Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,691 members, 7,813,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (58420 Views)

Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 1:08am On Dec 27, 2017
macof:

"Do not be like the uneducated Edos on this forum. There is no schooling the person you quoted can give me, to assume that is even an insult"

You are obviously a typical uneducated Yoruba on an expansionism mission that had already failed. The guy shooled you. Live with that.

"I reside very very far away from Ife. And my hometown is not Ife, as that appears to be your assumption.
I am sure not Edo, but it is wrong to think one would have to be Edo to know who is Edo and who is not, you seem oblivious to the concept of Study and research through that one will know that Edo state is different from Edo ethnicity which Akoko is not"

" of course I do, not because I have a problem with Bini but because it makes no sense that Oduduwa would come from Bini and Ife would have no tradition of that..even in Bini there is no tradition of that, this Bini connection story is a recent concoction, so inconsistent with the already known facts. I have given my reasons for refuting this so many times, some of them are:
1. Oduduwa - Odu - da - Uwa(Iwa; standard Yoruba)... basic Yoruba, which meaning has nothing to do with Imadoduwa or Izoduwa
2. is it Imadoduwa or Izoduwa? the story claims both names, doesnt make sense, this is an obvious sign that the story is made up
3. the coronation rites of the Oba of Bini doesnt connect him to the Ogiso, everything is a reflection of a totally new Dynasty
4. the name 'Oduduwa' is known in Bini as 'Oduduwa' there is even an Oduduwa festival. what sense does it make to call him Oduduwa when you say he is Izoduwa or Imadoduwa. No traditions exist with him being referred to as Imadoduwa or Izoduwa

Oduduwa might as well come from Bini, after all there are Obas in Yorubaland who came from Bini like the Ogoga of Ikere-Ekiti. But you need evidence, that is why no reputable historian takes the Ikaledehan story seriously."

"Again, I am not Ife.

95% of Akoko-Edo are not made up of Edo migrants, Even Ibillo and Igarra the largest towns are not, I expect you to know this
There are towns in Akoko-edo founded by Yorubas, towns founded by Edo, towns by other Ethnicities in Nigeria, this cannot be denied.
Another undeniable fact is that Akoko-Edo and Akoko-Ondo are together Akoko as a whole, do not try to separate Akoko-edo. So I am not even claiming Akoko as a whole are originally Yoruba, because that is not true, the area is multi -cultural and -linguistic but the Yoruba factor(which has existed since pre-colonial times) is fast becoming dominant"

You are obviously a typical uneducated Yoruba bigot on an expansionism mission that has already failed. The guy schooled you. Live with that.

Much as you don't have to be Edo before you can know about Edo, you however can't know Edo more than the Edos themselves. I may have a lot of literature about Yorubas at my disposal online but that will and can never make me more knowledgeable about Yorubas than a Yoruba person born and bred in Yoruba land. So when an Edo person born and bred in Edo State speaks you listen and learn from his first hand knowledge rather than insist on the incomplete and inaccurate knowledge you gleaned from online articles and books written by non-native scholars like you. You don't claim you know me more than I know myself. That is absurd and moronic.

So you went all that length to resist the Izoduwa story which appears to you as a Binis' attempt to impose their own version of your identity on you yet you are here at the same time trying to impose your own concocted idea of Akoko-Edo people's Identify and history on them even when an Akoko-Edo person is here refuting it all and telling you the fact as a native? Is that not hypocritic? See your life?

Sorry for you. I am an Akoko-Edo person born and brought up there and still live there. You are hallucinating. Almost all Akoko-Edo towns and villages are inhabited by ancient Bini Migrants. Most of their languages and dialects share a lot of words with Bini Language. Ibillo people are part of the ethnic group called Okpameri which is the largest in Akoko-Edo. Other Okpameri towns are Lampese, Bekuma, Imoga, Kakumo, Somorika, Ekor, Ilepi, Ugboshi Afe, Ugboshi Ele, Makeke, Anyauza, Ogbe, etc. None of them was founded by any Yoruba historical figure. They all migrated from Benin at different times.
The next largest tribe is the Uneme tribe which has towns and villages like Uneme-Nekhua, Uneme Erhurhu, Uneme-Akpama, Uneme-Osu, Ekpedo, etc. None of them was founded by any Yoruba. Unemes are metal smiths till today - a skill they carried from their ancestral Benin home. Their language is almost purely Benin.
Igarra is just the largest town but not the largest tribe. In fact Igarra is the third largest tribe in Akoko-Edo. So your assumption that the largest size of Igarra automatically translates to largest tribe status for them showcases your stark ignorance about Akoko-Edo and further proves that you are on an expansionism mission which will surely fail.
Other Akoko-Edo settlements are Okpe, Ijaja, Enwan, Akuku, Ososo, Egbigere, Sasaro, Ushi, Anyaran, Ojirami, Ojah, Atteh, Ikpeshi, etc.They are all together fifty six in number. None of them has any history of being founded by Yorubas.
Akoko-Edo is in Edo State while Akoko-Ondo is in Ondo State. So I am left wondering what you mean by your claim that they are together. Akoko-Edo was cut into Midwest along with other Edoid tribes because they were clearly not Yorubas and had nothing in common with them otherwise they would have been left in the Western Region during the creation of Midwest.
As for the Yoruba factor about which you exposed immense ignorance, here is the truth, kiss it for once:

The geographical area currently known as Akoko-Edo was initially known as and called Igarra-Edo by the colonial authorities which observed that nearly all the inhabitants are Edoid in language and traditions. The inclusion of Igarra root in the name was on account of the level of primacy which Igarra exhibited among the other settlements even though Igarra was not the largest tribe nor the second largest. However with time and more enlightenment the other tribes began to agitate that the name Igarra-Edo was not truly representative of the actual diversity of the area. But neither did any other single tribe have a simple majority to confer on it the status of overwhelming majority. This led to a logjam which in an attempt to resolve the different tribes, including the Igarrans themselves, had to agree to pick a neutral name to replace Igarra in the name. Owing to historical familiarity with their Akoko neighbors through trade interactions over centuries coupled with the fact that they were already placed in the newly created Western Region, they thought it strategic to adopt the Akoko root and moreso to gain political relevance within the Western Region given the fact that qualification for entitlement from the Regional government was not much by merit as was by real or apparent majority membership.
That was how the people came to use Akoko and not that they we're Yorubas.
However with the creation of Midwest, the Yoruba factor became unnecessary and began to die a natural death. For the teaching of Local Language, schools reverted to teaching the mother tongues of the villages in which they were located and the use of Yoruba language in communication became progressively discouraged and resented. In the end the only Yoruboid village that ever existed in Akoko-Edo and was actually founded by Yorubas was encouraged to get themselves carved into Ondo State. And this was done in IBB's 1991 States creation and boundary adjustment as the village in question called Imeri located on the Northwestern end of Akoko-Edo was carved into Ondo State.
Thereafter Akoko-Edo has become devoid of all traces of Yoruba.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by OlaoChi: 1:24am On Dec 27, 2017
historyworld031:
You want me to give a "detailed short account of akoko history".
Why are you guys so obsessed with stories, are you children ?
I don't know if you are aware but all these stories are mere fables !
History is not like your fairytales, it requires proof !
All pre-colonial maps showing Akoko-Edo as being Edo is proof enough in the case you didn't notice the "EDO" in their name.
It seems you guys are incapable of understanding like adults, one most make up a story so that you can understand. You really think like little children.

