Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? (37932 Views)

Husband Rejecting The Wife's Food. Immaturity Or Punishment For D Wife / Traits Of Immaturity Displayed By Men In Marriage. / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by 2gbasky22(m): 10:24am On Nov 22, 2014
Oboy! I do that ish a whole lot, most especially to girl. That's why they say i dey form but me nor care jare

there was a time my immediate elder sister and i went on silent mode for almost a year living in the Same house, mehn it wasn't funny at all. I can be so mutual with everybody but i hate pple who feel too big.

Like someone said b4 " I CAN KEEP YOU QUIET UNTIL YOU DOUBT YOUR VERY OWN EXISTENCE"
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by peter4d2(m): 10:50am On Nov 22, 2014
Tymax:

2 hours? No, that's too short.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by wakes: 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2014
manny4life:
This is the most childish form of behavior... I do not like it and don't encourage it. A friend and I are going through the same problem, perhaps this is it. Something happened two weeks ago which is obviously not my fault; this happened on a Wednesday, he contacted me on Thursday and apologized for what he did and said "have a great day". I called and text him on Saturday, no response. The following week, I called and sent him texts several times, he did not respond. I called again this week and then reached out to one of his friends to know if he was okay; dude confirmed that he was in NY for the weekend. Well guess what, I told him to pass on the message to him. Tell him I said good luck because I wouldn't be contacting him again; I don't have time for grown men who act like women. That was it and that's it for me. If we ever talked again, I will cut off the friendship immediately.
Eeyaa, sorry for your experience.
Pls don't cut off. Pray for him. It is a WEAKNESS which MOSTLY INTROVERTED persons are prone to. Just see how you can help them overcome.
Thanks dear1.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by wakes: 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2014
platinumricky:
I used to have serious anger management issues in addition to a tendency to becoming violent when i was younger, with time, i learnt the silent treatment. i once ignored my younger sister for two years (this is to show u how xtreme my case is). the silent treatment is highly toxic and kills relationships quickly and as a result of this, i always make sure i apologise and plead within 24hours of offending someone. i dont like keeping malice but when the need arises, i can literally ignore someone so hard that the person will begin to doubt his or her own existence. Some people have an exaggerated view of their self worth and can never apologise to people they offend irrespective of the circumstances, i always make it a point of duty to make people know where they went wrong and if they dont make the necessary amendments, i initialize the 'silent treatment' protocol which could last for mins, hours, days, weeks, months or even years till we drift apart and become strangers if the need arises.
Thanks for sharing.
Do you know your temperament? Try and pick this book WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO. by Tim Lahaye to read. You are blessed!
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by wakes: 12:34pm On Nov 22, 2014
I found this link and thought I should share with you. It is about TEMPERAMENTS...http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/fksomuah/temperament-9259124
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2014
Truckpusher:
The silent treatment is filled with the worst hidden drama of all time you can ever imagine

To start off, ♫ what's love got to do, got to do with it? ♫ cheesy Let's set love, affection, passion and all that aside because the silent treatment has nothing to do with any of it. You mentioned that you've been in a relationship that featured deep love and passion...and the ST. See? But what you described wasn't just the ST, it was DRAMA with a capital D-R-A-M-A. And tbh, I can totally understand why you'd associate the two now.

I prefer silence and space over the drama you described. I'd take it over bickering, arguing, screaming matches and etc any time/day. It's always been a personality trait of mine to retreat from all that, but I'm not a zombie and my thoughts and emotions are bound to manifest in other ways. Plus I get migraines, so I don't like loud noises and belligerent people. During the duration of an issued ST, I guarantee I won't be doing any poking, prodding, tickling or any of that odd bullshyt you mentioned - and I totally agree with you on that being manipulative behavior. For many of us, silence is silence. Silence gives me clarity, and the first thing I consider is the possibility that I might be wrong, and even if I am right, whether I can concede, or if I should stand my ground. I wouldn't give the silent treatment out for any little inconsequential issue, and I don't dish out what I can't take.

