Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) (119822 Views)

The Humans Of Ogun State (street Photography) / 5 People You Will Find On Any Lagos Street / Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
"I met my 'husband' while working as a sales girl in Idumota. He always frequented our shop because of me and each time he came he would always tell me how much he loves me and wants to marry me. I liked him too and we started dating. I got pregnant for him and moved in with him and he promised to marry me and pay my bride price.
He kept postponing the marriage and each time I ask him, he would say there is no money for that now and once money comes we would get married. We kept living together peaceful till he suddenly changed, abuses me any opportunity he gets, he told me he will never marry someone as ugly as me. He got married to another woman and brought her home and they made life unbearable for me and my kids, I kept enduring hoping things would get better but he just threw us out from his house. We've been sleeping outside since then. The only thing I was able to pack was the clothes I spread on the grass over there and the ones inside the white nylon.
Sometimes I start laughing at myself then I begin to cry. I'm so ashamed I never thought this was how my life would end up. I'm an NCE holder, I had plans and now I'm sitting here not knowing where the next meal will come from." #HumansOfLagos.

Hey wonderful people, let's see if there is something we can do for this woman and her kids. She needs 3 things, accommodation, a job and getting her kids back to school. Please if there is anyone that can accommodate them temporary or has a job for her. She said she can do any work she gets; domestic work, cleaner etc Please send an email to Thehumansoflagos@gmail.com and God bless you as you help change someone's life.

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by RealAlfranco: 10:08pm On Apr 27, 2015
O God,look at da kids,innocently laughing. Deep down inside their hearts they know sumthngs isn't right. But dey feel protected by the love of their mother since their bloody father has chosen to be a complete retar.d . And as for the father...I reserve my comment because the thunder dat will strike and reconfigure his brain is gathering momentum. And the mum - the Lord is her strength.

God Bless My Mother. And let me prosper so I can bless my Mother too
I had to punch a wall to feel manly again, cos I shed a tear,just a tear.

11 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:35pm On Apr 28, 2015
"One of my best moments this year was when someone complimented my intelligence. We had finished talking about something, she was surprised at how intelligent the conversation was and told me she never knew I had something upstairs.
That's one misconception people always have about me, when they see me, they assume all I have to offer is a fine face and nothing else, I feel bad about that and I try as much as possible to prove them wrong. I'm a hardworking guy and I would want to be remembered for my work and achievements not just as that 'fine boy'."

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:40pm On Apr 29, 2015
"We were about 200 in my department when we entered University of Maiduguri, out of the 200, only a few of us graduated. One day you'd come to class and you won't find some people. The number kept reducing day by day, you don't know if they had managed to escape Borno or if they were among those that died in the last bombing or if their village had been among those attacked. We were losing our friends and we didn't know whether to be happy they escaped or mourn their death.
It was really scary, you go out in the morning and you don't know if you'd come back alive. I saw people die in my presence. There is one that still hunts me, I was in the market buying some things with my friends when Boko haram attacked, We ran into a shop to take cover. The owner of the shop let us in then said he was going outside to bring some of his things in and he was hit by a bullet. I stood there shaking and screaming. This was someone that was alive few seconds ago.
The whole experience in the north changed how I see life and most Importantly, it drew me closer to God."

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 9:59pm On Apr 29, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"We were about 200 in my department when we entered University of Maiduguri, out of the 200, only a few of us graduated. One day you'd come to class and you won't find some people. The number kept reducing day by day, you don't know if they had managed to escape Borno or if they were among those that died in the last bombing or if their village had been among those attacked. We were losing our friends and we didn't know whether to be happy they escaped or mourn their death.
It was really scary, you go out in the morning and you don't know if you'd come back alive. I saw people die in my presence. There is one that still hunts me, I was in the market buying some things with my friends when Boko haram attacked, We ran into a shop to take cover. The owner of the shop let us in then said he was going outside to bring some of his things in and he was hit by a bullet. I stood there shaking and screaming. This was someone that was alive few seconds ago.
The whole experience in the north changed how I see life and most Importantly, it drew me closer to God."
Hmmmm...this is strong.

People should read this again and again. Then, we will appreciate the relative peace we enjoy in South (West, east etc.) of Nigeria.

