Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

My Experience With Racists. - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Experience With Racists. (33259 Views)

Funny PHCN Photos (share Your Experience With Them) / My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall / My Experience With A Native Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Racists. by sukkot: 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2014
SirShymex:

You know we don't play that shiit out here in the belly of the beast! grin

We always handle our business like Flavour Flav's clock - we are rowdy as fvck. grin
you know it brah lmao. gunchester tinz bruv cheesy
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2014
brito:

Don't be sorry, you just have to learn to stay on tour own sometimes, sorry for the embarrassment.
not greeting is not staying on your own.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2014
50calibre:

And if you replace the OP & his black friend with two white people, do you think those guys would have acted the same?

The fact remains we can't conclude either way if it was racism or not. Racism comes in various shapes & sizes, it couple range from mild to extreme.

Tales of racism has made black people very sensitive, even something as trivial as a magazine cover could be seen as promoting racial prejudice so I understand why the OP feels that way after all, what comes first to your head when a white person snobs your greeting, moves away from you & starts laughing at you with another white person.

Whatever transpired there as well as the motive, I don't know!! My issue with the OP is why couldn't he just mind his business?

I learned my lesson for being too friendly. Meanwhile, that haven't changed me. I still say hi, hello etc to strangers and they usually respond. I'm not trynna engage you in a talk when I say "Hi"
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Afam4eva(m): 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2014
50calibre:

And if you replace the OP & his black friend with two white people, do you think those guys would have acted the same?

The fact remains we can't conclude either way if it was racism or not. Racism comes in various shapes & sizes, it couple range from mild to extreme.

Tales of racism has made black people very sensitive, even something as trivial as a magazine cover could be seen as promoting racial prejudice so I understand why the OP feels that way after all, what comes first to your head when a white person snobs your greeting, moves away from you & starts laughing at you with another white person.

Whatever transpired there as well as the motive, I don't know!! My issue with the OP is why couldn't he just mind his business?
And if you replace the him and his friend with two Wall Street black guys, do you think it will make any difference? These days it's really hard to tell what is racism and what is not. For instance, white women are usually accused of racism just because they clinch to their purse when they see a black dude approaching their location. How come no one talks about how the black dudes are dressed? Would they do that to a guy wearing a suit and looking like someone who works for Meryl Lynch? I don't think so. If you dress like a thug (even if you're not), they will look at you in a certain way and judge you almost immediately. That's called stereotyping and not racism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2014
sukkot:
[b]i strongly doubt that. i know many people like you. especially those who try so hard to integrate with other cultures. you usually hate your own. if you loved your own, and especially with all the killing of black men recently by white men, if you loved your own you would never ever say hi to a white man unless of course he says hi first, then you have no choice but to respond. trayvon martin, izzell ford, the 12 year old boy in cleveland, the brown guy in ferguson, the black guy who got choked to death in new york etc etc. a race war is brewing. if you dont see the white man as the enemy at this juncture in history then you must be one of em ' i hate myself ' kinda niggaz. the revolution is here. all these cops that killed black men ? guess what ? white people all over the world started donating money to them. you see ? they are donating money to any white man who has the balls to kill a niggaz. the revolution is here. that white man is your enemy. you gone learn the hard way or the easy way. the choice is yours[/b]

You know many people like me? You don't even know me. Well, an eye for an eye will make the world blind. Thanks anyways.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by cap28: 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
SirShymex:

You know we don't play that shiit out here in the belly of the beast! grin

We always handle our business like Flavour Flav's clock - we are rowdy as fvck. grin

grin grin grin grin - very true, especially if a black british or Jamaican person is on the receiving end of the racism - see this white woman being thrown off a bus by a black british guy for calling him a nigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUrH9EMv4E
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Afam4eva(m): 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
Amefrica:

I learned my lesson for being too friendly. Meanwhile, that haven't changed me. I still say hi, hello etc to strangers and they usually respond. I'm not trynna engage you in a talk when I say "Hi"
Were you saying hi to random people while you were in Nigeria and you you say it to other blacks you meet in Canada or is the HI only said to white Canadians?
Re: My Experience With Racists. by 50calibre(m): 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
SirShymex:

Lol, even in Uni. I remember a lot of them used to run after white friends, rather than integrate with the black people, and get acquainted with what the black experience is like. Learn from that, and use that as a tool for relations with other people.grin You see them taking pictures with white people, like they've arrived, till they get their wake up call. That ish used to be hysterical, I tell ya.