but you claim to be an historian and even call yourself historyworld, you should be able to tell fiction from history unless you are trying to say Akoko have no history and all the stories Akoko people say about themselves are lies too, which I cannot believe. And you really have to act reasonable and stop all this emotional outburst, I'm just here to learn if you have nothing to offer you can bounce and give space to others who know the history and demographics of the area, after all you cannot force your opinion on others. Edo in their name signifies Edo state not Edo people because there are Akoko in Kogi and Ondo states, are they Edo too?
there are also many things wrong with this assertion of yours, Pre colonial maps try to portray States along with any vassal they might have ie. Benin Empire with vassals that were not part of Benin kingdom
there is a difference between a Kingdom and an Empire with vassal kingdoms under its administration and these Maps were largely inaccurate due to the Europeans lack of knowledge on the demographics and geography of the ingenious African people many assumptions were made without the Europeans going inland themselves, some cities east would be portrayed to be west, this is general knowledge i believe. European ideas about Africa of pre-colonial times are being debunked by Europeans themselves due to lack of sufficient knowledge, this your reliance on European maps is an erroneous move as the Europeans would not have known Akoko towns, so Akoko cannot be featured in pre-colonial maps, are there records of europeans visiting Akokoland? I guess not

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 1:32am On Dec 27, 2017
OlaoChi:
but you claim to be an historian and even call yourself historyworld, you should be able to tell fiction from history unless you are trying to say Akoko have no history and all the stories Akoko people say about themselves are lies too, which I cannot believe. And you really have to act reasonable and stop all this emotional outburst, I'm just here to learn if you have nothing to offer you can bounce and give space to others who know the history and demographics of the area, after all you cannot force your opinion on others. Edo in their name signifies Edo state not Edo people because there are Akoko in Kogi and Ondo states, are they Edo too?
there are also many things wrong with this assertion of yours, Pre colonial maps try to portray States along with any vassal they might have ie. Benin Empire with vassals that were not part of Benin kingdom
there is a difference between a Kingdom and an Empire with vassal kingdoms under its administration and these Maps were largely inaccurate due to the Europeans lack of knowledge on the demographics and geography of the ingenious African people many assumptions were made without the Europeans going inland themselves, some cities east would be portrayed to be west, this is general knowledge i believe. European ideas about Africa of pre-colonial times are being debunked by Europeans themselves due to lack of sufficient knowledge, this your reliance on European maps is an erroneous move as the Europeans would not have known Akoko towns, so Akoko cannot be featured in pre-colonial maps, are there records of europeans visiting Akokoland? I guess not

The Akokos in Kogi and Ondo are actually Yorubas but Akoko-Edos are not. I am an Akoko-Edo person and I tell this to you as the horses mouth.

Akoko-Edo was cut into Midwest along with other Edoid tribes because they were clearly not Yorubas and had nothing in common with them otherwise they would have been left in the Western Region during the creation of Midwest.
As for the Yoruba factor, here is the truth, kiss it for once:
The geographical area currently known as Akoko-Edo was initially known as and called Igarra-Edo by the colonial authorities which observed that nearly all the inhabitants are Edoid in language and traditions. The inclusion of Igarra root in the name was on account of the level of primacy which Igarra exhibited among the other settlements even though Igarra was not the largest tribe nor the second largest. However with time and more enlightenment the other tribes began to agitate that the name Igarra-Edo was not truly representative of the actual diversity of the area. But neither did any other single tribe have a simple majority to confer on it the status of overwhelming majority. This led to a logjam which in an attempt to resolve the different tribes, including the Igarrans themselves, had to agree to pick a neutral name to replace Igarra in the name. Owing to historical familiarity with their Akoko neighbors through trade interactions over centuries coupled with the fact that they were already placed in the newly created Western Region, they thought it strategic to adopt the Akoko root and moreso to gain political relevance within the Western Region given the fact that qualification for entitlement from the Regional government was not much by merit as was by real or apparent majority membership.
However with the creation of Midwest, the Yoruba factor became unnecessary and began to die a natural death. For the teaching of Local Language, schools reverted to teaching the mother tongues of the villages in which they were located and the use of Yoruba language in communication became progressively discouraged and resented. In the end the only Yoruboid village that ever existed in Akoko-Edo and was actually founded by Yorubas was encouraged to get themselves carved into Ondo State. And this was done in IBB's 1991 States creation and boundary adjustment as the village in question called Imeri located on the Northwestern end of Akoko-Edo was carved into Ondo State.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 1:49am On Dec 27, 2017
orhiomwon:
Don't Mention My Name Again
Are you for real?

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 1:58am On Dec 27, 2017
macof:

If you don't know the difference between Kingdom and Empire that's not my problem really

And I purposely stated 6 because parts of Orhiomwon belongs to Ika - Igbos

Rather than charge out on "ethnic defence mission" you should have stated what you think Bini kingdom comprises and prove how I'm wrong.
So because part of Orhiomwon consists of Ikas, then the whole of Orhiomwon is not Edo? What kind of logic is this one? Then what language is the name "Orhiomwon" itself? And I guess the non-Ika parts of Orhiomwon are Yorubas, right? Guy your expansionism drive stinks. Your actual Yoruba brothers are trapped in Kogi and Kwara States and have been agitating to join their kits and kind in either Ondo or Ekiti but ironically and unfortunately you feel more concerned about dragging into Ondo state the Edo tribes who have never agitated for such. Please where on earth does this kind of absurdity happen? Why not focus on your real brothers who have always been erroneously placed in the Northern Regions since before 1900?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by OlaoChi: 2:05am On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

The Akokos in Kogi and Ondo are actually Yorubas but Akoko-Edos are not. I am an Akoko-Edo person and I tell this to you as the horses mouth.

