Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? (16589 Views)

Enugu Killings: How We Came Under Attack – Villagers / Onitsha Killings: How IGP Solomon Arase Wasted Blood Of Innocent Picketers To Sa / Ohaneze To Biafra Agitators: Stop This Madness - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Go Down)

Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by otokx(m): 8:56pm On Nov 29, 2008
this whole thing is not making any sense, the level of destruction is way too high.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by ikeyman00(m): 10:18pm On Nov 29, 2008
but the mumu northern vampires are ripppin it right?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by udezue(m): 12:04am On Nov 30, 2008
Grow some balls and wipe em out ur lands.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:22am On Nov 30, 2008
Over 300 confirmed deaths, mostly muslims this time. (so you know the number is much higher)
When will the bleeding stop?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7756695.stm
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:32am On Nov 30, 2008
This is what happens when you have a thieving electorial process such as that run by INEC.
There is no way that Jos North should be won by Buba Gyang. Jos North Local Government is majority Muslim!
Jonah Jang is a more fanatical Christian than was Dariye. We are cooked in Plateau, if we can not have fair elections at the LG level

I used to think this was a religious/ethnic crisis, but I am starting to see the battle of resource undertone.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by naijaking1: 8:01am On Nov 30, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

This is what happens when you have a thieving electorial process such as that run by INEC.
There is no way that Jos North should be won by Buba Gyang. Jos North Local Government is majority Muslim!
Jonah Jang is a more fanatical Christian than was Dariye. We are cooked in Plateau, if we can not have fair elections at the LG level

I used to think this was a religious/ethnic crisis, but I am starting to see the battle of resource undertone.

Evil begets evil. No matter how you look at it, the evils northern Nigerians committed against the easterner in 1966 come back every now and then to visit them.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:10am On Nov 30, 2008
naijaking1:

Evil begets evil. No matter how you look at it, the evils northern Nigerians committed against the easterner in 1966 come back every now and then to visit them.

why is that everything has to circumvent back to the Biafra War? That is what happens when you want to break up a nation, u get civil war.
You do realize that the Nigerian Army at the time consisted of more than Northern Nigerians The pidgin Hausa, which is the lingua franca of the nigeiran armed forces, should not have you believe it was only Hausa
The riots in Jos are absolutely ludacris and uncalled for.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RedHotChic(f): 8:28am On Nov 30, 2008
Anytime the north release a toxic fart, you won't see the likes of sisijinx or McUsman, they will go underground immediately and reappear after everything cools down to yarn opata about how lovely they are. She'll rather talk about UK immigration and beg God to help us rather than what her kinsmen are doing to southerners. If God must be begged, why not beg Him to change the evil nature of your people?. Charity begins at home. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:19am On Nov 30, 2008
RedHotChic:

Anytime the north release a toxic fart, you won't see the likes of sisijinx or McUsman, they will go underground immediately and reappear after everything cools down to yarn opata about how lovely they are. She'll rather talk about UK immigration and beg God to help us rather than what her kinsmen are doing to southerners. If God must be begged, why not beg Him to change the evil nature of your people?. Charity begins at home. undecided undecided undecided undecided

I am going to reiterate this one more time, THE CURRENT JOS RIOTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SOUTHERNERS! JEEZE!!
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by princekevo(m): 10:00am On Nov 30, 2008
@ the poster,
The story of the Killings in Jos town is just re-writing itself again, they are out there again and have start another set of Riots, Yeah I support a one Nigeria but what happens when someone comes to your house then brings in his brothers and discovers hes got a larger family then from there he wants to take over your house what will you do? Allow him take over or what? is that how its done? when a Visitor wants to rule you because you were friendly with him and the next thing he wants to claim your property. We have to do something about that and in my own opinion our Visitors are taking us so much for Granted I don't advocate Violence but the Government should stand up to it and spell out things clearly.
We are for Peace but be carefull not to push the goat to the wall, he could develop teeth.[/color][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]

