Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,763 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? (37987 Views)

Husband Rejecting The Wife's Food. Immaturity Or Punishment For D Wife / Traits Of Immaturity Displayed By Men In Marriage. / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Wisegeek01(m): 12:41am On Nov 22, 2014
DrGroove:
For me,its silent treatment......Pretending nothing happened... I always ask God to give me the mind to be very silent,no matter what my husband Will ever do to me....Silent treatment is the best for a cheating man...If You confront him or wanna talk about it,he will get angry, claim being right and even beat you up.But pretend you didn't notice,go on with normal duty,be happier than usual. If he brings up the topic to be discussed, Just smile ,whistle and walk away.Meanwhile cook his favourite meals and behave like nothing happened.I love Silent treatment,As I don't have strength to talk plenty when am offended, it makes the other person feel very bad,his conscience will judge him to death and I will employ it in my marriage.So help me God.

K

Well I won't say I totally dig the statement
"to employ it in your marriage"
I think you ought to hope and pray to get a God fearing and understanding man,
so there'd be no cause for silent treatment,
smiley
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by HotClumsyClown: 12:43am On Nov 22, 2014
In a society where the loudest is considered to be the right one, silent treatment is justified. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, some women (and men) are simply difficult to deal with. They must be right at all cost. Whatever you say means nothing to them. Hence, silent treatment becomes ideal. The less you respond to rude, critical, argumentative people...the more peaceful your life will become.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Pamcrest(f): 1:07am On Nov 22, 2014
I'm so guilty of this silent treatment. Once I fall silent during a discussion or argument, my man knows trouble is lurking....he just ends d discos n leaves my space. Depending on how he handles it, d situation may persist for hours.
Actually I need that time to cool off, gather my thoughts n phrase my communication module. And when I eventually lay into my speech, he begs me to stop because that he prefers d silent treatment! Women, can men ever fully understand us! grin
My humble submission
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 1:44am On Nov 22, 2014
I used to have serious anger management issues in addition to a tendency to becoming violent when i was younger, with time, i learnt the silent treatment. i once ignored my younger sister for two years (this is to show u how xtreme my case is). the silent treatment is highly toxic and kills relationships quickly and as a result of this, i always make sure i apologise and plead within 24hours of offending someone. i dont like keeping malice but when the need arises, i can literally ignore someone so hard that the person will begin to doubt his or her own existence. Some people have an exaggerated view of their self worth and can never apologise to people they offend irrespective of the circumstances, i always make it a point of duty to make people know where they went wrong and if they dont make the necessary amendments, i initialize the 'silent treatment' protocol which could last for mins, hours, days, weeks, months or even years till we drift apart and become strangers if the need arises.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by RaeMystix: 3:34am On Nov 22, 2014
I honestly do hate getting the silent treatment...Makes me nuts. I'll rather confront the situation head on, and be done with it.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by StarboyMichael(m): 3:45am On Nov 22, 2014
dmz:
If you don't abuse it, it can be very useful in handling some situations. I don't give the full silent treatment sha, will respond to necessary questions concerning other important issues with the barest minimum of words in reply. With regards to the issue that brought on the silent treatment I won't give an opinion anymore, usually say stuff like "I don't know" or "do whatever you think is right"

If am the one receiving the treatment I usually apologise for whatever and if you continue then you are on your own, will give you space and wait you out.

It could be good or bad but I think it's necessary.

You took the words out of my mouth. Balance is what matters
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by nemelu123(m): 4:33am On Nov 22, 2014
For Your Younger Ones
Jamb, Waec , Gce , Neco And All School Pume
Past Questions On Your Mobile Phone Call

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by milkytea(f): 4:51am On Nov 22, 2014
Honestly, it sounds silly but I never knew people actually did this in a marriage. Whenever I get in arguments with my siblings... I resort to the silent treatment. Just recently me and one of my elder brothers started talking again after almost a month of the mutual "silent treatment." After reflecting on it, I feel pretty ashamed that I would go so long w/o talking to my own brother...

But in a marriage? That's just sad. Not only should you be mature enough to handle your problems by taking turns to discuss what ails you, but a marriage is a team... and when not one but both partners of that team are not communicating properly - what's the use of keeping the team together? I believe in the old saying "Never go to bed angry" (it applies to marriages but also individual people) and if I ever do decide to get married, I hope to stay true to that adage.

