Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,674 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? (37929 Views)

Husband Rejecting The Wife's Food. Immaturity Or Punishment For D Wife / Traits Of Immaturity Displayed By Men In Marriage. / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by 100Cents: 9:04pm On Nov 21, 2014
englishmart:
this thread is distorting my silence.
I'm currently giving someone a silent treatment

2 Minutes silence over your head !
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Truckpusher(m): 9:04pm On Nov 21, 2014
barrybanbi:

it depend on how the power is wheeled, what if the person is not mature enough ? if u ever deals with a nagging partner you will understand that silent treatment is for mature soul to practice.
As long as you do not have any kind of meter to read the amount of emotional damage you're causing to your partner while you're on your silent treatment there is nothing as a mature soul in this case.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by dmz(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Wellsaid, the bible is against it. It could even lead to cheating, because in those few minutes, the other party may seek some other companion (maybe online sef).

With time, the person may start looking forward to the silent treatment or intentionally annoy you, because it would be an opportunity to do what he/she pleases.

That is when it becomes immaturity or whatever.

People need to realise that different people will react differently to any given situation. If her/his way of dealing with issues where you were at fault is the silent treatment over a period of time then you man up and suffer the consequences of your actions.

If he or she gives out the silent treatment for everything then you reconsider your relationship
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by 100Cents: 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2014
BABE3:

Shut your mouth. You must have a low self esteem; that's why getting the silent treatment kills you. You constantly want attention, don't you? You constantly want to be spoken to, even if you're in the wrong and your partner needs space, don't you?

What is the big deal in both parties keeping quiet, regrouping and coming back to squash the issue? Don't you know it's as a result of talking too much that people say things or do things they wish they never said/did? You want your partner/friend to forgive you as soon as possible because you're selfish, disregarding the fact that they need space away from you?

Silence is also a form of communication. It's a temporary fix. By the time, both of get back together, the anger and rage would have reduced.

Again, it only works for matured folks.

The fact you do it doesn't make it right.

Seeing that you have High Self Esteem and you are Mature.

Please be diplomatic..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Richy4(m): 9:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
manny4life:

Why do you have to hit someone? Whatever happened to communicating the wrongs to the person... Like many have said, silent treatment is just as bad as everything there is to. If you ignored me, you better believe I will ignore you for life. You will be the one later begging for forgiveness.

did you read what i said about hitting someone?
Anyways, it works for me. every one is unique in their own ways. and people has/ have different ways of dealing with situation. you cannot stand and judge simply because you have a different way of dealing with issues. and i am not about to change that. yes i communicate but have you ever seen someone that speaks normally but when he/she is angry, speeches fails him/her. because of anger. you wanna talk, you are over come with emotion and you wanna hit something because someone overshadowed you because he/she is eloquent in speaking when there are issues.

As i said, you guys should not sit and start judging because you have never gone to ask people why they do silent treatment
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by dmz(m): 9:11pm On Nov 21, 2014
100Cents:

Please be diplomatic..

The fact that you can't deal with it doesn't make it immature or wrong either
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Richy4(m): 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
Truckpusher:
How would you react when a girl that wouldn't talk to you for hours after begging for mercy locks the door while your inside the house,won't let you take walk and hold your cloth while mouthing all vile and abominable things into your ears,all pleas from you to walk away is greeted with more of an offensive and provocative words over some trivial issues. How would you react? cheesy

You never jam some drama queen,my advice is for you to walk away the moment you begin to notice her as a violent drama queen,else you'd be forced to do what you have to do just to survive. angry

that is just a minor situation. Any one who does silent treatment has endured enough. he/she has seen enough and believe me majority are not super angry easily.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by BABE3: 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
100Cents:

Please be diplomatic..

You too be diplomatic in receiving the silent treatment; it won't kill you, it'll only make you stronger. cheesy
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by 100Cents: 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
dmz:

The fact that you can't deal with it doesn't make it immature or wrong either

Your relationship calls the result.

