Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets (42051 Views)

Chibok Girls Rescue: Military Deploys 2 Fighter Jets, 4 Helicopters In Gwoza / Fighter Jets Drop Boko Haram Flyers In Adamawa Against Voting? - Newsrescue.com / Boko Haram: FG Acquires 12 Fighter Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Cannonleo(m): 4:33pm On Dec 03, 2014
Litmus:
I would never buy technology this crucial from Pakistan or India. We're thinking too narrowly humbly at this point, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TKcRSsc_KM

I posted the you-tube featured aircraft sometime ago. As we strive to create a modern air-force, this type of aircraft should form the majority of our basic fleet, therefore our third best assets, then we'd have more sophisticated second and first rated fighters. Buying from Pakistan and India firmly places our ambition as typically African.

NB

In many ways the Scorpion does look like one of those patronizing technologies created for the third-world market but it has the advantage for us of being modern and something we could take apart and learn from how to build our own indigenous air vehicles.
NB i have gone thru the spec of the scorpion an i must confess i find it a handy replacement to our alpha jets considering is pylons(hardpoints).however its ISTAR abilities makes it a topnotch surgical aircraft with guided ordinances coupled with the fact that our ATR-72 has data uplinks set up with the F-7... however the only thing that is giving me hope that we can acquire it is that it is a privately funded program and is privately owned by the company texatron..that gives us a debatable point if the US decides to use the leahy law against us again..however my optimism about its acquisition is very low..cos it can still be block plus unless the company supplies large amounts of spare part(like it is been done for the F-7)then it will be the jaguar debacle all again....for me
our defense structure should be based around the flanker(su 27,30),Jf-17 and F-7bmg1 while the scorpion if acquired can fill up the short range deep strike range

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by mccash(m): 4:34pm On Dec 03, 2014
I hope the will not steal it and sale to BOKo haram because I no what they can do I even boko haram should snatch it from them
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 03, 2014
Missy89:

i doubt it.
There is no reason to since it cannot be made locally. China/Pakistan will only have their personnel in Nigeria to maintain it and we will pay for it just like the Hinds.

Personally, i think it is a bad idea. not a fan of a one engine jet fighter

Well, it's not about being able to make it locally, the technology transfer would at least give them insight into all the technical stuffs, on how it was built. And it might be helpful in future projects, don't you think?

Anyway, these ones are still better that obsolete Alpha Jets they have now. Not that impressed as well, but at least they bought something. grin
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Litmus: 4:38pm On Dec 03, 2014
Gtrust, you misunderstand. There's a difference between thinking like an African and thinking like an African. you're drawing reference to the state of being a developing Nation. Nigerians think like Africans the majority of people i know from other African nations think like colonial masters want Africans to think.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 03, 2014
No high profile Doctor would fail to have some sort of web presence in 2014

What about finding web presence for Patrick Sawyer - supposedly a high profile minister in Liberia's govt.
felifeli:

You are still a lvnatic. Real people don't live on the internet. They live in real houses and have real friends, familes and real jobs. Go get a life , you are a slimy brainless worm.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by ducii: 4:46pm On Dec 03, 2014
holatin:
cool !
I just pray e no end for boko haram hand.

http://youtu.be/-iWtgF1XU_s
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Bimpe29: 4:46pm On Dec 03, 2014
It is a welcome development, but we need more of result oriented actions than propaganda.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by tdayof(m): 4:46pm On Dec 03, 2014
Vikkie14:

There is nothing like off radar my brother. Radar isnt some kind of television you can turn on and off. Or you think there is just one radar in the whole of US then? Those planes are not stealth planes bro, they are commercial planes. Even a stealth plane is nt completely off radar as in the case of F117 night hawk. Stealth only make jets "partially" invisible and invicible on the radar bros. Or are you saying those F16 or F15 eagles that were drafted doesnt have their radar? Bro, every fighter jets have their own inbuilt RADAR and Infrared trackers, or you think they make use of ground radars to attack up there? No matter the problem the controller may encounter, the jet doesnt rely on the ground radar. Ground radar is just for tracking and detection of "unwanted" guest and to alert a response of interception.
A country that has the capability to fire 15,000 nuclear missiles within 15minutes notice and you expect their Airforce to be a junk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlQjHviRjiU#
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Ovamboland(m): 4:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
hazyfm:
[size=38pt]LOOKS LIKE A TOY[/size]

I HOPE THIS IS NOT CHINA?