Racism is here to stay. But what happened to this guy is just normal. That's why when you're in an area dominated by white people, they don't even need to tell you that the back of the bus is where you should sit, and mind ya own business. Acting like a chatty old white woman won't get you anywhere on these streets. grin

Lool same here! I knew a lot of them in Uni who tried as much as possible to dissociate themselves with their fellow black people sooner or later, they came running back after reality struck them on the head like a ton of brick.

Parents need to start teaching their kids racial pride & identity, associate with your own kind & stop seeking validation from other races.

This a fundamental problem with black people (especially Africans) I don't see the Chinese or Arabs trying hard to integrate with other races, anywhere you see them, they're always with their own.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
sukkot:
you know it brah lmao. gunchester tinz bruv cheesy

Nah blud, Londonistan rules all. Ya accent is moist up North. grin

I still don't take mandem from Manny, Notty, and Brum seriously cos of the weird accent. grin

You don't stand in man's face out here, and chat shiit...you'll get knocked the fvck out.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by GooseBaba: 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2014
BadSamaritan:
Well, I work in a rig. And more than 40% of the people there are whites. They're all friendly and chatty. Even when you're not in the mood for the small talks. Always saying "hello buddy" when they sit close to you.

This gets me thinking... Are they always like this or is it because they're here in Naija?

Though there's one who I can vouch for his sincerity. That one eats pidgin like no man's business. He's the only whitey who eats Jollof rice or eba at the canteen

Bros, don't be fooled. We had a resident Irish man named "koloyinbo" on NL. The guy sabi different naija slangs and had a Nigerian fiancee. But he still felt superior to the black man. Despite the fact that he is a fuvking Irish man...

Don't be fooled. They are here to hustle. And they know how to play the game...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 30, 2014
pekelepekele:
I can do the same to you right here in Nigeria , why should you greet some1 you don't know.

The last time some1 greeted me at the bus stop , the next thing was OGA please help me with #100 to reach Sagamu.
thats why shagamu is different from the western world . majority of people here greet even if they dont know you it gives a good mood atimes and makes some people feel better . it is never bad to help if you can .

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 30, 2014
50calibre:

Lool same here! I knew a lot of them in Uni who tried as much as possible to dissociate themselves with their fellow black people sooner or later, they came running back after reality struck them on the head like a ton of brick.

Parents need to start teaching their kids racial pride & identity, associate with your own kind & stop seeking validation from other races.

This a fundamental problem with black people (especially Africans) I don't see the Chinese or Arabs trying hard to integrate with other races, anywhere you see them, they're always with their own.

Asians always stick to their own, and learn. But these Africans love white folks so much, they'll do anything for their attention/acceptance. grin Low self-esteem and inferiority complex.

Anyway, that's what you get when you don't know how to mind ya business. Surprised they didn't throw a banana at him. grin
Re: My Experience With Racists. by GooseBaba: 2:51pm On Nov 30, 2014
Goldenboy007:
The bitter truth is that racism cannot be eradicated ! Its not a white or black thing, its an orientation which had been woven into the human fabric ! Apart racial discrimination, we as individuals have discriminated against others based on different sentiments. As long as you have ever judged others based on tribe, religion, gender, etc. You are also guilty ! Back to Racism - its common here in US too. They may not make it so obvious but you will know it is there. For me I know its not everybody, so if I say hello and you don't answer me I move to the next person. I don't blame them, I blame those who made our own country inhabitable ! Nevertheless try attending a big man's party in Lagos or Abuja, if uou are a nobody, you will see another form of class discriminations too. Its life !

You're confusing prejudice with racism..
Re: My Experience With Racists. by 50calibre(m): 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2014
Amefrica:

Ok!! In that case, you should develop a tougher skin because you're definitely going to meet more of those type of people.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2014
cap28:

grin grin grin grin - very true, especially if a black british or Jamaican person is on the receiving end of the racism - see this white woman being thrown off a bus by a black british guy for calling him a nigger:

But that guy is moist as well.