Akoko-Edo was cut into Midwest along with other Edoid tribes because they were clearly not Yorubas and had nothing in common with them otherwise they would have been left in the Western Region during the creation of Midwest.
As for the Yoruba factor, here is the truth, kiss it for once:

thanks you actually have something to say unlike the other two trolling grin

I have more questions though
If you say the Akoko-edo are not in any way connected to Akoko in Ondo and Kogi but adopted the name "Akoko" for commercial and political purposes what is to say they didn't adopt the "edo" suffix for similar reason
bear in mind that "Edo" as an ethnic description refers to the people of the Benin Kingdom, similar people are just "Edoid" ie. Edo-like, people like Esan and Afemai are not Benin

Also the op, who claims to come from Ibillo stated that Ibillo was founded by Yoruba migrants, what then is the true foundation of Ibillo

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 2:09am On Dec 27, 2017
9jakool:

Even suggesting all of Ovia is too generous. There are Yoruba dialects like Ikale and Usen spoken in parts of Ovia NE and Ovia SW.
Those are not Yoruba dialects. What you have there is just convergence of words. For example in Igarra there local are names like Ozioma, Eneze, Ubani, etc which also are borne by Igbos and have Igbo meanings, but it is mere convergence and does not establish any linguistic affinity between the two peoples.
When the usen people however speak the Yoruba person does not understand.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 2:17am On Dec 27, 2017
Just ask the yoruba what is not a yoruba "dialect" ?
To the yoruba it seems every langauage is a "yoruba dialect"
I bet they even consider Edo a "yoruba dialect".
Can they speak the languages they refer to as "yoruba dialects" ? The answer is no, but logics don't matter to yoruba (which is why they do very badly at school, by the way).
Poor fellows who wanted to learn yoruba, please don't hell will fall upon you if you learn this cursed language from these illogical people.

Deadlytruth:

Those are not Yoruba dialects. What you have there is just convergence of words. For example in Igarra there local are names like Ozioma, Eneze, Ubani, etc which also are borne by Igbos and have Igbo meanings, but it is mere convergence and does not establish any linguistic affinity between the two peoples.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 2:28am On Dec 27, 2017
OlaoChi:

thanks you actually have something to say unlike the other two trolling grin

I have more questions though
If you say the Akoko-edo are not in any way connected to Akoko in Ondo and Kogi but adopted the name "Akoko" for commercial and political purposes what is to say they didn't adopt the "edo" suffix for similar reason
bear in mind that "Edo" as an ethnic description refers to the people of the Benin Kingdom, similar people are just "Edoid" ie. Edo-like, people like Esan and Afemai are not Benin

Also the op, who claims to come from Ibillo stated that Ibillo was founded by Yoruba migrants, what then is the true foundation of Ibillo
Thanks a lot. The truth is that all Edoid people see themselves as part of the Benin Kingdom on account of the fact that they all at one time or the other migrated from Benin even though in their new destinations they fell outside the sphere of influence of the Oba of Benin.
For example the Etsakos' documented history has it that they were a clan in Benin which decided to migrate out of Benin to the present location in anger over a policy of the king which was not favourable to the continued existence of that clan within the Kingdom, so they chose to migrate to a location where they would be totally outside the influence of the unfriendly Benin King. And actually they achieved just that by moving to the Etsakos areas of today. Now should that suggest that they are not actually Edo's just because they deliberately took themselves out of the Benin Kingdom's physical boundaries? Another example is the Ebu clan which actually left Idah and settled in their current location in Northern part of Delta State in search of total freedom from the Attah of Idah's influence. Now does the existence of Ebus outside Attah's influence for centuries now translate to being no longer descendants of the Igala Kingdom?
As for the OP's claim that Ibillo has roots among Yorubas, it is a difficult assertion as the Okpameri language which Ibillo people speak shares more words with Edo Language than Yoruba if at all it does. Their dressing and traditional institutions reflect mostly Benin. The OP did not however give plausible details of the Yoruba involved founding of Ibillo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 3:51am On Dec 27, 2017
Take a look at the pre-colonial maps which I provided.
You see yoruba insult two of your brothers and compliment you and then you say thank you to them.
SMH. Remember the strategy of devide and conquer.

Deadlytruth:

Thanks a lot. The truth is that all Edoid people see themselves as part of the Benin Kingdom on account of the fact that they all at one time or the other migrated from Benin even though in their new destinations they fell outside the sphere of influence of the Oba of Benin.
For example the Etsakos' documented history has it that they were a clan in Benin which decided to migrate out of Benin to the present location in anger over a policy of the king which was not favourable to the continued existence of that clan within the Kingdom, so they chose to migrate to a location where they would be totally outside the influence of the unfriendly Benin King. And actually they achieved just that by moving to the Etsakos areas of today. Now should that suggest that they are not actually Edo's just because they deliberately took themselves out of the Benin Kingdom's physical boundaries? Another example is the Ebu clan which actually left Idah and settled in their current location in Northern part of Delta State in search of total freedom from the Attah of Idah's influence. Now does the existence of Ebus outside Attah's influence for centuries now translate to being no longer descendants of the Igala Kingdom?
As for the OP's claim that Ibillo has roots among Yorubas, it is a difficult assertion as the Okpameri language which Ibillo people speak shares more words with Edo Language than Yoruba if at all it does. Their dressing and traditional institutions reflect mostly Benin. The OP did not however give plausible details of the Yoruba involved founding of Ibillo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 9:32am On Dec 27, 2017
historyworld031:
Take a look at the pre-colonial maps which I provided.
You see yoruba insult two of your brothers and compliment you and then you say thank you to them.
SMH. Remember the strategy of devide and conquer.

I only thanked him for being more logical in his approach. At least he acknowledged the superior argument and the fact that as an Akoko-Edo person he can't know me more than I know myself and my people. This is unlike the other guy who by his arrogant tone has been implying that he, despite being an alien, knows Akoko-Edo people better than they know themselves.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 10:44am On Dec 27, 2017
I would rather debate with a donkey than a Yoruba !!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 10:46am On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

You are obviously a typical uneducated Yoruba bigot on an expansionism mission that has already failed. The guy schooled you. Live with that.

Much as you don't have to be Edo before you can know about Edo, you however can't know Edo more than the Edos themselves. I may have a lot of literature about Yorubas at my disposal online but that will and can never make me more knowledgeable about Yorubas than a Yoruba person born and bred in Yoruba land. So when an Edo person born and bred in Edo State speaks you listen and learn from his first hand knowledge rather than insist on the incomplete and inaccurate knowledge you gleaned from online articles and books written by non-native scholars like you. You don't claim you know me more than I know myself. That is absurd and moronic.

