Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? (21699 Views)

Why God Sometimes Delays / Why Does God Sometimes Allow People To Be In Error? / Tips On How To Win People's Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 4:34pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
it means you are the one that is not ready to know and use it. your mind is fixed.

Nope. I'm open minded. I don't just want to delude myself. That's why I'm an ex-Christian.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Hiswordxray(m): 4:37pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

It is getting funnier. cheesy We are still coming back to where we think we left. "He separated children from b.astards" yet "He created us all".
I can see you are finding it difficult to understand what children is.
Don't worry when you give birth to your own children you would understand the meaning of children.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

Gen 15, Abraham was making a sacifice to God, then a bird came and landed on the sacifice. Abraham chased it away, but God got angry because of that. In verse 13, God told Abraham that his "seed will be stangers in a land that is not theirs. They shall be punished by them and servr them for 400 years" he'll however "deliver them from the land, and punish the land they served" verse 14.

In Exodus 1:11-14, the Israelites are afflicted, made slaves and, in verse 22, got their sons killed.

In chapter 6 verses 5 and 6 God "remembered His covenant" and promised "to deliver them from the burdens of Egyptians"

Thanks.

Genesis 15:14: "But I will judge the nation they will serve, and after that they will go out with many possessions.

Note that this was the Abrahamic covenant. {Exodus 6:5}
God mentioned that after the affliction, his offspring will be given that land.
He also mentioned that after their affliction, they would leave with possessions.

It has a larger fulfillment for us today.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Hiswordxray(m): 4:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

Nope. I'm open minded. I don't just want to delude myself. That's why I'm an ex-Christian.
Is that what you tell yourself?
Even the most deluded person will claim to be open minded.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 4:43pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:
But he created them. Why the difference?

BabaGnoni:
...The difference is as simple as, will you take ownership of what you didnt create, didnt or havent adopted?
- only a thief, a thief like in John 10:10, will do such

Pr0ton:
What are you saying
There are some humans God didn't create

Hiswordxray:
Don't worry when you give birth to your own children you would understand the meaning of children.
^^^
Word up. True Hiswordxray, my good brother
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 4:54pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:
When you hear his voice do not harden your heart.
Brilliant because I was just about saying:
If Mohammed Pr0ton won't go to the mountain Hebrews 3:15
then the mountain Hebrews 3:15 must come to Mohammed Pr0ton

As it is said,
Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.
- Hebrews 3:15 ESV

Scripture says,
"If you hear God speak today, don't be stubborn.
Don't be stubborn like those who rebelled."

- Hebrews 3:15 GOD'S WORD® Translation

For future referencing, note down my underlinings in the above verses and/or different translations

Pr0ton:
It depends on which Bible.
Except you tell me what you are driving at, I might not answer this well.
This is no trick question, whether you answer well or not, doesnt matter
It is a gauge question for my benefit
Dont be shy to give your answers. All that's required is honesty and sincerity

So again, please indulge me and tell, what to your knowledge symbolises the voice of God OR word of God in the bible
(i.e. what symbolism(s) is used for the voice of God or word of God in the bible)
I'll set you off with some examples, the dove symbolises the Holy Spirit, Cloud symbolises the presence of God etcetera

Now, just throw all you have at me, I can take and handle it/them
What symbol
(s) to your knowledge is used for the voice or word of God
Let's have your answer so we can move on to deal with your
"Suffice to say, he hardned his heart before he sent Moses"

Pr0ton:
You didn't get it my point.
Suffice to say, he hardned his heart before he sent Moses.
Bro you made a moot point, and it's actually you who didn't get the point
We are talking of a God that knows the END from the BEGINNING
and in this case, nonetheless went along with the plan
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 5:24pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hiswordxray:

What should we do of the rest humans? Since He knew he won't take them as children why make them run the risk of hell? Why create them at all?
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 5:27pm On Jan 25, 2015
MzNelly:

Thanks.

Genesis 15:14: "But I will judge the nation they will serve, and after that they will go out with many possessions.

Note that this was the Abrahamic covenant. {Exodus 6:5}
God mentioned that after the affliction, his offspring will be given that land.
He also mentioned that after their affliction, they would leave with possessions.

It has a larger fulfillment for us today.

But ma, you make no point here. undecided
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 5:29pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Is that what you tell yourself?
Even the most deluded person will claim to be open minded.