You don win .
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Richy4(m): 9:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
Truckpusher:
How would you react when a girl that wouldn't talk to you for hours after begging for mercy locks the door while your inside the house,won't let you take walk and hold your cloth while mouthing all vile and abominable things into your ears,all pleas from you to walk away is greeted with more of an offensive and provocative words over some trivial issues. How would you react? cheesy

You never jam some drama queen,my advice is for you to walk away the moment you begin to notice her as a violent drama queen,else you'd be forced to do what you have to do just to survive. angry

that is just a minor situation. Any one who does silent treatment has endured enough. he/she has seen enough and believe me majority are not super angry easily. they must told you several times they do not like this and you ignore or took it for granted.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 21, 2014
Truckpusher:
Silent treatment is immature and childish.

If you have a problem with someone ,the best way is to talk about it and if that person is mature both of you should be able to iron out your differences and whoever that is at fault should find it less hard to apologize and everyone involved gets to move on.

Most folks that prefers the silent treatment are emotional blackmailers and I for once do not hesitate to walk away from such drama.

There is no point staying with someone that wouldn't talk to you for days or do things with you in harmony,I'd rather get myself a manikin at home than live with a silent emotional abuser........They are manipulators and you do not let anybody manipulate and play with your emotions.

you are right. My boyfriend did that to me, he first started with sulking, then to silent treatment and I in turn started it too. Sometimes it lasts for weeks. It was part of the reason that cost me a relshp that was alter bound. The thing is that quiet people have for disposition towards silent treatment and he is the quiet type. But he's really someone to be with and I miss him so much. I called it quits with him but sometimes I have this urge to reconcile with him but can't do that cos I have pride and integrity. I am still regretting the way things went and I wish it could go back to before.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:14pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

lolz.
When I go silent for long, I tend to harbour a lot of evil thought(s)/revenge.
I avoid it as much as possible.
You know it starts from 1min to 5mins, 1hour, a day....b4 you know it, it becomes a habit.

Not good @alll

hmmmmm...isok married lady smiley smiley
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2014
likeseriously:

you are right. My boyfriend did that to me, he first started with sulking, then to silent treatment and I in turn started it too. Sometimes it lasts for weeks. It was part of the reason that cost me a relshp that was alter bound. The thing is that quiet people have for disposition towards silent treatment and he is the quiet type. But he's really someone to be with and I miss him so much. I called it quits with him but sometimes I have this urge to reconcile with him but can't do that cos I have pride and integrity. I am still regretting the way things went and I wish it could go back to before.

then y not drop the ego and take what rightly belongs to you ? just an opinion though

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 21, 2014
bosun11:

hmmmmm...isok married lady smiley smiley

hmmmm...
You sound like someone that gives the treatment? angry

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by 100Cents: 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
bosun11:

then y not drop the ego and take what rightly belongs to you ? just an opinion though

Leave her, proud and immature people have good excuses to remain in regret through life.

"I wish, I regret, but I have pride and integrity"

But, who doesn't ? From her write up, she messed up the relationship and she is the right person to restore the relationship but her pride and integrity will be trampled.

So let the regret continue..
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by dmz(m): 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
likeseriously:

This applies to me. I'm quiet and an introvert so when you give me the silent treatment you're doing me a favour

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
i do it most times and the good part is she notices it immediately , then we sort the issues and end it amicably and the same thing goes for her too ...its all about understanding , knowing when to talk and listen...#my opinion
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

hmmmm...
You sound like someone that gives the treatment? angry

Yes i do .....i just posted it as a comment, didn't even know you would say such smiley smiley
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2014
I am passing through one rite now with my spouse and is killing.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2014
Bridgetown:
I am passing through one rite now with my spouse and is killing.

smiley smiley sorry about that
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2014
BABE3 : Nice comment....just for matured folks
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Zikkie(f): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2014
Truckpusher:
Silent treatment is immature and childish.

If you have a problem with someone ,the best way is to talk about it and if that person is mature both of you should be able to iron out your differences and whoever that is at fault should find it less hard to apologize and everyone involved gets to move on.

Most folks that prefers the silent treatment are emotional blackmailers and I for once do not hesitate to walk away from such drama.

There is no point staying with someone that wouldn't talk to you for days or do things with you in harmony,I'd rather get myself a manikin at home than live with a silent emotional abuser........They are manipulators and you do not let anybody manipulate and play with your emotions.