God be with this lady and bless her.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 5:08pm On May 01, 2015
"I've always wanted to attend University of Lagos but I couldn't get in in my first 3 attempts. The first one was more painful, I was so confident I'd get in, I had already started telling people. Then came the second and third, at a point I got fed up and enrolled in a polytechnic but each time I passed Unilag, I'd keep staring at the Logo, students etc I felt this was where I belonged, I needed to be here. I kept trying and was finally admitted.
The distractions were there but I wasn't there for that, I had a goal, I wanted a first class and I started working towards it from day 1. It was tough, faced a lot of challenges but to the Glory of God I finished with a first class."

28 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by feedthenation(m): 5:31pm On May 01, 2015
"I met my 'husband' while working as a sales girl in Idumota. He always frequented our shop because of me and each time he came he would always tell me how much he loves me and wants to marry me. I liked him too and we started dating. I got pregnant for him and moved in with him and he promised to marry me and pay my bride price.
He kept postponing the marriage and each time I ask him, he would say there is no money for that now and once money comes we would get married. We kept living together peaceful till he suddenly changed, abuses me any opportunity he gets, he told me he will never marry someone as ugly as me. He got married to another woman and brought her home and they made life unbearable for me and my kids, I kept enduring hoping things would get better but he just threw us out from his house. We've been sleeping outside since then. The only thing I was able to pack was the clothes I spread on the grass over there and the ones inside the white nylon.
Sometimes I start laughing at myself then I begin to cry. I'm so ashamed I never thought this was how my life would end up. I'm an NCE holder, I had plans and now I'm sitting here not knowing where the next meal will come from." #HumansOfLagos.

Hey wonderful people, let's see if there is something we can do for this woman and her kids. She needs 3 things, accommodation, a job and getting her kids back to school. Please if there is anyone that can accommodate them temporary or has a job for her. She said she can do any work she gets; domestic work, cleaner etc Please send an email to Thehumansoflagos@gmail.com and God bless you as you help change someone's life.

Such a sad stroy..i hope there's a way she can get her life back to normal
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by ifegy: 4:04pm On May 02, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I've always wanted to attend University of Lagos but I couldn't get in in my first 3 attempts. The first one was more painful, I was so confident I'd get in, I had already started telling people. Then came the second and third, at a point I got fed up and enrolled in a polytechnic but each time I passed Unilag, I'd keep staring at the Logo, students etc I felt this was where I belonged, I needed to be here. I kept trying and was finally admitted.
The distractions were there but I wasn't there for that, I had a goal, I wanted a first class and I started working towards it from day 1. It was tough, faced a lot of challenges but to the Glory of God I finished with a first class."

Lovely story! Well done!
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:45pm On May 03, 2015
"Few days ago we shared the story of Julianna, the woman with 2 kids who was sent away by her husband. We asked if any of our wonderful followers could provide accommodation and a job for her, the response was amazing. A lady offered her a job and accommodation which she initially accepted but on the day they were supposed to be moved, she said she'd prefer to go to her village instead and stay close to her people.
They boarded a bus to her hometown this morning and should have arrived now (called her around 6pm and she said they were almost home... Called again now but she didn't answer so I guess they are home now.) The lady also gave her some money to start a business when she gets home.
God bless our Instagram follower Oghenekaro she is the wonderful lady that made this happen. She took their problem as hers and treated them like family. She is one of the most selfless person I've met, was inspiring listening to her talk so passionately about the things she cares about, helping others and trying to make the world a better place in her own little way. God bless you Oghenekaro and all the best to Julianna and her kids."

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 10:00pm On May 03, 2015
God bless U Oghenekaro God bless U Tochi for standing in the gap!!!

10 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 11:54pm On May 03, 2015
This is awesome! God bless you Tochi

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 7:30am On May 04, 2015
Best thread ever
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by dechandel(f): 9:44am On May 04, 2015
God bless Oghenekaro!!
I am glad the woman finally got on her feet..

Phewww!! Nice thread btw
Off to unfollow the humans of Newyork jare grin and be a patriotic omo Naija cool

5 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by justi4jesu(f): 9:46am On May 04, 2015
Nice May God reward that lady double.

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:21pm On May 04, 2015
I would have loved to attend University with my mates but there wasn't money when I finished my WAEC and I had to go and learn something, that's how I found myself in Computer village. I wasn't angry with my dad or anyone, he works really hard and I know if he had the money he would have sent me to school. That was his dream for all of us.
Some of my friends have graduated but I don't envy them or try to compare my life to there's, we all have different paths. I'm done with my training, I can confidently say I can repair any laptop or computer they bring to me for repairs. I'm still attaching in my boss's shop and my focus now is getting my own shop, becoming better in this and providing for my family."

