which I immediately handed over to him without hesitation. He then goes after my Road Worthiness and again I ask him: Look at my particulars again and check the year of manufacture of my car and tell me if this Car is supposed to have road worthiness. Then I proceed to ask him what type of Checkpoint this was if it was a 'traffic Checkpoint' or a 'Stop and search' checkpoint to which he responds What does it matter.. grin I said anyways, I am ready to follow this matter to the last as I am fully aware that I am in the right.. All this I said without SHOUTING or SCREAMING.. Infact I was enjoying myself. I was fully prepared to follow through.. My friends had started begging and soliciting a bribe and that was when I walked into their midst and said firmly Nobody should pay a single cent in bribe money.

Next move:: The officer starts stopping all the most recent vehicles on the road and asking for 'Road Worthiness' just to prove to me that I needed to have it.. I still kept laffing. He finally finds a 2013 Mercedes GL with Road worthiness and brings it to show me.. Basically, in his mind, I was in trouble (which I wasnt as I was sure I didnt need to have road worthiness for my 2 year old car).. But no point arguing that here, this dumb guy isnt the right person to be speaking to about such things.

Next question I asked him was: I thought the I.G had banned Checkpoints... Thats when the Nigga loses his mind fully. I turned to make a call and he ceases my Phone. I still was calm. Then comes the waiting game.. Guess what: His colleagues actually adviced him to let me go as it was obvious that I was not afraid or intimidated. I spent over 45 Mins on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere..

All through, I stood my grounds without putting it in his face, was never intimidated, never shouted, never huffed and puffed, was in control of the situation (as far as I was concerned) and was ready to follow it through.. Infact, at some point, I actually told him that it was fine and that he should take his time, we will all go to the station, process the offence, they will impound the vehicle and all and that on Monday, I will be back to continue the process as I was sure I had no case to answer. And I was ready.

Its about your composure.. And that composure comes from knowing your right and how to apply them. It would be foolish for you to be on the road telling a corporal whose highest qualification is school cert what the law is.. grin NAAAAAA!!! I knew this as far back as when I was 15yrs of age. Same way it would be outstandingly foolish for you to be explaining Radio Licence laws to Agberos.. AGREE WITH THEM.. Until you find their Oga.. The boss is who you want..

Every situation you find yourself in would teach you how to get out of it and then pursue the matter properly. The one thing I wil tell you is that it would take your time.. THATS ALL.. But they know this and know that you wouldnt want to waste your time with themm so you are most likely to pay a bribe and get out fast thats why these people are still doing what they do till tomorrow.

When Next you find yourself in Trouble with the likes of those radio touts, here is my first advice for you: Pick up your phone and call 911 and report the matter as a robbery, tell them your exact location and try to stall and not move till the Police shows up.. And trust me, they will show up. #FACT![/b]
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]Solomon..

You are looking for every reason to justify paying a Bribe.. GOODLUCK TO YOU!!

I have dealt with the Nigerian Police (that broke my Windscreen), dealth with Rivers States version of EDSTAM called TIMARIV who accused me of jumping 'Zebra Crossing'.. grin. Dealth with Anambras state version of the same group (infact these ones were actually Armed Robbers), I have dealt with 2 thugs that jumped into my Car brandishing I.D Cards with Local Government inscriptions asking for Radio Licence as well.. And in all, I never paid a single cent in bribes and I came out on top..

Taking control of a situation is an Art not a Science.. I cant teach it to you, its something you either have or you dont. Many of you think taking control is shouting and screaming.. If you read my post for the purpose of learning, rather than arguing, you would have seen where I said 'I DONT EXPECT YOU TO START REASONING WITH THUGS AND TOUTS'.. We are all Animals and in our Iron jungle everyone needs to know their strenghts and weaknesses.. I cant be caught dead fighting with thugs.. So I take control of the situation by taking control of the situation.. Hells, I would even go with you to your office. grin

Here is an example that happened in the middle of Onitsha - Owerri express road around 8:30am..

