Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,442 members, 7,830,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* - Agriculture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (238838 Views)

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Austin234(m): 1:38am On Jan 09, 2015
Austin234:
2ndly, i actualy want to get serious wit cucumber farming frm January 2015. I have secured a farmland to dis effect. But b4 i take off i wud have like to see urs.
Again, i wud like to start wit d special cucumber seedling u recomended (East West Int'l Seed).
Ur phone contact is not conecting. I may not mind being in ur farm if am invited as stay some kilos frm u (Orlu).
U may reach me on chidi.agbawo@gmail.com
Meanwhile, i wish u quick recovery

Of a truth, i have met and seen one of a good Nigerian in d person of jasper7.
I was in his farm yesterday where took me round.
Below are d pictures i took on d farm

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Austin234(m): 1:50am On Jan 09, 2015
I came across gud Nigerian yesterday in d person of Jasper7.
He has proved dat he is not among internet farmers but practical.
I was in his cucumber farm yesterday where took me round.
Below are d pictures i took in his farm.
May God bles jasper7

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by karlxavier(m): 2:45am On Jan 09, 2015
Okay @ the op. Please try and kip me posted.. I really need to connect with you to start up something... Thanks in advance
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Sutsillac(m): 1:42pm On Jan 09, 2015
God blessu jasper for ur selflessness. I hv sm acres of land at Ogun state and I intend to start farming on it this year. I know u said u cannot say wot the cost implication will be cos of diffeeence in areas n people. Wot I want is an estimate of wot u spent wen preparing ur land till u harvested. Just so I can make an informes decision and compare cost with wot I already found out here at ogun state. Thanks
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by stint(m): 2:49pm On Jan 09, 2015
Sutsillac:
God blessu jasper for ur selflessness. I hv sm acres of land at Ogun state and I intend to start farming on it this year. I know u said u cannot say wot the cost implication will be cos of diffeeence in areas n people. Wot I want is an estimate of wot u spent wen preparing ur land till u harvested. Just so I can make an informes decision and compare cost with wot I already found out here at ogun state. Thanks
how many acres do u have? From going through this thread, my rough estimate is about 200k per Acre. There is no way to say how much it will cost. But you can work with that number in mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:14pm On Jan 09, 2015
Sutsillac:
It's okay... If you can answer the following questions I think i can give you a rough estimate. Is there water in the land? is it a farmland or a virgin land? Do you have an estimate for the cost of labour in the area?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Benzyyn(m): 5:51pm On Jan 10, 2015
Mind blowing I must say. I see the youths taking over agricultral sector. God bless you jasper for this great work. Are you going to be in owerri in two weeks time? I'd love to come to your farm(if you don't mind). Hope your health is improving? Safe

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 10:40pm On Jan 10, 2015
I reject every level of dryness in your life and business this new week. it's a new year. you must end this year with something big...
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by plainmirror(m): 10:43pm On Jan 10, 2015
jasper7:
I reject every level of dryness in your life and business this new week. it's a new year. you must end this year with something big...

A BIG amen to dat sire !
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Kalusam(m): 11:26am On Jan 11, 2015
My cucumbers as at yesterday 10/01/2015(12 Days after planting). 3 seed leaves appearing.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 1:17pm On Jan 11, 2015
Kalusam:
My cucumbers as at yesterday 10/01/2015(12 Days after planting). 3 seed leaves appearing.
that's quite slow o... 3rd leave after almost 2 weeks is you're 4 days behind. Anywaes, let's see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Kalusam(m): 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2015
Maybe its the seed o because the soil here is loamy.
jasper7:

that's quite slow o... 3rd leave after almost 2 weeks is you're 4 days behind. Anywaes, let's see how it goes.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:51pm On Jan 11, 2015
Kalusam:
Maybe its the seed o because the soil here is loamy.
maybe, or insufficient water. try to increase quantity of water, especially from this stage. and check if there's a difference. @House. I hope we are learning?

3 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by lagbaja(m): 6:30pm On Jan 11, 2015
Dear Jasper, I am so proud of what you are doing. You are an inspiration. I will make my contributions too. I was a cucumber grower too in the past. I stopped because of staff challenges. I will be restarting again, this time I will be doing cucumber and water melon. At my first trial, I did Drip irrigation, like you experienced, it was very challenging because staff just won't make it work. I had drip tapes for 5 hectares. Here are pictures of my nursery using cocopeat. What you have on the picture are 5 day old nursery.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 12:28am On Jan 12, 2015
lagbaja:
Dear Jasper, I am so proud of what you are doing. You are an inspiration. I will make my contributions too. I was a cucumber grower too in the past. I stopped because of staff challenges. I will be restarting again, this time I will be doing cucumber and water melon. At my first trial, I did Drip irrigation, like you experienced, it was very challenging because staff just won't make it work. I had drip tapes for 5 hectares. Here are pictures of my nursery using cocopeat. What you have on the picture are 5 day old nursery.
this is fantastic. I like your nursery. hope you made good money from your farm?

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by lagbaja(m): 1:51am On Jan 12, 2015
jasper7:

this is fantastic. I like your nursery. hope you made good money from your farm?

