Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? (37984 Views)

Husband Rejecting The Wife's Food. Immaturity Or Punishment For D Wife / Traits Of Immaturity Displayed By Men In Marriage. / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by barrybanbi: 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2014
Truckpusher:
As long as you do not have any kind of meter to read the amount of emotional damage you're causing to your partner while you're on your silent treatment there is nothing as a mature soul in this case.

you are reading this as a one way strip issue, if you have an idea of what it takes to maintain your silence in the midst nagging partners and mr / Mrs always right people you will understand that silence sometimes is golden

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by isiomaella: 9:55pm On Nov 21, 2014
Some men behave dat way, but it shows immaturity of them
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Truckpusher(m): 9:58pm On Nov 21, 2014
barrybanbi:

you are reading this as a one way strip issue, if you have an idea of what it takes to maintain your silence in the midst nagging partners and mr / Mrs always right people you will understand that silence sometimes is golden
Not when the silence is aimed at making the other party to feel bad for doing something you don't like.Must people feel terrible each time they offend you for you to be appeased?

Can't peeps just sit people down and tell them the nature of their crime ?what is the essence of shutting one out completely from your life just to pass a message of displeasure? Wouldn't it have been wiser to call them after the initial scare has died down and speak your mind with respect,love and understanding after all one person can't always be right all the time.

Well, Mr and Mrs right kind of people to me seems to be a perfect match for each other as they belong to the same category of people.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
The problem with "silent treatment" is that if not controlled, it could actually cause the quarrel to linger, especially when the two people have big egos. In that case it becomes difficult for one of them to yield and approach the other to talk things over.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
donpeey22:
The problem with "silent treatment" is that if not controlled, it could actually cause the quarrel to linger, especially when the two people have big egos. In that case it becomes difficult for one of them to yield and approach the other to talk things over.

Yes, maybe when the "silent treater" decides to talk, the other party must have exhausted his/her patience. He/she may start giving another attitude, thereby lingering the quarrel.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by jauntty: 10:16pm On Nov 21, 2014
deb6:
Silence treatment is bad n a sign of immaturity.
Very true. My Ex did dat a lot. For me, I just ignore the person and act normal and enjoy my life. If I talk to u n u nor wan answer na ur headache be dat.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 21, 2014
Silent treatment is very very childish!

I did it once to a very close friend (female) in my final year.
She got me real mad in d early hours of d day. I just walked out on her without saying a word. That day was her bday. I didn't celebrate with her, didn't text or call her n I practically avoided her. Never knew dz lady was dying on d inside. I felt so stupiid when dx lady walked up to me some days after and apologized. Its really immature.

Whatever it is, talk it out and forget abt it. Just like d Bible rightly said....."don't let d sun go down on ur anger"..*

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by sibepoc(m): 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2014
I have a girlfriend who does things that annoys me and anytime she says i'm sorry i just forget about it and let it go but its's not like she knows that i'm sorry works always and now tends to keep repeating those annoying things. I'm having to give her the silent treatment and think of what to do with her cos i dont wanna break up. Am i at fault?
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
bosun11:

smiley smiley sorry about that

Thanks man
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 21, 2014
I have seen very close friends that can't remember the last time they spoke to each other because of dx thing called silent treatment.
One said, he has to apologise first before I can talk to him again. The other party said same. It lingered for 3 days. They didn't talk. 3 days became 3 months. 3 months became 3 years. I just pray 3 years won't become 30 years

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 21, 2014
bosun11:
Kachisbarbie : few hours and it occurred while we both went out

why hours?
What where you doing within those hours?
What was she doing too?
What was going through your mind?

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 10:26pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

why hours?
What where you doing within those hours?
What was she doing too?
What was going through your mind?

hours because she had to ask what was up and everything was settled
listening to music
well thinking of what happened and how to settle the misunderstandn
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Yes, maybe when the "silent treater" decides to talk, the other party must have exhausted his/her patience. He/she may start giving another attitude, thereby lingering the quarrel.
I agree with you.Also, in many cases, both the "silent treater" and " silent treatee" find it hard to approach each other to talk, even when it has become clear that they are at fault. It has to do with over bloated ego.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 21, 2014
bosun11:

hours because she had to ask what was up and everything was settled
listening to music
well thinking of what happened and how to settle the misunderstanding

So, I take it that if she didn't talk to you, you wouldn't have taken the step?

