Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,577 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. (63424 Views)

The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin / Tade Ipadeola Wins 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature / <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 7:15pm On Feb 28, 2015
Chuks had advised him against his chase, but Korede was heedless and unrepentant, so Chuks had freed him.

On Monday morning, Tade was reading a magazine when a call came through.

"Who is this?" Tade picked the call.

"Please, are you Tade?"

"Yes, this is Tade. Can I help you?"

"Your roommate has been found in the Health Sciences, seriously injured. He is been rushed to the hospital, so he asked me to call you."

"Which roommate?" Tade asked.

"Korede. We found him on the road to......."

"Yes, yes I heard you the first time. Which hospital is he in?"

"OAUTHC."

An hour later, Tade was at the emergency ward, looking at Korede, a bit sorry for him but not surprised at where he landed.

Korede face looked like a bag of buns so finely placed to resemble a face, his eyes were heavy laden with stress and his hair was recently combed, like it was riddled with dirt previously. His left hand was already connected to a drip, while his right hand was on plaster, obviously broken. His two legs were in similar condition as the right hand and were consequently supported by ropes tied to the ceiling

"What happened?"

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by eitsei(m): 8:16pm On Feb 28, 2015
eni a wi fun oba je o gbo....
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Tholuwani(f): 10:33pm On Feb 28, 2015
eitsei:
eni a wi fun oba je o gbo....

abi o u get am jare
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 2:52am On Mar 01, 2015
Korede was just looking at Tade sheepishly, unable to talk. A nurse came in.

"The best you can do for now is to pray for him and visit him. His jaws were broken and he has to be in that position for weeks." She chipped in.

Tade then noticed his mouth was been supported by something that looked like iron thongs. He shook his head and left.

During the next few weeks, he and Chuks showed up at Korede's side in the hospital, waiting for weeks. Finally, when it was barely two weeks to exams, Korede could talk.

"What happened, Korede?" Chuks asked.

"Omo, as e happen I no fit talk. I dey waka go hostel as I just finish that assignment wey I tell you that lecturer give my class. Na so I see Gozie, one of my classmate. Na so we dey talk then one bros come joined us. As we wan reach the roundabout, the bros come slap me one heavy slap ehn, e too heavy. Gozie sef run, but as one pick race, another bro come join rack me come down. They come drag me go the bush wey dey the other bus-stop wey near SUB, yeeeh!...." Korede yelped as his arm started to hurt, much like it was burning.

Chuks and Tade tried to settle him down. Then the nurse of earlier, now known as Nurse Nike came in.

"You guys are still bothering my patient. Oya, make una go, e don do." She shooed both Tade and Chuks together as they left Korede.

As soon as they reached outside, they both burst into laughter.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by eitsei(m): 6:00am On Mar 01, 2015
Tholuwani:

abi o u get am jare
na so im case b
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 01, 2015
Lool nice story *following* cheesy
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:52pm On Mar 01, 2015
Shebi we tell am? Chuks said amidst all the laughter as they found their way back to the hostel.

Meanwhile, Nightcrawler was in Awolowo hall, enjoying a political argument that was ongoing when a text message came in.

"Message still in custody of the receiver. Receiver still in the trash bin."

Nightcrawler smiled. He won't take any rubbish, especially from a non-initiate like that Korede.

Not that Toke could fall for him. He knew the kind of lady she was and had it in his mind that Korede will not smell an inch near her cooking pot, not to talk of having sex. The one that was a threat was her class rep, the one they call Chuks the Quiet one.

That's why he needed to send the message through Korede.

Meanwhile at Fajuyi hall, Chuks got an incoming call from Toke.

"Chuks, please see me."

Chuks looked around in fear and when he did not see her, he heaved a sigh of relief.

"What do you want from me?"

"Chuks, I need help with my work. Please I don't know what I did to you, but am sorry."

"Okay, where are you?"

"I am in Moremi."

"You expect me to find my way to Moremi? Please I am busy."

"Okay, let me meet you wherever you are."

He sighed again. "Let's meet at Fajuyi cafe."
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 2:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
1bkaye,Tholuwani,eitsei and others who have commented, thanks for you comments.

Constructive criticism are welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 01, 2015
Your story has definitely piqued my interest grin smiley

Perhaps lengthen your updates? Rather than posting in small segments smiley
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:02pm On Mar 01, 2015
1bkaye:
Your story has definitely piqued my interest grin smiley

Perhaps lengthen your updates? Rather than posting in small segments smiley

Thanks. What exactly piqued your interest?

About the length, I will try and improve on it.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
rapmike:

Thanks. What exactly piqued your interest?

