Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (34920 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Ezemust: 10:44am On Mar 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

This is the stupidity of the highest order ..I wonder what happened to education and the quality we are churning out is disturbing

Now you assume my moniker is English so I am an English and I should comprehend Your idiotic submission

What

I just can't believe this . So in your grandiose illiteracy Anthony and Christopher is an English name. I just laugh

If Anthony is an English name maybe you say that Emmanuel is an English name

Now I believe that you used Toto to graduate

These are not English names for heaven sake ..are you this daft . Can't you just Google names and their origins

Elliot is English name
Marriott English name

Not anthony not Christopher

Your education is wasted

The money used foe your education should have been used to built a brothel or whorehouse

Now never you quote me again

Rest in peace
diz must be a Yoruba boy

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by pazienza(m): 11:23am On Mar 15, 2015
jazzydee:

where are they which local government. stop lying

Mkpukpuagu, Ogbuagu and Ohaobu are Ndoki Igbo groups that were put in Akwa ibom state after the war. Ndoki land was balkanized after the war by Igbo enemies, in bid to deprive East central state of any oil bearing land, the non oil producing part of Ndoki was left in current Abia state, the oil producing parts were splits into two, one part in Oyigbo LGA of Rivers state which they share with Asa people, another balkanized Igbo group, the second part is in Ukanafun LGA in Akwa ibom state,where they are minorities to the Ananng.

theinknewspaper..com/2014/08/aksg-to-commence-free-education-at.html
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Mordyb: 12:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
There is no such thing as south south in geographical cardinal points. Only in the demented minds of nigerian "elites" would such terms get coined up to divide Igbo people. I went to Akwa Ibom the other day and was surprised to see Igbo communities speaking Igbo like me and telling me they are south south.

Look at google map of akwa ibom. You'll see "Nwaigwe", "Obete Ukwu" and other Igbo towns.
I just wish this Ohaneze will unite all Igbos only under one state and start fighting for real autonomy.
i refuse to be termed a south easterner for many reason just like the failed marriage called Nigeria. my belief would be shared by those that were alive in the sixties who will agree with me that the south south was dragged into the senseless civil war with most of the causualty being the south south people and biafra abandoned them to their fate and yet they didnt allow the south south join nigeria. they only claim united when it come to sharing south south wealth. there is popular saying of my kinsmmen that i was possible that in those days that Ojukwu and Gowon was sipping tea while the innocent were fighting for a cause they couldnt persecute to the end

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by ow11(m): 12:53pm On Mar 15, 2015
Again see Nigerians abusing each other over silly titles.

Eastern Nigeria using Abuja as the centre is Old Gongola state! The important thing missing from this argument is that respondents have left out the second bit of the term 'geo-political'.

The South-South is a misnomer geographically just like the term that gives it a name. It was coined for that reason. Maybe it should have been called just South or more aptly ''South-South East & South West'' since it is geographically south of the south west zone and south of the south east zone. grin

It is as silly as the old Mid-West Region or even Middle East. Can anything be in the Middle of the East geographically? These are all 'geo-political' terms and whatever silly name we assign to them is valid in the context of the second bit of the name (i.e. political).

However, the thread starter was concerned about a double standard in naming which I don't think exists because it is valid to call PH an Eastern HQ since some people would be talking in terms of actual geographical location of the operational bases of their businesses relative to one another and the 'geo-political' zones are just that and not actual regions with a government. I am sure if they eventually become administrative regions, they would all have proper names (e.g. Oodua, Biafra, Delta, Sahel, Savanna and Iullumedden) rendering this argument moot.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by coverTRadar(m): 1:21pm On Mar 15, 2015
8 pages, n no meaningful answer yet...
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by coverTRadar(m): 1:25pm On Mar 15, 2015
The term 'south-south', is because Nigeria is divided between north &and south
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
Mordyb:
i refuse to be termed a south easterner for many reason just like the failed marriage called Nigeria. my belief would be shared by those that were alive in the sixties who will agree with me that the south south was dragged into the senseless civil war with most of the causualty being the south south people and biafra abandoned them to their fate and yet they didnt allow the south south join nigeria. they only claim united when it come to sharing south south wealth. there is popular saying of my kinsmmen that i was possible that in those days that Ojukwu and Gowon was sipping tea while the innocent were fighting for a cause they couldnt persecute to the end

What is the meaning of south south?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 1:52pm On Mar 15, 2015
Thank lord you have confirmed your tribe cowardice

We fight whether we win or not is imaterrial thats why the mention of biafran scares you badly

Why.....cod your cowarf

xtervaganza:
a man with idiotic attributes is one who fights a war he has no chance of winning.

