Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (34919 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by ikeyman00(m): 11:08pm On Mar 15, 2015
@@@@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FobNhY1LNbw

to all the fools oh i forget the so called Niger delta people

asari saying as an ijaw man he has Igbo blood

listen from 10.30

south south my foot

the so called niger delta will not save those foooling around in the name of niger delta

we are building a country and not a community

all hail Biafra

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 15, 2015
cheruv:

we'd love to see what you'd do when Igbos come to incorporate those Igboid areas lying in the SS grin yes you love the SS,but its clear you detest the Igbo parts of the SS angry
enjoy the waving flag smiley

Class0247 is a Yoruba man. These people literally cringe at any news of unity between SS and SE. Yoruba people. ..leave us SS alone, we have the right to decide who to be with.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Zellie: 11:52pm On Mar 15, 2015
Interesting. My surname is Ajayi and I'm from the 'South-south', wouldn't it sound funny saying I'm kind of Igbo
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Ezemust: 6:15am On Mar 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

Why and how

insult is the trade mark
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 16, 2015
ikeyman00:
@@@@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FobNhY1LNbw

to all the fools oh i forget the so called Niger delta people

asari saying as an ijaw man he has Igbo blood

listen from 10.30

south south my foot

the so called niger delta will not save those foooling around in the name of niger delta

we are building a country and not a community

all hail Biafra
he has igbo blood because I think his mother or grandmother is igbo.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by ikeyman00(m): 1:56pm On Mar 16, 2015
@@@@@

They think they are smart but we know better now. They have disenfranchise us by dragging our people in the so called river state; dragged some into edo and mess around with akwaibom and calabar

people are waking up! it just a matter of time

time to unite

all hail Biafra
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jazzydee: 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2015
pazienza:

Mkpukpuagu, Ogbuagu and Ohaobu are Ndoki Igbo groups that were put in Akwa ibom state after the war. Ndoki land was balkanized after the war by Igbo enemies, in bid to deprive East central state of any oil bearing land, the non oil producing part of Ndoki was left in current Abia state, the oil producing parts were splits into two, one part in Oyigbo LGA of Rivers state which they share with Asa people, another balkanized Igbo group, the second part is in Ukanafun LGA in Akwa ibom state,where they are minorities to the Ananng.

theinknewspaper..com/2014/08/aksg-to-commence-free-education-at.html

Do you also know that there are many indigenous Ibibio people in abia state who speak ibibio, bear ibibio names their towns and villages have ibibio names and have ibibio ancestry? The present day arochukwu and all its people have ibibio blood flowing in them and are of ibibio ancestry.
Akwa Ibom people don't go around claiming Arochukwu as theirs even though every arochukwu man and women Know of a fact that they are indigenous ibibio people.

Since there are ibibio speaking communities and people of ibibio ancestry in Abia State, may be Ibibios should claim Arochukwu, and all ibibio speaking communities in Abia State as their land following your logic!

For your information there is no oil producing area in Ukanafun or any local government in ikot ekpene senatorial district in which your imaginary igbo people of Ukanafun belong.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by pazienza(m): 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2015
jazzydee:

Do you also know that there are many indigenous Ibibio people in abia state who speak ibibio, bear ibibio names and have ibibio acestry? The present day arochukwu and all its people have ibibio blood flowing in them and are of ibibio ancestry.
Akwa Ibom people don't go around claiming Arochukwu as theirs even though every arochukwu man and women Know of a fact that they are indigenous ibibio people.

Since there are ibibio speaking communities and people of ibibio ancestry in Abia State, may be Ibibios should claim Abia State as their land following your logic!

For your information there is no oil producing area in Ukanafun or any local government in ikot ekpene senatorial district in which your imaginary igbo people of Ukanafun belong.

I never said that the Ndoki communities in Akwa ibom are oil producing, i only grouped them with the oil producing ones that was placed in Oyigbo LGA of Rivers, since either way,they were both carved out of the mainstream Igboland.

Of course,i know that Akwa ibom oil wells are majorly Offshore.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jazzydee: 8:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
pazienza:

Don't say what you don't know. We have indigenous Ndoki Igbo towns that was carved into the defunct South Eastern state, now Akwa ibom state, after the war. Ohaobu is one of those Ndoki Igbo towns, and no, they are not bilingual natively, they are native Ndoki Igbo speakers,but some of them are fluent in Ibibio because they have Ibibio neighbours.

