Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? (22334 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 3:27pm On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

Here's a record of some of the genocide committed by your 'loving' god. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Please show me records of atrocities commited by traditionalists. Mind you,i'm an atheist. But if i ever have to return to religion,i'll return to the gods of my fathers
Seriously, you mean I should start stating all the inhumane traditions and customs coupled with all the demeaning practises your forefathers were brainwashed to practice that has made africa a laughing stock in this 21st century even when technology has put them before your very face? Do you read at all?- I mean, do you know anything about a fraction of africa's history? Do you know the aim of the so called gods of your fathers for you at all? Guy, even if I explain all the texts you highlighted, I can beat my chest and bet that you would'nt understand jack about anything. By the way,I've met atheists before- you are not an atheist. You are just confused with garbage upstairs.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 4:11pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

Seriously, you mean I should start stating all the inhumane traditions and customs coupled with all the demeaning practises your forefathers were brainwashed to practice that has made africa a laughing stock in this 21st century even when technology has put them before your very face? Do you read at all?- I mean, do you know anything about a fraction of africa's history? Do you know the aim of the so called gods of your fathers for you at all? Guy, even if I explain all the texts you highlighted, I can beat my chest and bet that you would'nt understand jack about anything. By the way,I've met atheists before- you are not an atheist. You are just confused with garbage upstairs.
blah,blah,blah...tired noise kid. Soured grapes. Just state for the record some of the atrocities of traditional religions. Not the crap you've been sold which you keep regurgitating

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 4:23pm On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

blah,blah,blah...tired noise kid. Soured grapes. Just state for the record some of the atrocities of traditional religions. Not the crap you've been sold which you keep regurgitating
Loool...it's your type that will start proclaiming in the next 50 years that black africans taught whites how to invent gadgets like the one you are using to display your illiteracy on this thread. Atheist you say? Pffft, you so insult their kind because they are never this clueless about their history.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 4:28pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

Loool...it's your type that will start proclaiming in the next 50 years that black africans taught whites how to invent gadgets like the one you are using to display your illiteracy on this thread. Atheist you say? Pffft, you so insult their kind because they are never this clueless about how their history.
Can you stop prevaricating & respond to the issues raised? Your tirade is getting boring

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 4:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

Can you stop prevaricating & respond to the issues raised? Your tirade is getting boring
Let me just say this- if africa in the 21st century was still practicing all the customs and traditions of centuries ago, people like you would have been long sold as intimacy slaves to gay whites and the gods of your fathers wouldn't blink an eye lid.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 4:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
kiss
koyyess:

Let me just say this- if africa in the 21st century was still practicing all the customs and traditions of centuries ago, people like you would have been long sold as intimacy slaves to gay whites and the gods of your fathers wouldn't blink an eye lid.
Still waiting for a response kid. Still waiting..

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 4:50pm On Dec 25, 2014
cold:
kiss
Still waiting for a response kid. Still waiting..
Looool...no be the same gods of your fathers dey declare themselves as peoples spiritual husbands and wives?Old man, you have a lot of reasons to appreciate christianity other wise, you and your children would have been living a doomed life. Before you die, try and acquire a little wisdom and knowledge by reading books on your own.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 5:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

Looool...no be the same gods of your fathers dey declare themselves as peoples spiritual husbands and wives?Old man, you have a lot of reasons to appreciate christianity other wise, you and your children would have been living a doomed life. Before you die, try and acquire a little wisdom and knowledge by reading books on your own.
Still skirting around the issue. Just like i expected from a 'not your typical African Christian'. When they're boxed into a corner,they resort to ad hominems

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 5:36pm On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

Still skirting around the issue. Just like i expected from a 'not your typical African Christian'. When they're boxed into a corner,they resort to ad hominems
Sounds like a description of yourself only Clueless is the word I would use to describe you cause you can't be tagged as anything, not even as an atheist. Your illiteracy is just oozing all over thiS thread that it would be much better conversing with a brick wall. I know your kind- a weak,immature ,stuupid african oldman that loves to have the last word. I'll leave the floor for you to display your show of shame. Next time you want to argue about this same topic,make it concrete- start by stating the achievements of the 21st century african traditionalists/atheist, then we can talk.Skirting around you say? Guy, only faaggoots use such phrase. No wonder you are so pained about christainity.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 25, 2014
Europeans attempted the religious con with every continent/Civilization, only the Chinese were able to keep them out and see how fast the Chinese have evolved in spheres of development?
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
See the indians held on fast to their indigenous system and they are the world power of biological sciences.