Who made him English? grin
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 30, 2014
ghostofsparta:
[size=14pt]Now based on your misinterpreted experience to which I see no racism exhibited from those Canadian folks. Supposing, what if those white folks behaved exactly the same way as you've described to two other foreigners like you and your friend but only that they are whites like them, should that be called racism? Speaking of racism itself, I have often told friends in abroad that it is the sort of mentality some Nigerians carry on with them to foreign lands that when expressed unknowingly tend to always give rise to attitudes from those whites that can be deemed racist. It is induced from other.[/size]

Instead of the mods to place thoroguhly enlightening and thought provoking topics like THIS on front page, there are inserting topics that appeals to them on front page. If you want to read about racism that still occurs to us African blacks today, then go read Arab Slavery of Black Africans
he felt he was not responded to because of his color , thats fine . bro , racism exist and thats the real truth . it aint never gonna die . we saw the protest of africans americans just lastweek . the ones seen in arab is still racism on a higher level . they have chosen to make some blacks slaves we chose it , you can blame that on their religion . There is nothing like realising , the only thing that makes you superior is understanding your true identity.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 30, 2014
Afam4eva:
Were you saying hi to random people while you were in Nigeria and you you say it to other blacks you meet in Canada or is the HI only said to white Canadians?

Why are you trying to rephrase my statement? When I say strangers/people I don't see skin colour as a disqualification for you not to be a human being.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by cap28: 2:57pm On Nov 30, 2014
SirShymex:

well, as you know the majority of black british people see themselves as "English".

Check out another black brit trying to force another racist off a London bus grin grin grin grin grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bwk4EOLKo
Re: My Experience With Racists. by 50calibre(m): 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2014
Afam4eva:

And if you replace the him and his friend with two Wall Street black guys, do you think it will make any difference? These days it's really hard to tell what is racism and what is not. For instance, white women are usually accused of racism just because they clinch to their purse when they see a black dude approaching their location. How come no one talks about how the black dudes are dressed? Would they do that to a guy wearing a suit and looking like someone who works for Meryl Lynch? I don't think so. If you dress like a thug (even if you're not), they will look at you in a certain way and judge you almost immediately. That's called stereotyping and not racism.

Well stereotyping and racism are intertwined, most times, racism is usually as a result of some form of stereotype.

For me, I don't really care to be honest, I carry myself with pride & I don't give fuc*k so unless some racist touches me or is all up in my face, I couldn't care one bit.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2014
50calibre:
Next time, mind your business so you don't give people room to display racist behaviour towards you.

Most of those people are not happy you're in their country, Black people are very much a minority in Canada, some of them are genuinely scared of black people.

Assume everyone to be racist until proven otherwise, & you should be fine. Stay away from white Canadian chics as well if possible, till you've properly acclimatised to your environment.
when he stays away , how can he meet someone who can perhaps help . his greeting was neevr bad , I would only advice he takes it as normal as long as they are not threats to his life and move on not avoid people
Re: My Experience With Racists. by GooseBaba: 3:02pm On Nov 30, 2014
SirShymex:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2014
gneisss:

and wat is bad about dat? a stranded person asked for ur help and ur stingy self saw something wrong with dat rite? Better change ur ways
a reason there is racism is because of that guys post . he feels so good to have used that mans flaws as an example on here , if it were a white man that asked for some favor after he greeted am sure he may have seen it as an achievement. we just gotta change this kind of mentality.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by IDEApro(m): 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2014
Op, a white man gave you the cold shoulder doesn't translate to racism. In every society there is class or better put social stratification and should we juxtaposed, it then portrayed the white man as seeing you beneath his social status for consideration. In African society it is prevalent even on nairaland ,some persons feels high and above some monikers so they think such monikers doesn't deserve mention.

If the white dude has made derogatory comments towards you after you'd greet him, throw banana at you or stick, then the word 'racism' can be justified but he ignores you and you went on an emotional tantrums displaying anger and inferior complex.

You already built a mindset, deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Racists. by 50calibre(m): 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2014
SirShymex:

Asians always stick to their own, and learn. But these Africans love white folks so much, they'll do anything for their attention/acceptance. grin Low self-esteem and inferiority complex.

