Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. (63357 Views)

The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin / Tade Ipadeola Wins 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature / <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 2:01am On Feb 14, 2015
Back home, Tade watched as the country's leaders plunge themselves in the usual political drama. Yet another Minister was accused of stealing Government funds and was been queried by the Anti-Corruption body in charge of such cases, in full glare of the National Assembly. Of course this was due to a dare by the opposition party to conduct the investigation in such a manner.

Tade continued to watch the drama,shaking his head in disgust. His dad, often absent-minded at the affairs of his son, looked at him.

"What is happening?" He asked Tade.

"They are questioning the Minister of Education, sir." Tade looked at his father, surprised and a bit intrigued that his dad took interest in the situation. He was known to be apolitical.

He sat down and observed the proceedings.

"What do you think will happen?" He asked Tade.

"Well, they will release him eventually, isn't it this country? Tade said a bit consciously, wondering what entered his father's head. Am sure that even if there was concrete evidence of his guilt, nothing will happen. We are too used to corruption to deal with it."

"Hmn, we are too used to corruption." Wale said,feeling his brow. "It was not always like this, especially during my time. Government officials were honest and loyal to the course of improving this country. Petroleum was not really sought after like that due to the stunts the U.S and U.K pulled on people. Our people's eyes began to get clear, as they say and we starting electing good leaders who brought up policies that improved the country. Then someone sabotaged the U.S storage of shale oil and money started coming towards crude oil. Then we lost it."

"That's what all those activists say. Tade said, trying to feel relevant in the discussion. They are always against the 'Capitalist' economy we are running."

"Can they do better? His father replied. Tade, don't allow their sweet talk to deceive you. Most of them are as corrupt as the leaders they profess to hate, and the few good ones are surrounded by those who just want a shot at power. If anything, don't join them, especially when they protest, because they use the innocent, blinded ones among you as shields against any aggression while they hide somewhere. The best that happens to them is that they enter an office and do worse. We just seem to have a problem with handling power." He concluded.

"Tade! He stood up. Be careful of those activists wherever they are." Wale walked away, leaving his son to enjoy the hearing
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 4:08pm On Feb 14, 2015
rapmike:
Thanks Harjibolar and Tholuwani.

I do need constructive criticism if there is.

Enjoy.

No problem boss, it will surely come when its time
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Meel: 7:14pm On Feb 14, 2015
9ce one bro. Waiting for update
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Feraz(m): 11:23pm On Feb 14, 2015
konnichiwa rapmike kun! Long time! smiley
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by eitsei(m): 7:09am On Feb 15, 2015
finally caught up with u guys.... diz is a captivating story....more plz
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:56am On Feb 16, 2015
Tade watched more drama on TV as each day passed, getting more convinced of how annoyingly corrupt the government had turned. He found it hopeless and chose to turn his attention to the less mundane things of life; Salisu and Shukurat's love affair was on top of such a list, the whole issue becoming comically serious.

Not that he cared though. Like he really did not care, for he had the company of his friends. Most of them, including Shade were his friends on BBM and Shade, if not any one else pestered him with messages and 'hellos' and 'his' and what have you. Made was the next in line and so on.

The new session came quickly enough and he arrived at school in the way many people expected, fresh as ever. Everyone seemed to have made it to the next level; Malik and Andrew were already done with their school work and were clearing up things.

Tade soon got a new place on campus through the usual 'selling' practice- illegal yet much in practice due to the amazing lack of hostel accomodation. He and Chukwuma landed in the same room, yes the same Chukwuma that was quiet and taciturn.

Yet he saw a great change in this lad, for Chukwuma had become a Class representative!
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by kingphilip(m): 12:06pm On Feb 16, 2015
Yet he saw a great change in this lad, for Chukwuma
had become a Class representative!

hope it's a lasting change for d better
Mike nice piece do continue I'm following
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:16am On Feb 17, 2015
Chapter six

It was the shock of the moment, as Chuks never looked the part. Tade did not know about it until a fair-skinned babe came asking after him.

"Please is this Chukwuma Onye's room?" She asked with a precise, faked British accent. Probably she was trying to learn how to speak with such accent. Tade sized her up, wondering what lady will come to a guy's room and no greet before asking questions. She even had the audacity to raise her nose at him before asking that question.