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Wisegeek01(m): 10:41pm On Nov 21, 2014
emeraldoe:
Sometimes silence is better. I give d silent treatment to make my hubby calm. He comes back to sort tins out if I jst bone and maintain my lane. But if I rant, hmm, d house will be on fire and he won't knw I'm angry. He dreads my silence

smiley nice, now here's someone
been real tho*

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Maximus85(m): 10:44pm On Nov 21, 2014
zexzy:
The silent treatment is so annoying, issues should be resolved as soon as the two ppl involved calm down. When you keep giving me the silent treatment the amount of respect i ve for you will keep going down.

you females do it more.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 10:44pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

So, I take it that if she didn't talk to you, you wouldn't have taken the step?

nope , maybe few days later when i have lighted up and thought about the previous occurence
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by guente02(m): 10:46pm On Nov 21, 2014
I don't give my fellow guys such treatment but to girls that try to make my life miserable omo mehn how many years do you want?
I will see u always but pim i no go talk. This is because talking to you sef is useless and why waste useful time talking to someone who doesn't give a eff about you.
There is this babe in my area. We're perceived friends but that babe hate me but wont tell me. If she knows i have a girlfriend she must make sure we break up and wouldn't allow me date her. Its 6 weeks now since we spoke last and I don't have time to stop if from counting. We see ourselves every day but who cares. Even if we start talking now it'll still be those useless things. So for me now its a break.
But if you are impacting my life +vely why would i want to practice such with you albeit such wouldn't be said for the opposite.
Cheers
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Wisegeek01(m): 10:56pm On Nov 21, 2014
Silent treatment is just very very bad,

But also you can't fight fire with fire,
Silence brings back balance
At least it shouldn't be overdone that I agree to*

It's experienced most times in a rift/argument or wen you need to get something into someone's head and they clearly don't wana listen*

Clearly there are some set of pple so daft it seems like they got Olumo rock in their Ear*

They just don't listen to anything u say, talking to em calmly won't help,
And shouting at them or trying to intimidate them into listening to what you say is like salt to injury,

All the same Silent treatment is still bad . .. But at times some pple take this step as a last resort*

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by blakky97(m): 10:59pm On Nov 21, 2014
deb6:
Silence treatment is bad n a sign of immaturity.
Why not say ur mind n 4get about the issue instead of keeping silent n habouring evil thoughts.
Exactly! if I discover a girl is very good at it, and uses it to get me feeling guilty, I'll break the relationship up no matter at what stage. I'll rather live with my walls, tv, door, kettle, bucket,a dog or parrot than a closed minded, numb partner. At least they all can't frown faces even though they don't talk
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by otswag(m): 11:00pm On Nov 21, 2014
. Apparently,most people think that the person giving the silent treatment is the immature one however many times, its the mature ones that are forced to do it as a last resort because they are in a relationship with someone that's immature or hard headed.When ur in a relationship with someone that never listens to you even when you try to settle issues calmly, u are stuck between always having a heated argument or d silent treatment. Frankly, in this scenario, I would go for the latter. It is less disturbing to d neighbors..lol. Its not a great choice but its d better of both options. However, it should not be abused except u don't mind if d relationship ends up in a break up.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Wisegeek01(m): 11:02pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

lolz.
When I go silent for long, I tend to harbour a lot of evil thought(s)/revenge.
I avoid it as much as possible.
You know it starts from 1min to 5mins, 1hour, a day....b4 you know it, it becomes a habit.

Not good @alll

Very True !
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by juman(m): 11:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
Silent for where?

To hell with one nigeria.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by blakky97(m): 11:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
100Cents:

Silent treatment is a sign of immaturity, pride, vain glory, self centeredness, stubbornness, discontent, disloyalty.

Its also a shame that people who engage in this attitude boast about it. One lady was boasting about giving her bf/Ex the silent treatment for one year.