To be honest, I didn't. I was frustrated by staff ineptitude. I have since addressed the issues. I currently do fishery and piggery, I will be using the waste water from the fish ponds and the pig manure for the cucumber cultivation. I was on a short training at Songhai too. I saw the marvels. I use DC solar pump to get water on the farm, that addresses my water needs.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by stint(m): 11:40pm On Jan 12, 2015
lagbaja:

To be honest, I didn't. I was frustrated by staff ineptitude. I have since addressed the issues. I currently do fishery and piggery, I will be using the waste water from the fish ponds and the pig manure for the cucumber cultivation. I was on a short training at Songhai too. I saw the marvels. I use DC solar pump to get water on the farm, that addresses my water needs.
Please what re the things i need for such training at songhai. I need to attend something like that. A rough estimate of how much it cost u will be nice.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Soloxam(m): 10:48am On Jan 13, 2015
jasper7:

maybe, or insufficient water. try to increase quantity of water, especially from this stage. and check if there's a difference. @House. I hope we are learning?
I guess the cause of slow growth is the hamatharn, cos it retarded the growth of plant, in fact if care is not taken most seeds during hamatharn will not germinate.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by loneytunes(m): 4:13pm On Jan 13, 2015
lagbaja:

Pls how/where did you get the stuff you are using for your nursery (i.e. where you panted your seeds)? Also what is it called? Thanks
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 13, 2015
lagbaja:

plz can u upload d pix of the dc solar pump?
how much did u buy it?
is it only for surface water? can it pump from a well too?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 6:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
Soloxam:
I guess the cause of slow growth is the hamatharn, cos it retarded the growth of plant, in fact if care is not taken most seeds during hamatharn will not germinate.
very very true... the the relative humidity is low during harmattan season. that's why we encourage the use of mulching film.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 6:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
loneytunes:

Pls how/where did you get the stuff you are using for your nursery (i.e. where you panted your seeds)? Also what is it called? Thanks
It's a nursery tray... Like mentioned. He filled it with cocopeat.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 9jaStartUpSerie: 7:25pm On Jan 13, 2015
@jasper7, I run a website, 9jaStartUpseries.com, and it is a platform for 9ja startups within and outside nigeria to showcase their products and themselves. I would like to talk about your farming experience. Also, those that have startups- could be technology, fashion, interior decorations, and the rest can email me on admin@9jastartupseries.com

Thanks,
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:05pm On Jan 13, 2015
9jaStartUpSerie:
@jasper7, I run a website, 9jaStartUpseries.com, and it is a platform for 9ja startups within and outside nigeria to showcase their products and themselves. I would like to talk about your farming experience. Also, those that have startups- could be technology, fashion, interior decorations, and the rest can email me on admin@9jastartupseries.com

Thanks,
no wahala sir. so far say no be e-book.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:06pm On Jan 13, 2015
I like what farmers are doing in 2015. very soon I'll be releasing my 5million in 2 months thread. If you believe say Amen... cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Soloxam(m): 8:09pm On Jan 13, 2015
jasper7:

no wahala sir. so far say no be e-book. grin
E-book no work here my brother.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 9jaStartUpSerie: 9:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
jasper7:

no wahala sir. so far say no be e-book.

chief, abeg if u add me up on bbm if u dont mind 7A1C65B7. It will a bb chat type interview, and you will provide me with pictures of your farm and its produce. I hope that works. If any other person has something to showcase - a startup, please dont hesitate to send me an email at admin@9jastartupseries. kindly spread the word.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by sheikh89: 6:58am On Jan 14, 2015
@jasper7, i no wan dey ghost mode again......

gt som further questions to ask...a local farmer here says dt dey dnt sell in Kg dt dey stuff it in a poultry feed bag & it goes for 3k, says its alwys around 100 pcs insyde.. my question is: are dey being ripped of coz each cucumber is going for #30?

2ndly, how mny average sized cucumbers mk up a kg?

tnx
A learner.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by lagbaja(m): 7:50am On Jan 14, 2015
sheikh89:
gt som further questions to ask...a local farmer here says dt dey dnt sell in Kg dt dey stuff it in a poultry feed bag & it goes for 3k, says its alwys around 100 pcs insyde.. my question is: are dey being ripped of coz each cucumber is going for #30?
tnx
A learner.

That's the price. The retailer has to add transportation costs and her own mark up. Sometimes, It takes them time to dispose their stock, some of the cucumber will rot

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by lagbaja(m): 7:52am On Jan 14, 2015
Hello Jasper, please can I have the ChaiThai agent's number, I need to buy more trays for my new plantations. I bought my last set from Ghana, getting it accross was too hectic
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 9:05am On Jan 14, 2015
sheikh89:

tnx
A learner.
let me just cut in here. just as lagbaja said, 3k is okay for feedback. but if 100 cucumber fills up a bag, then it must be a very small specie. A bigger specie will be at most 60 a bag

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by psalm68(m): 9:30am On Jan 14, 2015
@jasper,what can i say?hmmmm U ARE REALLY A BLESSING.

With people like you,Nigeria indeed has a bright future.

To other pro in the house,you are all doing a great job and in no time we will feed the nation as well as banish unemployment in our land.AMEN

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (33) (Reply)

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.