About the length, I will try and improve on it.
Straight to the point, university setting (subjects I can relate to) and funny lol
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Ipheyemmy01(m): 11:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
You are really doing a great work bro, more grease to your elbow.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:52am On Mar 03, 2015
As she walked towards Fajuyi hall, Toke wondered what happened to a previously sound relationship.

She had known Chuks since his first year and they became fast friends. What attracted her to him initially was his quiet demeanor, coupled with the fact that he was always doing well in tests and exams.

But as she moved closer to Chuks during the second semester of that session, she saw more of him and was fascinated at his ideals and dreams. Yes, for Chuks had a dream of wonderful proportions. His dream was to become a doctor and then join Doctors without Borders, a non-governmental and highly effective group who go around distressed countries of the world and offer medical services. She could see the gilt in his eyes whenever he spoke of those dreams and she knew that she had a man there.

But then she met Chinedu, her senior in school who was more outspoken and forward. He came across to her as a goal-getter and a strong guy who won't take a no nor will take nonsense from a lady. Chuks, on the other hand was never interested in her to start with and so she chose Yomi, just to discover that he was a cultist and no only that, but that he was the current capone of the Ravens, going by the name Nightcrawler.

Initially this session, Chuks was still close to her, finding time to gist or talk to her despite his role as class rep. But all of a sudden he withdrew, delegating all the explanations he was giving her as per class work to other nerds, who honestly did not give a shii about her. She needed to speak to Chuks and know what was happening.

She needed him now more than ever.

As she stepped into Fajuyi hall, Chuks dragged her away from the hostel.

"Let's walk to academics, White house to be exact."
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:28pm On Mar 03, 2015
As Chuks increased his sprightly steps virtually dragging her, he thought of how soon he wanted the discussion to be done with. He knew he owed her a sort of explanation and he will give it to her today.

He walked her to the highest part of White house, where few students come to and then sat her on the stairs to one of the mini-lecture rooms there. He also sat down.

"What do you want from me?"

"Chuks, I don't know what I did to you, but I don't like the way you are avoiding me."

"Is that all?" He eyed her.

"Chuks, please don't do like that! I missed you, I miss our conversations, our dreams, how you used to help me with my assignment. I miss your voice, your smell, everything about you. The guys you threw at me are all a bore."

"But you have friends before you met me Toke, so that does not fly!"

"Chuks! What's wrong with you?" Toke's anger was beginning to fly. "Is it because I am trying to repair what damage that has been in our friendship? Are you taking me for granted?"

"Toke, that's not the point here......."

"Its the point, Chuks! What's it about you guys that you toy with a girl's feelings for you? I liked you for you, not because of anything else. I liked your dreams and aspirations and persona. You were the only friend who seemed to have a future, something bigger than parties and popularity and so on! God! You are quite annoying!"

Chuks looked at Toke, tears voluntarily coming from his eyes. He never expected this outburst.

As she was about to leave, ignorant of his tears, Chuks held her back.

"Toke, please don't go" He called her back, making her to face him. "I know I have been unfair to you, am sorry."

"But why? Just tell me why?"

"Its because of your boyfriend."

"Which one? Nightcrawler?" Toke asked in disbelief. "He does not know about our friendship."

"He will know, Toke. Its like you don't know this guy, he has spies everywhere. Some weeks back they attacked Korede for pestering you and to God who made me, he has not come out of the hospital."

"That's good for that one. Na only me dey market?" She giggled, almost forcing a smile from his face.

I" can't afford that situation, that's why I did what I did. Toke, you don't know what you did to me today. I never realised the depth of affection you had for me." Chuks then held her hands gently,like a guy swimming in love.

"Toke, I promise that I will remain your friend and I won't take your emotions for granted. But I can't do that with my life hanging on a thread. Its not like I want to marry you or something."

"Straightforward as usual" Toke smiled. "So we are friends, I take it?"

"Friends we are." Chuks said as he hugged her, not unaware of a certain guy on shades watching them.

"But please, explain to your husband."

"I don hear you." She said as she hurried down the building. Chuks was about leaving when he saw the guy talking on the phone.

He knew something was not right.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 03, 2015
Nobody should harm my Chuks o cheesy
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 6:57pm On Mar 03, 2015
1bkaye:
Nobody should harm my Chuks o cheesy
Even at the virge of harm abi?

You better tell ya chucks, to dey go book bird beside him friend for hospital, before its too late

Make I use this space say my thanks to rapmike....
Thanks for the update Bross
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Tholuwani(f): 7:47pm On Mar 03, 2015
Eeeeh something is about to happen,i fear o
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 04, 2015
harjibolar10:

Even at the virge of harm abi?

