Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Seven Sects Of Spinsters - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Seven Sects Of Spinsters (24597 Views)

Dear Spinsters In Naija if he doesn't Pass These Tests, Don't Marry Him / Why Nigerian spinsters should be finacially independent. / My Great Fear For Many Nigeria Spinsters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by 1stola: 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2015
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by mirexxx(f): 2:48pm On Jan 10, 2015
1stola:

cheesy grin
u said my lips was fat..y did u say dat?
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
sassychic:

No.
It means I don't have sex and don't cover up from head to toe tongue

Weldon virgin mary
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by 1stola: 3:01pm On Jan 10, 2015
mirexxx:
u said my lips was fat..y did u say dat?
I didn't mean it.
I know it's not fat, you only made it look so coz you pouted in your pix.
yakuri
pkele
mabinu
sorry.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by DWJOBScom(m): 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2015
emusmith:

I met No.7 and ended up being a good friend - I didn't want to date or even ask her out - I felt it will mess up the friendship we experienced........I had this fear that if I say a word of affection more than you look good or I enjoyed ur company it will alter everything and I didn't want that.......!
#she wasn't the first , the second or even the third
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by mirexxx(f): 3:05pm On Jan 10, 2015
1stola:

I didn't mean it.
I know it's not fat, you only made it look so coz you pouted in your pix.
yakuri
pkele
mabinu
sorry.
OK am fine kiss
hw u doing?
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
emusmith:

Is that where you fall? grin
yup, evn though I've got guys around I dnt see me settlin wt any of them.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by 1stola: 3:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
mirexxx:
OK am fine kiss
hw u doing?
I'm fine.
Happy new year.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 10, 2015
emusmith:

Till when?
Shei nageria problem u dey type? na nigeria problem no dey finish bro.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 10, 2015
DWJOBScom:

I met No.7 and ended up being a good friend - I didn't want to date or even ask her out - I felt it will mess up the friendship we experienced........I had this fear that if I say a word of affection more than you look good or I enjoyed ur company it will alter everything and I didn't want that.......!
#she wasn't the first , the second or even the third

I totally get you...wink...Those type, I leave them to do the green lights...why? they're highly selective... telling them will amount to waste of time...
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
marinel:
yup, evn though I've got guys around I dnt see me settlin wt any of them.

Why?
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 10, 2015
[quote author=emusmith post=29648649][/quote] Since all the ladies picked nomber 7, modify no.3 to no.7. That is american style (manipulation)
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 10, 2015
Bridgetown:

Weldon virgin mary
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by sirTesco(m): 4:26pm On Jan 10, 2015
I need d single and celibate type. Na only single and forming full ma faculty o.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 10, 2015
craziebone:

that's american english. I wans't taught american english in primary school. In our brighter grammar, word and opposite were: bachelor/spinster.

In here and in british english, it is said that the opposite of bachelor is spinster. It is also noted that it didn't have a negative conotation initially.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelorette

"In older English, the female counterpart term to "bachelor" was "spinster". However, this has acquired negative connotations and mostly been abandoned. When used now, it tends to imply that the woman has never been married and is too old to find a husband and have children.[1] A bachelorette may have previously been in a relationship.

The term is not used in British English and there is no direct equivalent."

From your own link.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by iyisco2001(m): 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
AreaFada2:

My dear, many fall in this category now. Their formula is:

Amount of olosho = amount of money+ gifts + other benefits.
grin grin I tell you, and na almost every babe o
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
MissMeiya:

"In older English, the female counterpart term to "bachelor" was "spinster". However, this has acquired negative connotations and mostly been abandoned. When used now, it tends to imply that the woman has never been married and is too old to find a husband and have children.[1] A bachelorette may have previously been in a relationship.

The term is not used in British English and there is no direct equivalent."

From your own link.

i (and i think many people who's got fair judgement) believe the word "counterpart" as used in the link i provided, means opposite.

Anyway, i do not intend to argue or pick up quarrels. That's not my aim. I was only surprised to hear that that word is derogatory hence my asking the question "derogatory?"

i don't think i am the only one who has never seen the word as derogatory. I think the op too, prior to now, did not see it that way too hence he used it the way he did. Many ladies here probably don't see it as derogatory too, hence never raised the issue.

I am not denying it could be derogatory. Afterall, many words do take up a different meaning or conotation after a long period of time. Eg, alchemy, magic, occult and most recently, religion.

