Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,471 members, 7,830,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* - Agriculture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (238842 Views)

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:23pm On Jan 15, 2015
maimsy:
Quite intresting piece. Jasper7 I am really interested. I do moringa, would want to try out cucumber as well. Pls let's have ur contact.
My email: maims2008@yahoo.co.uk.
thanks ma. I'll e-mail you later
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by engrgd(m): 4:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
Hi Jasper
My name is Gerald. I am also a cucumber farmer in Imo State. I would love to meet with you in person, so as to network and expand better. We have all it takes in the South East. Thanks
My BBM Pin - 5164E015.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
jjman2322:

When do you want to start the clustered farming operation?
I am still working on the logistics. still securing land. but I hope to kick-off. latest by march.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by nitajj: 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
jasper7:
Back to class. We are at number 4 factor. NUMBER 4 is IRRIGATION. Over 80% of cucumber composition is water. Yes! Water... the need for constant water cannot be underestimated. And for this, irrigation is key.

Personally, wherever I am developing land, once the land is secure from pests the next thing I do is secure a constant source of water. Could be a nearby stream or I sink bore-hole in the land.

Please if you don't have constant source of water, cucumber farming is not for you.

If the plants are not well watered, the primary effect is that the products will be bitter. Have you eaten bitter cucumber before? Let's just say it's a combination of quinine and bitter leaf. Nobody will buy it from you, and bye bye to 1million Net profit.
Secondly, the plants won't last long before they wither. Which would not allow you to harvest as many times as you need to. So... bye bye 1million profit.
Very educative... but the easiest and most profitable is called the the DRIP IRRIGATION. ... just Google and get the all and all..
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:31pm On Jan 15, 2015
sCun:

I was enjoying the thread until I got to this part, it just spoilt my mood. What are we going to do about these Fulani cattle rearers for God's sake?
Does it mean that we will start having regular clashes with them like the middle belt when we (South east) go back fully into agriculture?
What is the solution?
There is a solution to cattle now. It's no longer a problem. Use Jatropha plant as a perimeter fencing. it repels cattle and also has economic value. if I knew this 2 in 2013, it would have saved me a lot. that's why we learn everyday.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by QuiverBox(f): 4:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

You are mad. I should do the same of i see u trespassing on my property.

Filthy bas.tard.

Savage uncivilized mentality.

must you insult to make your point

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by hizaya61(m): 4:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
Happy for women they don't need dido again grin

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2015
obanqua:
Wow!
Keep it up bro.

Please I am interested, where do I start from?
details to obanqua@hotmail.com

Thanks
I'll contact you soon
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Raxxye(m): 4:53pm On Jan 15, 2015
Interesting, educative thread. I'm coming from the rear(page 4 at the moment); don't wanna miss a single post!
Good job@Jasper. You will walk and never stumble!
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by mpowa(m): 4:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ok, following this
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 100Cents: 4:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
jasper7:
NUMBER 2: LABOUR. From personal experience. My first farm was a small one (about one plot). So, I handled it myself, only hired labour when making the beds. I made 100K in 2 months. I was shocked! That spurred me to look for more land. But when I increased to 4plots, I hired workers (2 workers). I was expecting to make at least 400k or 350. But to my greatest surprise, I made 250k. And had to pay their salaries of 80k. (20k each for 2 months). I was distraught, I began to check for what went wrong and discovered 2 things about Labour in Nigeria.

1. An average Nigerian youth wants to be richer than Dangote but is not ready to work. Very lazy to the bones.

2. If it's not their fathers business, they are ready to collapse and destroy whatever you are building.

Preach on preacher !
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by debbydee(f): 5:46pm On Jan 15, 2015
good work oga jasper
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by igbsam(m): 5:50pm On Jan 15, 2015
Following
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nikapetrelli(f): 5:52pm On Jan 15, 2015
TAEpiphany:
LMAO .... You are too funny. Please continue with your narrative. It's good to see a farmer with humor. The bit about monkeys harvesting....lol didn't even know we still had monkeys in Nigeria. Last we heard they all left Idanre hills grin
We have in Awka @ Anambra n is sacred to them
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Okparaval(m): 6:03pm On Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the info Jasper, hard work really pays.
Am interested in cucumber farming and i am living in Owerri as well so i would want to see your farm, please can you help me with your contact or reach out to me on 07035462782 or okparaval@gmail.com.

Thanks in anticipation of your response
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by karlxavier(m): 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2015
Am also in owerri and I would love to see your farm as well brother...
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 6:10pm On Jan 15, 2015
100Cents:

Preach on preacher !
grin
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 6:31pm On Jan 15, 2015
maimsy:
Quite intresting piece. Jasper7 I am really interested. I do moringa, would want to try out cucumber as well. Pls let's have ur contact.
My email: maims2008@yahoo.co.uk.
see moringa people o. the people that are chopping the money cheesy. it is well. where are you located?