It's even worse than Chinko, it is pakistani which is worse than India
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by holatin(m): 4:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

http://youtu.be/-iWtgF1XU_s
lend me Mb to watch that
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by gtrust: 4:50pm On Dec 03, 2014
Litmus:
Gtrust, you misunderstand. There's a difference between thinking like an African and thinking like an African. you're drawing reference to the state of being a developing Nation. Nigerians think like Africans the majority of people i know from other African nations think like colonial masters want Africans to think.

I'm sorry if I got you wrong but my bla-bla-bla is not based on the thought process but on you statement:

Litmus:
I would never buy technology this crucial from Pakistan or India. We're thinking too narrowly humbly at this point, it seems.

Despite the way you think:
Boko Haram is coming!
How much do you have?
What can that buy??

You need to defend your Citizens 1st

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Missy89(f): 4:54pm On Dec 03, 2014
SirShymex:

Well, it's not about being able to make it locally, the technology transfer would at least give them insight into all the technical stuffs, on how it was built. And it might be helpful in future projects, don't you think?

Anyway, these ones are still better that obsolete Alpha Jets they have now. Not that impressed as well, but at least they bought something. grin

What future project? I doubt the radar would be as good as that of the Chinese and Pakistan version anyway. the only way you can get an insight to the tech is to have them built in Nigeria. that is how the Chinese knew how to build their own version of Su27 and how Pakistan could build their own J17.

Deals like this will include a long term maintenance and training program for the pilots that would fly it and the engineers that will maintain it. If they agree to train local engineers to maintain it the long term, Those engineers will sure have an idea on how to maintain a new aircraft but not how to build it.

If they are getting 2 squadrons, thats between 25 to 50 aircrafts. That wont be enough incentive for the Chinese/Pakistan to show you the tech. maybe if we are buying like 5 squadrons, they may send you 3 ready made squadrons and work on building a plant in Nigeria for the remaining 2. But then again, 2 squadron should just be enough for the whole country

You have a point there. Far better than the alpha Crap.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Litmus: 4:57pm On Dec 03, 2014
One advantage in selling to Nigeria is you can sell 'em any crap you want; for, if things go wrong, you can blame them and everyone will accept its their fault including Nigerians themselves.

The Chinese will sell us stuff and do the best that they can to make sure it work so you''d come back next time to buy from them.

Indians will sell you things that they themselves won't ever touch- such as embalmed chicken in Rhy-lane Peckham grin - I'm supposing the Pakistanis are like Indians. In which case, when our highly trained and scarce pilots start dropping out of the skies in their bitched up F17's, it will be blamed on Nigerian incompetence or something.

Anyhow, let's hope for the best.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by realnas(m): 5:00pm On Dec 03, 2014
Akalia:
In as much as am a military aircraft enthusiast, i quite don't like NAF procuring Fighter jets from non-european and American Manufacturers. Reason been that military aircrafts made in europe and america is superior to what china or any asian manufacturer has to offer.
I remember vividly shortly after the NAF procurred some chinese F-7, series of crashes happened, basically because this machines are not very mechanically stable.
my guy all these noise u r makin bout western weapons being superior to weapons mde in asia and the near east is nothin but hogwash ! For ur information chinese and russian weapons r rugged .easy to maintain and they come cheap meanin countries lik nigeria wit our poor maintenance culture can actually afford to operate these platforms . Do u expect naija to buy f 16s,apache helos etc? Haa mr man wake up frm ur slumber and face reality weapons frm america come wit a lot of restrictions ,they r veri expensive , d americansand d british place a lot of restrictions on what we can do with their weapons if u r not convinced go and read about d sepecat jaguar debacle and see hw britain frustrated nigeria to d extent nig had to ground her entire fleet due to british black mail go ahead kip livin in a fool's paradise waitin 4 f16s . Typical nigerian mindset of thinkin that non western things r inferior
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Cannonleo(m): 5:00pm On Dec 03, 2014
Litmus:
One advantage in selling to Nigeria is you can sell 'em any crap you want; for, if things go wrong, you can blame them and everyone will accept its their fault including Nigerians themselves.

The Chinese will sell us stuff and do the best that they can to make sure it work so you''d come back next time to buy from them. Indians will sell you things that they themselves won't ever touch- such as embalmed chicken in Rhy-lane Peckham grin - I'm supposing the Pakistanis are like Indians.

jf-17 is a joint initaitive china and pakistan..so where do u place "chincopakstani"in the equation grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Litmus: 5:01pm On Dec 03, 2014
[s]One advantage in selling to Nigeria is you can sell 'em any crap you want; for, if things go wrong, you can blame them and everyone will accept its their fault including Nigerians themselves.