I saw a comment on the first page that read "It's mostly women who do that" and you're probably right. Some women can be rather catty and immature, and think that the only way to get what they want is to be childish and manipulative towards their husbands - totally wrong. But, man or woman, it's a bad idea and will only damage the bond between you and your husband. Also, think of the long-term effects. Your partner will learn to expect such behavior from you and consequently won't trust you so easily even after you've eventually "kiss and made-up." Like Dr. Phil always says... "It takes a 1,000 'atta-boys' to erase one 'you're an i.diot.'" smiley
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 22, 2014
BABE3:
Silent treatment is a sign of maturity. It takes a lot of self control to shut your mouth, think things over, analyze and talk.

Silent treatment, when used the right way, is very effective.
Thatz my mind !!!
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by emeraldoe(f): 6:38am On Nov 22, 2014
@ milkytea, it depends on ur type of partner, u shud knw wot works for u to maintain peace in ur relationship. For me, wen my hubby is angry and u talk back, u av added salt on open wounds. I jst ignore him and stay on my own( if I'm not at fault) until he is ready to reason with me. I don't like shouting cos I cry easily
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by milkytea(f): 6:46am On Nov 22, 2014
emeraldoe:
@ milkytea, it depends on ur type of partner, u shud knw wot works for u to maintain peace in ur relationship. For me, wen my hubby is angry and u talk back, u av added salt on open wounds. I jst ignore him and stay on my own( if I'm not at fault) until he is ready to reason with me. I don't like shouting cos I cry easily

Oh yeah, as long as he eventually comes back to you and begins to reason like an adult - all is well. smiley

I just think, even in the moment when you're arguing, you should always remember why you married in the first place. Never let your negative feelings build up to the point where they become caustic venom ready to expel at the slightest err of your partner. What I mean is, the love you both share must always be at the forefront of your mind... everything else comes secondary. smiley
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 22, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

lolz.
When I go silent for long, I tend to harbour a lot of evil thought(s)/revenge.
I avoid it as much as possible.
You know it starts from 1min to 5mins, 1hour, a day....b4 you know it, it becomes a habit.

Not good @alll
so ve said it all. it should be completely avoided. its so dreadful and it eats into relationships and render dem lame.

ladies should take a leaf from u. cos dey are mostly de culprit

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by stephaniepearl(f): 7:22am On Nov 22, 2014
silent treatment is the best way to avoid saying things of latter regrets, I prefer to stay hushed than say rubbish
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by xtervaganza(m): 7:37am On Nov 22, 2014
I have a very big mouth and you know what happens when I get angry.....

Now I just apply the silent treatment so I won't say things that will hurt her.

We know how we sort our issues after the silent treatment
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Teespice(f): 7:45am On Nov 22, 2014
chai

silent treatment is something I dread the most.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by puffpuff: 8:03am On Nov 22, 2014
My ex was good at using silent treatment to punish me at any slightest provocation. She got used to it cos I can't withstand her not talking to me. Then, once she started being cold towards me, I would simply begged her even when she was d one at fault. Sometimes, it takes weeks and I would have been emotionally paralysed. At times, I would need to send emissaries to beg her.
That was the style until 4 months to our wedding when she brought up d same treatment over a minor disagreement on d style of d wedding gown. While I suggested that she should used local tailor to produce one at affordable price , she prefer foreign ready made material. All efforts at convincing her proved abortive.
She left my place and failed to pick my calls for 3 days . I went to her place to apologise and align with her taste but I was snubbed by her. This angered me and I decided to leave her alone. This was d situation till d wedding date could not materialised. Families interfered but she insisted she dealt with me.
I got tired of d whole thing and I called it quit. Within few months, I got wedded to my wife.
This is 4 years of our marital bliss, my ex is yet to find a partner. Although, she later came begging but I have already proposed to my wife and I can't withdraw it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by ajayiopy: 8:13am On Nov 22, 2014
Guys I need water

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by freecocoa(f): 8:24am On Nov 22, 2014
I believe only immature people use that technique, if you must cool off, take sometime to do that maximum of 30 minutes and then talk about it like adults.

I don't give silent treatment, it's very annoying.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 22, 2014
freecocoa:
I believe only immature people use that technique, if you must cool off, take sometime to do that maximum of 30 minutes and then talk about it like adults.