A tribe without idiotic attributes is one that follows a foolish leader to their certain death blindly only for their zero coward leader to elope grin grin grin
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 15, 2015
Mordyb:
pls explain these ur southsouth wealth... and who re d ppl claiming united?

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Blitz888(m): 2:22pm On Mar 15, 2015
udeh3:

Who told you that Rivers are Ibos? The only tribe out of all d tribes in Rivers that speaks like the ibos are the Ikwere people. So Rivers are not ibos!

I remember the first time I came to the West, anybody that refers to me uses the word 'omo ibo ni'. It takes some level of explanation to actually let them know that I'm not an Ibo person that I'm from the south-south
In case you don't know your Rivers well may I use this opportunity to enlighten you and the ignorant swathe you're delibrately misleading.
Etche,Omoku, ahoada, opobo, andoni, ndoni all speak dfferent forms of the Igbo language as it is evident today in their names.
It is common place today to find people from this areas with Igbo names like UCHE, ODILI, CHIBUDOM NWUCHE, CHIZOBA,EMEKA,CHIKA etc
Notice I deliberately mentioned the full name of a one time speaker of the lower legislative house who happen to hail from Ahoada in Rivers State and speaks Epkeye which is a 'corrupted' version of the Igbo language.
*modified *

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
Guy leave Nkoro from your write up, they don't speak Igbo Except who lived or living Opobo Town, I did my Nysc there, they speak Ijaw. Kind of language, They can hear okrika people when they speak but Okrika people can't understand them when they speak.
Blitz888:

In case you don't know your Rivers well may I use this opportunity to enlighten you and the ignorant swathe you're delibrately misleading.
Etche,Omoku, ahoada, opobo nkoro, andoni, ndoni all speak dfferent forms of the Igbo language as it is evident today in their names.
It is common place today to find people from this areas with Igbo names like UCHE, ODILI, CHIBUDOM NWUCHE, CHIZOBA,EMEKA,CHIKA etc
Notice I deliberately mentioned the full name of a one time speaker of the lower legislative house who happen to hail from Ahoada in Rivers State and speaks Epkeye which is a 'corrupted' version of the Igbo language.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Mosenge: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2015
Abagworo:
If you take a look at this map you will notice the area I marked
with red line covering Akwa Ibom and Cross River States. That
area is geographicaly Southeast. Igboland could either be East
central or South central as against wrongly termed Southeast.
Niger Delta consists mainly Rivers,Bayelsa and Delta States with
small fractions of Imo and Abia States. South-South is a wrong
coinage for Southern minorities or more precisely parts of the
South outside Igbo and Yoruba area.
So in essence none of the terms used represents reality.

Oh! how interesting. I've finally heard one who reason like me on this particular topic i had with friends long ago. I was disappointed how it ended with no logical conclusion, though with facts i presented to my pairs presumably young brains as we were at the time. I can see signs of those aliens still breeding around. Their reasoning are politically disjointed with regional & tribal sentiments, ochestrated by who they pay their allegiance to. When a Nigerian share in a matter, you hadly get solution, rather more wahala. Is this real or a joke? Must nigerians joke with everything? Good lord help us. Anyway, thank you dear for this topic.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by iiiyyyk(m): 4:18pm On Mar 15, 2015
There is nothing like south south, u can never see any sensable internatiinal org use that term.
Its one of those term that makes nigeria looks stupid out side the globe.

What we have in south nigeria is
Sw, east central and south east.
The area we call ss today is part east central and part se.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by iiiyyyk(m): 4:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
A little geography class.
Cardinal Directions are the most commonly
used forms of direction. and include North,
South, East and West.
The four equal divisions - Northeast,
Southeast, Southwest and Northwest - are
called Primary InterCardinal directions.
Additional subdivisions indicated on the
compass rose, between the Cardinal and
Primary InterCardinal directions are in fact
called Secondary InterCardinal directions,
but they are hardly ever used. Example: North-
Northeast.
If the center is a big area, can call it central region eg cetral london. u can still split the center to north center or south center.
TN every area east of north is north east, every area west of north is north west every area east of south is south east.
Despite how long south of africa is from the center, we still do not have south south africa.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by heavenstorm: 5:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ibos with there grab grab lifestyle... Na fire go burn una
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by irokop(m): 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2015
Well OP I have been reading this your thread from page one to this eight we are now, however some posters are making a huge sense whilst some are just trash.