"Will you answer me!" The lady said aggressively. Tade obviously pissed off, slammed the door at her, leaving the poor girl sobbing and calling Chuks.

"Na wa o! Korede, Tade's current roommate said. So na so your friend go come get girlfriend before you. You sabi say him score na 2-1 wey you still dey play 2-0." Korede was a tall, fair skinned dude, who despite his humble background was tastefully polished in school, courtesy of his girlfriend who is a wealthy half-caste running a beauty spa in Victoria Gardens in Lagos.

Wetin concern you? Tade answered, obviously unimpressed with the angle that he was bringing to the convo. Made had just 'acquired' a girlfriend too, and that one had no discretion in his behavior about it.

The two guys continued arguing about the issue until Chuks suddenly showed up, carrying some papers with him.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2015
Tade don enter gbege... .

Anyways, who is Korede abeg, or I'm missing something here o

And e b like say, you dey rush this story. Take your time to draft something lengthy, don't let the urge for updating fill your mind...

My token thou
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Ipheyemmy01(m): 10:22am On Feb 18, 2015
Nice work bro. lots of love.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
harjibolar10:
Tade don enter gbege... .

Anyways, who is Korede abeg, or I'm missing something here o

And e b like say, you dey rush this story. Take your time to draft something lengthy, don't let the urge for updating fill your mind...

My token thou

At the bolded, you probably missed this:
Korede, Tade's current roommate
and this:
Korede was a tall, fair skinned dude, who despite his humble background was tastefully polished in school, courtesy of his girlfriend who is a wealthy half-caste running a beauty spa in Victoria Gardens in Lagos.

As for the length, I am mainly updating with a phone and its not that easy, though i will work on it.

Thanks a lot, i appreciate your comments
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 10:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
rapmike:

At the bolded, you probably missed this:
Korede, Tade's current roommate
and this:
Korede was a tall, fair skinned dude, who despite his humble background was tastefully polished in school, courtesy of his girlfriend who is a wealthy half-caste running a beauty spa in Victoria Gardens in Lagos.

As for the length, I am mainly updating with a phone and its not that easy, though i will work on it.

Thanks a lot, i appreciate your comments
No problem boss, keep em coming

Under +stand+ed
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2015
Feraz:
konnichiwa rapmike kun! Long time! smiley

Sorry for taking so long to recognize you....
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2015
As soon as Korede saw Chuks, he looked up and shouted.

"Omo Aye! Omo agba! The coded one!" Korede said, jumping up and waving his hands in the air, shocking both Tade and Chukwuma. Tade looked at his roommate, stupefied at the incredible change of mood and 'agberoism' that Korede showed at the moment. Chuks was confused at the sudden 'hailing' by Korede.

"No come form for me, your babe don come check you. If you see as the babe dey cry as she no se you ehn, you go sabi say na true love." Korede continued. Tade just managed to suppress a laugh.

"Can you tell me what is happening?" Chuks said, looking at both lads with a blank face.

"Some girl came asking after you. Tade started, seeing that Korede had quietened up. She was rude so I just slammed the door to her face, then she started crying........"

"Saying how she can't do without you, how your 'thing' sweet die, how you used to rub her......"

"Korede!!!" Chuks and Tade said together. "Stop lying for Africa abeg. Tade added. She just cried abeg."

"How does she look like?"

"She was a bit tall and fair with......."

"Medium sized bo!obs and a good fleshy ass. Korede jumped in again. You know I saw her." He told a shocked Tade.

"Wetin concern you?" Tade asked him.

"How fair was she? Was she fair like albino or white or just fair?"

"She was very fair, in fact she was white. white as the sun....."

"The sun is yellow not white, Korede. Even I know that."

"Tade don't interrupt me abeg. She was fair like the day......" Tade shook his head at the strange similes coming from his roomie's mouth

"and terrible as the dawn." Chuks interrupted, stunning both of them.

"She is not to be touched or followed. And she is not my girlfriend!"

"Iffahear!"

"She came to submit an assignment and if you have not been so rude Tade, she would have......."

"Submit her assignment in your room!" Both Tade and Korede echoed. You be class rep? "How she sabi here sef?"

"None of your concern and yes, am a class representative!" Chuks said. "Now if you don't mind, I need some time to think. These assignments have waited for too long here. Toke must have been worried."