Truth! @ 'they are manipulators' ...
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 21, 2014
let us be mindful that silence is golden. words spoken in anger cannever be withdrawn. Moreso when you have been irreversibly oppressed by a very senior family member whose target is to get words from you and use it to hang you

the best treatment here should be silence.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Rapsainot(m): 9:33pm On Nov 21, 2014
mercylicious:

my ex went mad cos of silent treatment. a minor disagreement, he got angry, i got angry too cos i wasnt at fault. he started the silent treatment. i joined him . 7days later the guy ran mad. it took a lot of midnight prayer and fasting and much more before he got himself. that ended the rship of many years. ...story plenty sha but dt one ended.
hmmm
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 21, 2014
I don't do the silent treatment , even if you do the worst of things to me I'll share a laugh or joke with you the next minute and if you decide to give me the silent treatment I'll try to break the ice within an hour or two , if you still don't talk to me I'll leave you to your demons and wait till you come around. You'll also notice that I'll take over whatever chore or duties you perform , thankfully I'm a great cook and I wash my own clothes , any other thing you do in the house I'll just start doing them. Shikena
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 21, 2014
mercylicious:

my ex went mad cos of silent treatment. a minor disagreement, he got angry, i got angry too cos i wasnt at fault. he started the silent treatment. i joined him . 7days later the guy ran mad. it took a lot of midnight prayer and fasting and much more before he got himself. that ended the rship of many years. ...story plenty sha but dt one ended.

eleyi gidi gaan
Tell me you're joking?

@bosun11...why do you do it?
For how long do you give the treatment?

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Blackchampion(m): 9:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
Unibenstudent:
[i]two guys? That's weird.
Guys get over issues easily.
I hate it a lot, e dey painnn me for body. cry[/i]my brother is disrespectful and overtly meticulous and we clash on issues that deal with been meticulous so,,I don black list d guy
U re just saying my mind on dis thread. Thumbs up
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 21, 2014
dmz:

This applies to me. I'm quiet and an introvert so when you give me the silent treatment you're doing me a favour

Hahaha doing you a favour. Haha
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by bosun11(m): 9:45pm On Nov 21, 2014
Kachisbarbie : few hours and it occurred while we both went out
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by kamez(m): 9:47pm On Nov 21, 2014
Well here is how it works for me..

When I'm wrong i apologise.. When I think u re wrong I talk to you about it right away.. If u refuse to admit that u re wrong and apologise, then there is obviously nothing left for us to talk about...

So I bombard you with Silent Treatment until either one of thses two things happen..

1 until u come back to ur senses and apologise.. Or

2. I get tired of the silent treatment and I ll just let everything fly
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by oloriB(f): 9:48pm On Nov 21, 2014
Big English 'Silent treatment' to me its malice!
Some people naturally are malicious,I realize that this set of people when they offend you they try to act funny, play with you, instead of apologizing or tackling the issue. Just offend them you would think the world would end. They would keep malice, not accept your apologies, keep frowning, act like even Jesus won't forgive, meanwhile they do worst. One more thing, if you check their background they grew up in malicious homes.
I have learnt from experience you need to study someone before before commitment or marriage. Some people are demons, they are out to frustrate lives.

4 Likes

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 21, 2014
Okikiki:
let us be mindful that silence is golden. words spoken in anger cannever be withdrawn. Moreso when you have been irreversibly oppressed by a very senior family member whose target is to get words from you and use it to hang you

the best treatment here should be silence cos some actions speak louder than words.

I noticed here that people are mistaking being silent in the face of provocation and silent treatment. They are not the same. Silent treatment is a strategy employed by someone to emotionally manipulate another whom they are having issues with. It is a kind of warfare and malice keeping whereby someone's silence kills you faster than rash words.
It does not mean controlling temper or argument by being silent at the moment, but it is something someone does for a while, from 1 mins to 5mins to a whole day to weeks and so forth depending on their capacity to go on. Don't confuse the two please, silence is golden but silent treatment sulks and is unhealthy for any relationship whatsoever. It kinda cost me mine. Will never do it again.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Things A Woman Must Never Do To Her Husband / Ladies Do You Remember This Doll? / Oluwaseun Bankole: Who Has Found This Missing Lady?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.