All Akwa Ibom towns in the border with Abia State are bilingual same goes for the border towns in Abia state with akwa ibom. Dont be confused by the language dexterity of the dwellers of those border towns.

Itu and Uruan LGA which borders Calabar in Cross river state have predominant Efik Speakers, that doesn't make them Efik People even though their language of choice is Efik. They are ibibio people to the core.

Akpabuyo, Odukpani etc is inhabited with Ibibio speakers and ancestral ibibio people but they are in cross river state and most will deny their ibibio ancestry even though their language of choice is Ibibio and they all bear ibibio names.
My point is that people at borders be it state or nation have a lot of similarities with their neighbours.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by pazienza(m): 8:53pm On Mar 16, 2015
The Arochukwu case isn't the same as those Ndoki Igbo communities, for they are Igbo speaking,and not Annang speaking, they only speak Annang as a second language.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by pazienza(m): 8:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
jazzydee:

All Akwa Ibom towns in the border with Abia State are bilingual same goes for the border towns in Abia state with akwa ibom. Dont be confused by the language dexterity of the dwellers of those border towns.

Itu and Uruan LGA which borders Calabar in Cross river state have predominant Efik Speakers, that doesn't make them Efik People even though their language of choice is Efik. They are ibibio people to the core.

Akpabuyo, Odukpani etc is inhabited with Ibibio speakers and ancestral ibibio people but they are in cross river state and most will deny their ibibio ancestry even though their language of choice is Ibibio and they all bear ibibio names.
My point is that people at borders be it state or nation have a lot of similarities with their neighbours.

Ohaobu, Mkpukpuagu,Ogbuagu are not Ibibio towns, look at the names of the towns for crying out loud, they are Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jazzydee: 9:02pm On Mar 16, 2015
pazienza:
The Arochukwu case isn't the same as those Ndoki Igbo communities, for they are Igbo speaking,and not Annang speaking, they only speak Annang as a second language.
Are you from Ndoki?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by pazienza(m): 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
jazzydee:
Are you from Ndoki?

No, but i have spent some time in Azumini Ndoki, i have a friend from there.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by udeh3(m): 10:06am On Mar 17, 2015
Blitz888:

In case you don't know your Rivers well may I use this opportunity to enlighten you and the ignorant swathe you're delibrately misleading.
Etche,Omoku, ahoada, opobo, andoni, ndoni all speak dfferent forms of the Igbo language as it is evident today in their names.
It is common place today to find people from this areas with Igbo names like UCHE, ODILI, CHIBUDOM NWUCHE, CHIZOBA,EMEKA,CHIKA etc
Notice I deliberately mentioned the full name of a one time speaker of the lower legislative house who happen to hail from Ahoada in Rivers State and speaks Epkeye which is a 'corrupted' version of the Igbo language.
*modified *

May be you did not read my statement well, I said the Ikweres. Those tribe you just mentioned now, which language do they speak if not Ikwere. Are the Ikwere people or are they the only tribe in River state?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by udeh3(m): 10:12am On Mar 17, 2015
lomprico:

What is ur tribe? There is no tribe like south-south.
By the way udeh is an igbo name.

The problem I have with some people in NL they think they know all, not knowing that they know nothing! Udeh is not only a name in the Ibo land. I'm from the Isoko ethnic group in Delta state and Udeh means 'The native cream' , I means the one made from palm kernel
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by ngoziiwenofu1: 10:14am On Mar 17, 2015
Yes we are all one. We have things in common.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Blitz888(m): 10:47am On Mar 17, 2015
udeh3:

May be you did not read my statement well, I said the Ikweres. Those tribe you just mentioned now, which language do they speak if not Ikwere. Are the Ikwere people or are they the only tribe in River state?
Bro they all don't speak ikwere..
Did you miss the part where I said the Ahaoda people speak Epkeye?
Omoku, Etche, Opobo, Ndoni and Andoni all don't speak ikwere... Do your research.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
pazienza:

I never said that the Ndoki communities in Akwa ibom are oil producing, i only grouped them with the oil producing ones that was placed in Oyigbo LGA of Rivers, since either way,they were both carved out of the mainstream Igboland.