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 6:25pm On Dec 25, 2014
9jacrip:
Europeans attempted the religious con with every continent/Civilization, only the Chinese were able to keep them out and see how fast the Chinese have evolved in spheres of development?
u are right! India also learnt one or two! Added the positives to theirs and move on.. The problem that gave full access is the way we think as a people.. Evolution of disinterest, comfortability.. made majority of the people intellectually inferior
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 25, 2014
They gave you Jesus and Allah to bother with your problems while they keep leaving you behind in all facets of advancement.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
iamord:
u are right! India also learnt one or two! Added the positives to theirs and move on.. The problem that gave full access is the way we think as a people.. Evolution of disinterest, comfortability.. made majority of the people intellectually inferior

So did China, the two examples of civilization that held on against European or Arab con. They borrowed, homegrew what they borrowed indigenously and boom! Keeping in mind they kept their belief system of 'idolatory' intact.

But Africans, if Jesus nor do am through the wealth amassing pastors, e go do am through intolerant Alfas/Imams rather than emancipatibg their minds.

These religions give a leverage of 'forgiveness' regardless of the gravity of the offense committed; this in turn engenders people to do all the wrongest things under the cover of getting 'saved' afterwards.

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 25, 2014
Please, abrahamic religion toters should read 'black skin, white mask' by Frantz Fannon.

It is a starting point.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 6:43pm On Dec 25, 2014
9jacrip:

So did China, the two examples of civilization that held on against European or Arab con. They borrowed, homegrew what they borrowed indigenously and boom! Keeping in mind they kept their belief system of 'idolatory' intact.

But Africans, if Jesus nor do am through the wealth amassing pastors, e go do am through intolerant Alfas/Imams rather than emancipatibg their minds.

These religions give a leverage of 'forgiveness' regardless of the gravity of the offense committed; this in turn engenders people to do all the wrongest things under the cover of getting 'saved' afterwards.
then why couldn't blacks do the same! Today the evidence of blacks superiority are only left in the sands of time.. Today we have no advance religion that can match up. Am not saying they can't match up. But we as the people are the problem.. The bottom line is that if we as a people don't restructure every system, from government to education to science and technology to military etc to enhance the emancipation of the black mind and plan a creation of an advance race from now! We are not going anywhere but will remain slaves to the other races

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

Seriously, you mean I should start stating all the inhumane traditions and customs coupled with all the demeaning practises your forefathers were brainwashed to practice that has made africa a laughing stock in this 21st century even when technology has put them before your very face? Do you read at all?- I mean, do you know anything about a fraction of africa's history? do you know the aim of the so called gods of your fathers for you at all? Guy, even if I explain all the texts you highlighted, I can beat my chest and bet that you would'nt understand jack about anything. By the way,I've met atheists before- you are not an atheist. You are just confused with garbage upstairs.

Inhumane and demeaning because Europeans said so. Indians and Chinese have held on to their inhumanr and demeaning practices and I can bet my entire savings you do not match the average Chinese and or Indian toe to toe in your field of discipline. Considering this, does christianity add to you?

What has made Africa and Africans the butt of jokes since 15th C till now is you and people like yourself who are struggling to seek validation from Europeans and Arabs in order to feel good. You are nothing more than an imitator, someone not original and the weak link of humanity in that you struggle to be identified as 'civilized' by European/Arab standard and accepted. Yet you're often reminded of where you belong and the reason to be you - we call it racism. On the other hand the Chinese, Arab and Indians command respect and are not treated as the least of food chain like you.

It is you who should be asked if you passed through school at all and thought the culture of researching beyond the delineated boundaries of your discipline because you sound nothing like an educated person.

One can find out plans of God (gods/deities do not have plans of their own but help execute plans of the supreme God the creator of all) if one does the needful but you have absorbed the plan of God as dictated by Europeans/Arabs who not necessarily take their own beliefs with mych seriousness you and your type accord it.

Go do proper research about whatever you believe in and ask questions but when your questions start getting answers of blasphemy/hell fire threat or just have faith/believe as replies then start reconsidering your options.

@lat in Yoruba system, every question can be answered and proven. Thank God for Ifa, our complete snd unadulterated guide to life.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 25, 2014
iamord:
then why couldn't blacks do the same! Today the evidence of blacks superiority are only left in the sands of time.. Today we have no advance religion that can match up. Am not saying they can't match up. But we as the people are the problem.. The bottom line is that if we as a people don't restructure every system, from government to education to science and technology to military etc to enhance the emancipation of the black mind and plan a creation of an advance race from now! We are not going anywhere but will remain slaves to the other races

I get your point, makes sense.

Africans have completely sold out that it is hard to 'borrow' like Indians and Chinese then develop.

1. The religion has created an identity problem, people dp not want to identify with 'indigenous' no one even wants to be identified with the the local black soap making, sale or use for example. Another example, If you borrow let's say, car production (not assembly) and we want to be indigenous in that in Yoruba land, iron workers are often associated with Ogun, even if they do not worship it. This is enough to make the Europeanized or Arabized kill the dream.