Onto your scenario: I'd like to ask you if you noticed the full-scale manipulation that took place? In your scenario, "I'm" using the presence of a third-party (my sister!) to manipulate my man into speaking with me, knowing all to well that he's angry and doesn't want to. He's at least trying to keep up appearances for others, and "I'm" throwing in a dirty towel and airing our laundry smdh. Never happening! I'm all too familiar with that annoying tactic, and I have way too much pride to use it anyhow. On the contrary, I'd give him his space, take some for me, and approach him - in private - when I'm good and ready to swallow my pride, and admit my fault [if I was wrong]. As for how my sister would perceive me/him, I would hope she (or anyone else) has the good sense not to jump to conclusions and empty assumptions! A while back, my cousin and his wife were over, and I noticed the unusual cold air between them (despite their trying to hide it). But guess what? It was none of my freakin' business! And when I saw them again, they were back to their old selves. Do not lovers fight?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by ceononi: 12:57pm On Nov 22, 2014
For me, I think its immaturity for you to use silent treatment for that same person you claim you love and or sharing the same bed with...If you've got a problem, talk about it and let your partner know what they have done wrong. This treatment is like a wild fire, it destroys relationships pretty faster than you can imagine..Grow some balls and talk about whatever problem you have with your partner.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Rheetaa(f): 1:04pm On Nov 22, 2014
Some husbands with poor communication skills and ego issues use the silent treatment a lot. Not just women. Immature, yes. May mean he's not interested in the union. On further examination, one would find the habit of malice-keeping was never new to them before marriage.

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2014
100Cents:

Starightway to hell..

Ephesians 4:26.

Be ye angry and sin not : let not the sun go down upon your wrath..

So its a silly person who keeps bearing a grudge for over 24 hours... when he or she can talk it over

Sorry, I don't pretend. I'm sure the good book also had something to say about pretenders, liars, and deceit?

Silence and 'holding a grudge' aren't necessarily the same thing. And who gives the treatment over something that hasn't been 'talked over'?
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by scholarosisi(f): 1:49pm On Nov 22, 2014
Am still on mine now it has lasted for 3 months. my husband tried to break the silence initialy but I refused to coporate. Sincerely speaking am tired now, I have made efforts to restore communication with him but is like he prefer us living that way. I have started praying for God's intervention.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by BABE3: 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2014
freecocoa:
I won't call this pattern silent treatment if he/she needs to calm down first, I mean I won't like to talk if he's all angry, taking a few minutes to cool off and analyze like you said is a sign of maturity.

I'd like to think this is about those group of persons, who even after the heat is over, won't talk to their partners for days, that's just downright childish.

Maybe they need more time away from you? How can you tell if the heat is over for them? If the heat is over for you it may not be over for them.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by freecocoa(f): 2:58pm On Nov 22, 2014
BABE3:

Maybe they need more time away from you? How can you tell if the heat is over for them? If the heat is over for you it may not be over for them.
Really? So you had an issue with your partner and after days you still need more time away from them especially over minor issues? That's very malicious if you asked me and such a habit is not one to be proud of.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by eighty7: 3:12pm On Nov 22, 2014
silent treatment doesn't work for ondo and ekiti people. dem get strong head no be small..
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by DeeMain(m): 4:01pm On Nov 22, 2014
Silent treatments (the bad kind) are subconscious habits learnt from dysfunctional homes, drama-filled homes and homes that have poor communication skills. Most people that use the extreme kind of ST, learnt to use it to survive overwhelming pain, abuse, confusion, threats, danger in their childhood - situations where you are better off silent, where speaking would bring u punishment, pain or ridicule.. Most times it is a coping mechanism for some people that had tough/intimidating/dysfunctional childhood experiences.