Of course,i know that Akwa ibom oil wells are majorly Offshore.
I like d way u explained it to him, in his imagination he was probably thinking dat u were trying to convince him dat doz towns were Igbos because they have oil in it... thank God he knows they don't have oil... as most of dz imaginary southsouth ppl think anytime we igbo's are arguing sth with them is because of oil, as d yorubas have made dem believe.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
Blitz888:

Omoku, Etche, Opobo, Ndoni and Andoni all don't speak ikwere... Do your research.
Ahoada, omoku, ndoni, etche re igboid communitues they even bear igbo names, while opobo and Andoni re ijaw.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by udeh3(m): 4:15pm On Mar 17, 2015
Blitz888:

So with what you are saying Ahaoda is Ibo?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lomprico(m): 5:00pm On Mar 17, 2015
udeh3:

The problem I have with some people in NL they think they know all, not knowing that they know nothing! Udeh is not only a name in the Ibo land. I'm from the Isoko ethnic group in Delta state and Udeh means 'The native cream' , I means the one made from palm kernel
And u fall in the category of those that know nothing! I just asked my isoko friend n he says the cream u refer here is called 'oribi', udeh means cream or pomade in igbo and also it means grace too, and its beard as a name in igbo land.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by siokpe: 5:37pm On Mar 17, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

Geographically, any state south of the Benue River down to the bight of Biafra is Eastern Nigeria. I am from Benue, geographically we are in the East. Did you not study geography and now about cardinal points? South south is political than geographical. What do you think makes Aba and PH to be in different region? Is it vegetation? Is it climate and weather? I think south south is a creation of the Ekwueme committee to give south East minorities a voice. I ask myself, why is Benue in North? One day we shall know the truth.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by B2mario(m): 2:39pm On Jul 09, 2015
size38:
Those who say that are still living in the past. We have gone past that stage in life. As it is today, I see myself first as a Nigerian. Second, a Rivers and south-south man. South East is a word used during, before Naija civil war and during independence too. As it is today, am a south-south man. Am a Rivers man. Am a Nigerian. South- East are the Igbos.

Yes, we are the great Igbos and nothing changes that.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 25, 2015
that was the old classification
originally it was just two, north and south before amalgamation
then later classified into just northern western and eastern region( southern region divided into west and east)
some part of present southern region was part of western region then, while some part was also part of the eastern region.
e.g edo and delta was part of western region then( bendel) , before they became mid western state...so any time they refer to SS as east they are not carrying the whole SS along.
i heard some part of ijaw was and is still part of western state till now(ondo state) not so sure about this....you could find out.
while the ogonis, others was classified under eastern region
both Ss,Sw,Se are from southern region
so that does not make the ijaws and the ogonis to be igbo or yoruba, they are not related except the ikwerre, nd som other part (and thats if they aggree, cz my ikwerre friends said they are not igbo).
all this is just classification with eastern part having majority to b igbos
western having majority to be yoruba
northern having majority to be hausa fulani.
as time goes it was necessary for clear classification. the yorubas, igbos have to be separated, to form their own zone from minority so their voice can be heard too down to the north into 6 geo political zone..
some of the present SS that was part of eastern region even complained about the igbo cheating and denying them of equal right then, they even fought against them during the biafra war.
the six political zone are
Ne
Nw
Nc
Sw( yoruba)
Ss(ijaw,ogoni,edo,delta,etc)
Se( igbo)

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 9jaStar: 2:15pm On Jan 09, 2016
jkross:
b

nwanne opobo was never and has never been igbo land..trade and slave trade took the language there

Tell them. The language of the Bonny/Opobo people is Ibani. Which has no relationship at all to Igbo. Their culture is also totally different from Igbo.

Trade is what took the Igbos there, and the Igbo language was widely used for trade. So most people of that area can speak a sort of Igbo dialect. But it is not their language. And they certainly don't consider themselves Igbos
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 9jaStar: 2:35pm On Jan 09, 2016
Scholes007:

Don't deceive yourself. The vast majority of the people in the parts outside of the Igbo areas did not want any part of Biafra. That is why the Igbos termed them 'saboteurs' and killed people indiscriminately. We will not forget. And we will not be part of any Igbo agenda.

If you Igbos want Biafra (and a lot of the educated/intelligent Igbo friends I know are not interested), that's your problem. But don't try to rope others into it for your own interests. It won't work

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 9jaStar: 2:47pm On Jan 09, 2016
pazienza:

No sensible Igbo man would want to have foreign entities like Itsekiri,Ijaw,Uhrobo,Isoko and the rest in our Republic. We are simply not on the same wavelength with those groups, they are surplus to requirement. Igbo republic is strictly for speakers of Igbo dialects. The only non Igbo speaking group that would always be welcomed are the Akwa ibom and Cross river groups.