"So if she is not your girlfriend, I fit scope am be that?" Korede asked.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 9:26pm On Feb 19, 2015
Oga, I dey feel you

Keep em coming
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by kingphilip(m): 1:32am On Feb 20, 2015
rapmike:

"So if she is not your girlfriend, I fit scope am be that?" Korede asked.
that awkward moment wen u r trying to protect ur self esteem and ur friend says this

lemme wait for chuks reaction though

nice one rapmike please come continue
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 9:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
"She has a boyfriend." Chuks said, causing a free face fall for Korede.

"But I can try my......"

"Guy, she get boyfriend, you get girlfriend, why you wan dey chase am? Tade asked him. Toyin never do you?"

"Please, Tade let me be! This one wey you bring Toyin matter come here, I dey wonder if she dey pay you make you dey form 'monitoring spirit' on top of my matter."

"Its not even possible sef for you to date Toke. Chuks cut in. She is dating Nightcrawler."

At the mention of the name, Tade's skin tingled. Korede was defiant.

"That one no concern me, if she likes make she dey date Daybreaker, I no send..."

"Better send! Tade interfered. I don hear of am for department. He is the current capone of the Ravens, and he is second to the overlord of the Ravens."

"So make I dey fear abi? Abeg I go see as I go handle am, my own be say I go chop my own comot from am."

"Korede!!" Tade and Chuks shouted. "When will you control your d*ck? That thing will kill you one day!" Tade added.

"E she! Let it kill me, but the ladies love it, especially Toyin."

"Hmn, Toke is different from your regular babe. She is very saucy and vengeful. I have seen what she does to guys that use her." Chuks said. "Then Nightcrawler is a very jealous guy and he has spies everywhere watching what happens to her, who talks to her, e.t.c . Its suicidal to date such a girl, especially for a person like you that has no cover."

"See, all that one no concern me, what concerns me is to enter the place. I just imagine how fresh her toto go look. Like make I ....."

"Korede!!!"

"What?! Na babe she be, she no be beast, abi she be mammy-water?"

"Korede, your thirst for women is unsatisable! I don remove my hand for your matter!" Tade said.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 5:59pm On Feb 21, 2015
Oya keep em coming
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 12:09pm On Feb 22, 2015
The week rode on, with Korede trying his luck with Toke, the girl who came to see Chuks. As Chuks warned him, the girl was proving stubborn and saucy, despite all his best efforts. Korede was soon getting depressed over the issue, with Tade and Chuks now trying to offer counsel to him.

"Korede, free the babe!"

"Can't you just get it? That babe has a boyfriend!"

"Make Nightcrawler no catch you! I don tell you oh!"

And so on they went. Korede grunted and left the room, causing some giggles across the room.

Meanwhile Toke was moving closer to Chuks, for she needed help in her courses and the class representative was the best lead she had. As Chuks knew what was at stake, he made the relationship one-lined, making sure she does not even enter platonic level with him. However this did not stop two unknown men from trailing him down and warning him about Toke. He immediately knew who sent them and nodded sheepishly, while making mental notes in his mind. The corresponding weeks gave enough evidence to Toke that he had changed, Chuks started bantering her off to other intelligent but awkward students who did not like her behavior, he avoided any occasion of long conversation and he now starting watching his back, making sure that she or no one else was trailing her.

It came to a head on a certain Thursday, when she went to his room.

"Good morning, where is Chuks?" She asked a stunned Tade, who took a few minutes before answering that he was not back from class.

"I will wait for him here!" She said defiantly while standing outside. Tade did not send her cause, so he closed the door and went to sit down. Korede soon came along and tried to 'toast' her, receiving a slap for his troubles. It was not up to thirty minutes after the slap that both of them heard her voice, this time considerably raised in anger.

"Chuks, why are you avoiding me?"
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 2:40pm On Feb 22, 2015
Oya keep em coming

Thanks for the update
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Tholuwani(f): 7:42pm On Feb 22, 2015
I fear for korede o,wetin be his problem sef,well done rapmike
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by kingphilip(m): 9:08pm On Feb 22, 2015
korede ancestors don de flash am from d great beyond

probably this will awaken the activism beast in tade to wipe off cultism

nice one Mike please continue
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:40pm On Feb 22, 2015
Chuks ignored her question and walked into the room, anger steaming up. Toke followed, much to the amusement of Tade and Korede.