So you went all that length to resist the Izoduwa story which appears to you as a Binis' attempt to impose their own version of your identity on you yet you are here at the same time trying to impose your own concocted idea of Akoko-Edo people's Identify and history on them even when an Akoko-Edo person is here refuting it all and telling you the fact as a native? Is that not hypocritic? See your life?

Sorry for you. I am an Akoko-Edo person born and brought up there and still live there. You are hallucinating. Almost all Akoko-Edo towns and villages are inhabited by ancient Bini Migrants. Most of their languages and dialects share a lot of words with Bini Language. Ibillo people are part of the ethnic group called Okpameri which is the largest in Akoko-Edo. Other Okpameri towns are Lampese, Bekuma, Imoga, Kakumo, Somorika, Ekor, Ilepi, Ugboshi Afe, Ugboshi Ele, Makeke, Anyauza, Ogbe, etc. None of them was founded by any Yoruba historical figure. They all migrated from Benin at different times.
The next largest tribe is the Uneme tribe which has towns and villages like Uneme-Nekhua, Uneme Erhurhu, Uneme-Akpama, Uneme-Osu, Ekpedo, etc. None of them was founded by any Yoruba. Unemes are metal smiths till today - a skill they carried from their ancestral Benin home. Their language is almost purely Benin.
Igarra is just the largest town but not the largest tribe. In fact Igarra is the third largest tribe in Akoko-Edo. So your assumption that the largest size of Igarra automatically translates to largest tribe status for them showcases your stark ignorance about Akoko-Edo and further proves that you are on an expansionism mission which will surely fail.
Other Akoko-Edo settlements are Okpe, Ijaja, Enwan, Akuku, Ososo, Egbigere, Sasaro, Ushi, Anyaran, Ojirami, Ojah, Atteh, Ikpeshi, etc.They are all together fifty six in number. None of them has any history of being founded by Yorubas.
Akoko-Edo is in Edo State while Akoko-Ondo is in Ondo State. So I am left wondering what you mean by your claim that they are together. Akoko-Edo was cut into Midwest along with other Edoid tribes because they were clearly not Yorubas and had nothing in common with them otherwise they would have been left in the Western Region during the creation of Midwest.
As for the Yoruba factor about which you exposed immense ignorance, here is the truth, kiss it for once:

Nice to see my Akoko Edo brothers actually coming out to Skool this Yoruba bigots!!.... Excellent write up bro backed with Intellectual facts not even Satan can dispute

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 11:12am On Dec 27, 2017
AxxeMan:

Nice to see my Akoko Edo brothers actually coming out to Skool this Yoruba bigots!!.... Excellent write up bro backed with Intellectual facts not even Satan can dispute

Nice to have you around my Akoko-Edo brother.
You see I am currently leading the creation of awareness at home the need for us to cast off the "Akoko" root in our name as all it has given us is unnecessary identity crisis over the years.
We currently agitate for a hybrid name derived by combination of initials of all the various ethnic groups of the area.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by AxxeMan: 11:22am On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Nice to have you around my Akoko-Edo brother.
You see I am currently leading the creation of awareness at home the need for us to cast off the "Akoko" root in our name as all it has given us is unnecessary identity crisis over the years.
We currently agitate for a hybrid name derived by combination of initials of all the various ethnic groups of the area.

This will be a very welcome development ..... Some greedy Yoruba tribal bigots are trying to capitalise on that Akoko tag which has zero significance to us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 1:14pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

For someone who denies already established facts to call me a bigot grin grin

And questioning my education...really? I question yours and your sanity too because you first posted on this thread about specifically Igarra ...now you found a way to drag all Akoko-edo towns

You lack consistency

what is absurd and moronic is this assertion that study and research is irrelevant. Like being of an ethnicity automatically gives one the divine knowledge of the history and culture without being properly educated on the issue

basic facts are already established, research have been carried out

And my point is simple:

Akoko-edo is multi cultural and multi lingual with migrants from different places, with Bini and Yorubaland being just two of such places
But in modern times the Yoruba factor is being reinforced

Simple basic point that no sane person doesn't already know

Oh Geez... Akoko-Edos on this thread since page 1 never denied the Yoruba factors in the area, so how are Yorubas forcing a concoction on them?
I believe the op of the thread is not less Akoko Edo than you are...
Then again this is a faceless forum anybody can claim to be anything but why should anybody take your word over that of the op and others?

I don't deny the Bini factors, even there are also Nupe factors

I'll also add that
1. there are towns with Yoruba names like Aiyegunle, Aiyetoro, Ikiran-ile, Ikiran-oke

Anyone can recognize these as Yoruba naming patterns
Unless you want to deny these towns don't exist

2. Many Akoko-Edos have Yoruba names
3. The Yoruba clothing style is worn by even monarchs
4. The monarchs like Olokpe of Okpe are styled using Yoruba pattern of styling royal titles
Oni-okpe = olokpe
How can you deny even a little Yoruba influence?

You lack comprehension.. I never stated Igarra are the largest group...

My words I believe were "ibillo and igarra are the largest towns "

Smh. I never said these people are originally Yoruba...get the point!

I said, Yoruba factors exist among them and it has been growing in post-colonial times

It was not called Igarra-Edo but Akoko-igarra

The name 'Akoko' has always been there
The "Edo" is the part of description that was most recently added due to administration changes

You are just deliberating trying to force an Edo on Akoko-Edos

I am not going to do another back and forth with you, these are simple information that only insanity can deny

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 3:27pm On Dec 27, 2017
macof:
For someone who denies already established facts to call me a bigot grin grin

And questioning my education...really? I question yours and your sanity too because you first posted on this thread about specifically Igarra ...now you found a way to drag all Akoko-edo towns

You lack consistency

what is absurd and moronic is this assertion that study and research is irrelevant. Like being of an ethnicity automatically gives one the divine knowledge of the history and culture without being properly educated on the issue

basic facts are already established, research have been carried out

And my point is simple:

Akoko-edo is multi cultural and multi lingual with migrants from different places, with Bini and Yorubaland being just two of such places
But in modern times the Yoruba factor is being reinforced

Simple basic point that no sane person doesn't already know

Oh Geez... Akoko-Edos on this thread since page 1 never denied the Yoruba factors in the area, so how are Yorubas forcing a concoction on them?
I believe the op of the thread is not less Akoko Edo than you are...
Then again this is a faceless forum anybody can claim to be anything but why should anybody take your word over that of the op and others?