Anyway, that's what you get when you don't know how to mind ya business. Surprised they didn't throw a banana at him. grin

And it makes them stronger as a unit.

Lool Well as they say, experience is the best teacher, maybe after a couple of nasty experiences, he'd learn.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2014
traware:
@OP You are too fuccking sensitive.I thought your story was going to be about you being beaten to a coma by a group of skinheads.The more you talk about those type of people,the more you give those irrelevant folks relevance.Forget about the incident and move on
best , tho it hurts.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 30, 2014
claremont:

@OP: You belittle the concept of racism by referring to what you experienced as racist.

You meet a stranger on the street, you greet him/her and he/she doesn't respond and chooses to stay away from you. How is that racist?! There are a lot of deductions we could adduce the attitude of the man to; could it be you have a bad body odour, or you dressed up like a gangstar, or you presented with a bad attitude e.t.c.

The man is not racist for choosing to stay away from you, he made a choice. We need to get over this defeatist attitude of looking for racism everywhere.
would you deny there is no racism even if the ops case is differrent.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by ICHINONYE(m): 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2014
Racism n Triablism 4me s interrelated while black + white suffer a racist remark, black + black die on d tribalism side of it, Nigeria s one of dem n neds do more to blend everytribe 2geda
Re: My Experience With Racists. by queebeediva(f): 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2014
My brother sorry ooo. Blacks are tags as evil people and somhow they tag themselves by themselves due to the evil device some of them engages but notwisthstanding we Africans should shun racist and show more love together in peace we will bloat out those evil practics.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by seangy4konji: 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2014
Na true u talk. When it's as if someone die for weh one no go even greet one person but as d level be?a lot of frustrated people on the street irrespective of origin so sometimes u go look face and greet happy ones who go gladly return d greeting instead of who are ready to transfer hate to.
Amefrica:

Lol grin Thanks bro. That's what was on my mind but the first set of Canadians I had interactions with were just super-friendly. You can't bone face from morning to night without at least a Canadian greeting and making you smile. It's just the few ignorant ones that are racist.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by RaptorX: 3:09pm On Nov 30, 2014
sukkot:
[b]i strongly doubt that. i know many people like you. especially those who try so hard to integrate with other cultures. you usually hate your own. if you loved your own, and especially with all the killing of black men recently by white men, if you loved your own you would never ever say hi to a white man unless of course he says hi first, then you have no choice but to respond. trayvon martin, izzell ford, the 12 year old boy in cleveland, the brown guy in ferguson, the black guy who got choked to death in new york etc etc. a race war is brewing. if you dont see the white man as the enemy at this juncture in history then you must be one of em ' i hate myself ' kinda niggaz. the revolution is here. all these cops that killed black men ? guess what ? white people all over the world started donating money to them. you see ? they are donating money to any white man who has the balls to kill a niggaz. the revolution is here. that white man is your enemy. you gone learn the hard way or the easy way. the choice is yours[/b]
All hail lord Obadiah, please tell these heathens what time it is, if a racist white cop kill a black man in the US now, millions of dollars will be donated to him by whites from all over the world. Even a cop wannabe like Zimmerman got tons of cash from whites all over the world.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2014
SeverusSnape:
This is really bad, But the bitter truth is this; Racism is not going to stop in this lifetime, as far as we are all different races, it will surely continue. So unfortunate.
it pains me when a black man wishes a white man can embrace him as his brother . what do these guys think really.
Re: My Experience With Racists. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2014
majekdom2:
pls continue with this attitude , its warm . the truth is racism can never end , No it can never . one dude said smething sometime , he said we africans dont get the picture yet , talking down your fellow black man , insulting him dont make you superior , it leaves you with the inferior mentality instead . The white man will keep laughing at this folly as you have seen him as superior. its best we embrace ourselves for who really are and it starts with the right thinking . its a good thing to be well travelled but in whatever you do , contribute your qouta to where you coming from .

God bless you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Six Die In Fatal Accident In Anambra - Pictures / What's A Question You Hate When People Ask You? / See Black Snake My Brother Killed Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.