2. For validation purposes, Africans are out of religious adoption ready and willing to be collaborators to things that will continue to make Africa a dumping ground.

3. Adoption of religion/culture has created a deep dividing line so much so that Africans cannot necessarily work together for a good common cause, it often falls apart along the lines of foreign belief a la Nigeria poitics on the macro immediate level. So borrowing and developing anything is out of the question.

Finally, Chinese and Japanese were able to borrow and build due to cohesion in their cultural identity which religion forms a bedrock of, Africans lack thid, we cannot work together until we begin to cure our minds of mental slavery which comes to fore when Israel and Arab nations have problems and you find foolish Africans taking sides or carrying placards to protest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:
Yes so and I'll give one simple example to prove my point. A modern traditionalist will never want to marry a woman of his kind- those kind of women that visit,bath, eat and sleep in shrines for concotions and all that. What does that tell you? [b]The ancient traditions/cultures were based on fetish and demeaning teachings from wicked spirits-most with gay attributes that's why women were tossed around like dirt. [/b]Thank God for christianity and civilization.

This person writes average anglais but lacks knowledge.

Traditionalists from time immemorial have married women who do not practice their belief and they do not coerce. There are many professors and doctorate degree holders I've met who are traditionalists but their wives go to church or mosques.

Women were tossed around like dirts yet we have (Chief) pristess roles and Female deities, really?

Talking about women rights, tell me how females have been consecrated to appendages in Christianity/Catholicism and Islam where they have no lead role, just sheepishly follow.

And as of gay, you must have read how Christian churches embrace gay culture and how catholic priests are bursting boys in the back door?

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 25, 2014
saintopus:
The word "idol " is used very often by European and the whites to describe African and other black nation and the Carribeans type of God. African traditional religion lacks backing by the Europeans because it was not written down in a Holy Book otherwise, we could have considered gods like "Amadioha, Ogun oduduwa etc, as Gods too. Come to think of it, most names of Gods written down in the Old Testament are just like African Gods.

Christian Bible and Islam Quran did not get documented until recent centuries.

Evolution of African system towards literature type of record keeping got truncated by these Europeans and Arabs. The documented relics in Africa were either burnt - Library in Egypt or stolen - threat Timbuktu faced, Benin etc.

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 9:10pm On Dec 25, 2014
9jacrip:

Africans have completely sold out that it is hard to 'borrow' like Indians and Chinese then develop.

1. The religion has created an identity problem, people dp not want to identify with 'indigenous' no one even wants to be identified with the the local black soap making, sale or use for example. Another example, If you borrow let's say, car production (not assembly) and we want to be indigenous in that in Yoruba land, iron workers are often associated with Ogun, even if they do not worship it. This is enough to make the Europeanized or Arabized kill the dream.

2. For validation purposes, Africans are out of religious adoption ready and willing to be collaborators to things that will continue to make Africa a dumping ground.

3. Adoption of religion/culture has created a deep dividing line so much so that Africans cannot necessarily work together for a good common cause, it often falls apart along the lines of foreign belief a la Nigeria poitics on the macro immediate level. So borrowing and developing anything is out of the question.

Finally, Chinese and Japanese were able to borrow and build due to cohesion in their cultural identity which religion forms a bedrock of, Africans lack thid, we cannot work together until we begin to cure our minds of mental slavery which comes to fore when Israel and Arab nations have problems and you find foolish Africans taking sides or carrying placards to protest.
beautiful point! We are heading the same direction, you see this change should start with the royal families, chieftains, atr, practitioners, christains, muslims etc that agree that the country comes first before anything. I will be particular with atr.. They are suppose to set an example, be the custodians of peace in the community.. Where am from am glad to see a lot of educated chiefs springing up and changing things in their own quota.. We need a roadmap as a people.. When I saw on discovery channel that hitler had it on his vision board that germany will rule the world for a thousand years.. I marveled!!! But come to africa.. Majority of the populations mind is set on the fact that.. This world is not ours, the world is vanity and will soon come to an end, don't store up your riches here, we got virgin punnanys sweeter than the sweetest ones on earth waiting to be busted.. I ask with the majority of people with such mind set, how can we grow.. The only growth that will be experienced is in the parts that concern that above mindset. That's why even as the economy is hit hard by the falling oil prices, religious centers seem to be cashing out.. My goodness!!! Our lives have been distorted.. I was watching some moslem kids sing *father abraham has many sons* I busted into laughter! The primary school they attend is not missionary ooo! But its Christian based because its a christain that owns it.. A big mistake we make here is trying to use religion to make people morally upright.. Look at how meek the asian monks are!!! And am sure they are operating in a higher vibration than the so called noise makers here.. Its time atr wakes up.. And prepare to bring the chics to roost.. I look for the day that we will have a black mecca! A place with modern sustainable architecture with a print of our cultural identity.. It is partly this dream that made me get interest in atr! It starts from me and u