From my understanding and common sensecally, revers state bayelsa akwa ibom cross rivers delta state all was among the states that was made up to south Eastern region, because of easy sharering of allocation and in other to wicking the Biafra and Igbos they came up with 6 giopolitical zones.

South south is children from south east no doubt about that cos of obvious reasons, many towns and villages in rivers state are Igbo speaking clans but because of their stupidity and fears of Hausa and Fulani who have been diciving the since during and after Biafra Nigerian war, they become so afraid to assert that they are Igbos.

They bear Igbo names they eat Igbo food they have Igbo culture they can not do without the Igbos cos they are Igbos they can not leave Igbo women alone check all their elites they all married Igbo women from peter odili who's wife is from mbaise to chibuike Amechi and others, there is no time in this life that one will run away from his or her shadow.

Can some body from north central state say he or she is not from the north? Answer is no that's how it is with the south south, the earlier the old eastern region comes together the better for them all. God bless us all
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by OneNaira6: 5:53pm On Mar 15, 2015
scholes0:

Point remains the majority of people of the present SS have NOTHING to do with you or your region.
even in the so called igbo region of Delta state- just go to Agbor or Ogwashi uku.
Another Akwa Ibom guy already said the same thing on the top of this page..... so please leave SS alone.

This is why I hate f2king Yorubas. All that tribe does is try to cause division on ethnicities that's not their own. They fucking worse than the northerners I swear. **spits on the floor**.

Dude stfu and speak only what you know. Never include ogwashi in una mischievous comments.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by shady26(m): 6:05pm On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up
Have you ever seen the map of Nigeria before? pls kindly locate were Akwaibom or crossriver is on the map then come and clean this your post.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by OneNaira6: 6:13pm On Mar 15, 2015
As others have said it's political created by the north and west to "liberate the minorities from Igbo" but the reality was they created it to make it easier for them to steal oil from SS without anyone questioning them. If SE Igbos were still in control of Eastern Nigerian, best believe the oil exploration and daylight stealing coming from yoruba and northerners would have been less than what it is today.
I picked up on that shit as I age, the whole "giving minorities independent" was coined to distract us from the real reality. Let's think about it, I'm Igbo yet my people's land is in Delta thus I'm classified as a "SS". Why are my people under the political region created to "give minorities independence" from "igbo" and "yoruba". I recently befriended this dude that's from rivers but also igbo according to him. Similar to I, his people's land are in common day river thus classified as "SS". Why are his people under a political region created to "liberate minorities". I honestly started seeing it for what it truly is as I age.
Let's think about it, after the creation of "SS", north exploration and oil thievery increased tremendously. Most oil blocks was giving out to either a northern or western and none to "minorities". Another one is that most oil companies headquarters were "liberated" out of rivers and delta and put in Lagos.

The entire nation is a huge cheat in my eyes. Coining words to validate their cheating.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by GenIgrigi: 6:26pm On Mar 15, 2015
OneNaira6:
As others have said it's political created by the north and west to "liberate the minorities from Igbo" but the reality was they created it to make it easier for them to steal oil from SS without anyone questioning them. If SE Igbos were still in control of Eastern Nigerian, best believe the oil exploration and daylight stealing coming from yoruba and northerners would have been less than what it is today.
I picked up on that shit as I age, the whole "giving minorities independent" was coined to distract us from the real reality. Let's think about it, I'm Igbo yet my people's land is in Delta thus I'm classified as a "SS". Why are my people under the political region created to "give minorities independence" from "igbo" and "yoruba". I recently befriended this dude that's from rivers but also igbo according to him. Similar to I, his people's land are in common day river thus classified as "SS". Why are his people under a political region created to "liberate minorities". I honestly started seeing it for what it truly is as I age.
Let's think about it, after the creation of "SS", north exploration and oil thievery increased tremendously. Most oil blocks was giving out to either a northern or western and none to "minorities". Another one is that most oil companies headquarters were "liberated" out of rivers and delta and put in Lagos.

The entire nation is a huge cheat in my eyes. Coining words to validate their cheating.

