Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? (59868 Views)

My Cousin Is Tempting Me , What Do I Do ? / My Cousin Is Crazy / Please, What Are The Signs That Your Cousin(female) Is In Love With You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 2:18am On Nov 14, 2014
likeseriously:

Say what you know MR. Man, the Marrriage Act of Nigeria forbids any marriage based consanguinity(blood relationship) it goes on to list people in this group which includes cousins.
likeseriously
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 2:20am On Nov 14, 2014
melc4real:
end time things
end time movements
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Tedpgrass: 2:50am On Nov 14, 2014
Need to define the type of cousin....

1st....,2nd.....,3rd

Any genetic issues, religious or cultural implications...

Sticky.......
What happens when you break up . ...

Split the extended family up?

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by leoliki: 3:00am On Nov 14, 2014
Benard94:
There is this raging arguement in my area as to if one could date/marry his/her cousin. Some stood frankly against it while others saw no crack in it. Apart, what is the measure of closeness where one could restrict dating? Is cousin-dating ethical?
Islamically it is ok.there's nothing wrong with that
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 3:46am On Nov 14, 2014
The OP just want a go ahead to nyansh hin sister/cousin. lipsrsealed
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by InvertedHammer: 3:55am On Nov 14, 2014
Benard94:
There is this raging arguement in my area as to if one could date/marry his/her cousin. Some stood frankly against it while others saw no crack in it. Apart, what is the measure of closeness where one could restrict dating? Is cousin-dating ethical?
\
Perhaps dating your mother or sister will make more sense.

Women dey scarce?
/

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by NobleG1(m): 4:04am On Nov 14, 2014
Benard94:

Why must you date your cousin? Could you as well date your own sister?

There is a family blood link reason why the person is your cousin. The same reason you can't f*uck your sister should also apply to your cousin, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt, etc.

It's neither ethical nor healthy. There billions of unrelated humans in this world, one can choose from.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by emmabest2000(m): 4:28am On Nov 14, 2014
Benard94:
Dating your cousin KWA ?

4 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by ukandi1(m): 5:50am On Nov 14, 2014
Growing up, i was so attracted to some of my cousines that ehhhh.... If not for d interpretation to it( INCEST ) and d taboo thing , i would have gladly married one of them.
Just forget it dear.. There are also spiritual consequences to it in africa, d risk is not worth d grave after-effect
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by caniva(m): 5:52am On Nov 14, 2014
I dey imagine am, who and who go be for that kind wedding self? Infact, e go just be like family meeting.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 14, 2014
Stupid question that demands a stupid answer.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by ityP(m): 6:00am On Nov 14, 2014
But I can surely marry my cousin's cousin ooo... No blood ties... We are free

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by tonquendo4u(m): 6:03am On Nov 14, 2014
Haven't u heard of d word INCEST ? Ur cousin is ur blood for heaven's sake.i know of a tribe dt does dt in naija shaa
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by PDF: 6:16am On Nov 14, 2014
Umennajiego:
The Bible does not forbid marrying your cousin so let's make sure in our zeal to help others that we don't confuse what our culture teaches with what the Bible teaches.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Leviticus 18 lists the forbidden relationships and cousins are not forbidden nor is cousin marriage forbidden anywhere else in the Bible.

God may have chosen your cousin for you and if He chose him it would be a sin to walk away from this. There is no evidence that there is a significant increase in birth defects when cousins marry. The preferred marriage among the Israelites was cousin to cousin marriage and Jews to this day have an average I.Q. of over 120 with the highest population of Geniuses in the world. Ever hear of Einstein?

Both Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin married their first cousins. If such scientists as these had no fear of "defects" in their children then you should not. Their children were all healthy and bright. However, if you're really stupid and your cousin is really stupid then there is a much higher chance that your children will be really stupid. Is there room for a little humor here?

The fact is that cousin marriage was banned by the Roman Catholic church under 'Pope Gregory I' in an attempt to prevent the accumulation of wealth and power within families. The popes saw wealth among the common man as competition for their own power. This power structure exists in the Philippines to this day and is hampering economic development. The ban had nothing to do with our Bibles which we read regularly, don't we?

