Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? (16591 Views)

Enugu Killings: How We Came Under Attack – Villagers / Onitsha Killings: How IGP Solomon Arase Wasted Blood Of Innocent Picketers To Sa / Ohaneze To Biafra Agitators: Stop This Madness - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Go Down)

Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by udezue(m): 12:43am On Dec 01, 2008
Josboy is pathetic.

A typical Middlebeltan. Confused and don't know what to do with their killers. They butcher u in ur land even after all the evil you helped them do. Cheiii I feel sorry for u guys. Atleast an Igbo man can proudly say that he has never assisted the Hausa man in the murder of other ethnic groups.

Accept the truth. Deal with ur enemies or better shut up and continue getting butchered in ur land. One day they will make it a must to speak Fulani or death.

U guys are more PATHETIC THAN THE HAUSAS AND FULANIS butchering u in ur own land. Atleast those SONS OF SATANS are not confused. They know what they want and are prepared to shove their requests down your throats. Quit being COWARDS. STOP HATING ON IGBOS AND BIAFRANS FOR STANDING TALL AGAINST EVIL. FIGHT EVIL SQUARELY BASED on principles.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by bawomolo(m): 12:45am On Dec 01, 2008
shouldn't the blame fall on the nigerian police who can't quell a riot?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by ikeyman00(m): 12:47am On Dec 01, 2008
hmmm are u a vampire
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RibaduFan(m): 12:47am On Dec 01, 2008
this is not a riot it is genocide
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by tpia: 12:52am On Dec 01, 2008
yemmyse:

genocide on whose part?

the 300 dead muslims who were brought to the mosque, or the Christians who were slaughtered?

i dont know about you, really- there are times when you sound educated and times when you absolutely dont.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Nobody: 12:53am On Dec 01, 2008
bawomolo:

shouldn't the blame fall on the nigerian police who can't quell a riot?

What are you talking about?
The police were able to quell the genocide exactly the time the jihadist were done with the massacre. Unfortunately, the people caught on the crossfire were people going to retaliate.

Besides, haven't you seen the stats on the shortage of police men in nigeria?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by bawomolo(m): 12:57am On Dec 01, 2008
yemmyse:

no it's not a genocide. stop being over dramatic.

nuzo:

What are you talking about?
The police were able to quell the genocide exactly the time the jihadist were done with the massacre. Unfortunately, the people caught on the crossfire were people going to retaliate.

Besides, haven't you seen the stats on the shortage of police men in nigeria?

good point, then the question is shouldn't it be time we modernize the Nigerian police. what happened in India and Nigeria was the fault of archaic colonial era police forces. it's about time the Nigerian police has a functioning anti-terrorism unit and riot squad. It shouldn't take the Nigerian army to intervene because of a disputed LG election!!!!!

we are ignoring the main issue which is why does everything go out of hand in nigeria.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by 4Play(m): 1:02am On Dec 01, 2008
bawomolo:

There is no universal consensus as to what constitutes genocide but to the extent that this conflict is an attempt to destroy a people on the basis of their ethnicity or religion, I think it qualifies as genocide.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Nobody: 1:07am On Dec 01, 2008
bawomolo:

good point, then the question is shouldn't it be time we modernize the Nigerian police.  what happened in India and Nigeria was the fault of archaic colonial era police forces.  it's about time the Nigerian police has a functioning anti-terrorism unit and riot squad.   It shouldn't take the Nigerian army to intervene because of a disputed LG election!!!!!

we are ignoring the main issue which is why does everything go out of hand in nigeria.  