The Chinese will sell us stuff and do the best that they can to make sure it work so you''d come back next time to buy from them.

Indians will sell you things that they themselves won't ever touch- such as embalmed chicken in Rhy-lane Peckham grin - I'm supposing the Pakistanis are like Indians. In which case, when our highly trained and scarce pilots start dropping out of the skies in their bitched up F17's, it will be blamed on Nigerian incompetence or something.

Anyhow, let's hope for the best.[/s]

Ooops, posted twice, sorry.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by ducii: 5:05pm On Dec 03, 2014
Cannonleo:

jf-17 is a joint initaitive china and pakistan..so where do u place "chincopakstani"in the equation grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

They forget jf -17 was first developed by the Chinese for Parkistan
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Andrew3(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
more photos of the jf17

Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by podosci(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
holatin:
cool !
I just pray e no end for boko haram hand.
lol...If Boko collect this one, nah to pack dey go Niger repulblic
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Vikkie14: 5:14pm On Dec 03, 2014
Ovamboland:

It's even worse than Chinko, it is pakistani which is worse than India
Abeg, keep quiet.#NoBeef. What do you know about Pakistani Military? You even said its worse than Chinko forgeting that its a joint-work between China and Pakistan. Do you know Pakistan is among the nuclear power of the world? And building such weapon is not bread and butter. Their products may not be popular but they pass average. This our Nigeria, what have we built? Am honestly not supporting the Military purchasing "Backbone" or "mainstay" force from pakistan but when the ones with advanced Jets aint selling to you, what do you do than resort to others willing to sell. The Russian Suk-hoi is an ideal jets we can use as our main stay with those pakistani jets running the short range fighter.
And bros, the chinko are trying too only that most of their hardwares are "copied" or "stolen" from the advanced nations.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by holatin(m): 5:15pm On Dec 03, 2014
podosci:

lol...If Boko collect this one, nah to pack dey go Niger repulblic
hahahahaha you got me rolling on the floor
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by mecusbosco(m): 5:16pm On Dec 03, 2014
Horus:

Terrorist organisations have the capability to fly planes. Remember 9/11 at the World Trade Center
So u don't know the meaning of Hijack? 9/11 doesn't mean that the terrorists flew the plane rather they probably held the supposed pilot at gun point and ordered him/her on where to fly to.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Williamso(m): 5:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
GenBuhari:
No high profile Doctor would fail to have some sort of web presence in 2014

What about finding web presence for Patrick Sawyer - supposedly a high profile minister in Liberia's govt.

All you need to do is Google-search the names, and edit the dates (via search tools) to get the info you're looking for; and ultimately rid yourself of this lunacy...
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Williamso(m): 5:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
GenBuhari:
Please provide a link for any internet / web presence for the so called Dr Adadevoh prior to the Ebola outbreak. Until you can do that then you have no basis for calling anyone a lunatic

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/new-appointments-at-learn-africa-plc/143749/

http://41.203.6.134/sf/index.php?page=person&personcode=209027

I guess it's now safe to say you are a lunatic!!!
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Williamso(m): 5:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 03, 2014
Go ahead and prove that you can find them.
Williamso:

All you need to do is Google-search the names, and edit the dates (via search tools) to get the info you're looking for; and ultimately rid yourself of this lunacy...
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Williamso(m): 5:28pm On Dec 03, 2014
GenBuhari:
Go ahead and prove that you can find them.

Williamso:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/new-appointments-at-learn-africa-plc/143749/
http://41.203.6.134/sf/index.php?page=person&personcode=209027
I guess it's now safe to say you are a lunatic!!!

Please remember to check the dates the pages were last updated!!!
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Vikkie14: 5:30pm On Dec 03, 2014
realnas:
my guy all these noise u r makin bout western weapons being superior to weapons mde in asia and the near east is nothin but hogwash ! For ur information chinese and russian weapons r rugged .easy to maintain and they come cheap meanin countries lik nigeria wit our poor maintenance culture can actually afford to operate these platforms . Do u expect naija to buy f 16s,apache helos etc? Haa mr man wake up frm ur slumber and face reality weapons frm america come wit a lot of restrictions ,they r veri expensive , d americansand d british place a lot of restrictions on what we can do with their weapons if u r not convinced go and read about d sepecat jaguar debacle and see hw britain frustrated nigeria to d extent nig had to ground her entire fleet due to british black mail go ahead kip livin in a fool's paradise waitin 4 f16s . Typical nigerian mindset of thinkin that non western things r inferior
I quite support your points. Russia has a better atmosphere to shop than US. Russia are far way ahead of US in technology only that the US is now extremely advanced. The US has a long term goal of ruling the world. They make researches and spends billions of dollars on programme. They are in an "arm race" with russia only that russia is not ready to engage them in the race. Remember Russia controls the space station and its their space ships that carries all those astronaut into the Space station. Infact, US make use of the russian rocket to send their satellites into orbit. Russia hardware are parley with the US but the US really have an edge over them in avionics suite(Raptor as case study).
US built 5th gen. fighter jets are still the best in the world today. So if you find people rushing for american's jets, its because they are tested and trusted. The chinese are really trying, their MRAP the military just procure point to a job "well done". I believe if the US is not selling to us , then