If both parties claim to be open minded, there's only one obvious truth; the one you oppose. Oppose this post, delude yourself.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

But ma, you make no point here. undecided

Okay then.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 5:37pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

If you as well read Exodus 4, the prior incident to the one you pointed out in Exodus 5, you'll see that God had already said in verse 21 that He would harden Pharoah's heart.

And I love the way your loving God punishes people too.
this is the reason why God hardens pharoah's heart.

17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” Rom 9:17.

i don't think God punishes anyone unjustly though. one must have committed some sins.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 5:44pm On Jan 25, 2015
BabaGnoni. grin grin grin

Symbols undecided I don't believe those superstitions how will I be able to provide one Ok. Storm and earthquake represent His anger undecided If you remember Mount Sinai, lightening and thunder represented his voice I think I've provided what you need to continue the discussion...
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Pr0ton: 5:52pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:

17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” Rom 9:17.

i don't think God punishes anyone unjustly though. one must have committed some sins.

That verse is just like saying I made Seun the owner of Nairaland (you know how popular his website is) I then hacked his website and made myself known as the hacker of such big website. How rational and matured would you deem me to be?
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 6:05pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
it seems Pharaoh's heart was already hardened before.

1 Afterward Moses and Aaron went in and told Pharaoh, “Thus says the LORD God of Israel:
‘Let My people go, that they may hold a feast to Me in the wilderness.’ ”
2 And Pharaoh said,
“Who is the LORD, that I should obey His voice to let Israel go? I do not know the LORD, nor will I let Israel go.”
- Exodus 5:1-2.

pharoah wants to contest with God and God had to prove to him that he was far superior to him. no one contest with God.
satan tries it and he was cast out. Nebuchadnezzar tries it and he was turned to an animal for seven years.
Herod tries it and his body gone rotten and eaten by worms. etc.

Pr0ton:
If you as well read Exodus 4, the prior incident to the one you pointed out in Exodus 5,
you'll see that God had already said in verse 21 that He would harden Pharoah's heart.

And I love the way your loving God punishes people too.

clevvermind:

17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh,
“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you,
and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”
- Rom 9:17.

clevvermind cant even make up his mind,
One minute it is "...Pharaoh's heart was already hardened before..."
then next it is "...this is the reason why God hardens pharoah's heart..."

He can try to oversimplify this as much as he wants,
meanwhile the truth and fact of the matter is, just like a kitchen sponge wants to harden up when there is no presence of water
so Pharaoh was, he was eager to harden his heart even upon hearing the voice of God or word of God, God obliged him,
and so God, in effect, hardened the King, Pharaoh's heart, when He, God, backed out and He withdrew His Hands off Pharaoh's heart

1The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes.
2Every man's way is right in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the hearts.
3To do righteousness and justice Is desired by the LORD more than sacrifice.…

- Proverbs 21:2 New American Standard Bible
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

That verse is just like saying I made Seun the owner of Nairaland (you know how popular his website is) I then hacked his website and made myself known as the hacker of such big website. How rational and matured would you deem me to be?
yea. God wants to show his power in Egypt. but through someone who does not regard him like pharoah. he wants to prove to all Egyptians that he is God and beside him, there is no other. he does whatever he says.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2015
37 Who is he who speaks and it comes to pass, When the Lord has not commanded it? 38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High That woe and well-being proceed? 39 Why should a living man complain, A man for the punishment of his sins? 40 Let us search out and examine our ways, And turn back to the LORD; 41 Let us lift our hearts and hands To God in heaven. Lam 3:37-41
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 6:52pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:
What should we do of the rest humans?
Since He knew he won't take them as children why make them run the risk of hell?
Why create them at all?
^^^
Not baulking at creating them at all, that Pr0ton, is the beauty of God respecting everything or everyones right of existence.
It simply is about God honouring creation right to existense
It is God fulfilling everyones right to life and God not violating that right by "aborting" anyone before they expire or time-out.
It comes down to, God restraining Himself inspite of foreknowing our choice (e.g. hardening hearts etcetera)
Selves may not intertwine, but lives do. Everyone has a right to life, and everyones right to live that life is part of God's master plan
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 8:20pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
yea. God wants to show his power in Egypt.
but through someone who does not regard him like pharoah.
he wants to prove to all Egyptians that he is God and beside him, there is no other. he does whatever he says.
^^^
This is rhetoric explaining God off, has having "a low self esteem"
and bent on a mission of disgracing Pharoah and making a wanton public display of the Egyptians!
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 8:26pm On Jan 25, 2015
Pr0ton:
BabaGnoni. grin grin grin

Symbols undecided
I don't believe those superstitions how will I be able to provide one
Ok. Storm and earthquake represent His anger undecided
If you remember Mount Sinai, lightening and thunder represented his voice
I think I've provided what you need to continue the discussion...