" He still calls me and wants me, I promise him I am coming but I won't go, just posting him ".

She is taking pride in making someone a fool and being untrustworthy herself.
Very sweet if the guy stumbles on one sudden 100m naira.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 21, 2014
People should first define "silent treatment" before they discuss it.

Some people make silent treatment look like domestic abuse. lipsrsealed

My baby turns to silent mode each time we discuss something and both get angry. I would continue talking even though it would be futile in a situation, in which both are angry.

Each time he cuts off the conversation, I get angrier but leave the room to come back and apologize a few minutes later. I am normally very proud but I admire his ability to say stop when necessary and therefore feel that I owe him an apology. I am grateful he controls such (rare) occasions so well.

I am a lucky woman though because he never rejects my apologies. He puts his arms around me and we are peaceful.
Most times, we do not even have to discuss the same topic again and if we do then we do so in a peaceful way.

Silent treatment works on me because he does not do it to humiliate me.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Emperorking20(m): 11:27pm On Nov 21, 2014
I concur with the OP! However, I think it could also be used when anger doesn't dissipate quickly.. Its the better option when matched with saying things u'll only come to regret later grin

IN OTHER NEWS

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by lexxylalas2(m): 11:35pm On Nov 21, 2014
Only babies are meant to do the silent treatment and not adults.Alot of girls derive pleasure in doing.Daris God o.. angry
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Evicsholar(f): 11:44pm On Nov 21, 2014
I'm good @ giving silent treatment. I do it mostly when the other person is saying something stupid. A friend is so fond of saying senseless things that are mostly untrue just to get attention n make people laff. By the time I start dis ST, she go then know say she has started saying rubbish. And also whenever i'm angry, i prefer to be alone for sometime and then, i'm fine
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Wisegeek01(m): 12:01am On Nov 22, 2014
Everyone uses the silent treatment . ..
Take it to be the Ignore, Block, or Unfollow button,
Depending on the degree*

It now matters why your doing it,
what you tend to achieve out of it,
and for how long*

Lol" to an xtent it's childish, funny,
might be stupid too, but for some peeps it solves problems grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by DrGroove(f): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2014
For me,its silent treatment......Pretending nothing happened... I always ask God to give me the mind to be very silent,no matter what my husband Will ever do to me....Silent treatment is the best for a cheating man...If You confront him or wanna talk about it,he will get angry, claim being right and even beat you up.But pretend you didn't notice,go on with normal duty,be happier than usual. If he brings up the topic to be discussed, Just smile ,whistle and walk away.Meanwhile cook his favourite meals and behave like nothing happened.I love Silent treatment,As I don't have strength to talk plenty when am offended, it makes the other person feel very bad,his conscience will judge him to death and I will employ it in my marriage.So help me God.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Wisegeek01(m): 12:37am On Nov 22, 2014
So I'm breaking my rule of not writing too long on threads*

Some Silent treatment facts
(Not from Google wink )

1. Some pple don't do it intentionally but that's their own issue . .. Moving on

2. Some pple just dread silent treatment it scares the sh* out of them . .. Hehe
becos they just don't know what the other person is thinking, so they thread carefully, especially when they know it's their fault.

3.If a guy gives silent treatment just know the his partner rants a lot or maybe he wants to have alone time.

4.A silent treatment zone is never a safe one, it's like a scene from a horror flick, full of supsence thriller, so try to put an end to it once, apologise even if it's not your fault.

5.There are pple who overuse silent treatment to black mail their partners when ever there's a little argument, "like day in day out" that's an over stretch and pretty bad.

6.Some pple probably don't even know ur giving em silent treatment as a result ur d only one hurting, and they on the other hand just assume you just got issues you need to resolve within u,

7.If you tell a lady to shut up when she's trying to say something or see reasons with u, she might be so hurt to just slip into the silent treatment mode, and ur toast*

grin

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Baby Strapped To A Pillow So Her Mum Could Work (Picture) / Can I Stop My Wife From Wearing Trousers / PATERNITY FRAUD: 30% Of Nigerian Men Are Fathering Children That Aren’t Theirs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.