RUSSIA SHOULD BE ON OUR SECOND CHOICE OF LIST
with pakistan coming last as choice.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
Missy89:

What future project? I doubt the radar would be as good as that of the Chinese and Pakistan version anyway. the only way you can get an insight to the tech is to have them built in Nigeria. that is how the Chinese knew how to build their own version of Su27 and how Pakistan could build their own J17.

Deals like this will include a long term maintenance and training program for the pilots that would fly it and the engineers that will maintain it. If they agree to train local engineers to maintain it the long term, Those engineers will sure have an idea on how to maintain a new aircraft but not how to build it.

If they are getting 2 squadrons, thats between 25 to 50 aircrafts. That wont be enough incentive for the Chinese/Pakistan to show you the tech. maybe if we are buying like 5 squadrons, they may send you 3 ready made squadrons and work on building a plant in Nigeria for the remaining 2. But then again, 2 squadron should just be enough for the whole country

You have a point there. Far better than the alpha Crap.

Nah, I think technology was included in the initial deal. And that is a huge deal for a country like Nigeria that can't build anything. At least, if they can't use it now, it might come handy in future, when the country starts churning out real intellectuals. Also, it is 4th gen aircraft and they is nice, regardless of its capabilities.

Technology can't be lost - and getting Engineers to show you how to use the technology is the easiest part of the puzzle. Two squadrons, with probably 10 of the 4th gen Sukhois should be enough.
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by ebiskem(m): 6:08pm On Dec 03, 2014
Horus:

Terrorist organisations have the capability to fly planes. Remember 9/11 at the World Trade Center

Terrorists didn't fly 9/11 aircraft from an airport. They simply hijacked it in the airspace for their evil intents
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by BlackBaron: 6:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
So what is the true 'ferry range' of the JF-17. In almost all pictures I've seen, they can be seen equipped with at least 3 1000L fuel tanks. Therefore, conclusion is that most of the current range we know is WITH drop tanks attached. What then is the true range?

Consider also that it uses a RD 33 engine (same as the MIG 29), single engine. Attaching drop tanks leaves us with more hardpoints, though I reckon it'll be used and maintained well within the radius of the current BH issue.

If the range was as stated, why did the Chinese also go one leg over considering it would have been more suited to cover the Chinese mainland over the J-10
Re: Nigeria Finalises Deal For 1 To 2 Squadrons Of JF-17 Fighter Jets by Missy89(f): 6:14pm On Dec 03, 2014
SirShymex:

Nah, I think technology was included in the initial deal. And that is a huge deal for a country like Nigeria that can't build anything. At least, if they can't use it now, it might come handy in future, when the country starts churning out real intellectuals. Also, it is 4th gen aircraft and they is nice, regardless of its capabilities.

Technology can't be lost - and getting Engineers to show you how to use the technology is the easiest part of the puzzle. Two squadrons, with probably 10 of the 4th gen Sukhois should be enough.

Thrust Vectoring, Fly by wire, super cruise etc that are usually on 4th gen aircraft are proliferated technologies. All you need is funding and research to master them. We dont have to buy a J17 to have them. Why should china want to share their Radar and electronics /avionic (core tech of a 4th gen) technologies with Nigeria because they are buying a few dozen planes?

If every manufacturer does that, there wont be any more planes to sell.
That is why most countries manufacture different specs for their export versions. (they are already designing a new version of the J17)

If we buy 10 more Sukhois with 2 squadrons of J17. How are they going to maintain those birds?. that is like 45-50 4th gen Aircraft! almost 3 Squadrons!!

And i think this is our first fly by wire plane thou. i might be wrong. Its always a jolly ride for the pilots with fly by wire planes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dubai House: FFK Tweets To SaharaReporters / Governor Udom Escapes Death As Church Building Collapses In Akwa Ibom / Protests In Ibadan Over Alleged Secession Agenda Of Yoruba Nation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.