Civil disobedience has a long history within the Christian community. You've all heard of people power. When the people gathered by the thousands outside of Malacanang to oust Marcos that was against the law. Was it a sin? No. If you must go to another province or state to marry your cousin so that nobody will report you then that is what you must do. Will that be against the law? Maybe. Is it a sin? No. This is not unheard of in the Philippines, The United States, and many other countries where Born Again Christians live in sufficient numbers to make such laws of no effect. I know of such a couple in the Philippines and they live happily to this day. They're now in their 60s with 5 children and many grandchildren. They're born again of course because it is the pope who forbids cousin marriage, not the Bible.

Enjoy for your reading pleasure grin[color=#000099][/color]

YOU MUST NEVER HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH A CLOSE RELATIVE, FOR I AM THE LORD.

Leviticus 18:6
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by ddeola: 6:22am On Nov 14, 2014
There's no excuse now that the whole world is populated besides this is not Egypt where you can marry your blood sister (not sure if they still practice this).

Abeg, let's cross breed and mix.

This is currently the problem in Europe because the royal families were marrying only royalties, now they have serious health challenges.

My opinion: don't marry your cousin, he/she is still your blood brother/sister
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Chigold101(m): 6:27am On Nov 14, 2014
samflexxy:
religion--there's no place in the bible which state that thu shall not have a relation with thu cousin

Societal--- I leave my life for me not for anybody
to say you live ur life for urself is a lie. Cos if u get injured and find yourself in a hospital; ur parents, ur siblings, ur relations even ur girl friend(s) all would be runing up and down to see that u recover, therefore, noone lives ‘just‘ for himself, even a mad person.

Onthe matter at hand. I dont know your tribe but i am igbo and in my culture it is a serious ‘alu.‘ it should not be heard of or even discussed.

The questions one would ask here is- why do we date? Where will this relationship lead us to? Can this person am dating be my wife in the morrow?

Well to me there is no point dating whom you wont allow to get married to.
There is no point dating who u cant boldly introduce to ur family as your guy or girl.

But if dating is just for sex, fun without a tomorrow, anybody can date anything.

But remember that we cant run away from coming incontact with tomorrow. Therefore, you must consider the future before you commit ur today into anything....

Meeeen seee sermon on the plain...

2 Likes

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Cherrywhite(f): 6:37am On Nov 14, 2014
Nope,its wrong,no matter what there's still blood ties,forget it joor.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by HirstMOG(m): 6:41am On Nov 14, 2014
There are somethings I think we should not even imagin. out of the millions of people in Nigeria who are not your close relatives and the other billions around the world, why should it be that it is your cousin your mind would chose for a relationship/marriage?
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Lankaline(m): 6:47am On Nov 14, 2014
Suzyky4u:
In Oguta where I come from, we have twenty-seven clans/villages inside Oguta. Can u believe that you can't even marry someone from your clan/village? You must have to choose your spouse from the other 26 villages. So op culture varies.

wow,,,was there last week,,,i always stop there(oguta junction) when goin to ma villa,,(amiri),,,,,we r from same road,,,but not cousin-wise,,lolz
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:03am On Nov 14, 2014
Umennajiego:
The Bible does not forbid marrying your cousin so let's make sure in our zeal to help others that we don't confuse what our culture teaches with what the Bible teaches.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Leviticus 18 lists the forbidden relationships and cousins are not forbidden nor is cousin marriage forbidden anywhere else in the Bible.

God may have chosen your cousin for you and if He chose him it would be a sin to walk away from this. There is no evidence that there is a significant increase in birth defects when cousins marry. The preferred marriage among the Israelites was cousin to cousin marriage and Jews to this day have an average I.Q. of over 120 with the highest population of Geniuses in the world. Ever hear of Einstein?

Both Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin married their first cousins. If such scientists as these had no fear of "defects" in their children then you should not. Their children were all healthy and bright. However, if you're really stupid and your cousin is really stupid then there is a much higher chance that your children will be really stupid. Is there room for a little humor here?

The fact is that cousin marriage was banned by the Roman Catholic church under 'Pope Gregory I' in an attempt to prevent the accumulation of wealth and power within families. The popes saw wealth among the common man as competition for their own power. This power structure exists in the Philippines to this day and is hampering economic development. The ban had nothing to do with our Bibles which we read regularly, don't we?