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 9:25pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

Sounds like a description of yourself only Clueless is the word I would use to describe you cause you can't be tagged as anything, not even as an atheist. Your illiteracy is just oozing all over thiS thread that it would be much better conversing with a brick wall. I know your kind- a weak,immature ,stuupid african oldman that loves to have the last word. I'll leave the floor for you to display your show of shame. Next time you want to argue about this same topic,make it concrete- start by stating the achievements of the 21st century african traditionalists/atheist, then we can talk.Skirting around you say? Guy, only faaggoots use such phrase. No wonder you are so pained about christainity.
Still ranting. I put the evidence out there of the bloodthirsty rage of your god.Still waiting for you to do same and stop spewing fuckery all over the place

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by GooseBaba: 12:53am On Dec 26, 2014
[quote author=iamord post=29199829] beautiful point! We are heading the same direction, you see this change should start with the royal families, chieftains, atr, practitioners, christains, muslims etc that agree that the country comes first before anything. I will be particular with atr.. They are suppose to set an example, be the custodians of peace in the community.. Where am from am glad to see a lot of educated chiefs springing up and changing things in their own quota.. We need a roadmap as a people.. When I saw on discovery channel that hitler had it on his vision board that germany will rule the world for a thousand years.. I marveled!!! But come to africa.. Majority of the populations mind is set on the fact that.. This world is not ours, the world is vanity and will soon come to an end, don't store up your riches here, we got virgin punnanys sweeter than the sweetest ones on earth waiting to be busted.. I ask with the majority of people with such mind set, how can we grow.. The only growth that will be experienced is in the parts that concern that above mindset. That's why even as the economy is hit hard by the falling oil prices, religious centers seem to be cashing out.. My goodness!!! Our lives have been distorted.. I was watching some moslem kids sing *father abraham has many sons* I busted into laughter! The primary school they attend is not missionary ooo! But its Christian based because its a christain that owns it.. A big mistake we make here is trying to use religion to make people morally upright.. Look at how meek the asian monks are!!! And am sure they are operating in a higher vibration than the so called noise makers here.. Its time atr wakes up.. And prepare to bring the chics to roost.. I look for the day that we will have a black mecca! A place with modern sustainable architecture with a print of our cultural identity.. It is partly this dream that made me get interest in atr! It starts from me and u[/quote

Seconded....

We have to take pride in what is ours...

The real enemies of progressive change are fellow africans that are mentally enslaved to the bible/quran

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 26, 2014
9jacrip:

Car production IS car assembly and vice versa. Car production plants are known as 'car assembly plants' throughout the world. The only other type of auto plants in existence are car component manufacturing plants, where a factory produces a limited range of components which they sell to the car assembly plant, where the cars are produced or ''assembled''.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 1:17am On Dec 26, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Car production IS car assembly and vice versa. Car production plants are known as 'car assembly plants' throughout the world. The only other type of auto plants in existence are car component manufacturing plants, where a factory produces a limited range of components which they sell to the car assembly plant, where the cars are produced or ''assembled''.

Despite the fact that we're not in car/auto section, I wonder why this was/is the only part that piqued your interest.

Regardless, your contribution is welcome but I should state that I created and emphasized a dichotomy between car assembly which falls under car manufacturing in order to drive home my point of iron/metal working in relation to Ogun and car production in the sense of developing from scratch - engine block, tranny parts production etc.

So we do not have to go there, let's stay within the ambit of the topic.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Saqqi01(m): 6:53am On Dec 26, 2014
Yes, It is...
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 10:34am On Dec 26, 2014
koyyess:

In all ur posts u had nothing to say about the atrocities of traditions

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 10:38am On Dec 26, 2014
koyyess:

Lmaogrin can u prove the bold? What Deity has claimed to be ur mothers spirit husband?

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 11:09am On Dec 26, 2014
macof:

then a Christian is another term for bastard, if Christians shouldn't take part in their cultural practices

You are entitled to your own opinion, but don't take it beyond bounds. As Christians we don't partake in cultural practices that are fetish in nature. We do only things that don't contradict our faith and belief. And we owe no one any apologies for that.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 11:09am On Dec 26, 2014
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by tonychristopher: 8:56am On Dec 27, 2014
That's not it

As an Igbo man I will do my new yam festival
My masqurde
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:47pm On Dec 27, 2014
KLand:

You are entitled to your own opinion, but don't take it beyond bounds. As Christians we don't partake in cultural practices that are fetish in nature. We do only things that don't contradict our faith and belief. And we owe no one any apologies for that.

Mumu hypocrite! Y do u worship jesus idols then?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oba Akiolu At Colchester For Grandson Graduation (photo) / Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? / Birmingham City University Hosts Ooni Of Ife As Ooni Speaks At Chatham House(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.