You better tell ya chucks, to dey go book bird beside him friend for hospital, before its too late

Make I use this space say my thanks to rapmike....
Thanks for the update Bross
lool
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 3:01am On Mar 04, 2015
Chuks quickly charged at the fellow, making sure he did not escape.

"Hey, you... Who were you calling?"

"Its none of your business." He replied.

"Yes its my business, especially as you were watching me and that lady while calling. And I ask, who were you calling?"

"I said its none of........................" Chuks did not allow him to finish the statement before lunging at him, catching the fellow off-guard. Despite his quiet demeanor, Chuks was agile and had fought in local boxing gyms, so it was easier than eating chocolate to snatch the dude's phone.

"If you don't want trouble, return that phone..........."

"To you, abi?" Chuks looked at him with contempt as he searched for the last number called and then dialed it.

"Mosquito, are you done with it?" The voice from the other end spoke.

"So you don't even have a decent name, even for a cultist, Mos-quit-o." Chuks said, emphasizing the name.

"Who is this?"

"I am the person you are spying on, Nightcrawler."

"Listen to me, ant. If you........."

"No, YOU listen to me" Chuks interrupted. "I don't know hwy you think so, but I have nothing intimate to do with Toke. She needs help with one of her courses and I am helping her as a class rep and her friend. If you were nicer than you, you would have realised it by now."

"However, since you now realise it, I will make myself clear. I don't have anything serious to do with Toke, If not for the fact that we were friends before she met you, I won't be a mile close to her. So, stop been an insecure child and grow up!" He dropped the call and tossed the phone to Mosquito.

"Don't follow me again." He warned.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 6:54am On Mar 04, 2015
That's short thou, but keep em coming

BTW, has chucks book bed ni?
Abi watin he dey think self?

And may be that guy has nothing to do with nightcrawler boya nightwalker si ni
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 4:52am On Mar 07, 2015
Nobody asked after me cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Am not updating again until I see comments.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by crazo(m): 10:43am On Mar 07, 2015
rapmike:

Where is rapmike undecided undecided undecided grin grin grin
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:46pm On Mar 07, 2015
Chapter Seven

Tade woke up suddenly. It looked like a dream whatever he saw, but it reminded him of his present predicament.

His present predicament with Wande.

He saw her a day ago and tried dodging her again. However she cornered him.

"Tade, come here" She ordered him. When he refused to answer her, she moved quickly to hold him back.

"What's wrong with you? You behave like you don't know me, you refuse to acknowledge my advances and now you avoid me again?"
He just looked at her like a person who had just been tranquilized.

"Tade, is it that I am not desirable enough or you just don't like me? Answer me Tade!"

Tade would have liked to tell her to gather her sh*t together and stop bothering him, but considering that she is a cult leader, that would be like sending an open invitation to all sorts of harassment. Besides, Korede's case was still fresh in his mind, so he decided to play it cool.

"Wande, its not like I hate you. Its just that I can't really date you."

"Why? Why Tade? Am I not attractive?"

"Wande, its not about beauty. The fact is that I barely know you and I can't trust you, not with the reputation you have."

"As a cult member? Tell me, are cult members animals? Are they not human beings?"

"I don't see it like that Tade's voice rose up. You guys think you are cool, well you are not! To me, many of you are just savage beasts in human flesh."

"So am not human enough to date you, Tade? Is that it?" Wande ran off, bursting out in tears.

"Noo, its not like...." Tade's voice trailed off as he watched her leave.

Remembering what transpired made him to start wondering how heartless he could be. Wande was a lady, cult member or not and it must have hurt her to have a guy reject her, especially with the current circumstances and what he said. He then did something that normally he won't consider smart or wise.

He picked his phone and called a number. It rang a few times before the owner picked it up.

"Wande, am sorry" He started
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 7:20pm On Mar 07, 2015
Oya, let's go there

First, Korede, chucks and now, Tade

Hope, that Wande understand him thou

Welcome back Oga boss
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 07, 2015
rapmike:

Lol I missed you 'oney cheesy
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:29pm On Mar 07, 2015
1bkaye:
Lol I missed you 'oney cheesy

I miss you too sweety.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Adesege(m): 8:42am On Mar 08, 2015
No let ur head swell o.
rapmike:

I miss you too sweety.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 3:21am On Mar 09, 2015
"What are you sorry about?"

"I am sorry for calling you inhuman. Even though I have somewhat being affected by cult attacks, I should not have judged you the way I did. I don't know about your past and I have no right to attack you that way."

"Uhmm." Wande said, though he heard her sniff.

"Were you crying?" He asked, genuinely concerned.

"No, yes... Yes I was crying" She answered back. "But am okay now. Tade, I want to get a reply."