Whether you believe or don't believe in symbols, you cant escape symbolisms in the Bible
Whether you like or dont like, the bible is full of symbolism, even life is full of it too...

You may recall the bible phrase "...land flowing with milk and honey..."
well milk is a symbol for prosperity and honey is a symbol for abundance
Milk, also is a symbol for the simple, baby or basic Word of God

You may recall another bible phrase "...Lion of Judah..."
well it's a symbol representing Jesus meaning satan is no match to Jesus returning back like a lion
(i.e. just like, no animal can match the King of the Jungle)

From the Parable of the Sower, seed, is used as a symbol for the word of God.

Water, among many of its other meanings, is a symbol for the voice of God or word of God too
- water softens the ground of the heart and prevent it from hardening
Water soothes, just like the voice of God or word of God which it symbolises does

Bible aside, symbolisms is part of everyday life
Take status symbols for an example, like using the Mercedes Benz key symbol holder to form stinkingly rich aristo big boy

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 9:08pm On Jan 25, 2015
BabaGnoni:

^^^
This is rhetoric explaining God off, has having "a low self esteem"
and bent on a mission of disgracing Pharoah and making a wanton public display of the Egyptians!
God wants to show his power in egypt so that they would know that there is a God who is all powerful that is unknown to them than their magicians, witch, idols etc. God always want to make himself known to such people that don't know him. You know that some later believe in God and went out of Egypt with the Israelite.
God doesn't do that to show off or boast his self-esteem.

Lalasticlala can help us move it to front page to get more views. This is an interesting topic.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
God wants to show his power in egypt
so that they would know that there is a God who is all powerful that is unknown to them than their magicians, witch, idols etc.
God always want to make himself known to such people that don't know him.
You know that some later believe in God and went out of Egypt with the Israelite.
God doesn't do that to show off or boast his self-esteem.

Lalasticlala can help us move it to front page to get more views. This is an interesting topic.

Why not let's thoroughly deal with this "why do God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart?" seemingly confusing and difficult question,
before darting from magicians, witch, idols etc on to
"some later believe in God and went out of Egypt with the Israelite" etc.

In the same vein, you do know that it was, those some, who later "believed" in God and went out of Egypt with the Israelite that instigated the Israelites to build and worship the golden calf

You're making a clarion call for FP. Making FP is overrated.
Brace yourself for a market place and not just more views when
/if it hits FP
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by kindnyce(m): 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
WELL ITS FOR REASON,EVERYTHING THAT OCCURS IN A MAN;S LIFE
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by BabaGnoni: 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2015

Yeepa! It made FP!!
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by jmoore(m): 9:40pm On Jan 25, 2015

In their perpetual quest to find discrepancies in the Bible, to undermine biblical ethics, and to find fault with the actions of God, skeptics have charged that God mistreated Pharaoh by overriding his free will and forcing him to resist the demand of Moses to allow the Israelites to exit Egypt. The skeptics focus on the verses about Pharaoh’s heart, demanding that the God of the Bible is an unjust, cruel being. Steve Wells, the well-known skeptic writer, said: “God begins the process of ‘hardening Pharaoh’s heart’ (see also Exodus 7:3,13, 9:12, 10:1, 20,27, 11:10, 14:4,cool, thus making it impossible for any of the plagues that God sends to have any beneficial effect. But according to 1 Samuel 6:6, God didn’t harden the Pharaoh’s heart; the Pharaoh did it himself” (Wells, 2001).........

Notice that in a very real sense, all four of the following statements are true: (1) God hardened Pharaoh’s heart; (2) Moses hardened Pharaoh’s heart; (3) the words that Moses spoke hardened Pharaoh’s heart; (4) Pharaoh hardened his own heart. All four of these observations are accurate, depicting the same truth from different perspectives. In this sense, God is responsible for everything in the Universe, i.e., He has provided the occasion, the circumstances, and the environment in which all things (including people) operate. But He is not guilty of wrong in so doing. From a quick look at a simple Hebrew idiom, it is clear that God did not unjustly or directly harden Pharaoh’s heart. God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34), He does not act unjustly (Psalms 33:5), and He has always allowed humans to exercise their free moral agency (Deuteronomy 30:19). God, however, does use the wrong, stubborn decisions committed by rebellious sinners to further His causes (Isaiah 10:5-11). In the case of Pharaoh’s hardened heart, God can be charged with no injustice, and the Bible can be charged with no contradiction. Humans were created with free moral agency and are culpable for their own actions.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=11&article=1205
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by haibe(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:
So, what happened to freewill?
the concept of freewill is only an illusion bro. Nothing ever happens if God doesn't allow it