I don't give silent treatment, it's very annoying.
some people get Phd for that thing ooo grin grin grin
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by freecocoa(f): 8:37am On Nov 22, 2014
BABE3:
Silent treatment is a sign of maturity. It takes a lot of self control to shut your mouth, think things over, analyze and talk.

I won't call this pattern silent treatment if he/she needs to calm down first, I mean I won't like to talk if he's all angry, taking a few minutes to cool off and analyze like you said is a sign of maturity.

I'd like to think this is about those group of persons, who even after the heat is over, won't talk to their partners for days, that's just downright childish.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by freecocoa(f): 8:39am On Nov 22, 2014
2sExy1:
some people get Phd for that thing ooo grin grin grin
E be like say you dey the list abi grin.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2014
freecocoa:
E be like say you dey the list abi grin.
Nah... no time for such na. But I know people who do that. Abeg, that thing na waste of time. But as someone said, it takes maturity to pull that stunt in order to correct some lapses in a relationship I gave a school roommate the silent treatment because he was becoming too arrogant so as to call him to order. after a few days, we settled. but that's the only time in my life I can think of acting that way.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by iebanehita(m): 9:11am On Nov 22, 2014
puffpuff:
My ex was good at using silent treatment to punish me at slightest provocation. She got used to it cos I can't withstand her not talking to me. Then, once she started being cold towards me, I would simply begged her even when she was d once at fault. Sometimes, it takes weeks and I would have been emotionally paralysed. At times, I would need to send emissaries to beg her.
That was the style until 4 months to our wedding when she brought up d same style over a minor disagreement on d style of d wedding gown. While U suggested that she should used local tailor to produce one at affordable price , she prefer foreign ready made material. All efforts at convincing her proved abortive.
She left my place and failed to pick my calls for 3 days . I went to her place to apologise and align with her taste but I was snubbed by her. This angered me and I decided to leave her alone. This was d situation till d wedding date could not materialised. Families interfered but she insisted she want to deal with me.
I got tired of d whole thing and I called it quit. Within few months, I got wedded to my wife.
This is 4 years of our marital bliss, my ex is yet to find a partner. Although, she later came begging but I have already proposed to my wife and I can't withdraw it.

You are a nice man and very patient and humble.

For me to start apologising to a lady when she is at fault is something am yet to fathom.
Who does she think she is? some demigod?

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by freecocoa(f): 9:17am On Nov 22, 2014
2sExy1:
Nah... no time for such na. But I know people who do that. Abeg, that thing na waste of time. But as someone said, it takes maturity to pull that stunt in order to correct some lapses in a relationship I gave a school roommate the silent treatment because he was becoming too arrogant so as to call him to order. after a few days, we settled. but that's the only time in my life I can think of acting that way.
Anyone I'm able to stay a few days without talking to over an argument is gone from my life for good, I'm the type of person who understands communication and can tell you whatever I want without yelling but I realized that with my ex, that changed, I was getting angrier than I used to be,started yelling and all cos he almost drove me nuts with his keeping malice and carrying things in mind nature, the normal me that can't go hours without talking to a friend, was now staying 2/3 days without talking to my boyfriend because he just won't talk even after you've said 'sorry' or 'let's talk about it' even when he was in the wrong, and when he eventually decides to talk, it would be in anger and I'll be like, it's been days for feck's sakes, why are you still sounding so angry? I just realized that's so not me abeg, I was turning to a malicious, angry and resentful person, then he slapped me and I decided, there's no going back.

I hate malice and don't know how to keep it, so I don't gel well with people who keep malice at all being someone who's very blunt.

Btw, if not for that attitude of his, I prolly would have married him cos he can be sweet, but that anger issue of his no fit allow me.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 22, 2014
Sophyrocks:
If its done to calm your nerves/anger, fine. But it becomes immaturity when abused at the slightest provocation or for every misunderstanding and when its prolonged. Its capable of destroying relatnshps/marriages. Ive heard of a marriage that ended in divorce becos of silent treatment that lasted for a year. Thats how dangerous it is. Communication is key.