Religion is becoming synonymous with violence, backwardness and extortion.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by wordbank(m): 6:34pm On Jan 10, 2015
no2 na dem dey carry belle sharp sharp
no7 dey end up with the wrong guy
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 10, 2015
craziebone:

i (and i think many people who's got fair judgement) believe the word "counterpart" as used in the link i provided, means opposite. Did you not notice the bolded parts? What does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, i do not intend to argue or pick up quarrels. That's not my aim. (Really?) I was only surprised to hear that that word is derogatory hence my asking the question "derogatory?"

i don't think i am the only one who has never seen the word as derogatory. I think the op too, prior to now, did not see it that way too hence he used it the way he did. Many ladies here probably don't see it as derogatory too, hence never raised the issue.

I am not denying it could be derogatory. Afterall, many words do take up a different meaning or conotation after a long period of time. Eg, alchemy, magic, occult and most recently, religion.

Religion is becoming synonymous with violence, backwardness and extortion.

At the bolded, I saw and chose to ignore the insult.

That is the current definition of spinster. I did not add anything to the definition. Simply copied and pasted. And in the MODERN dictionary, the word "spinster" is a derogatory term. Perhaps in 18th century Queen's English it was not so, but in this century, that's what spinster means. It's not "could be". It is. It's not a matter of opinion. This is what reference books like dictionaries and encyclopedias were made for. To quell disagreement over established fact.

I guess I didn't ignore the insult after all.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by deife(m): 6:38pm On Jan 10, 2015
Emusmith, this thread makes sense. I particularly admire your dexterity. Well done bruv! smiley
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 10, 2015
emusmith:

Why?
I dunno, I guess fear of the unknown. Disadvantages of bein in a relationship outways d advantages
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 10, 2015
deife:
Emusmith, this thread makes sense. I particularly admire your dexterity. Well done bruv! smiley

Thanks Bro. I'm humbled hearing such...# runs to follow him# wink
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 10, 2015
marinel:
I dunno, I guess fear of the unknown. Disadvantages of bein in a relationship outways d advantages

Don't you think it's a mindset? Why not give it a try? BTW, if you're ready and old enough for it...wink
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
MissMeiya:

At the bolded, I saw and chose to ignore the insult.

That is the current definition of spinster. I did not add anything to the definition. Simply copied and pasted. And in the MODERN dictionary, the word "spinster" is a derogatory term. Perhaps in 18th century Queen's English it was not so, but in this century, that's what spinster means. It's not "could be". It is. It's not a matter of opinion. This is what reference books like dictionaries and encyclopedias were made for. To quell disagreement over established fact.

I guess I didn't ignore the insult after all.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 10, 2015
MissMeiya:

The opposite of bachelor is bachelorette. Spinster means an old, unmarried woman. It's derogatory.

I thought I was the only one that noticed.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 10, 2015
BornSad:

I thought I was the only one that noticed.

There you are!!!! I've been looking for you!

Come to me.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 10, 2015
MissMeiya:

There you are!!!! I've been looking for you!

Come to me.

Wow! Glad I got your attention. grin

cheesy Happy New Year!

I've not been very active on Nairaland of recent; no thanks to my stressful job. But if there's one person that makes me visit the site occasionally, it's you. Believe it or not, I've been following you diligently, call it stalking if you want. Your posts on the politics section etc., I just read them, smile and say to myself, "ma chérie fait comme d'habitude". smiley Really wish I could be around more often.

How have you been?
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 10, 2015
BornSad:

Wow! Glad I got your attention. grin

cheesy Happy New Year!

I've not been very active on Nairaland of recent; no thanks to my stressful job. But if there's one person that makes me visit the site occasionally, it's you. Believe it or not, I've been following you diligently, call it stalking if you want. Your posts on the politics section etc., I just read them, smile and say to myself, "ma chérie fait comme d'habitude". smiley Really wish I could be around more often.

How have you been?

Happy New Year! Please, don't read my Politics posts. *covers face*

I sent you an email before. Check it. I will send you another, right now.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 10, 2015
MissMeiya:

Happy New Year! Please, don't read my Politics posts. *covers face*

I sent you an email before. Check it. I will send you another, right now.

Derailing is not allowed...

Sorry cheesy

# That Guy sha# wink
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
emusmith:

Derailing is not allowed...

Sorry cheesy

# That Guy sha# wink

LOL grin You should be happy you helped me reunite with my friend tongue
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
MissMeiya:

LOL grin You should be happy you helped me reunite with my friend tongue

Lol... don't mind him. cheesy

J'attends encore le message.
Re: Seven Sects Of Spinsters by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
BornSad:

Lol... don't mind him. cheesy

J'attends encore le message.

Je l'ai envoyé! The gmail? Devenu "naughty"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? / Pictures You Can Relate To If You Have Tiny Boobs / Liberian Asks For Prayers For Her Cousin Because She's About To Marry A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.