As much as i agree with you that the police has a lot of rehabilitation to go through, i dont agree that they are the cause of this genocide, neither do i agree that a good police force is the solution.
The solution is simple: capital punishment for any blood thirsty jihadist will deter such re-occurring heartless act. A very strong reprisal attack could also do some magic. And of course, the best option being "to ya tent oh nigerians".
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by bawomolo(m): 1:17am On Dec 01, 2008
nuzo:

As much as i agree with you that the police has a lot of rehabilitation to go through, i don't agree that they are the cause of this genocide, neither do i agree that a good police force is the solution.
The solution is simple: capital punishment for any blood thirsty jihadist will deter such re-occurring heartless act. A very strong reprisal attack could also do some magic. And of course, the best option being "to ya tent oh nigerians".

the "to ya tent oh nigerians" option isn't that appealing considering intra-ethnic violence exists in nigeria too. that just seems like a cop out. the fact that it took 3 days for this riot/genocide to simmer down(who knows if it starts again) means the nigerian police can as well be replaced by the boy scouts ( hey they are always prepared). The nigerian police didn't cause the genocide but they always embarrass themselves in these kind of situations. Maybe it's time we brought some foreigners in to fix the mess called the Nigerian police. The issue of religious fundamentalism has to be addressed too.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Tapiya(m): 1:18am On Dec 01, 2008
nuzo:

As much as i agree with you that the police has a lot of rehabilitation to go through, i don't agree that they are the cause of this genocide, neither do i agree that a good police force is the solution.

I quite Agree with you, Lets face them and push them back to Kano and Kaduna and Sokoto that they came fromsince they cannot co exist with people, Let them go and Practice Sharia and do their thing there,

You know it was quite Pathetic those days that I was in jos, if you fall in love with a Hausa girl and you are a Christian then you intend to Marry her the only condition that you will be allowed to do so would be for you to Become a Muslim and some greedy guys were doing it cos it comes along with incentives as well, and then if you are a babe that a Hausa man Approaches then you will have to convert to Islam for you to be able to Marry him, what kind of Co existance is that? that they can give you food freely and you take them as friends you collect and eat but if you want them to eat your own then you have to let them kill the animal for you if not they will not eat the food.

So from their tendancies i have seen that they cannot co exist and if that be the case they should go back to their villages and live their own lives there.

Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Dec 01, 2008
bawomolo:

the "to ya tent oh nigerians" option isn't that appealing considering intra-ethnic violence exists in nigeria too. that just seems like a cop out. the fact that it took 3 days for this riot/genocide to simmer down(who knows if it starts again) means the nigerian police can as well be replaced by the boy scouts ( hey they are always prepared). The nigerian police didn't cause the genocide but they always embarrass themselves in these kind of situations. Maybe it's time we brought some foreigners in to fix the mess called the Nigerian police. The issue of religious fundamentalism has to be addressed too.

Well, our dear president, yar adua did promise, a while ago, to solicit help from the British police to help fix the Nigerian police force, but I guess, it may be quite a while before he gets around to acting on that promise. grin
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by H2O2: 1:22am On Dec 01, 2008
Our great Nigeria is founded on religious fundamentalism.

There is n o separation of church and state here braw
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 01, 2008
bawomolo:

the "to ya tent oh nigerians" option isn't that appealing considering intra-ethnic violence exists in nigeria too.  that just seems like a cop out.  the fact that it took 3 days for this riot/genocide to simmer down(who knows if it starts again) means the nigerian police can as well be replaced by the boy scouts ( hey they are always prepared). The nigerian police didn't cause the genocide but they always embarrass themselves in these kind of situations.  Maybe it's time we brought some foreigners in to fix the mess called the Nigerian police.  The issue of religious fundamentalism has to be addressed too.  

I guess our argument is done here.
With the emboldened you made it clear that the nigerian police was not the cause. As much as im rooting for a new and active police force, the cause of these genocides should come first because if its tackled; the police wont have much work to do.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Kobojunkie: 1:27am On Dec 01, 2008
nuzo:

I guess our argument is done here.
With the emboldened you made it clear that the nigerian police was not the cause. As much as I'm rooting for a new and active police force, the cause of these genocides should come first because if its tackled; the police wont have much work to do.