This guy must be one the touts on the street of killing innocent citizen in the name they are visitors as he stated it. This is some one who claim to support on Nigeria.Please Tapiya can you give us an explicit definition of the word one Nigeria. This has been an attitude of an average Nigerians even to the top  politician in the country. We Preach and confess the gospel of one Nigeria while in our heart of heart all we carries along and proffess is a divided Nigeria.For this reason Nigeria has remained stagnant, no moving forward at worst backward. Even bible said it that 2 can never work together except they agree (from their heart).
    Am one of great supporter of one Nigeria but what happens in that country makes me to rethink my stand towards that. i can't imagine were a citizen of the so called one Nigeria being brutalised by some touts, jst because they are in some other part of the same country insearch green pasture.The worst part of it is that even the so called leaders has done absolutely nothing to stop this barbaric acts.
The gravity of ethnic discriminations we have in the so called one Nigeria seems to be greater than the racial discrimination we face outside Nigeria. If Nigeria can't stand or move forward as a nation then i think the leaders of different ethnics should come together in agreement for separation. Let us stop deceiving ourselves.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Kobojunkie: 12:47pm On Nov 30, 2008
[size=13pt]
We Preach and confess the gospel of one Nigeria while in heart of heart all carries along and proffess is a divided Nigeria
[/size]

This holds true for all the "WE ARE THE ONLY TRUE NIGERIANS" army here on Nairaland. All of whom are deeply tribalistic, preaching patrotism as "True Nigerians" but their every conservation is filled with wickedly tribalistic ideas of a "Divided Nigeria". grin
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by pabanton: 12:48pm On Nov 30, 2008
Do you guyz know that the killings and burnings even started before the election results where released? What does a monastry at the katako area have to do with politics that it was ransaked? what do churches have to do with politics that they where burnt? If they wanted to protest an election how come political offices where not burnt

Sorry to say but its the bull-shit that the imams preach at mosques that cause such nonsense. Why is it that it is places where there are lots of muslims thats hard hit. Areas that have a higher christian population but have muslims among them are still living in peace even though there is tension.

Does islam really encourage killing in order to vent out your grieviance?

How come there are substantial reports that well to do muslims/alhaji's have imported weapons (ak47's and sub machine guns) and armed their kroonies How come there are substantial reports that mercenaries are being imported from neighbouring bauchi to fight
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by asha80(m): 12:56pm On Nov 30, 2008
Tension in Anambra and Abia
There was palpable tension in the commercial city of Onitsha , Anambra State on Saturday as news filtered in about the mayhem in Jos, Plateau State, where dozens of people were killed and property destroyed and looted on Friday.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
File

Peter Obi

Thousands of Hausa and people from northern ethnic nationalities were leaving the state in droves, while some others took refuge at the military barracks in the city to avoid reprisal attacks.

The Governor of Abia State, Chief Theodore Orji, who was in Awka on Saturday to attend the Ohaneze election, quickly left the venue to rush back home. “There is tension in Aba and Umuahia now. We are not happy about what happened in Jos. It was strictly an election matter and nobody should make it look like an ethnic crisis.

“We are concerned and we hope it will not escalate. Right now, members of the northern community are running to us for protection. We have to do something about it,” he said.

In Awka, the Anambra State capital, some indigenes who said their people in Jos lost property and relations were appealing to the government to intervene to save them from further losses. One of the worried people, Mr. Tochukwu Ugodi, told Sunday Punch that his mother had lost everything she had in Jos as the rioters completely burnt down her shop.

“I am not myself as I speak to you now,” he said, trying to see how he could reach out to his family members in Jos.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008113054446
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by SkyBlue1: 12:59pm On Nov 30, 2008
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt][/size]

This holds true for all the "WE ARE THE ONLY TRUE NIGERIANS" army here on Nairaland. All of whom are deeply tribalistic, preaching patrotism as "True Nigerians" but their every conservation is filled with wickedly tribalistic ideas of a "Divided Nigeria". grin

Stop being "unpatriotic", do you want to be sanctioned by the nairaland 'ministry of patrotism' who will not fail to send their officers to your location to give you a traditional Nigerian flogging? smiley
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by naijaking1: 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I am going to reiterate this one more time, THE CURRENT JOS RIOTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SOUTHERNERS! JEEZE!!

Here you go again. The first time Nigerians turned on fellow Nigerians because of tribe/religion was 1966, how were the culprits punished? Elevation to higher plum offices, and rewards by big federal government jobs.
How can you honesty come here to complain when everyone knows the precedent to these yearly religious/tribal riots in northern Nigeria was the one perpetrated against the Igbos and their eastern cousins in 1966.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Abagworo(m): 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2008
My suggestion is for the immediate removal of the governor and replacement with a disciplined general.furthermore the elections should be annuled without delay.the governor was unwise to have allowed the announcement of the result admist rioting.its an unbelievable mistake!shame on us all.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by naijaking1: 3:16pm On Nov 30, 2008
Abagworo:

My suggestion is for the immediate removal of the governor and replacement with a disciplined general.furthermore the elections should be annuled without delay.the governor was unwise to have allowed the announcement of the result admist rioting.its an unbelievable mistake!shame on us all.