I don't deny the Bini factors, even there are also Nupe factors

I'll also add that
1. there are towns with Yoruba names like Aiyegunle, Aiyetoro, Ikiran-ile, Ikiran-oke

Anyone can recognize these as Yoruba naming patterns
Unless you want to deny these towns don't exist

2. Many Akoko-Edos have Yoruba names
3. The Yoruba clothing style is worn by even monarchs
4. The monarchs like Olokpe of Okpe are styled using Yoruba pattern of styling royal titles
Oni-okpe = olokpe
How can you deny even a little Yoruba influence?

You lack comprehension.. I never stated Igarra are the largest group...

My words I believe were "ibillo and igarra are the largest towns "

Smh. I never said these people are originally Yoruba...get the point!

I said, Yoruba factors exist among them and it has been growing in post-colonial times

It was not called Igarra-Edo but Akoko-igarra

The name 'Akoko' has always been there
The "Edo" is the part of description that was most recently added due to administration changes

You are just deliberating trying to force an Edo on Akoko-Edos

I am not going to do another back and forth with you, these are simple information that only insanity can deny

"Established" facts? By which authority? Establishment of "facts" could be imaginary but does not and cannot be substituted for truth which does not need to be established by anyone as it has always been.

I first posted about Igarra in response to an attempt by another expansionist to tag Igarra as Yorubas and impose Yoruba identity on them. It would not have made sense for me to have involved the whole Akoko-Edo in my response to his false assertions which focused only on Igarra. That you expect me to have brought the entire Akoko-Edo into my response over an issue that was specifically focused on Igarra puts your education and sanity to question once more.

If you think being born and brought up and still living in a place and being from the place is does not naturally endow the person with education and accurate knowledge about that place, then I don't expect you to know how moronic and absurd it is for an alien to believe that mere academic research is more reliable than being a native. By the way who first ever gave information to the authors of those academic works other than the natives themselves?
In order of superiority the factors that determine accuracy of knowledge about a given people are as follows
1. Being a native born and brought up in the area.
2. Having travelled to the place to see and feel those people on first hand basis
3. Reliance on academic research and hearsay.
Unfortunately the third category is where you belong and assume it takes position number 1.

There are no Akoko-Edo people who originated from anywhere in Yoruba land. You have continued to make this false assertion unsubstantiated.
Your claim that Akoko-Edos on this thread have earlier on asserted their Yorubaness smacks of lack of comprehension typical of a bigoted alien on an expansionist drive.
In fact the OP's post asserts that Ibillo people are Edo-speaking and not Yoruba-speaking. A truly Yoruba people are too conservative to have become Edo-speaking on arrival and settling in another land. In fact Yorubas have this assumption that their language is superior to all others thus an average Yoruba person not only resents learning the language of any Nigeria minority tribe but feels offended if spoken around him. I remember how, in my office in Lagos, once an Akoko-Edo colleague of mine and I begin to communicate in our mother tongue the Yorubas who formed the majority there would start protesting and demanding that we stopped speaking in a language they could not comprehend as if we could comprehend them each time they spoke to themselves in their own Yoruba language. A people who are so averse to and loathsome of other languages could never have migrated to a new land and adopt the language of the locality to the abandonment of their own.

You actually are guilty of the inconsistency you accuse me of as you now claim you never said these people are Yorubas but only possess Yoruba influence. You started by claiming that there are towns founded by Yorubas. How better than that can one claim that a people are originally Yorubas? Your education is doubtful with these self reversals.

I never denied certain Yoruba influence but I explained the reason for those influence as being purely political and administrative strategies to acquire relevance within the Yoruba dominated Western Region in which the people found themselves by default. All such Yoruba influence started post colonization as an indication of the underlying political necessity which later got accentuated by their inclusion in the newly created Western Region. Even in Igarra, the two main quarters which make up the town used to be originally called Ubobo and Eba (i.e Utah and Ufah combined) but with inclusion in the Western Region these quarters became renamed as Igarra-Oke and Igarra-Sale. A similar thing happened about Ikiran-ile and Ikiran-Oke. Does that now suggest that Igarra people were ever actually Yorubas? However, with our inclusion in the Midwest the Igarra-Oke and Igarra-Sale nomenclature got discarded and the Original Ubobo and Eba were restored till today.
The towns Aiyetoro and Aiyegunle started as farming camps established by Ebiras but named by the Yorubas who however first came to patronize them of the produce. Aiyegunle and Aiyetoro have no monarchs as they are not really fully fledged towns or villages.
We also have such Ebira farming settlement along the Ishua-Idoani-Ipele Expressway of Ondo State. Does that suggest that there are Ebiras indigenous to Ondo State or that there are Yoruba towns founded by Ebiras?

Many Akoko-Edos actually gave Yoruba names to their children in the past in pursuit of strategic relevance under the Yoruba dominated Western Region. However all that became unnecessary in the wake of our rightful inclusion in the Midwestern Region, hence the trend started getting reversed. It is impossible now for any Akoko-Edo person to give a Yoruba name to his newly born child. It is either religious or native names.
Your claim that "Akoko" has always been part of their name is another evidence that you are just desperate to force Yorubaism on them. By using always you suggest that they were referred to as Akoko even before colonization. That is a fraudulent claim. They were from the beginning autonomous settlements which related minimally with one another. All this collective nomenclature necessity arose in the colonial era and due to language barrier then they were not much consulted by the colonial officers about administrative decisions about them. They never knew anything "Akoko" from their remotest beginnings. But they had from time immemorial always had the "Edo" tag. There is a village called Ekpedo i.e. Ekpe - Edo before colonization, they bore names which had "Edo" prefix, but not Akoko.
How does Oni-Okpe equate to Olokpe?
Okpe is not a Yoruba word. Olo is totally different from the Yoruba word Ooni. We have Olokpe of Okpe and not Ooni of Okpe, so cut that crap. Do Okpe people speak Yoruba or Bini?
What gives dressing uniqueness to Edo monarchs is not the dress style but the circular beads. You are again ignorant of that. Pay a visit to Okpe and see things at a very close range and you'll be blown out of your socks.
As for the Nupe influence you alluded to; Yes due to Nupe invasion between 1875 and 1900 some Nupe names like Damisa, Saiki, Idaudu, etc got adopted and children got given them. But have you seen any Nupe person on this thread capitalizing on that to claim that Akoko-Edos are Nupes?
You are rather trying to force Yorubaism on Akoko-Edos. However by the time we cast off the Akoko tag in our name you'll understand better

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:
"Established" facts? By which authority? Establishment of "facts" could be imaginary but does not and cannot be substituted for truth which does not need to be established by anyone as it has always been.