**grins** LOL @ bolded. My brother Nigeria is a funny place. The minorities were "liberated from Igbos" and their oil was in turn "liberated from them for tranfer to the North and SW". **LOLS**

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by xtervaganza(m): 6:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
tonychristopher:
Thank lord you have confirmed your tribe cowardice

We fight whether we win or not is imaterrial thats why the mention of biafran scares you badly

Why.....cod your cowarf

so says the foolish omo nna whose leader urged them to run away form the north during election

You ain't scared eh you're just running marathon inside the stiffed hus used in sending you pigs to your barren land
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by manny4life(m): 8:11pm On Mar 15, 2015
LoveDecay:

Please use Wikipedia and get informed - I know you won't understand the detailed literature in this case. I bet you never new The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli was in part foreign policy. Each country has a foreign policy ..... Blah blah.blah my fingers are tire

Lmao...Pathetic.

You need help because I can't really help your rant. What's my business with foreign policy? What's my business with literature and Machiavelli? Like seriously, what's has these got to do with me? And to think of an expert recommending I use Wikipedia to get informed shows your level of intelligence. Please seek help immediately and stay away from quoting me. cool
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 15, 2015
My own is dat my only business is with igbos and anything igbos, I won't put mouth on sth dat does not involve me, I can't go to warri, and start dragging any portion with them, neitger can I go to Lagos or kano and do same. What baffles me is how all of a sudden sm of the igbos speaking towns of the southsouth start tracing there origin to benin... and saying they have nothing to do with igbos, I wonder a place where ppl wud migrate from smwere that has a different name, culture, language and dressing and start speaking that of there neighbours... of they migrated from Benin, u don't they bear benin names or speak any form of benin language but it's igbo they choose...
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
Also I wud like to know d reason behind d creation of d eastern southsouth... if Eastern minorities were being marginalized by the larger igbo majority while did they still put igbos in dz same southsouth, y didn't they create it exclusively for minorities...
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by MayorofLagos(m): 8:54pm On Mar 15, 2015
heavenstorm:
Ibos with there grab grab lifestyle... Na fire go burn una

Mayor of Lagos has endorsed this message! cheesy
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by kingi777: 9:50pm On Mar 15, 2015
BBC/VOA and other foreign radio stations call RIvers, Cross river, Akwa Ibom and other States in the east, eastern Nigeria. I heard them mocking and laughing at the mention of South south. Likewise, they mention Western Nigeria, Northern Nigeria, North East or North West or Central Nigeria city of Jos for eg. In my opinion, South south is born out of selfish interest and purely political.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Neplusultra(f): 10:13pm On Mar 15, 2015
tonychristopher:
Wise men always come from the east
Seconded!
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Neplusultra(f): 10:16pm On Mar 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

Don't come here and display your intellectual monkeyed notion

What happened to research ..oh u use Toto to graduate

What type of a graduate are you

Not doing geography is not an excuse it shows your intellectually bereft

My 2 cents
The question sef is not an honest one, just wants to start strife
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Neplusultra(f): 10:19pm On Mar 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

This is the stupidity of the highest order ..I wonder what happened to education and the quality we are churning out is disturbing

Now you assume my moniker is English so I am an English and I should comprehend Your idiotic submission

What

I just can't believe this . So in your grandiose illiteracy Anthony and Christopher is an English name. I just laugh

If Anthony is an English name maybe you say that Emmanuel is an English name

Now I believe that you used Toto to graduate

These are not English names for heaven sake ..are you this daft . Can't you just Google names and their origins

Elliot is English name
Marriott English name

Not anthony not Christopher

Your education is wasted

The money used foe your education should have been used to built a brothel or whorehouse

Now never you quote me again

Rest in peace
Lmao!!!! Easy dere cheesy
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Neplusultra(f): 10:23pm On Mar 15, 2015
mhizenugu:
Why don't you just go Bleep yourself?? You dumb bitcb!!
Omg!!! grin grin
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Neplusultra(f): 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
E no go better for dose white men and d Nigerian counterparts
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 10:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
Why and how

Ezemust:
diz must be a Yoruba boy

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Will Expose Muazu Underhand Dealings With APC – Fayose / Rivers Peace Accord: How Tinubu Ended Wike’s Dreams Of Becoming Jagaban - Eze / PHOTOS: Ambode At APC Presidential Primary In Epe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.