"Chuks, didn't you hear me? Why are you avoiding me?"

"Toke, don't you have common sense to see that I don't want to talk to you? Or are you too dumb to realize that its not safe for me to talk to you? I have told you to meet Shola and co, yet you are here shouting at me. Who do you think you are that you can shout at anyone?"

"Chuks, answer my question now. I don't need answers later. Why are you....."

"Toke, leave my room now!" Chuks boomed at her, dragging her by the hand and 'throwing' her out of the house before she could blink.

"Chuks, am sorry, please talk to me." She started crying as Chuks locked the door and went straight for his bed, blocking his ears with his pillow. Tade and Korede watched with keen interest.

After a few minutes, she stopped and picked herself to go. Korede watched her leave, his eyes following every bounce of her as5. He then turned to Chuks.

"Why are you treating her like that, Chuks?"

"What's your problem, Korede?" Chuks replied.

"See, I know she has her behaviour, but what you did is not right. Dodging such a beauty when it evident that she is in distress is not chivalry, Chuks."

"What concerns you?" Chuks replied, looking at Korede like he will slice his head off at the moment.

"Korede e don do." Tade stepped in. "Chuks, what's wrong with you? You don't behave like this to Korede, nor do you lose your cool like that. What happened?"

Chuks looked at Tade and saw concern. "Her boyfriend sent guys to warn me a few days ago."

"Eh? Hope say they no touch you?" Tade said with some shock. Even Korede's face altered to shoe some concern.

"Nothing. They just waylaid me on the way to hostel and warned me. Since then, I sorted her out, not that I abandoned her."

"But why will they just come and warn you if you had nothing to do with her?" Korede asked just as Tade's face turned scarlet under his dark skin. Tade was about attacking him when Chuks raised his hand, suggesting calm.

"She had been taking extra classes for BCH from me, since she had issues with the course. They must have seen us together,that's why they warned me."

"I understand you." Korede began. "But its no reason for you to avoid her. At least you should tell her what is happening, so that she can sort herself with her boyfriend. Its her education that is at stake here."

"I will support Korede here." Tade said. "Its not healthy, the way you are taking it with her. You will still meet her on this campus and she looked pretty hurt that you are avoiding her. I suggest you tell her, unless you have another motive for seeing her."

"Noooo! Chuks said. If you guys feel I should tell her, then I will tell her. He brightened up. I have some work to do."
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 3:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
Oga rapmike, you gat a nice work doing here, I dey feel you

Keep em coming
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Feraz(m): 12:02am On Feb 24, 2015
rapmike:

Sorry for taking so long to recognize you....
No problem. Just stopped by to greet you!
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 2:16am On Feb 24, 2015
The month floated by idly, the boring rote of classes, hostel, party and classes again made it a burden. He was already in a couple of associations but had nothing concrete. The only thing that interested and bothered him were the ladies in his life.

Not that he was double dating, in fact he was dating nobody. The problem was that he had three girls competing for his attention. Shade was the first one in mind. Since that day in her house( or Lekan's house), she had sort of warmed her way into his heart, they had become fast friends and cool buddies, gisting on a lot of things including their plans and relationship and sex. Yes, they talked about sex and at times they did sex text and phone intimacy, Shade often initiating it and Tade responding. He knew that if he asked her out, she will at least consider it, but he threw it out of his mind, especially as she had a boyfriend already.

Then there is Wande. The Black Brass leader. She had taken an interest in Tade since the day they had faculty colloquim and he had to defend his classmates who were accused of been rude and noisy. He made some quality contributions alongside his apologies, drawing praise for his maturity. Since then, she had been tailing him, trying to get as close as possible. Tade obliged her, not because he had interest in her, far from it, but he did not want to wake up one morning and see himself bleeding from a knife stab or in the hospital. Since his secondary school, he had known that ladies can be difficult in relationships and Wande was no different, plus the fact that she leads a cult.