Sad thing is, they learnt to use it to survive danger or pain in childhood, but continue to act as if that old threat is still there when provoked or triggered in adulthood. In essence, they are not just responding to what you did or said. You triggered something deeper.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by RaeMystix: 4:01pm On Nov 22, 2014
Beyond immature.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by tadeibk: 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2014
Hinata no fit do silent treatment for naruto kraa. It sha brings the piont home to me.
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2014
Silence is way better than violence! Some people control their temper with silence.. I'm an example and I got it from my dad..
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Dwinsil: 6:38pm On Nov 22, 2014
at times its good to be silent to avoid provocation..
joor
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 22, 2014
wakes:

Thanks for sharing.
Do you know your temperament? Try and pick this book WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO. by Tim Lahaye to read. You are blessed!
thanks for the hint..
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nmeri17: 9:52pm On Nov 22, 2014
VEEEERY VERY advisable kiss once yo PARTINA begins to act as if they are brain deficient, it is best to treat them till the deficiency is properly healed wink talking to them will drag u into their insane little world and u don't want that!! suffer him/her tilli u feel they have paid for their sins enough.

But sha it only works for someone that loves u o!! Lol. if u try it on person wey no send u na u go suffer pass cheesy cheesy
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by isaacdan31(m): 10:28pm On Nov 22, 2014
Even if am very furious with my wife, i dnt tink i would let it linger cos of my belly oooooo. u no now! I mean chopingson
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by heemah(f): 10:55pm On Nov 22, 2014
My relationship is on d verge of crashing due to this rubbish called SL!!

2 Likes

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 6:15am On Nov 23, 2014
dmz:

A year with a sibling? That must have been a serious problem.

I can go months without speaking to my siblings but not because of a problem. The guys are not the calling type but the girls do keep in touch more often.

Yh, it was undecided but that's life.

That's gr8 smiley
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by nessaluv(f): 10:23am On Nov 27, 2014
My r/ship happens 2b a |ong distance r/ship and its ds ST dats killing it gradually, 2me, its really childish keeping malice wid sum1 dats not c|0se c0s d person may not even knw ure grieving abt sumtin he/she did, mst times d problem w| b sumtin very minor which if not settled dat moment will escalate c0s 1 person will b thinking 0f ways 2get bk @ d 0da....
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by BreezyRita(f): 3:52pm On Nov 27, 2014
I'm so guilty of this! Maybe I'm selfish but keeping silent has always been best for me. In order not to say annoying things I'll end up regretting...........

I know it doesn't help things but I just can't stop. I have this perfect convo in my head, but talking it out in real life?? Almost impossible!
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 27, 2014
BreezyRita:
I'm so guilty of this! Maybe I'm selfish but keeping silent has always been best for me. In order not to say annoying things I'll end up regretting...........

I know it doesn't help things but I just can't stop. I have this perfect convo in my head, but talking it out in real life?? Almost impossible!

You're selfish.
End of discussion. grin

1 Like

Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by BreezyRita(f): 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

You're selfish.
End of discussion. grin

Aunty Kachi, thanks for the help cheesy
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by MrBenSun: 9:21am On Nov 28, 2014
nnekamezor:
Truetalk. It's indeed essential too but shuldnt @ all be abused. I rem vividly, way bk wen my immediate elder bro got me cross. I gave him d silent treatment. Omo, he didnt find it funny . He tried all means to mk me talk /smile, cracked jokes in front of me which he knows on a normal day i wld hv been grinning . I jst boned him like say tomorrow no dey . Lol. Until he did d needful .... An apology. Then he returned to my gud book.

lols..you haven't met me yet
Re: OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 28, 2014
MrBenSun:

lols..you haven't met me yet
Yeah i hvnt... So hw do u reaction to it? Watz ur take on the silent treatment?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ladies Do You Remember This Doll? / Oluwaseun Bankole: Who Has Found This Missing Lady?! / Jobless Husband Beats Pregnant Wife Over Failure To Remit Monthly Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.