How do you expect to tackle it without the police though? What do you think is the cause?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by 4Play(m): 1:29am On Dec 01, 2008
Ultimately, I think Southerners are held back by Northerners, the sooner we split up the better. However, while we are together, we need to strenghten the security services and judicial system to maintain law and order.

A lot of these problems will dissipate in the long run with greater prosperity. Because of poverty, a lot of wealth is concentrated in political office which increases the incentive to "fight" for it. Also, a lot of the land disputes that you have between indigenes/settlers stem from deprivation.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Nobody: 1:41am On Dec 01, 2008
Kobojunkie:

How do you expect to tackle it without the police though? What do you think is the cause?

With or without efficient police, the the blood thirsty jihadist will always look for non-muslims to massacre so far none is punished.
Do not forget that the police despite all their inefficiencies have always arrested some of these miscreants, but check back at the police station; you will find out the state and fed govts have ordered their release in the name of 'forgive and forget'.
The recent barbarism in jos should be a test case for you; check back at the police station in 6 months time and find out if the ones arrested in this genocide have been charged. They would have either been released on the order of the govt/emir or the police would have their station razed down.

What can the efficient police do in this case?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Kweenisha: 1:41am On Dec 01, 2008
You people brought the war amongst yourselves. What the hell were u expecting? That Nigeria would let you annex your own country. It will never happen in Jesus name. Nigeria will never break apart.

We either learn to live with each other or continue this madness, but it will never dissolve.

oh josboy you still get mouth talk?
aren't you the one crying that they slaughtered people in your non hausa village ?
wait
by the time they finish beheading you people one by one,you'll feel my pain
e never start.
go and check if your fathers compound is still standing.
when the jihad starts and they run out of Igbos,Yorubas and other southerners to kill, them go begin massacre una small small tribes wey dey parade as Hausa to get a fat slice of the national moi moi
The biafran war was Biafrans fighting against the whole of Nigeria this your own is Hausas slaughtering Jos indigenes in their own land even asking for reinforcement from Kano and you still call yourself a northerner.
You'll come on bended knees asklng to be called a Southerner and we'll say NO.
let's bet grin
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by tpia: 1:49am On Dec 01, 2008
as the topic says: How to stop the madness of Nigerians and Africans always looking for excuses to kill each other.

True, death is the natural order of things and everyone has to die someday. But in the meantime it would be an innovation to find a solution to the everlasting crises eternally rocking Africa.

And first of all, the day black people learn to stop blaming third parties for their problems in life, is the day the black race will be emancipated from their shackles.

Until then, let the killing sprees continue if Africans have no other way of solving their problems.

In the meantime, many blacks do like the whites and withdraw to safety when others want to self-destruct.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by bawomolo(m): 2:37am On Dec 01, 2008
Our great Nigeria is founded on religious fundamentalism.

There is n o separation of church and state here braw

and there lies the problem.

However, while we are together, we need to strenghten the security services and judicial system to maintain law and order.

A lot of these problems will dissipate in the long run with greater prosperity. Because of poverty, a lot of wealth is concentrated in political office which increases the incentive to "fight" for it. Also, a lot of the land disputes that you have between indigenes/settlers stem from deprivation.

i agree with this.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by naijaking1: 3:16am On Dec 01, 2008
Tapiya:

I quite Agree with you, Lets face them and push them back to Kano and Kaduna and Sokoto that they came fromsince they cannot co exist with people, Let them go and Practice Sharia and do their thing there,

You know it was quite Pathetic those days that I was in jos, if you fall in love with a Hausa girl and you are a Christian then you intend to Marry her the only condition that you will be allowed to do so would be for you to Become a Muslim and some greedy guys were doing it because it comes along with incentives as well, and then if you are a babe that a Hausa man Approaches then you will have to convert to Islam for you to be able to Marry him, what kind of Co existance is that? that they can give you food freely and you take them as friends you collect and eat but if you want them to eat your own then you have to let them kill the animal for you if not they will not eat the food.