Then Sophie was in the picture. She, like Shade had a boyfriend, difference was that the boy was in and was already known for cutting across people's chest if crossed. In contrast Sophie was a meek, humble and kind girl, in addition to her beauty of course, who was targeted by the lecturer of the course she took in the previous year. The imp of a man failed her because she refused to sleep with him, leading to her boyfriend finishing the man off during the break. Despite the fact that she was a session older, she treated everyone in his class with respect and kindness, endearing everyone to her. Due to her boyfriend's status, people often feared and loved her presence in equal measure, though they showed the fear part in her presence but speak good of her when she is away. It was only a few people like Tade that associated with her up close, and like a leper who has just got a new friend, she stayed close to them. Tade felt some sort of closeness to her but cautioned himself for obvious reasons.

He was currently playing everything in his mind when someone tapped him from behind.

"Wetin you dey think for there?" Made said.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:18am On Feb 26, 2015
Tade hissed before pouting his mouth towards Made.
"Why you just come sneak on me that? You sabi say na correct slap I wan land you before? "

"Wetin I do na? I no even sneak, na just play I dey play with you. Your mind no even dey here."

"So? Wetin bring you come?" Tade eyed him nastily.

"Guy, Guy, take am easy na! We dey fight?"

"Yes, we dey fight!" Tade replied, obviously lying. He knew what Made will say if he says the truth.

He will simply say: "Get a girlfriend!"

Tade was not ready to hear that horse shi.t!

"No vex, me dey think about assignment." He finally apologised to Made.

"Easy oh! Made said. Na so person dey start to dey mad. Na just assignment oh." Then Made started gisting about school and the babes for im department, Tade half-listening. Then he asked about Chuks.

"I hear say babe dey fight over am. Na true?"

"Made! Made!! Made!!! You don come with your gossip!"

"Wetin you dey listen before? Abeg na true or lie?"

"I no sabi, ask Chuks when you see him."

"Okay oh! He made to leave. Before I go, somebody said I should give you this." He brought out a piece of paper, obviously full scalp sheet. "Take."

"Who give you the paper?" Tade demanded.

"Na one guy give me, im talk say na babe send am. Wetin be my concern?" Made said as he left
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by purpinkx(m): 9:50am On Feb 26, 2015
Following closely sire
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 12:43am On Feb 27, 2015
His curiosity grew as he stared at the leaving body of Made, until he was out of sight, then he opened the paper, which was previously sealed with candle wax.

It was ......a kind of love letter.

"Tade,
I know you are single and I don't care if you are in a relationship, but I like you and I want to be your girl. I don't know why you are avoiding me but I don't care. What I care about is the well-being of our relationship, which is none existent for now. If you keep resisting any effort from me to get close to you,.................. figure out the rest."

Tade looked with horror, and then interest at the letter. He knew who could write this.

It had to be Wande.

Meanwhile, far away on Ede road, a meeting is happening..............

"Who did you see with Toke?" a young handsome man bearing a scar across his eye asked.

"Na one bush boy dem call Korede." Another one answered. "The idi.ot even had the nerve to openly date her."

"Blade, Kira, go send this imp a message so he will have a taste of me, Nightcrawler!"
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:57am On Feb 27, 2015
"When shall we strike, sir?" A light skinned dude with a sly smile said.

"Two days time, Kira."

"But we have that senator's work to do on that day, don't we?" Blade, a short, dark dude with excess hair on his body asked.

"Stop shying away from such work, Blade." Kira told him. "You may soon need us to do such for you."

"Kira, mind you business."

"Blade, I was just........"

"Enough, both of you!" Nightcrawler whispered at them. "We are in a busy road in the full glare of the day, do you have some manners? If you speak any more, I will have your heads. We will send the message next week!"

Meanwhile, Korede was doing some 'serious' business with Toke.

"You see, am a very nice person." He stated. He had just brought her some ice-cream from Fivers as they walked around SUB.

"So?"

"I love you, Toke. You see, I can d anything for you, even lay my life for you. And my dad is rich and successful. He is well connected, so I will be well-placed. If you don't reject me now, you won't......"

"Will you just shush it there, Korede! Who do you think you are? You, this church rat that can hardly afford #500 Ice-cream! You that is living on Toyin...."

"Forget about....."

"Shut up! If I hear anything from you again, I swear I will punch you to hell and back" She shook her fists. "Better leave me alone, Korede. You can't handle me, not to talk of my boyfriend." She walked away swiftly, swagging her as5 around.

"I swear, I go still tap that as5!" Korede said. He did not know that he had other things to worry about.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Meel: 11:11am On Feb 28, 2015
Roll on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Twist Of Fate. / TORN (based On A True Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.