I was returning from a trip to Benin and had to catch an Event on that Sunday morning in Port Harcourt around 10.. So I left Benin by 5:30am. Entering that stretch of road, I come across a Roadblock by the Police and they were stopping all manner of vehicles (both latest and old).. Lo I got stopped as expected (as I had 3 other guys plus me inside my car).. We got searched and at some point, the officer found a tablet of Viagra inside one of my passengers bag. But because he had wrapped it in such a suspicious looking manner, the officers curiousity peaked and he held it like he had found Hard drugs. grin Then he comes to our papers and he starts riffling through my documentation and settled for 'Import Papers and Road worthiness'.. grin

My first question to him was straight and concise: I asked him if he thought my Licence was fake or forged and he said No. Next question was if he was working for the Nigerian Customs Service and he said NO.. Next question was under what authority is he demanding for my Import papers when that is not in his jurisdiction and he realises my perticulars are not fake. He stops and has started getting angry now. grin He demands for my Car keys which I immediately handed over to him without hesitation. He then goes after my Road Worthiness and again I ask him: Look at my particulars again and check the year of manufacture of my car and tell me if this Car is supposed to have road worthiness. Then I proceed to ask him what type of Checkpoint this was if it was a 'traffic Checkpoint' or a 'Stop and search' checkpoint to which he responds What does it matter.. grin I said anyways, I am ready to follow this matter to the last as I am fully aware that I am in the right.. All this I said without SHOUTING or SCREAMING.. Infact I was enjoying myself. I was fully prepared to follow through.. My friends had started begging and soliciting a bribe and that was when I walked into their midst and said firmly Nobody should pay a single cent in bribe money.

Next move:: The officer starts stopping all the most recent vehicles on the road and asking for 'Road Worthiness' just to prove to me that I needed to have it.. I still kept laffing. He finally finds a 2013 Mercedes GL with Road worthiness and brings it to show me.. Basically, in his mind, I was in trouble (which I wasnt as I was sure I didnt need to have road worthiness for my 2 year old car).. But no point arguing that here, this dumb guy isnt the right person to be speaking to about such things.

Next question I asked him was: I thought the I.G had banned Checkpoints... Thats when the Nigga loses his mind fully. I turned to make a call and he ceases my Phone. I still was calm. Then comes the waiting game.. Guess what: His colleagues actually adviced him to let me go as it was obvious that I was not afraid or intimidated. I spent over 45 Mins on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere..

All through, I stood my grounds without putting it in his face, was never intimidated, never shouted, never huffed and puffed, was in control of the situation (as far as I was concerned) and was ready to follow it through.. Infact, at some point, I actually told him that it was fine and that he should take his time, we will all go to the station, process the offence, they will impound the vehicle and all and that on Monday, I will be back to continue the process as I was sure I had no case to answer. And I was ready.

Its about your composure.. And that composure comes from knowing your right and how to apply them. It would be foolish for you to be on the road telling a corporal whose highest qualification is school cert what the law is.. grin NAAAAAA!!! I knew this as far back as when I was 15yrs of age. Same way it would be outstandingly foolish for you to be explaining Radio Licence laws to Agberos.. AGREE WITH THEM.. Until you find their Oga.. The boss is who you want..

Every situation you find yourself in would teach you how to get out of it and then pursue the matter properly. The one thing I wil tell you is that it would take your time.. THATS ALL.. But they know this and know that you wouldnt want to waste your time with themm so you are most likely to pay a bribe and get out fast thats why these people are still doing what they do till tomorrow.

When Next you find yourself in Trouble with the likes of those radio touts, here is my first advice for you: Pick up your phone and call 911 and report the matter as a robbery, tell them your exact location and try to stall and not move till the Police shows up.. And trust me, they will show up. #FACT![/b]

Thanks for this but I'm sure you are aware of folks who did what you did & they paid with their lives!!

Hope you have heard of drunk policemen on duty?

You kinda of spoilt the whole thing with the 911 call!! 911 in Nigeria

Well I learnt some things

Thanks
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
tonididdy:
DUDE shut the phuck up .

IMAZWORKOR!!!

Ewe nor ma hen negbee!!!
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 2:47pm On Nov 07, 2014
solomonslones:

Thanks for this but I'm sure you are aware of folks who did what you did & they paid with their lives!!

Hope you have heard of drunk policemen on duty?

You kinda of spoilt the whole thing with the 911 call!! 911 in Nigeria

Well I learnt some things

Thanks

[b]911 Works.. KNOW THAT NOW..

I have used them twice (once for a Fire and the other for the Police) and both times they responded within 30 Minutes..

Yes! Many people have paid the price with their lives.. But death is something I cant control and neither can you. Some people have also been killed paying bribes because the people they were bribing believed that they had more money too.. That is why I advised you not to do what A LOT of Nigerians do which is come out and start Shouting, fighting and screaming at them.. NEVER ANTAGONISE THEM.. Never!! If its the Police, they have Gins.. If its these touts, they may have knives so never Antagonise them..