So from their tendancies i have seen that they cannot co exist and if that be the case they should go back to their villages and live their own lives there.

Now you're talking! Please educate your Josboy brother.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by ayinba1(f): 3:21am On Dec 01, 2008
Everyone is screaming
blood, blood, kill, kill,,

I fear for the future of Nigeria
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by toshmann(m): 4:07am On Dec 01, 2008
is there any other country in this world where this kind of thing is still happening?

i've said it before, i say it again, i'm sitting here in ohio, praying . . .and fasting . . . and hoping that we wont wake up one day to say . . . . . "why didnt OBJ 3rd term work".

nigeria is derailing badly. too, too badly. in this global recession we are destroying the little property we have.

if u ask me, i'll say the real problem here is
1. lack of law and order(our culture)
2. poverty (hard core excruciating poverty)
3. ignorance (with chronic unrepentant illiteracy)
4.nigerian factor(too deep for explanation)
5. lack of govt
6. (you guys can add more)
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Sammy107d(m): 4:40am On Dec 01, 2008
idiocy
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by naijaking1: 6:30am On Dec 01, 2008
toshmann:

is there any other country in this world where this kind of thing is still happening?

i've said it before, i say it again, i'm sitting here in ohio, praying . . .and fasting . . . and hoping that we wont wake up one day to say . . . . . "why didnt OBJ 3rd term work".

nigeria is derailing badly. too, too badly. in this global recession we are destroying the little property we have.

if u ask me, i'll say the real problem here is
1. lack of law and order(our culture)
2. poverty (hard core excruciating poverty)
3. ignorance (with chronic unrepentant illiteracy)
4.nigerian factor(too deep for explanation)
5. lack of govt
6. (you guys can add more)

I don't know any other country out there where you could rape/kill/loot your fellow country men under any guise, and you would not only escape punishment, but you would be rewarded with federal bounty. Just look at Nigeria's history.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by okunoba(m): 8:05am On Dec 01, 2008
We are to blame, everyone of us. We can`t even debate and reason without insult and abuse. The Jos incident is an excuse for us to voice our hatred and ethnic bigotry. We seem to be beyond reason, only ethnic hatred and prejudice. Nigeria in general is a very violent society, from Onitsha, Lagos to Kaduna violence is the order of the day. I went to my home town years ago and I could not believe the amount of destruction and killings that took place because of politics and this was by fellow Yoruba`s killing each other. People refer to the Biafran war without doing their research and even when they have, they come up with comments that are bias. The first killing that started the ethnic clashes was committed by Ibo officers against Hausa leaders and when an Ibo leader took over power, he did not execute the offenders of this horrible crime as directed by the law of the land. We are still suffering from the effects of that first coup and the bias way Ironsi dealt with it. I think we can all agree that if not for the coup and Ironsi`s inaction to it, Ibo`s would not have been killed in the North. The war should never have been, Ibo`s should never have been killed in the North and Northern leaders should not have been killed also. We need to move on. We should start the healing process, the pain is too deep, if our leaders will not start to heal the pain of Biafra we as individuals can start the healing process by doing everything we can to stop the ethnic killing that happens abit more often in the north and every other part of Nigeria. I don`t think it helps th situation when a some Ibo`s try and separate the struggle of your average Nigerian from their struggle. At the end of the day we all just want a better life as a people.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by kevd2: 9:50am On Dec 01, 2008
I am not impressed with the way some misguided Biafra apologists are trying to manipulate the Jos crisis for thier own selfish purposes.The people killed in jos are mainly of Plateau descent and not ibo's.it just shows that the some ibo's are still harbouring mischievous intentions and forget that they are not the only one's in the world that have lost a civil war. Fact is both Igbo's and Hausa' ethinic group and even the Yoruba's to a lesser degree have Imperialistic tendencies. The last 5 yrs i have spent in the N/delta,most N-deltans simply do not trust the ibo's and believe that they have hegemonic intentions towards them if Biafra has succeeded, which is similar to the On's the Hausa's have to the Midlle Belt.
As for the Hausa's they are getting what they deserve for their Jihadist's and violent Mentality.Thier refusal to embrace Education and thier romance with violence and backwardness will always leave them as the poorest Ethnic group no matter how they control Abuja, only a handfull of the Hausa's are wealthy compared to thier southern counterparts so in a real sense the South has more Economic power than them so they should stop deluding themselves.
The yoruba's are the double dealing bunch in this entity called Nigeria.I always laugh when people like Deepzone(shallow zone) spew senseless tribalist rant against the North when it is the Yourba's that have always connived with the North to keep this Country together.
The Middle-Belt needs to wake up and start developing themselves independently and stop accepting Mediocrity,The jos is a typical example of the what happens when you fall asleep.
The Niger-Deltans should stop whining about resources and start investing intheir future rather than using Marginalization as an excuse for Profilgacy.I pity this Country when that Oil runs Out.
Fact is all Ethnic groups in Nigeria have thier flawed Ethos, and are equal contibutors to the Failure that is Nigeria. Until we can divorce ourslves from cheap tribalism and recognize like the Europeans how to harmonize our differences we will remain as the failures whether we divide or not.Nigeria is just a mirror of our individual failures and shows that we are still a backward Race.You are all Africans,
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by princekevo(m): 10:09am On Dec 01, 2008
okunoba:

We are to blame, everyone of us. We can`t even debate and reason without insult and abuse. The Jos incident is an excuse for us to voice our hatred and ethnic bigotry. We seem to be beyond reason, only ethnic hatred and prejudice. Nigeria in general is a very violent society, from Onitsha, Lagos to Kaduna violence is the order of the day. I went to my home town years ago and I could not believe the amount of destruction and killings that took place because of politics and this was by fellow Yoruba`s killing each other. People refer to the Biafran war without doing their research and even when they have, they come up with comments that are bias. The first killing that started the ethnic clashes was committed by Ibo officers against Hausa leaders and when an Ibo leader took over power, he did not execute the offenders of this horrible crime as directed by the law of the land. We are still suffering from the effects of that first coup and the bias way Ironsi dealt with it. I think we can all agree that if not for the coup and Ironsi`s inaction to it, Ibo`s would not have been killed in the North. The war should never have been, Ibo`s should never have been killed in the North and Northern leaders should not have been killed also. We need to move on. We should start the healing process, the pain is too deep, if our leaders will not start to heal the pain of Biafra we as individuals can start the healing process by doing everything we can to stop the ethnic killing that happens abit more often in the north and every other part of Nigeria. I don`t think it helps th situation when a some Ibo`s try and separate the struggle of your average Nigerian from their struggle. At the end of the day we all just want a better life as a people.

Please where are you capitalising you history on? If understand  your comment well you are trying to say that a political crises happening in jos is as result of the historical coup that happened in the 60s.Or trying to attribute it to the civil war.LOL!!!I think becoz of ethnicity and hatred we have lost our sense of judgement as humans.There has been a political crises here and there in every region but non did escalate to ethnic or religious crises, neither has any of the of it lead to killing of about 400 innocent civilians,burning of churches and mosque.
Instead of us to stand up and criticized this inhuman act and bring them to justics.We are trying to justify them by attributing the act to history.My brother Let's learn how to call a sped a sped irrespective of the ethnics involved ,if actually we want Nigeria as a Nation.
 Every country on this face of the earth have their own history of unjust coups,Civil wars,and even revolutions.But after all that they put everything aside and decided to move thier country foward.Only in the case of Nigeria, that is different.Is 38 years not enough for a country to put the history aside and forge ahead together.If they cant work together after all these years then let there be a separation,probably that would be a way foward.From ur comment i will say if the history and the past will countinue to hunt us as a nation,causing crises here and there, killing innocent people, then i think we have to go back to the drawing board, from Amalgamation of Nigeria maybe that is where the problem lies.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by azorjiu(m): 10:18am On Dec 01, 2008
News like this make my heart bleed.
Why can't we annihilate these vampires?