I first posted about Igarra in response to an attempt by another expansionist to tag Igarra as Yorubas and impose Yoruba identity on them. It would not have made sense for me to have involved the whole Akoko-Edo in my response to his false assertions which focused only on Igarra. That you expect me to have brought the entire Akoko-Edo into my response over an issue that was specifically focused on Igarra puts your education and sanity to question once more.

If you think being born and brought up and still living in a place and being from the place is does not naturally endow the person with education and accurate knowledge about that place, then I don't expect you to know how moronic and absurd it is for an alien to believe that mere academic research is more reliable than being a native. By the way who first ever gave information to the authors of those academic works other than the natives themselves?
In order of superiority the factors that determine accuracy of knowledge about a given people are as follows
1. Being a native born and brought up in the area.
2. Having travelled to the place to see and feel those people on first hand basis
3. Reliance on academic research and hearsay.
Unfortunately the third category is where you belong and assume it takes position number 1.

There are no Akoko-Edo people who originated from anywhere in Yoruba land. You have continued to make this false assertion unsubstantiated.
Your claim that Akoko-Edos on this thread have earlier on asserted their Yorubaness smacks of lack of comprehension typical of a bigoted alien on an expansionist drive.
In fact the OP's post asserts that Ibillo people are Edo-speaking and not Yoruba-speaking. A truly Yoruba people are too conservative to have become Edo-speaking on arrival and settling in another land. In fact Yorubas have this assumption that their language is superior to all others thus an average Yoruba person not only resents learning the language of any Nigeria minority tribe but feels offended if spoken around him. I remember how, in my office in Lagos, once an Akoko-Edo colleague of mine and I begin to communicate in our mother tongue the Yorubas who formed the majority there would start protesting and demanding that we stopped speaking in a language they could not comprehend as if we could comprehend them each time they spoke to themselves in their own Yoruba language. A people who are so averse to and loathsome of other languages could never have migrated to a new land and adopt the language of the locality to the abandonment of their own.

You actually are guilty of the inconsistency you accuse me of as you now claim you never said these people are Yorubas but only possess Yoruba influence. You started by claiming that there are towns founded by Yorubas. How better than that can one claim that a people are originally Yorubas? Your education is doubtful with these self reversals.

I never denied certain Yoruba influence but I explained the reason for those influence as being purely political and administrative strategies to acquire relevance within the Yoruba dominated Western Region in which the people found themselves by default. All such Yoruba influence started post colonization as an indication of the underlying political necessity which later got accentuated by their inclusion in the newly created Western Region. Even in Igarra, the two main quarters which make up the town used to be originally called Ubobo and Eba (i.e Utah and Ufah combined) but with inclusion in the Western Region these quarters became renamed as Igarra-Oke and Igarra-Sale. A similar thing happened about Ikiran-ile and Ikiran-Oke. Does that now suggest that Igarra people were ever actually Yorubas? However, with our inclusion in the Midwest the Igarra-Oke and Igarra-Sale nomenclature got discarded and the Original Ubobo and Eba were restored till today.
The towns Aiyetoro and Aiyegunle started as farming camps established by Ebiras but named by the Yorubas who however first came to patronize them of the produce. Aiyegunle and Aiyetoro have no monarchs as they are not really fully fledged towns or villages.
We also have such Ebira farming settlement along the Ishua-Idoani-Ipele Expressway of Ondo State. Does that suggest that there are Ebiras indigenous to Ondo State or that there are Yoruba towns founded by Ebiras?

Many Akoko-Edos actually gave Yoruba names to their children in the past in pursuit of strategic relevance under the Yoruba dominated Western Region. However all that became unnecessary in the wake of our rightful inclusion in the Midwestern Region, hence the trend started getting reversed. It is impossible now for any Akoko-Edo person to give a Yoruba name to his newly born child. It is either religious or native names.
Your claim that "Akoko" has always been part of their name is another evidence that you are just desperate to force Yorubaism on them. By using always you suggest that they were referred to as Akoko even before colonization. That is a fraudulent claim. They were from the beginning autonomous settlements which related minimally with one another. All this collective nomenclature necessity arose in the colonial era and due to language barrier then they were not much consulted by the colonial officers about administrative decisions about them. They never knew anything "Akoko" from their remotest beginnings. But they had from time immemorial always had the "Edo" tag. There is a village called Ekpedo i.e. Ekpe - Edo before colonization, they bore names which had "Edo" prefix, but not Akoko.
How does Oni-Okpe equate to Olokpe?
Okpe is not a Yoruba word. Olo is totally different from the Yoruba word Ooni. We have Olokpe of Okpe and not Ooni of Okpe
, so cut that crap. Do Okpe people speak Yoruba or Bini?
What gives dressing uniqueness to Edo monarchs is not the dress style but the circular beads. You are again ignorant of that. Pay a visit to Okpe and see things at a very close range and you'll be blown out of your socks.
As for the Nupe influence you alluded to; Yes due to Nupe invasion between 1875 and 1900 some Nupe names like Damisa, Saiki, Idaudu, etc got adopted and children got given them. But have you seen any Nupe person on this thread capitalizing on that to claim that Akoko-Edos are Nupes?
You are rather trying to force Yorubaism on Akoko-Edos. However by the time we cast off the Akoko tag in our name you'll understand better

I've already told you I'm not engaging in any further back and forths with you.

Established descriptions are there and well known by Nigerians....deal with it

Unless Akoko edos make a bold act like cast the "akoko" name off or come out in a committee to denounce the pre-colonial Yoruba factors to challenge the established demographic description...Akoko-Edos will continue to be described as an Akoko people with some Yoruba heritage

P.s that bold part tho grin grin grin You lack comprehension and knowledge I swear, what's wrong with Bini people(I choose to believe you are Bini) these days?? So much intellectual deficiency. And I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you grin

5 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by OlaoChi: 4:08pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Urhobo certainly do not and they are Edoid, I think you underestimate the psychological effect of political boundaries
if Itsekiri were in Edo state, they would be a lot closer to Benin than Akoko-Edo, do you agree? Similarly if they were in Ondo state they would be closer to Yorubas than Benin.
If they left the Benin Kingdom, how can you then say they are still part of the Kingdom they already left? is that not contradictory?