1 Like

Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
But from the passsage that the op sighted it was not the evil spirit that hardened their hearts but God himself. So how does one pray against the will of God in his or her life?
spyroet:
yes ofcourse it is possible for God to harden people"s heart to fufill an ansignment,our mind is our soul and can be manipulated and control either for good or bad that why we must pray very hard n hav faith for we not to be control by evil being or spirit.but dwell in the holy ghost fire which can lead us in right direction.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by ETHIX(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
clevvermind:
so God can harden someone's heart to fulfil a particular assignment whether positive or negative?

So u don't know ? Just that people neglect some part of the scriptures and stick to the part that intrest them. The same hand GOD uses to bless he also use to slap. The same anointing the bless people can be used to kill. It all depends on which side are you. Sin separates us from God and all he wants is true and complete repentance.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by veraiyke(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
Let m attempt. First such a question amounts to asking y is der a poor n a rich person? D poor n d rich r dey nt d making of same God? Again, doh God's foreknowledge is nt in question, yet man is a free moral agent. God knew d hrt condition of Pharaoh n so used it to show his strenght in Egypt. On a second tot Pharaoh was dominated by d Devil
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2015
adexsimply:

What a merciful and loving God! cool
Wouldn't it have been easier if he had just used his omnipotent power to change Pharaoh's mind instead of allowing the carnage?

Then there will be no need for the free will he gave us if you are advocating that god should change pharawos mind
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by haibe(m): 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hiswordxray:
Yes God can harden people heart but that is not an infringement on our free will. God can only harden the heart of those who had already harden their heart. God knows how weak people are and how they could easily run away from the problem they have put themselves into.
Pharaoh had already harden his heart towards God. And God being a righteous judge wanted to punish him severely but He knows that Pharaoh will easily give in if he sees just a little of God's judgment. So God had to harden his heart so that he could remain and continue in his evil until God had completely avenge His people by giving Pharaoh the fullness of the punishment he deserves.
So God's act of hardening Pharaoh's heart is His way of keeping Pharaoh in the prison until he had sever his time. Pharaoh had to remain in his evil works for God to have enough time to completely pour out His cup of wrath on him.

bro u are only trying to defend God in detriment of Scripture contradiction. The bible clearly states in Romans that pharoah heart was harden in order to fulfil God's will. It's the same with judas and co, they were all manipulated to fulfill God's will. If there was no judas, they won't be redemption of sin by the death of Christ today. The only thing is to pray that God guides you still because this God we are serving is really mysterious.

Once again, the concept of freewill is only an illusion. Total freewill does not exist, if it does then there is no need for God to be angry about our actions which he allowed.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by haibe(m): 9:49pm On Jan 25, 2015
veraiyke:
Let m attempt. First such a question amounts to asking y is der a poor n a rich person? D poor n d rich r dey nt d making of same God? Again, doh God's foreknowledge is nt in question, yet man is a free moral agent. God knew d hrt condition of Pharaoh n so used it to show his strenght in Egypt. On a second tot Pharaoh was dominated by d Devil

Nah. Don't try to defend the bible. The bible made it clear that pharoah was hardened by God to fulfill his will, not like he had any offence before. Everything was planned, or technically, programmed.
Re: Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? by clevvermind(m): 9:50pm On Jan 25, 2015
BabaGnoni:

Why not let's thoroughly deal with this "why do God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart?" seemingly confusing and difficult question,
before darting from magicians, witch, idols etc on to "some later believe in God and went out of Egypt with the Israelite" etc.

In the same vein, you do know that it was, those some, who later "believed" in God and went out of Egypt with the Israelite that instigated the Israelites to build and worship the golden calf

Making FP is overrated. Brace yourself for a market place and not just more views when/if it hits FP
u are only obfuscating the issue. i have already quoted the scripture that gave the clue as to why God harden his heart. that was what i am explaining here. i'm not clamouring for fp as you suppose but other people's view is needed here. thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CAN Criticises Churches For Inviting Nollywood Celebrities, Musicians & Comedian / Share The Experience Of Your Salvation Here. / Pastor Tunde Bakare: A Bastard Can’t Rule The Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.