"What reply?" Tade said, even though he knew what she was asking for.

"About my question now."

"Well, I don't know you, at least you are not the Wande I knew in school. Besides, I have been warned not to get close to you."

"By Shade abi?" Wande said. "That b*tch!"

"Not by Shade, wait why are you expecting her to do such thing?" He asked.

"Because she is a b*tch with a capital B. She will say so, after dumping me for that half-baked boy called Lekan."

"Dumping you? What do you mean?"

Wande laughed hysterically. "So she did not tell you all this while? Don't bother on how I know about you guys, I have been following you since you entered campus. She did not tell you that we dated and had fun as sisters, eh? She won't, which Naija babe go tell you that kin history?"

"Eh!" Tade let out a small shout, almost waking his roommates.

"Don't disturb anybody's sleep. Yes, we have dated and done some random sh*t which none of us is proud of really, only that I found Lekan first and tried to polish him, only for her to come and steal him off me."

"Eyah."

"I wish her well, but what annoys me is that she keeps chasing any guy that comes near to me. At least she should give me a chance to have a boyfriend."

"But you are attractive and you have a cult persona that is strong. At least one cult member should be interested in you."

"See, its not like that. Who wants to have his or her mind torn in two places? Or don't you know that if I have a cult guy as a boyfriend that my mind will not be at rest?"

"Really? I thought it suppose to be an advantage."

"Na you dey see am like that, Tade. If im cult group go one assignment and they shoot am nko? Abi you no sabi say cult persin be flesh and blood? What of if na on top mission im come die?"

"Besides as a cult member, your life is always at risk, always. You no sabi when one idiot member go find trouble and you gast defend am. As a leader, me myself gast dey watch my back."

"Eyah. It must be tiring."

"The worst part na if your boyfriend cult group come get kwanta with your own cult group, if the leader no dey mature na wahala be that! Shey you go get mind fight your boyfriend? The thing taya me abeg. Na just the fear and 'respect' people dey give me I dey look, if not, na to comot fully."

"Okay, I will think about your request, Wande" Tade said. "I need to sleep."

"Good night. Thank you."

As soon as Wande hung up, Tade started to think on the conversation and Wande. Why did Shade not tell him all this? What did she exactly do with Wande? Did they 'f*ck' each other? He did not know why this was unsettling him, as he had no plans at the moment to date any of them.

Abi I don dey trip for this Shade of a girl? He asked himself, before shaking his head strongly to the negative.

After some more thinking, he decided to sleep. The day may roll something interesting along his way.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 11:42am On Mar 09, 2015
Tade is kind of naive ooo

Keep 'em coming boss
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 4:23am On Mar 10, 2015
The day brought something new, almost a miracle he dared to say.

Korede was up and running!

He was not yet out of the hospital, but he was now looking stronger and more active. He was even beginning to 'scope' the nurses in the hospital, choosing the student nurses obviously as the older ones were sort of unattractive to him. Even Korede had standards, no matter how cheap they looked.

Tade and Chuks were listening as Korede as he gisted them about the nurses and the patients.

"You see that Nurse Nike ehn, na she dem suppose use as advert for Close-up, na so she dey shine teeth anytime she dey come here. At times I dey wonder if na so dem dey teach them for class."

"The other nurse, Nurse Peju no dey smile unless she wan give persin injection. Even after I follow am yarn, she still dey form say na she dey carry the whole Africa for head. Besides she too dey complain sef. Na so she almost give that baba heart attack the way she dey handle am." He pointed to an old man, obviously sleeping.

"Korede, how are you doing?" Tade asked just to get pause from Korede's talk

"Am fine, isn't that obvious?" Korede replied."They will allow me to leave during the weekend."

"That's cool. You must have missed classes now."

"Yes, I must get lecture notes....."

"No I mean friends, colleagues." It was Chuks that was speaking.

"Abeg, none of them missed me. Abi you see any of them?" Both Tade and Chuks shook their heads. "Na only you two and Toyin that has been here." He then sat up straight and pulled Chuks shirt tightly.

"The people wey beat me say make I pass this paper to you" He brought out a dirty looking paper and gave a surprised Chuks.

Meanwhile, in Motion ground, two 'lovers' were having a heated discussion.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by crazo(m): 7:43am On Mar 10, 2015
Ride on boss
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by harjibolar10(m): 10:19am On Mar 10, 2015
"The people wey beat me say make I pass this paper to you" He brought out a dirty looking paper and gave a surprised Chuks.

That's the awkward moment, when you will wish, Korede forget to bring out that paper

Anyways, I think I know what the content of that paper is

Keep em coming boss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Twist Of Fate. / TORN (based On A True Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.