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Please stop saying what you don't know. If at all your assumption that Bini kingdom was limited to the present Edo South LGAs were to be regarded as the truth, then it would have also failed because there are actually 7 LGAs in Edo South and not 6 as you would want your readers to believe. They are
1. Oredo
2. Orhiomwon
3. Uselu
4. Ikpoba-Okah
5. Ovia NE
6. Ovia SW
7. Uhumwode.

Please your knowledge about Edo people is not detailed hence your false assumptions regarding the Kingdom and its people.

Hahaha, Ijaw claims in Ovia SW is only the begining of Bini peoples’ problems.
lol

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 4:48pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Thank you for taking your time to school him. He resides far away in Ife and from there he is saying who belongs to Edo and who doesn't, yet when Binis claim his Ife was first ruled by Ozoduwa a Benin prince he gets annoyed. How can an Ife man claim he knows Akoko-Edo more than the people themselves? There is no part of Akoko-Edo that Yorubas are indigenous to. 95℅ of the towns and villages are made up of Benin Migrants whose languages have over time diverged from one another due to differences in times of exodus from the Benin Kingdom. The remaining 5℅ are the Oshuku descendants there whose migrational origin is suspected to be entirely outside Nigeria.
The Akoko root in the name Akoko-Edo was purely for administrative identity and does not in any way connote any cultural or linguistic relationship with Yorubas.
If they are actually Yorubas then how come Yoruba chiefs in the Western Region Assembly pre-Midwest creation used to refer to them derogatorily as "kobokobo" by which they meant a strange people whose languages were incomprehensible?
Yorubas should leave Edo State alone please.
They accuse Kanu of dragging the SS into Biafra but are themselves guilty of dragging a non-Yoruba people into Oodua. This is shameful and hypocritical.

I guess as an edo person feeling more connection to Igbos or “Kogi people” kinda depends on the part of the state you or the supposed people in question come from.
You are actually very correct, because come to think about it, Edo is a multiethnic state comprising of extensionf of the various ethnic groups that surround it- including Yoruba, Ika (Igbo), Ijaw, Ebira, Igala, Itsekiri, even some Urhobo all having land stakes in the highly artificial “Edo state” - So yeeea- obviously different parts of Edo state feel more connections to certain entities than others.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 4:51pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Thank you for taking your time to school him. He resides far away in Ife and from there he is saying who belongs to Edo and who doesn't, yet when Binis claim his Ife was first ruled by Ozoduwa a Benin prince he gets annoyed. How can an Ife man claim he knows Akoko-Edo more than the people themselves? There is no part of Akoko-Edo that Yorubas are indigenous to. 95℅ of the towns and villages are made up of Benin Migrants whose languages have over time diverged from one another due to differences in times of exodus from the Benin Kingdom. The remaining 5℅ are the Oshuku descendants there whose migrational origin is suspected to be entirely outside Nigeria.
The Akoko root in the name Akoko-Edo was purely for administrative identity and does not in any way connote any cultural or linguistic relationship with Yorubas.
If they are actually Yorubas then how come Yoruba chiefs in the Western Region Assembly pre-Midwest creation used to refer to them derogatorily as "kobokobo" by which they meant a strange people whose languages were incomprehensible?
Yorubas should leave Edo State alone please.
They accuse Kanu of dragging the SS into Biafra but are themselves guilty of dragging a non-Yoruba people into Oodua. This is shameful and hypocritical.

I guess as an edo person feeling more connection to Igbos or “Kogi people” kinda depends on the part of the state you or the supposed people in question come from.
You are actually very correct, because come to think about it, Edo is a multiethnic state comprising of extensionf of the various ethnic groups that surround it- including Yoruba, Ika (Igbo), Ijaw, Ebira, Igala, Itsekiri, even some Urhobo all having land stakes in the highly artificial “Edo state” - So yeeea- obviously different parts of Edo state feel more connections to certain entities than others.

Btw:Yorubas never called Akoko-Edo “Kobo-kobo”
Awolowo even wanted the Akoko -Edo and Itsekiri sections of the old Western region to remain.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 4:54pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Please stop saying what you don't know. If at all your assumption that Bini kingdom was limited to the present Edo South LGAs were to be regarded as the truth, then it would have also failed because there are actually 7 LGAs in Edo South and not 6 as you would want your readers to believe. They are
1. Oredo
2. Orhiomwon
3. Uselu
4. Ikpoba-Okah
5. Ovia NE
6. Ovia SW
7. Uhumwode.

Please your knowledge about Edo people is not detailed hence your false assumptions regarding the Kingdom and its people.

Nothing like Uselu LG maybe you meant Egor, which is basically a section of Benin itself.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 5:11pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Stop being ignorant those places are Yoruba. lol
This isn’t simply about a convergence of tongues.
The title of the King in Usen is Olu Ogbe and Elawure (Olu Awure) and their oral history traces rightfully back to Ife- not Benin.

Edo state is more complex than just your little corner of it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 11:24pm On Dec 27, 2017
macof:

I've already told you I'm not engaging in any further back and forths with you.

Established descriptions are there and well known by Nigerians....deal with it

Unless Akoko edos make a bold act like cast the "akoko" name off or come out in a committee to denounce the pre-colonial Yoruba factors to challenge the established demographic description...Akoko-Edos will continue to be described as an Akoko people with some Yoruba heritage

P.s that bold part tho grin grin grin You lack comprehension and knowledge I swear, what's wrong with Bini people(I choose to believe you are Bini) these days?? So much intellectual deficiency. And I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you grin

Even if they come out through a committee to make the necessary clarifications will your expansionist drive allow you see such for what it is?
Only expansionist Yorubas will continue describing Akoko-Edo people as descendants of Akokos of Ondo. No other tribe in Nigeria does that and will ever do.
You lack honesty and comprehension combined to assume that a Bini person could be so knowledgeable of the finest details about Akoko-Edo individual towns and villages. It is indeed shameful that rather than try to counter or acknowledge the details I have provided you about your posers, you decided to take the escapist route by claiming you suspect I am Bini. If I were Bini and my submissions about Akoko-Edo are false, then why has no other Akoko-Edo person here come out to refute my claims all this while? A brother of mine here has actually said it all here that it is more useful debating with a donkey than with a Yoruba.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by 9jakool: 11:31pm On Dec 27, 2017
Deadlytruth:

I beg to differ. I was blown away upon discovering that the native Usen speech is more related to Yoruba than Edo. Let me ask you this. Can an Edo person understand people from Usen when they are conversing in their native tongue? (Not Edo language)

Igarra people are just a cut off Ebira group in Akoko Edo. I'm not here to argue that Akoko Edo people are Yoruba. I'm aware of the convergence evolution of languages in Akoko Edo and Nigeria at large, but I'm not talking about that. I'm simply referring to the existence of Yoruba cross-cultural communities in Ovia.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 11:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
scholes0:

Stop being ignorant those places are Yoruba. lol
This isn’t simply about a convergence of tongues.
The title of the King in Usen is Olu Ogbe and Elawure (Olu Awure) and their oral history traces rightfully back to Ife- not Benin.