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=71426
‘My son’s killing in Jos is Satanic’    30/11/2008

Three young men on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme in Jos were on Friday morning killed in the rampage that broke out over the council polls. They were among the hundreds killed in the crises. Joke Kujenya spoke with family members of one of the victims, Ibukun Akinjogbin

The gloom that pervaded the Lagos State Low Cost Housing Estate, Meiran, Ojokoro, Lagos, residence of Mr. and Mrs. Akintola Tokunbo Akinjogbin, yesterday can be felt with touch. The woman, emotionally broken, laid on the bed while female members of her family and friends sat around to share in her grief. Her eyes bore the image of a woman that is wearied from shedding excessively painful tears.
The second son of the family, young Mr. Ibukun Oluwatosin Akinjogbin, 23, was one of the fifty people whose lives were brought to a cruel end by the rampaging voters in Jos on Friday morning. He was killed along with his nephew, Mr. Leke Akande, 23, and a friend, Mr. Tola Odusola, 20, all youth corps members, in the home of Ibukun’s uncle, Mr. Bisi Akinjogbin, an Abuja-based businessman. The hatchet men, who broke down the high gates and stormed the residence along Katako Junction by 7Up depot in Jos about 9.15am on Friday morning; caught down the three young men in the presence of Mrs. Doyin Akinjogbin, the uncle’s wife while her daughters also watched in horror.

Mrs. Doyin Akinjogbin is already placed under sedation as a result of the shock she suffered from witnessing the killings of the young men in her home.

The three men were among the scores of youths doing their one year mandatory youth service scheme in Pankshin, Jos central, in Plateau State, till they were killed.

Riot had broken out in Jos on Thursday, due to attempted manipulations with the results of the local government polls. The election was said to have been widely won by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), candidate.

Mr. Akintola Akinjogbin, who seemed to be taking the incidence with calmness, said the killing of his son is "barbaric, satanic and uncalled for."

One of the three youth corps members, Ibukun Oluwatosin Akinjogbin, a 2001 to 2003 Quantity Surveyor student from the Obafemi Awolowo (OAU), Ife, was said to have been in contact with his family on phone up till the last minute that life was ebbed out of him.

According to the father while narrating the gory ordeal, Ibukun was about coming to Lagos when the incident caught up with him without prior warning. He said prior to that day, the late young Akinjogbin had finalised plans to visit Lagos after a while.

He said: "My son had reported for the NYSC on August 26, 2008. We were in constant touch with him because mine is a very closely knit family. He would have actually returned to Lagos on Thursday but could not because it was rather late. So, I called him around 6. 20a.m on Friday morning and he said he was on his way to the park. Then later, he called that he was going back to his uncle’s home because the riot going on in Jos was quite heated. I said it was a good decision. So, he ran back into the house and we remained in touch.

"From that time, there were several calls and it was as if he was giving us situational reports. Then, his elder brother, Kayode Akinjogbin, an Investment Analyst with Lead Capital in Lagos, took over from me and kept monitoring his brother."

Speaking, Kayode said Ibukun started asking for prayers. "Please start praying for us’’; he had begged. "They are moving towards our side of the town. In fact, they seem to be getting close to our gate. Please pray Bro. Kayode. They are outside our house now. I don’t know why they came to us but they are here," Ibukun was reported to have said.

"Now, our gates are down," were the last direct words the young man could say to me, said Kayode. "Then I started hearing him beg them. Later there seemed to be some struggles but my younger brother was still pleading. Then, I heard cries and I was afraid while at the same time shouting his name. I heard the voices of women screaming and praying to God for help. For some time, everything seemed to get silent but by this time, I was almost running crazy when my colleagues in the office grabbed my phone from me to calm me down.