Exactly!!
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Ballmer: 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2016
safarigirl:
I know all about that angle, I was a history student in secondary school (A plus even till WAEC grin) ....I just want to know why there is double speak in Nigeria

There is no such term as South South in Geography, only Nigeria uses that word

If you are truly brilliant you would understand people or country generate words according to their needs.

Why are the Arab countries termed as the Middle East when all you have been thought your entire life till date is North South East n West ? What about the Far East ?

Why do you Biafra agitators have brains and deliberately chose not to use it ? Does you brain diminish each time you reason with it to the extent that you'd rather save the little brain you have till your grave ?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 9jaStar: 2:54pm On Jan 09, 2016
pazienza:

I know it must hurt when you feel wanted, only to find out that you are insignificant and totally of no use to the Igbo future plans. Deal with it.

Thank you.

Now please educate your Igbo brothers that we non-Igbos in the South South region are not interested in joining

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Amberon: 2:54pm On Jan 09, 2016
Thank you!!! You're a lot wiser than many people on NL whose modus operandi is to cjutn out insults.
Joel3:
look here everyboday.

Education.

In time past we only have the one nigeria. Then the white called it northern nigeria and southern nigeria.... that is two.

And been that there were three major ethic group in nigeria. the hausa, yoruba and ibo. So it was then breakdown into this three region.

Namely Northern nigeria, Western nigeria And eastern nigeria. This are regional government. although both western nigeria and eastern nigeria is still regarded as southern nigeria even when it was break.

so during this period nigeria practice regional government. And each region has it state police and financial control then it pay 60% tax to the center government called nigeria.

The so called south south today is all part of eastern nigeria.

During the time of oil boom, the military seized regional power and made a decree to control all resources and share allocation to region instead of collecting from region, since they learnt that some region will be rich and very powerful and some will be poor.

and which means nigeria will breakup this way so they seize all power and start breaking regions to state to divided people from coming together or planning togather.

IBB increase state from 8 to 18 then further more to 36.

During the oil boom it was billions of dollars that override all other sector with 90%. Then all attention was directed to oil.

The oil boom and too much money leeds to corruption and this destroy nigeria. They abandon all other resources or sector and focus more on stealing the oil proceed from the eastern nigeria.

They then remove regional school and police and then make it federal state and federal schools.

During the time of IBB. IBB was scared of the eastern nigeria since the money is coming from a minority group in the east..

IBB quickly break this region into 2 in tin line where the oil is and removing the Ibo tribe from it.. now called south- east. Since it cannot be could eastern nigeria anymore.

So The other part there is no other better name to call it other then south - south. Since southern nigeria already means but western and eastern nigeria as earlier explain.

Then they break the north from middle and east for selfish reasons. So that why we have north central known as middle belt. North east. Then the north.

That why we do not have north - north.

So the formal western nigeria is then called south west.

I hope this help.

If you find it useful click like.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Ballmer: 3:19pm On Jan 09, 2016
Ngwakwe:

They have already answered the op's questions.

There is no cardinal point called SS, NN, WW or EE in Geography hence no location should be address as such.

With regards to Akwaibom and Cross River States being referred to Eastern Nigeria (which is not a State but a location on the map) both were called South-Eastern State while South East States of today were known as East-Central State

Who knows those states as South-Eastern state n East Central state ? Who coined that name East Central state ?

There are two senseless thought in your narration

1. You coined a name East Central state to distinguish a region but in your warped logic you have forgotten you are criticising why a word/name South South should be coined for for Akwa Ibom n Cross Rivers.

Is there any cardinal point called South Central or East Central in the history of the world ?

2. You biafrans foolishly reason with your anus believing you alone have the monopoly of good reasoning or the monopoly to coin any fictitious name to caress your ego.

If South South is not right South East Central or any other name you conjure can be and will only be senseless so figure out your own brand of foolishness n stop parading it here.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Scholes007(m): 8:54pm On Jan 09, 2016
9jaStar:

Don't deceive yourself. The vast majority of the people in the parts outside of the Igbo areas did not want any part of Biafra. That is why the Igbos termed them 'saboteurs' and killed people indiscriminately. We will not forget. And we will not be part of any Igbo agenda.

If you Igbos want Biafra (and a lot of the educated/intelligent Igbo friends I know are not interested), that's your problem. But don't try to rope others into it for your own interests. It won't work
ok i will not want unnecessary arguement. Thanks for you observation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Edo Election: Police Arrest Corper For Election Malpractice / Oby Ezekwesili Appointed Nexford University Board Of Directors Member / I Will Expose Muazu Underhand Dealings With APC – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.