And yes! I have also been involved with a drunk Police Man at a checkpoint by 11 pm at Night.. I was probably 14 at the time and it was my Mum (a Lawyer) that was raising her voice at the Drunk officer who had asked us for 'TOWING PERMIT' for our vehicle which a neighbour was rope-towing back to our house. The Drunk Officer drew his weapon and discharged it bare 1 meter above my mothers head at point blank range.. grin #I swear this on my Childrens life.. I have never been that scared before in my life.. After he did, the rest of his officers at the Checkpoint came and disarmed him, put him inside their patrol van and zoomed off.. #Checkpoint Closed.. This was way before Civilian rule sef. grin

So Mr. Solomon, No matter the scenario you raise, you wouldnt be the first. The Lady that was beaten up in broad daylight and stripped naaked in Lagos by a Nigerian Navy convoy because she wouldnt clear from the road quickly for their convoy to pass is not the first to suffer such.. But guess what?! She didnt go online to whine at nobody, she went to court to seek Justice and because she did, several officers were court marshalled including the Navy Chief who was being driven at the time... PLUS she got a huge settlement..

SO again I say it to you.. There is never a good reason to give a Bribe.. NEVER!![/b]
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]911 Works.. KNOW THAT NOW..

I have used them twice (once for a Fire and the other for the Police) and both times they responded within 30 Minutes..

Yes! Many people have paid the price with their lives.. But death is something I cant control and neither can you. Some people have also been killed paying bribes because the people they were bribing believed that they had more money too.. That is why I advised you not to do what A LOT of Nigerians do which is come out and start Shouting, fighting and screaming at them.. NEVER ANTAGONISE THEM.. Never!! If its the Police, they have Gins.. If its these touts, they may have knives so never Antagonise them..

And yes! I have also been involved with a drunk Police Man at a checkpoint by 11 pm at Night.. I was probably 14 at the time and it was my Mum (a Lawyer) that was raising her voice at the Drunk officer who had asked us for 'TOWING PERMIT' for our vehicle which a neighbour was rope-towing back to our house. The Drunk Officer drew his weapon and discharged it bare 1 meter above my mothers head at point blank range.. grin #I swear this on my Childrens life.. I have never been that scared before in my life.. After he did, the rest of his officers at the Checkpoint came and disarmed him, put him inside their patrol van and zoomed off.. #Checkpoint Closed.. This was way before Civilian rule sef. grin

So Mr. Solomon, No matter the scenario you raise, you wouldnt be the first. The Lady that was beaten up in broad daylight and stripped naaked in Lagos by a Nigerian Navy convoy because she wouldnt clear from the road quickly for their convoy to pass is not the first to suffer such.. But guess what?! She didnt go online to whine at nobody, she went to court to seek Justice and because she did, several officers were court marshalled including the Navy Chief who was being driven at the time... PLUS she got a huge settlement..

SO again I say it to you.. There is never a good reason to give a Bribe.. NEVER!![/b]

Thank God you mum came out alive!!

do you mean 911 or Nigeria has its own emergency no?

you haven't taken me up on my good lawyer request
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 3:15pm On Nov 07, 2014
solomonslones:

Thank God you mum came out alive!!

do you mean 911 or Nigeria has its own emergency no?

you haven't taken me up on my good lawyer request

I dont live in Benin.. But Good lawyers are around. Go into your States local High Court and make enquires.

Whats sad is that you seem pretty ignorant about your rights that it would be difficult for yo to tell when a lawyer is blowing hot air and when a lawyer is making sense. But to get a lawyer, you need to go to court and find a litigation lawyer.

Take up your phone wherever you are now and dail 911 and see what happens.. Its toll free. I am waiting to hear your response.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
EvilSeeed:

I dont live in Benin.. But Good lawyers are around. Go into your States local High Court and make enquires.

Whats sad is that you seem pretty ignorant about your rights that it would be difficult for yo to tell when a lawyer is blowing hot air and when a lawyer is making sense. But to get a lawyer, you need to go to court and find a litigation lawyer.

Take up your phone wherever you are now and dail 911 and see what happens.. Its toll free. I am waiting to hear your response.

It's easy for you to talk like this because you grew up around lawyers, I'll do as you have said

where are u based?

As for 911, e nor dey connect... Maybe it's due to network issues, I'll keep trying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo / Avoid These 5 Things That Can Damage Your Car – Innoson Motors / Driver Charged Over Driving Car With a Set of Pliers!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.