"A few minutes later, after I had regained my composure, I picked my phone to call my younger brother. But it was a Hausa man that replied me. And he said in Hausa tone and seemed to be mocking at the same time: ‘Ya broad, I'm dey die, I'm det die…hHa ha, now, I'm don die’. And at that point, the phone went dead. And that was when I blacked out too," Kayode said.

Akinjogbin senior said his son had come to the Uncle’s house because of the visit to Lagos. "The uncle is like their father over there. They all go to his house whenever there is need. Ibukun served as a Works Officer with the Pankshin Local Government council because he was a Quantity Surveyor. But what can I do now than to throw my hands up to God and accept my fate?

"My concern however is why the Nigerian government should subject our children to death on annual basis? Every year, Youth Corpers die in their numbers. The government should please scrap this programme. Parents would have laboured to educate their children and in the process of doing the youth service, those children will die. This is very unfair," Akinjogbin said.

"Ibukun was a core gentleman. He was very quiet and easy-going. Everyone that ever dealt with him knew that. And how can a people kill such a young man? Nigeria is one country and we should all learn to accommodate one another regardless of religious differences. As a matter of fact, how does a political riot change to religious fight? This is why government must tame these people up North. They can’t just be killing innocent people and go scot-free all the time. If they have been dealt with in time past, they wouldn’t have done it again. For me, the NYSC stuff is a bad taste that has left a traumatic mark in my family. I just pray God to grant my wife the grace to bear the incident with calm equanimity.

Kayode also described late Ibukun as a promising, enterprising and diligent and gentle young man that everybody said something good about in his life time. "Rather than brawl, Ibukun will usually hold his peace over any issue. Sadly now, he has been caught off in his prime with his hopes and aspirations all gone with him."

In another instance, a young youth corps member, Mr. Gesham Jagboro, 26, a graduate of Geology from the Federal University of Technology, Akura (FUTA), was reported dead in an automobile accident in Lokoja, while returning from Jos where they had gone to attend a Christian conference, last weekend. According to family members, young Jagboro was among the few corps members chosen by his team of corps members to represent them at the programme.

Mr. Akinjogbin said the charred remains of his son’s body would be brought to Lagos on Monday so that he can be given due burial.

Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RedHotChic(f): 10:19am On Dec 01, 2008
The yoruba's are the double dealing bunch in this entity called Nigeria.I always laugh when people like Deepzone(shallow zone) spew senseless tribalist rant against the North when it is the Yourba's that have always connived with the North to keep this Country together.
Please stop tying the yoruba with the north. They hatched their devilish plans by themselves and executed it. If yorubas connived with the North to unleash terror on Nigerians, why are the northerners killing them too in their various riots?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by zawangi: 10:27am On Dec 01, 2008
I respect the right for every one to have his view, but fellow nigerians when we start seeing each other as visitors and residents we will not move this country foward. at present am not in nigeria, but it hurts me to see such hate ideology being propagated. Obama's Grandparents are kenyans his mother from kansas he stayed in hawaii with his maternal grandparents, yet he is a senator from illinois, common nigerians,
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RedHotChic(f): 10:33am On Dec 01, 2008
I respect the right for every one to have his view, but fellow nigerians when we start seeing each other as visitors and residents we will not move this country foward. at present am not in nigeria, but it hurts me to see such hate ideology being propagated. Obama's Grandparents are kenyans his mother from kansas he stayed in hawaii with his maternal grandparents, yet he is a senator from illinois, common nigerians,

What has Obama got to do with this?. Have you heard of this kind of killings in Kenya before?. So our own case in Nigeria is a different and difficult one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14)

What Is The Need Of Minister When We Have Permanent Secretaries / Gunmen Attack: Resort To Violence Cannot Save You- PDP Tells Yahaya Bello / Abuja Court Reinstates Pondei-led NDDC Interim Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.