Why blame the governor? Why not blame the president, IG of police, and the army chief? Think about the 40-year old learned culture of Nigerians looting/killing/raping each others in the name of religious or ethnic provocation.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Danmasani(m): 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2008
I grew up for 19years of my life in Jos. I can tell you that the riots in Jos was inflamed by politics and has spread to reliigious/ethnic lines. I support Josboy4life assertion. PDP is the root of all this. How can you say that PDP won all 17LGA elections including Jos North which is predominantly Muslim and constantly votes ANPP.

Rumors have been flying around left. right and center further exacerbating the crisis, just like the last one in 2001. I have gotten varying information from family and friends that you dont even know what to believe anymore. The authorities are not even helping matters, both the Christian Association of Nigeria, the Catholic Archbishop of Jos and Muslim clerics have released statements urging caution and at the same time pointing fingers. Even Plateau INEC officials have not helped matters declaring all the polls free and fair.

I think we need to be careful at times like this, my home which is currently 50:50 muslims and xtians is unsteady at the moment. We all grew up together all these years, it will be very unforgivable if we were to kill each other due to some political process.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Jakumo(m): 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2008
It is interesting to note that while several-fold more blacks are dead in Jos as there were Indian and Western casualties in the recent Mumbai 3-day long terror attacks, the worlds media has shown scant interest in reporting the 3-week old Rwanda/ Burundi-style bloodbath STILL raging in Jos, Nigeria, one of the country's prime destinations for western tourists, choosing instead to report ad-nauseoum on the crushed Indian siege, tragic though that may be.

Africa. You on yo' own man. Phuck y'self up good, and see if we care.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by romeo(m): 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2008
Jakumo:

It is interesting to note that while several-fold more blacks are dead in Jos as there were Indian and Western casualties in the recent Mumbai 3-day long terror attacks, the worlds media has shown scant interest in reporting the 3-week old Rwanda/ Burundi-style bloodbath STILL raging in Jos, Nigeria, one of the country's prime destinations for western tourists, choosing instead to report ad-nauseoum on the crushed Indian siege, tragic though that may be.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by tpia: 3:42pm On Nov 30, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

thank you.

Nigerians and their grandiose delusions. undecided

they always think they're the center of everything.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by tpia: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2008
Jakumo:

well, if you blacks keep repeating history over and over again like someone stuck in a time warp, then the rest of the world is limited in what they can do. They also have their own problems which they're trying to solve.

heaven helps those who help themselves.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Kobojunkie: 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2008
Jakumo:

You know, I was going to comment on this to try to bring the attention of all those who blame the WESTERN media for the bad image africa gets in the world today. Mumbai is still headline news but Jos is no where in the news here. Even on the day the riots broke out, Reuters, for a while, remained the only news outlet, carrying details of the happenings. Shame!
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RedHotChic(f): 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2008

Why are they killing southerners then if it has nothing to do with them?. It beats me too. Must the southerner[especially ibo/efik/ibibio] bear the grunt of their shortfalls?
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Kobojunkie: 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2008
Sky Blue:

Stop being "unpatriotic", do you want to be sanctioned by the nairaland 'ministry of patrotism' who will not fail to send their officers to your location to give you a traditional Nigerian flogging? smiley

roflmao!!!
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RedHotChic(f): 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2008
Danmasani:

I grew up for 19years of my life in Jos. I can tell you that the riots in Jos was inflamed by politics and has spread to reliigious/ethnic lines. I support Josboy4life assertion. PDP is the root of all this. How can you say that PDP won all 17LGA elections including Jos North which is predominantly Muslim and constantly votes ANPP.

Rumors have been flying around left. right and center further exacerbating the crisis, just like the last one in 2001. I have gotten varying information from family and friends that you don't even know what to believe anymore. The authorities are not even helping matters, both the Christian Association of Nigeria, the Catholic Archbishop of Jos and Muslim clerics have released statements urging caution and at the same time pointing fingers. Even Plateau INEC officials have not helped matters declaring all the polls free and fair.

I think we need to be careful at times like this, my home which is currently 50:50 muslims and xtians is unsteady at the moment. We all grew up together all these years, it will be very unforgivable if we were to kill each other due to some political process.