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:54pm On May 05, 2015
*Update on Vivian* We haven't been able to raise the complete amount required for her trip and surgery in India or able to get a hospital to give a special discount and carry out the surgery with the amount raised so far ($9,887). We've also sent out emails to the hospitals suggested by our followers that carry out such surgeries for free but none of them has been positive so far.
We were referred to the newly built Gbagada Cardiac and Renal center which we were told can now perform heart surgeries. Last month, Vivian, her parents, hol alongside a rep from UKF went to see Dr. Tosin Majekodunmi of Gbagada Cardiac and Renal center for further tests and to know if they can be able to perform the surgery. After the Echocardiogram, the doctor found out Vivian has developed severe  pulmonary  hypertension  and  Eisenmenger’s  syndrome  and  can  no  longer  be  offered  curative  surgery  in  the  form  of  an  arterial  switch  procedure.  Given  the  severity  of  her  pulmonary  hypertension,  palliative  procedures  such  as  an  atrial  switch  or  arterial  switch  procedure  could  be  performed  to  improve  her  oxygen  saturations  but  would  be  at  very  high  risk and with  good  medical  care  Vivian  although  limited  should  reach  adult  age  and  may  achieve  30  –  40yrs  of  life. Dr. Majekodunmi has explained the diagnosis in detail to Vivian's parents and they are willing to take the risk and go ahead with the surgery.
The challenge now is still getting the complete funds, you can still donate through gofundme http://www.gofundme.com/ojv9zs and please don't hesitate to send an email to Thehumansoflagos@gmail.com if you have any suggestions or useful information on we can make this happen for Vivian.
God bless the 257 who donated so far and each and everyone helping out in one way or the other. Big thank you to Tope Fajingbesi, Ameenah Yunus-Ali, Ololade O, Janae M., Dr. Kikelomo B., Dr. Majekodunmi T. and all the wonderful people working tirelessly to make sure Vivian gets the help she needs. The end is near and we can't wait to share in Vivian's success story.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 11:10pm On May 05, 2015
"improve her oxygen saturations but would be at very high risk and with good medical care Vivian although limited should reach adult age and may achieve 30 – 40yrs of life. Dr. Majekodunmi has explained the diagnosis in detail to Vivian's parents and they are willing to take the risk and go ahead with the surgery."

What do you mean by this Tochiphotos?
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by DeCritique(m): 11:38am On May 06, 2015
GIYAZZ:

"improve her oxygen saturations but would be
at very high risk and with good medical care
Vivian although limited should reach adult age
and may achieve 30 – 40yrs of life. Dr.
Majekodunmi has explained the diagnosis in detail
to Vivian's parents and they are willing to take the
risk and go ahead with the surgery."

I think he means that if the surgery is improved and she's well taken care of as she grows older, she will live but between 30 - 40 years.

In simpler terms, she may die before she gets to 50 years of age. But I believe in the fact that men are not God so even if we say one thing, God decides what happens finally.

I pray the surgery is successful.

God's blessings upon you Tochi!
God's healing hands upon you Vivian!!
Amen!!!

4 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Originalsly: 11:43am On May 06, 2015
GIYAZZ:

"improve her oxygen saturations but would be
at very high risk and with good medical care
Vivian although limited should reach adult age
and may achieve 30 – 40yrs of life. Dr.
Majekodunmi has explained the diagnosis in detail
to Vivian's parents and they are willing to take the
risk and go ahead with the surgery."

The only thing the doctors can do to make her live longer ...to maybe 30 yrs old...is to perform a surgery to make her blood carry more oxygen. That surgery is high risk.... she has to be lucky to be alive after the operation....the family decided to risk her life by having her take the operation.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 11:55am On May 06, 2015
DeCritique:

I think he means that if the surgery is improved and she's well taken care of as she grows older, she will live but between 30 - 40 years.

In simpler terms, she may die before she gets to 50 years of age. But I believe in the fact that men are not God so even if we say one thing, God decides what happens finally.

I pray the surgery is successful.

God's blessings upon you Tochi!
God's healing hands upon you Vivian!!
Amen!!!
Die at 30 or 40? Damn!!! That's cruel!