Civil disobedience has a long history within the Christian community. You've all heard of people power. When the people gathered by the thousands outside of Malacanang to oust Marcos that was against the law. Was it a sin? No. If you must go to another province or state to marry your cousin so that nobody will report you then that is what you must do. Will that be against the law? Maybe. Is it a sin? No. This is not unheard of in the Philippines, The United States, and many other countries where Born Again Christians live in sufficient numbers to make such laws of no effect. I know of such a couple in the Philippines and they live happily to this day. They're now in their 60s with 5 children and many grandchildren. They're born again of course because it is the pope who forbids cousin marriage, not the Bible.

Enjoy for your reading pleasure grin[color=#000099][/color]
Who Devil no fit use
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:17am On Nov 14, 2014
dawealthiestman:
can't think of anything to comment so I'm just going to post a pancake recipe.

1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup caster sugar
25g butter, melted
Whisk milk, egg and vanilla together in a jug. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in centre. Add milk mixture. Whisk until just combined.

Step 2

Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with butter. Using 1/4 cup mixture per pancake, cook 2 pancakes for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface. Turn and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture, brushing pan with butter between batches. Serve.
n u get wat
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 14, 2014
lipsrsealed

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by charlsecy(m): 7:18am On Nov 14, 2014
NobleG1: Why must you date your cousin? Could you as well date your own sister?
Hexzyz: The Bible goes against such.
enkay4love: Read King James version,Leviticus 18:9.
@endkay4love.

What is difficult for you to understand here? Leviticus 18:9 KJV says,

"The unclothedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their unclothedness thou shalt not uncover."

The verse condemns having relations with your sister or half-sister, whether from the mother's side or the father's. Like I said before, marriage between cousins is never prohibited in the Bible. However, some cultures forbid it, while others accept it.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by PlutoLA(m): 7:21am On Nov 14, 2014
Well I think dating your cousin,especially first cousin is really wrong,she is too close a relative and the bible forbids such.As for Islam ehn,cousin-cousin marriage is one of the many wrong things that religion promotes so that shouldn't be used in an argument.Marriage btwn cousins is still in breeding and could have negative genetic effects on an offspring of such relationship,after all you and your cousin share a grandparent!!! Your cousin is almost as close as your sibling,that's d reality and that's y must cultures forbid such relationships
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:28am On Nov 14, 2014
Y Nigerians dey deaf like dis Boko Haram Neva do us na to go dey woo ours cousins again n Seun is letting dis into front page haaaaa wat a shame the end of NairaLand is near very very near cos looking at d topics making FP dis days something is wrong somewhere n for dose DAT are in d act of bleeping ur cousins u r simply BT a Coward who can't go for wat u want n dose still planing to after pls don't fail ur creator don't ooo if at u want to brake record or start something new pls fink of something not dis insane act ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by charlsecy(m): 7:34am On Nov 14, 2014
PlutoLA:
Well I think dating your cousin,especially first cousin is really wrong,she is too close a relative and the bible forbids such.
Stop lying, or saying what you wrongly think is true without verification. The Bible does not forbid cousin marriages. Such a marriage is not allowed in my community, anyway, but don't say what is contrary to the words in the Bible.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Bergs(m): 7:44am On Nov 14, 2014
We b goats?? Kaiiii some people deserve red card in life

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by laidian(m): 7:48am On Nov 14, 2014
Sorry what is a cousin?

Mr its not only unethical but also nonsensical.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by AngelicaDivine(f): 8:00am On Nov 14, 2014
Nupe culture allows it, but my Igbo culture forbids it
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by lilkudos(m): 8:02am On Nov 14, 2014
trisha01:
dis kin question sef

wouw first 2 comment......hapi birthday to moi.....ahhhhhhh shoki cheesy
God go make you bigger... Sekem!!!
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by trisha01(f): 8:05am On Nov 14, 2014
lilkudos:

God go make you bigger... Sekem!!!
amen oo

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

At Age 25, A Man Must Have An Apartment & 2 Cars - Lady Says And Was Blasted / What Is The Biggest Lesson You Learnt From A Past Relationship? / Date With My Colleague: I Have Ruined My Reputation At Work.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.