They had political riots in places like Edo,Oyo and Anambra sometime ago. Oshiomole's case quickly comes to mind but did you hear any indigene or the rioters burning and killing people alive?. They had their thing, was subdued by the incumbent gov yet they prevailed without killing anybody.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by pabanton: 6:30pm On Nov 30, 2008
About the elections being free and fair, this problem start long after elections had closed. The election day was fairly peaceful until the peace was broken at night and early friday morning.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by RedHotChic(f): 6:58pm On Nov 30, 2008
The gloom that pervaded the Lagos State Low Cost Housing Estate, Meiran, Ojokoro, Lagos, residence of Mr. and Mrs. Akintola Tokunbo Akinjogbin, yesterday can be felt with touch. The woman, emotionally broken, laid on the bed while female members of her family and friends sat around to share in her grief. Her eyes bore the image of a woman that is wearied from shedding excessively painful tears.

The second son of the family, young Mr. Ibukun Oluwatosin Akinjogbin, 23, was one of the fifty people whose lives were brought to a cruel end by the rampaging voters in Jos on Friday morning. He was killed along with his nephew, Mr. Leke Akande, 23, and a friend, Mr. Tola Odusola, 20, all youth corps members, in the home of Ibukun’s uncle, Mr. Bisi Akinjogbin, an Abuja-based businessman. The hatchet men, who broke down the high gates and stormed the residence along Katako Junction by 7Up depot in Jos about 9.15am on Friday morning; caught down the three young men in the presence of Mrs. Doyin Akinjogbin, the uncle’s wife while her daughters also watched in horror.

Mrs. Doyin Akinjogbin is already placed under sedation as a result of the shock she suffered from witnessing the killings of the young men in her home.

The three men were among the scores of youths doing their one year mandatory youth service scheme in Pankshin, Jos central, in Plateau State, till they were killed.

Riot had broken out in Jos on Thursday, due to attempted manipulations with the results of the local government polls. The election was said to have been widely won by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), candidate.

Mr. Akintola Akinjogbin, who seemed to be taking the incidence with calmness, said the killing of his son is "barbaric, satanic and uncalled for."

One of the three youth corps members, Ibukun Oluwatosin Akinjogbin, a 2001 to 2003 Quantity Surveyor student from the Obafemi Awolowo (OAU), Ife, was said to have been in contact with his family on phone up till the last minute that life was ebbed out of him.

According to the father while narrating the gory ordeal, Ibukun was about coming to Lagos when the incident caught up with him without prior warning. He said prior to that day, the late young Akinjogbin had finalised plans to visit Lagos after a while.

He said: "My son had reported for the NYSC on August 26, 2008. We were in constant touch with him because mine is a very closely knit family. He would have actually returned to Lagos on Thursday but could not because it was rather late. So, I called him around 6. 20a.m on Friday morning and he said he was on his way to the park. Then later, he called that he was going back to his uncle’s home because the riot going on in Jos was quite heated. I said it was a good decision. So, he ran back into the house and we remained in touch.

"From that time, there were several calls and it was as if he was giving us situational reports. Then, his elder brother, Kayode Akinjogbin, an Investment Analyst with Lead Capital in Lagos, took over from me and kept monitoring his brother."

Speaking, Kayode said Ibukun started asking for prayers. "Please start praying for us’’; he had begged. "They are moving towards our side of the town. In fact, they seem to be getting close to our gate. Please pray Bro. Kayode. They are outside our house now. I don’t know why they came to us but they are here," Ibukun was reported to have said.

"Now, our gates are down," were the last direct words the young man could say to me, said Kayode. "Then I started hearing him beg them. Later there seemed to be some struggles but my younger brother was still pleading. Then, I heard cries and I was afraid while at the same time shouting his name. I heard the voices of women screaming and praying to God for help. For some time, everything seemed to get silent but by this time, I was almost running crazy when my colleagues in the office grabbed my phone from me to calm me down.

"A few minutes later, after I had regained my composure, I picked my phone to call my younger brother. But it was a Hausa man that replied me. And he said in Hausa tone and seemed to be mocking at the same time: ‘Ya broad, I'm dey die, I'm det die…hHa ha, now, I'm don die’. And at that point, the phone went dead. And that was when I blacked out too," Kayode said.

Akinjogbin senior said his son had come to the Uncle’s house because of the visit to Lagos. "The uncle is like their father over there. They all go to his house whenever there is need. Ibukun served as a Works Officer with the Pankshin Local Government council because he was a Quantity Surveyor. But what can I do now than to throw my hands up to God and accept my fate?

"My concern however is why the Nigerian government should subject our children to death on annual basis? Every year, Youth Corpers die in their numbers. The government should please scrap this programme. Parents would have laboured to educate their children and in the process of doing the youth service, those children will die. This is very unfair," Akinjogbin said.