Edo state is more complex than just your little corner of it.

Stop your expansionist drive. They are not Yorubas. They don't speak Yoruba but Bini. How does the mere title of a king determine a people's tribe? Binis have substantially proven wrong the theory that they originated from Ife. If Yorubas themselves could claim that their progenitor dropped from the sky then which sensible person should believe whatever other account they give about themselves let alone others?
Yorubas can twist any foreign lands title to make it sound like it's origin is rooted in Yoruba Language. So who takes them seriously on the Elawure twist to Olu-Awure?
Didn't a fellow expansionist of yours just attempt to twist Olokpe to Ooni-Okpe? When did Yoruba start having 'kp' in their spelling system?

Yes, Edo State is complex, but an alien will definitely not understand it better than the native.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 11:49pm On Dec 27, 2017
9jakool:

I beg to differ. I was blown away upon discovering that the native Usen speech is more related to Yoruba than Edo. Let me ask you this. Can an Edo person understand people from Usen when they are conversing in their native tongue? (Not Edo language)

Igarra people are just a cut off Ebira group in Akoko Edo. I'm not here to argue that Akoko Edo people are Yoruba. I'm aware of the convergence evolution of languages in Akoko Edo and Nigeria at large, but I'm not talking about that. I'm simply referring to the existence of Yoruba cross-cultural communities in Ovia.

Point of correction! There is nothing like Ebira group from which Igarra people are cut. Both Ebiras and Igarras belonge to the Oshuku descendants with coordinate status. Igarra are therefore not a subset of Ebiras as most people erroneously think. Both Igarras and Ebiras are different subsets of the Oshuku tribe.
Oshuku is the generic name and not Ebira.
On the Usen issue; Could you, as a Yoruba, understand and interprete what the Usen person was saying?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2017
scholes0:

Nothing like Uselu LG maybe you meant Egor, which is basically a section of Benin itself.

How does that now confer veracity on your brother's claim that there are 6 LGAs in Bini land?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by 9jakool: 12:10am On Dec 28, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Point of correction! There is nothing like Ebira group from which Igarra people are cut. Both Ebiras and Igarras belonge to the Oshuku descendants with coordinate status. Igarra are therefore not a subset of Ebiras as most people erroneously think. Both Igarras and Ebiras are different subsets of the Oshuku tribe.
On the Usen issue; Could you, as a Yoruba, understand and interprete what the Usen person was saying?
Yes.
Sure there are traces of loan words borrowed from Edo due to close proximity, but the language by all means is a Yoruba tongue. It's the same way an Ilaje can understand Itsekiri far better than an Edo speaker can. If you speak Yoruba, you can have at the very least a basic understanding of any Yoruba dialect or Yoruboid language for that matter. You can understand Usen or Siluko speech better if you speak an archaic Yoruba, or a nearby dialect, like those in Ondo. Now I'm going to direct the same question to you. Can you understand the native Usen speech as an Edo speaker?

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 12:18am On Dec 28, 2017
scholes0:

Btw:Yorubas never called Akoko-Edo “Kobo-kobo”
Awolowo even wanted the Akoko -Edo and Itsekiri sections of the old Western region to remain.

You are off track here. The issue in contention is Akoko-Edo and not the generality of Edo State about which your claims above are still largely wrong and highly uninformed.

I guess it was Hausas and Igbos that called us Kobokobo in the Western Regional House, right?
Denial can only soothe your ego but can't change the truth. We have not forgotten how your chiefs in the Western Regional House would, in observing protocols, greet the Ooni, Alaafin, Awujale and other Yoruba Monarchs and then follow it with the declaration that their greeting of Yoruba Monarchs was completed. They would not recognize any Monarch from the present Edo and Delta among the Yoruba ones deserving of protocols greetings, and those ones would always accept it without questioning as they knew they were actually not Yoruba monarchs.
Why then are the younger Yorubas of today trying to reverse what their elders established?
Awolowo, in protest to Zik's and Ahnadu Bello's hypocrisy of forcefully keeping their own regions intact while seeking a dismemberment of the Western Region, actually did not even initially want any part of the present Edo/Delta to be excised from the Western Region. It was Akintola that allowed it as a trade off to consolidate his illegitimately acquired premiership. All the different districts of the Midwest voted freely to be included.
Awolowo was no expansionist as he had as far back as in the late forties written that Nigerian is a mere geographical expression where there are no Nigerians in the same sense as there are Germans, English, etc, and warned that each ethnic group however tiny must be allowed to be themselves.
However, the Yoruba majority in the Western House referred to Edo/Delta members as Kobokobo and that accentuated the quest by them to break off.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 12:25am On Dec 28, 2017
Deadlytruth:

Stop your expansionist drive. They are not Yorubas. They don't speak Yoruba but Bini. How does the mere title of a king determine a people's tribe? Binis have substantially proven wrong the theory that they originated from Ife. If Yorubas themselves could claim that their progenitor dropped from the sky then which sensible person should believe whatever other account they give about themselves let alone others?
Yorubas can twist any foreign lands title to make it sound like it's origin is rooted in Yoruba Language. So who takes them seriously on the Elawure twist to Olu-Awure?
Didn't a fellow expansionist of yours just attempt to twist Olokpe to Ooni-Okpe? When did Yoruba start having 'kp' in their spelling system?

Yes, Edo State is complex, but an alien will definitely not understand it better than the native.

Hey i said "oni-okpe" not "ooni-okpe"

I said i wasnt going to explain more on this but before this deliberate slander continues ....

Oni - means owner or possessor
And it is typical of Yoruba language to reconstruct the word "oni" to fit the first vowel of the word that is being possessed
E.g.. oni Akara is reconstructed to fit as "alakara"
Oni Owo "owner of money" or rich man = Olowo
This law of Yoruba language is used to style kings as well e.g..
Oni Oyo = Oloyo or Oni Afin = Alafin
Oni Okpe = Olokpe

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Baby Bump: Naomi Ogunwusi Pregnant? / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women / Do African Americans Have A Culture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 285
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.