Yeah right. My husband does that a lot. Is the grace of God that we are still together. Silent treatment is very bad.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 22, 2014
freecocoa:
Anyone I'm able to stay a few days without talking to over an argument is gone from my life for good, I'm the type of person who understands communication and can tell you whatever I want without yelling but I realized that with my ex, that changed, I was getting angrier than I used to be,started yelling and all cos he almost drove me nuts with his keeping malice and carrying things in mind nature, the normal me that can't go hours without talking to a friend, was now staying 2/3 days without talking to my boyfriend because he just won't talk even after you've said 'sorry' or 'let's talk about it' even when he was in the wrong, and when he eventually decides to talk, it would be in anger and I'll be like, it's been days for feck's sakes, why are you still sounding so angry? I just realized that's so not me abeg, I was turning to a malicious, angry and resentful person, then he slapped me and I decided, there's no going back.

I hate malice and don't know how to keep it, so I don't gel well with people who keep malice at all being someone who's very blunt.

Btw, if not for that attitude of his, I prolly would have married him cos he can be sweet, but that anger issue of his no fit allow me.
eyah. I can feel the pain even in your write up here. People are different you know? Yeah, being a simple person that you are, you often wonder why certain persons can't be simple but complex in their approach to issue, you imagine that we are humans with brain and mind for understand but then... People complicate issues. Little things can be settled but then people just make it difficult.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Ugom87(f): 9:47am On Nov 22, 2014
Truckpusher:
@Kachisbarbie......Silent treatment givers are emotional blackmailers.

One common thing that I have noticed about silent treatment givers is their inability to receive just 1 minute of silent treatment from their partners.
They will do everything humanly possible to make you talk,they will poke you,they will do all manner of things even irritating things to make you talk and the more they do this the more offensive they become.They would rather cover all their misdeeds with playful banters instead of sitting down and talk about the issue at hand.But as soon as it becomes them at the other end, they will stone up and become as cold as anything and expect you to beg until their ego is well massaged and they will turn around and behave as if they've done one great favor for you......All na wayo. cheesy

They are indirectly manipulating you - Because immediately after then whatever they do that doesn't go down well with you would get a natural waiver because no man in his right senses would want to stir up the hornet's nest after all that silent treatment and the begging for peace that followed.

I repeat silent treatment is immature and childish and they can be manipulative - And if you try it with me ,I'll personally treat you like you never existed until you come back to your senses and act like human. grin

You got it right.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by freecocoa(f): 9:55am On Nov 22, 2014
2sExy1:
eyah. I can feel the pain even in your write up here. People are different you know? Yeah, being a simple person that you are, you often wonder why certain persons can't be simple but complex in their approach to issue, you imagine that we are humans with brain and mind for understand but then... People complicate issues. Little things can be settled but then people just make it difficult.
I dey tell you, you get it, I just wonder why can't people just be simple? You see little things turn to big issues, na just wa.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by ReLaTE(m): 10:02am On Nov 22, 2014
BABE3:

I concur
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 22, 2014
freecocoa:
I dey tell you, you get it, I just wonder why can't people just be simple? You see little things turn to big issues, na just wa.
sure. I am same person as you as well... Very simple person and I have experience such people in life. These days, I don't take a lot of people serious anymore for reasons I can't explain. Maybe it's because of my experience or something sha... I can't really tell.

God dey...
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by 2gbasky22(m): 10:12am On Nov 22, 2014
Oboy! I do that ish a whole lot, most especially to girl. That why they say i dey form but me nor care jare
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by jogerry: 10:19am On Nov 22, 2014
PAID MATCH DATING ACCOUNT FEMALE = $15
PAID MATCH DATING ACCOUNT MALE = $15
PAID CHEMISTRY DATING ACCOUNT = $10
PAID MATE 1 DATING ACCOUNT = $8
PAID ZOOSK DATING ACCOUNT = $12
ALIBABA ACCOUNT = $10
WELSFARGO BANK LOGIN ACCOUNT $19K = $85
WELSFARGO BANK LOGIN ACCOUNT $14K = $75
WELSFARGO BANK LOGIN ACCOUNT $20K = $105
WELSFARGO BANK LOGIN ACCOUNT $15K = $67
RDP USA .........................= $11
UPS ACCOUNT(GURANTEE SHIPPING) = $12
CPANEL( HACKED PANEL ) = $11
All logins working perfect
Add me up

kramankhan@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Baby Strapped To A Pillow So Her Mum Could Work (Picture) / Can I Stop My Wife From Wearing Trousers / PATERNITY FRAUD: 30% Of Nigerian Men Are Fathering Children That Aren’t Theirs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.