"Ibukun was a core gentleman. He was very quiet and easy-going. Everyone that ever dealt with him knew that. And how can a people kill such a young man? Nigeria is one country and we should all learn to accommodate one another regardless of religious differences. As a matter of fact, how does a political riot change to religious fight? This is why government must tame these people up North. They can’t just be killing innocent people and go scot-free all the time. If they have been dealt with in time past, they wouldn’t have done it again. For me, the NYSC stuff is a bad taste that has left a traumatic mark in my family. I just pray God to grant my wife the grace to bear the incident with calm equanimity.

http://thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=71426

And some silly goat and his foolish supporter will still maintain it has nothing to do with southerners. Why kill southerners then when it has nothing to do with them? . Phocking maniacs!
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 30, 2008
This holds true for all the "WE ARE THE ONLY TRUE NIGERIANS" army here on Nairaland. All of whom are deeply tribalistic, preaching patrotism as "True Nigerians" but their every conservation is filled with wickedly tribalistic ideas of a "Divided Nigeria".

The grand commander of the "WE ARE THE ONLY TRUE NIGERIANS" army tpia is already around the corner. tongue
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by naijaking1: 10:51pm On Nov 30, 2008
RedHotChic:

And some silly goat and his foolish supporter will still maintain it has nothing to do with southerners. Why kill southerners then when it has nothing to do with them? . Phocking maniacs!

That's my point. Nobody really wants to face the problem head-on.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:52pm On Nov 30, 2008
RedHotChic:

Someone from my tribe died you idiot. Most of the casualties were indigines of Plateau. They were killing all other tribes indiscriminately.
don't spread hate false propaganda, its really irritating.
Re: Jos Killings How Do We Stop This Madness? by adconline(m): 11:01pm On Nov 30, 2008
Death Toll in Jos Riot Rises to 350
•Armed men arrested
From Chuks Okocha in Abuja, Ruben Buhari in Kaduna and Seriki Adinoyi in Jos, 11.30.2008