She'd hurt a lot of people at that age na. . . Her husband, children, friends and a lot of people!!!!

I'd say they should let her go for now. But you said something very catchy. . . Men are not God! Maybe she'd live longer than that. It can only be a miracle ya know?

But very big risk!
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 11:56am On May 06, 2015
Originalsly:
The only thing the doctors can do to make her live longer ...to maybe 30 yrs old...is to perform a surgery to make her blood carry more oxygen. That surgery is high risk.... she has to be lucky to be alive after the operation....the family decided to risk her life by having her take the operation.
This is heart-breaking. Smh
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by shadowhunter15(f): 5:16am On May 07, 2015
This thread is beautiful and i've just spent the past few hours crying. How can I donate or get in contact with some of these people? Ugh such resilience and determination, and here I am crying about my broken s5. I really hope all these people have the breakthroughs in their lives. The attitudes of these people are so amazing and inspirational. I really hope there is a way to help that women's shop still.
I could share my parents if it's any good.
My dad was still riding a bicycle while attending school/teaching in Uniben at his late 30s as well as hawking in the streets. Everyone claimed that he couldn't make it and wouldn't get anywhere in his life, and my mom made a mistake for marrying him. Now were a middle to upper middle class family in the states.
#Anythingispossiblewiththegraceofgod

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:11pm On May 07, 2015
GIYAZZ:

A curative surgery which would have made her normal again won't be possible again. The doctors said it should have been detected immediately she was given birth to and taken care of that's how it's done abroad but sadly it was in Nigeria and they overlooked it. Now, only a palliative procedure can be performed to make her live to 30 or more but the procedure is risky and after that she has to avoid so many things. I can't mention all here. The parents are willing to take the risk and we will pray for the best.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:12pm On May 07, 2015
"I was posted to Adamawa for my NYSC in 2010. One afternoon during my CDS, a young girl of about 11 or 12 came to me and asked that I take her to Lagos or anywhere I was going to. Her dad wanted to marry her off to a man 5 x her age and she told me she'd rather run away than marry the man. I was a visitor and I couldn't do much,I wanted to help her, I tried all I could but it amounted to nothing. I still think of her and each time it still pains me that I wasn't able to help her."

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 9:26pm On May 07, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I was posted to Adamawa for my NYSC in 2010. One afternoon during my CDS, a young girl of about 11 or 12 came to me and asked that I take her to Lagos or anywhere I was going to. Her dad wanted to marry her off to a man 5 x her age and she told me she'd rather run away than marry the man. I was a visitor and I couldn't do much,I wanted to help her, I tried all I could but it amounted to nothing. I still think of her and each time it still pains me that I wasn't able to help her."
Heartbreaking. ..
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by SugaryBelle(f): 1:42pm On May 08, 2015
OMD! What a beautiful thread and project,the stories are so touching.Kudos to you Tochi and may God be with and bless all those featured in all aspect of this. Still following

3 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:06pm On May 08, 2015
"I'm starting an NGO that will provide basic formal education for young girls in the north and also educate them and their parents on the dangers of early/childhood marriage. I did my NYSC in the north and witnessed these issues first hand. Girls are not allowed to go to school or get any form of formal education. Some of them want to go to school, they have dreams and aspirations just like the rest of us and someone is denying them that."

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 7:34am On May 09, 2015
Yes!cheesy

With Ladies like U Ma' then we have hope for the girl-child!

God will help Ur course

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by ifegy: 3:44pm On May 09, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I'm starting an NGO that will provide basic formal education for young girls in the north and also educate them and their parents on the dangers of early/childhood marriage. I did my NYSC in the north and witnessed these issues first hand. Girls are not allowed to go to school or get any form of formal education. Some of them want to go to school, they have dreams and aspirations just like the rest of us and someone is denying them that."

Go for it! Well done!

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Solo8(m): 3:52pm On May 09, 2015
Very cool thread. Will keep checking back
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:08pm On May 09, 2015
"I wanted to be unique, something different from all the crazy costumes. Anything goes today.
HOL*How did your neighbors react when you left the house with this hair?
I'm a comedian, I've done crazier things before.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:36pm On May 10, 2015
"This is my first time at the carnival, I've heard so much about it and I wanted to experience it. It's been fun so far and I'm having the time for my life."

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (31) (Reply)

I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / Memoirs From Chile / Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.