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by juanmiguel: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2015
jasper7:

Follow up then, you'll find this thread interesting and educative
pls where in owerri is ur farm located?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Denn(m): 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

You are mad. I should do the same of i see u trespassing on my property.

Filthy bas.tard.

Savage uncivilized mentality.

You deserve no response....

Ironic how you call people savages when you should have invested in a cheap mirror.

I intend shooting monkeys that trespass my farm... Why the ill feelings... I thought we were all humans posting on this thread.... Or....

8 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Denn(m): 7:23pm On Jan 15, 2015
I am not being selfish but I think pushing this thread to the front page has attracted people with a mix of intents.

Whilst we have sane observers, a lot of runts also came to the party...

Not every thread must hit the front page... This thread has been on NL for some couple of months now with valid contributions being made.

3 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by brownlord: 7:28pm On Jan 15, 2015
jasper7:
Merry Christmas in advance to all my followers on this thread. Please do ensure you eat well this festve season. Unfortunately, I have gone through a terrible run of weeks (about a month). After the meeting with the farmers at ogbomosho I have been sick, really sick. Well, according to the doctors I suffered soft tissue infection. Which led to an operation. Am fine, thank you smiley. This is the reason why the thread has been on slowmo for some weeks now. Well, there's no holiday for the farmers but the doc said I should take some time off from tedious work (a month or 2). So... I'll have all the time for you guys once am discharged fully from the hospital. Unfortunately I won't be joining much in the festive flexing due to restrictions on what and what I can eat and drink. Abeg make una kindly share my portion. embarassed. God Bless Y'all

Since i started from page 1, can't continue without saying quick recovery though i know you be your feet now.

Nice job sir, thinking farming soon
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Whynotthetruth(m): 7:46pm On Jan 15, 2015
Be blessed beyond measures@Jasper7...Have been an observer for a while now...but will surely invest in agriculture once I surmount my present health challenge...

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
OP make we come chop
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by PointB: 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2015
Great thread.

Well done jasper!
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 100Cents: 8:10pm On Jan 15, 2015
cashweather:
Jasper, you are blessed, am proud of you, i want u to be my mentor. I really appreciate, the knowledge you have shared. You have inspired me. These site is best site in Nigeria. I really appreciate the owner Seun of setting up this site. Jasper i wana be like you next year. I base in Rivers state, i will love to plant cucumber next year. I love to add u on bbm or on watts up. Hope u dont mind?

Expression of love.

Lol..
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by coolrose(m): 8:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
Thumbs Up Jasper! You are doing a great job. I am greatly inspired.
How can you advice someone with 8-5 job to go into this type of farming?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
Denn:

You deserve no response....

Ironic how you call people savages when you should have invested in a cheap mirror.

I intend shooting monkeys that trespass my farm... Why the ill feelings... I thought we were all humans posting on this thread.... Or....

Its so easy for you to talk of taking someones life is it? Of an innocent creature that cannot reason beyond the line of food?

Have you ever thought that you must be trespassing on the land of the apes? Do u know that due to the logging, land grabbing and deforestation, there is no food left in the bush? Which is why they spill out into human settlement. Nigeria willl soon lose her monkeys as well.

You are not human. You are a savage creature.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Denn(m): 8:51pm On Jan 15, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

Its so easy for you to talk of taking someones life is it? Of an innocent creature that cannot reason beyond the line of food?

Have you ever thought that you must be trespassing on the land of the apes? Do u know that due to the logging, land grabbing and deforestation, there is no food left in the bush? Which is why they spill out into human settlement. Nigeria willl soon lose her monkeys as well.

You are not human. You are a savage creature.

Someone is a word reserved for humans....

A farmer who has toiled and sacrificed manpower, materials, and money has the right to harvest... Any other being that tries to harvest without the farmer's permission is a thief.... In agriculture terms, they are called pests.

Have you heard of pesticides, herbicides and the age long 'monkeycide' used in many wars in the past... A trusty gun primed with the deadliest of bullets might be the best stopping force and can determine either the farmer goes bankrupt due to unfounded beliefs or survives till the next planting season.

Some people employ other less noisy methods like poisons which are equally lethal.

The law of nature is cold...and the monkeys understand it.

My being a human is not a decision you can make... It is in nature.

If you love monkeys that much, why not take some home?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by gayman99: 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2015
Hello Jasper. Ur work is quite impressive. I will suggest another avenue for marketing for u. U can mail me for that. This is just for u. A new year gift.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (33) (Reply)

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.