The Plateau State Gover-nment has ordered security operatives comprising men of the Nigerian Army, Air Force, and Mobile Police to ‘shoot on sight’ anybody fomenting crisis or defying the curfew order imposed on the state capital, Jos. The order was the government’s latest response to end the riot in Jos, which death toll, as at yesterday evening, had risen to 350.
Giving the order yesterday morning following fresh killings that started at the Tinna Junction and Mando areas of the city, the state Governor, Da Jonah Jang, said the state government would not sit back and watch thugs wreck more havoc on innocent citizens.
THISDAY also gathered that security operatives yesterday intercepted about 500 men armed with weapons on their way to Jos. THISDAY could not however independently verify the figure.
The arrest was a sign that the warring groups are regrouping.
Jang also said his action was informed by his on-the-spot assessment of the situation, particularly in the affected areas.
He lamented that having gone round the city to ascertain the extent of damage, the loss of lives and property and the gory sights of destruction that trailed the city, he had no alternative than to give the order. The Governor however, appealed for calm saying “government is on top of the situation”.
Addressing journalists at the Press Centre in Jos, officials of the Nigerian Red Cross Society said the society had deposited 150 corpses of victims of the riot at the Central Mosque.
However, unconfirmed reports say the death toll had risen beyond the figure given by the Society.
Agence France Press (AFP) reports that 381 bodies were yesterday placed in a mosque in Jos.
The Associated Press (AP) also reported that bodies with fresh wounds arrived at the city's main mosque for quick burial in keeping with Islamic precepts.
Many christians have also lost their lives as what started as post-election violence takes a religious colouration.
Citizens who had fled their homes are taking refuge in National Drug Law Enforc-ement Agency (NDLEA) command, Recos, NDLEA Regional Academy Central Mosque, Macalashi Jumat, ECWA Church, Apata, University of Jos Senior Staff Quarters, and Rukuba Army Barracks.
The Director of Press to the Governor, James Mannok said over 500 rioters have been arrested with weapons and stolen items. He said they are being quizzed by the Police. He said more security personnel have been deployed from neighbouring states, including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to bring the situation under control.
THISDAY also gathered after going round the city yesterday that the level of damage to lives and properties is enormous. Thousands of new cars at various car-stands, and many houses along Zaria road were razed. Churches and Mosques were also torched in Chobe Junction. Also, corpses were being evacuated from the streets by members of the Red-cross, and the Police. A few corpses still litter the streets in Katako area of the city.
Residents living in hot spots like Bauchi road, Ali Kazaure, Recos, Angwa rogo and Gengere were ordered by the state government to remain indoors 24 hrs, while those in other parts of Jos and Bukuru are to comply with the dusk to dawn curfew.
The fresh outbreak of crisis followed the declaration of election results which gave victory to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the entire 17 local government areas.
Reacting to the crisis, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in a press briefing denied the report that it was its group that started the attack.
The state’s CAN chairman, Most Rev. Ignatius Kaigama said “We were taken aback by the turn of events in Jos. We thought it was political, but from all indications it is not so. We were surprised at the way some of our churches and property were attacked and some of our faithful and Clergy killed. The attacks were carefully planned and executed. The questions that bog our minds are why were churches and Clergy attacked and killed? Why were politicians and political party offices not attacked if it were a political conflict? Why were the business premises and property of innocent civilians destroyed? We strongly feel that it was not political, but pre-meditated act under the guise of elections”.
Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) als appealled for restraint to all inohabitants of Jos, the Plateau state capital, over the recent crisis that engulfed parts of the city.
Making the appeal in Kaduna, CAN’s National General Secretary, Engr. Samuel Salifu who spoke to reporters said the association is deeply worried over the local government crisis which he said has been turned into a religious crisis by certain groups and individuals.
Salifu said: “CAN is sick and tired of these type of repetitive crises that keep happening in Jos, Bauchi, Kano, Maiduguri, Zangon Kataf, Kaduna and host of other places in Nigeria with attendant loss of lives and properties. We are calling on all the people of the state to be calm and also calling on the state government to promptly put a stop to the killings and burning and find a way of addressing future issues before they degenerate into killings.”
He also accused government and politicians of always being responsible for most crises in the country by saying that when certain state governments and politicians fail to have their way or want to get cheap popularity, they resort to playing the religious card which most often results into crises.
Also reacting to the fresh crises, some citizens blamed the government, and Plateau Independent Electoral Commi-ssion (PLASIEC) for announcing the results of the election at the height of the crisis. They noted that the commission should have allowed the situation to calm down a little.
Also, a non-governmental organisation, Human Right Writers Association (HURIWA), yesterday blamed the Jos riots, on the failure of security intelligence by all relevant security agencies in the country. The group also canvassed that severe punitive measures be meted out to the masterminds of the violence to serve as effective deterrence while the police commissioner in state and the state Director of the State Security Service (SSS) be sacked for alleged dereliction of duties.
In its own reaction to the crisis, the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) faction led by Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) has called for the declaration of emergency rule in the state over the raging crisis, while also blaming the incident on Jang who it said was desperate to win the Jos North Local Government election at all cost.
Also, the Action Congress (AC) has called for the cancellation of the Plateau council polls, since the perceived rigging of the elections is the main cause of the violence that has now left over 300 people dead and hundreds wounded or displaced in the Jos North local government area.In an interview with THISDAY in Abuja, the Secretary of ANPP Presidential Council, Engr. Buba Galadima called for the declaration of emergency rule in the state over the continued killing and maiming of people by thugs perceived to be armed by the state government.
According to Buba Galadima, "we feel bad that election ANPP won has been denied it again., It was denied because the national secretariat of the party has been compromised and its members are therefore left without any sense of direction.
"In view of the continued killing, we call on the federal government to declare a state of emmegency in the state before it is too late. Military men should be drafted to the state to dislodge those in uniform allegedly armed by the state government. We equally call for the cancellation of the result of the council election since cancel election was the main issue."
Buba Galadima said that information received by the Buhari Organisation shows that the biggest Motor Company in Jos, named Femma Motors was burned down with over 100 vehicles parked at the garage. Also the auto shop of Ibrahim Saleh Hassan, son of Alhaji Saleh Hassan, former national chairman of the Democratic Party of Nigeria (DPN) was burned down.
The Buhari group also called on government to set up an indepedent Judiciary Enquiry Panel to investigate the cause of the crisis.
Also in a statement issued in Abuja Saturday by its National Publicity Secretary, the Action Congress (AC) Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party also condemned the government’s gross insensitivity in going ahead to release the results of the elections, especially that of the Jos North that precipitated the crisis, even as the smoke was yet to clear from the ruins of the violence.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=129535&printer_friendly=1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14)

Jonathan Submits Confab Report To Senate / Tribunal Upholds Ganduje's Election As Kano Governor / Atedo Peterside Joins Social Democratic Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.